Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Houston/Minnesota

Old
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
mncdn

vCash: 500
Houston/Minnesota

I just finished reading the prospects report from NHL.com and it got me thinking. In mid season would Wild fans enjoy watching the Houston Aeros at the Excel for a game or two? Would the AHL allow it? Would the Aeros be on board?

Personally I would love to get a look at how the farm team is doing. If they can’t get the team to play here I think it would be great to see the Aeros on FSN a few times a year.

Thoughts?

mncdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Jbcraig1883

I can't recall the exact year but this has been done in the past.

As far as your question is concerned, I'd love to see a few of their games on FSN, as well as attend any games that they would play at the X.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Pepsi12pac

I would go to an Aero's game in a heartbeat, provided they were playing at a discount price vs the NHL price.

Also, I would love for FSN to broadcast some of their game too. That would be a great idea.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Pioneer13

Was done twice. Lockout year they faced Grand Rapids and a year or two prior to that they played Milwaukee featuring Wyatt Smith. He fought Lawrence Nycholat that game.

By the way...there is no "E" in Xcel.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
axecrew

I think you'd be better off with TV. Most fans,along with the Aeros,will scream if you take away one or two home games from them. Think about the loss of revenue for Houston. How do they re-coup that money?

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
I'd love to see minor league games on TV.
The more hockey on TV the better IMO.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Pioneer13

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
I think you'd be better off with TV. Most fans,along with the Aeros,will scream if you take away one or two home games from them. Think about the loss of revenue for Houston. How do they re-coup that money?
Aeros are owned by MSE, same group that owns the Wild so loss of revenue wouldn't be a factor if they sold enough tickets. Die-hard fans would surely be pissed though.

This is why it makes little or no sense that the Wild uses Houston as their AHL affiliate and the Stars use Des Moines as theirs. Imagine how easy the road trip would be for either teams fans to see the prospects. Not to mention GM and scouts could drive to games and wouldn't even need to stay the night if they didn't have to.

Makes too much sense.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 03:19 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer13 View Post
Aeros are owned by MSE, same group that owns the Wild so loss of revenue wouldn't be a factor if they sold enough tickets. Die-hard fans would surely be pissed though.
Have the Wild play one of their games in Houston, and the Aeros play a game in St. Paul.

Quote:
This is why it makes little or no sense that the Wild uses Houston as their AHL affiliate and the Stars use Des Moines as theirs. Imagine how easy the road trip would be for either teams fans to see the prospects. Not to mention GM and scouts could drive to games and wouldn't even need to stay the night if they didn't have to.

Makes too much sense.
But then we'd lose Mad Hatter to the Stars... Scratch that idea!

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
mncdn

Quote:

By the way...there is no "E" in Xcel.
I guess when you spend your whole day in excel you can misspell Xcel. Sorry about that

mncdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Minnesota and Dallas should trade farm teams.

I'd actually go to Des Moines to see some AHL action once in a while.

I did attend the Aeros Admirals game at the X several years ago. Good fun - sat in front of a gravel throated old lady from Milwaukee with a knack for colorful metaphors. It reminded me of watching the old Fighting Saints of the WHA, half full arena, mediocre hockey, and plenty of knuckleheads in the stands. And the cheap seats were nice too.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
State of Hockey

If gasoline wasn't so expensive, I would drive the 2+ hours to Des Moines to see a Stars/Aeros game.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 04:06 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I saw some AHL games during the lockout .. including a decent game between the Amerks and the Aeros in Rochester.

One thing I have to say is that I'm sure glad I live in a big league city. I mean the speed and the intensity is much greater in the NHL. Anyone who remembers the Moose in St. Paul can tell you that.

If you want to see the AHL, you could also try going to some NHL pre-season games.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
axecrew

Quote:

Makes too much sense.
Minny may own the Aeros franchise....But they don't own the building,therefore there would be lost revenue...parking,concessions,ticket revenues....rent on the building. Unless Minny is going to make that up it won't ever happen.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote