NHL.com article on Anaheim's prospects

Old
08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
NHL.com article on Anaheim's prospects

Hey guys,

Here's a nice NHL.com article on some of the Ducks top up-and-coming prospects. Talks with Bob Murray about their place in the organization and what to expect in the upcoming year.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=335699

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Hmm.

Hockey's Future blurb:
For a man his size, Mitera skates extremely well with smooth yet powerful strides.

Bob Murray sez:
Mark knows and thinks the game well. He has to work on his feet a bit.

Whom to believe?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
Hmm.

Hockey's Future blurb:
For a man his size, Mitera skates extremely well with smooth yet powerful strides.

Bob Murray sez:

Whom to believe?
I'd say we're both right. Note the HF blurb says "for a man his size." Mitera's a big guy and still growing. He skates well for someone who is big, but he's no Todd Marchant. I would assume, like all Ducks prospects, he'll benefit from having time with their power skating coach.

Old
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Does he chug like Pronger?

Old
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Fair enough, but I'll still defend it, because I think both could be right. I know DJ has seen Mitera enough times to make an accurate judgment on him and I don't doubt that Murray has a decent appraisal of him as well. I was simply trying to explain how both of them could come to seemingly different conclusions.

bah and then you edited your post!

Old
08-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Fair enough, but I'll still defend it, because I think both could be right. I know DJ has seen Mitera enough times to make an accurate judgment on him and I don't doubt that Murray has a decent appraisal of him as well. I was simply trying to explain how both of them could come to seemingly different conclusions.

bah and then you edited your post!
Hee hee.

Old
08-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Hockey Duckie

Odd. They missed the #1 prospect in the pipeline, Bobby Ryan. Does that bode well for Bobby? Or is this a subtle shot at Bobby Ryan?

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Odd. They missed the #1 prospect in the pipeline, Bobby Ryan. Does that bode well for Bobby? Or is this a subtle shot at Bobby Ryan?
I think this was more looking at some of the "second-tier" prospects Anaheim has. Keep in mind it's for NHL.com. They've done feature articles on Ryan. This is more for guys that fans who aren't intimately familiar with the Ducks system might not have heard much about.

Old
08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I saw Mitera at the prospects camp and he looked real good on his feet. He's no Scotty Niedermayer but the kid skates well. I can tell there's still a lot of room for improvement which is a great sign. He always had his head up too, scanning the ice. I'd love to see him in Camp but I don't think that'll happen. The kid is definitely growing on me.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 12:45 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

The article says Miller is a "good bet to nail down the third-line left winger's job." Does that mean Moen's moving up to the Getzlaf line? Or is the Getzlaf line counted as the third line in the coach's mind? Or is that just something added by the article writer and isn't coming from Murray?

I was thinking May would get moved with Getzlaf and Perry, but was wondering if Miller might fit there. May cycles well with the kids but his offense leaves somethign to be desired. Or maybe they feel Moen has more offensive upside, and could work with the kids and Miller can get his feet wet with our checking line?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Markus078

Personally I think Mitera is the most interessting prospect we have right now. I think this boy can become a #2 defender on any team. He seems to become much better than Mikkelsson who will be a #3 guy at best. Damn I hope we keep the pic from Edmonton to snub Pietrangelo at next years draft. We would have one of the best defensive lines in the future.

Pietrangelo - Mitera
Mikkelsson - Beauchemin
Festerling

This looks really fine for the future IMO.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
Personally I think Mitera is the most interessting prospect we have right now. I think this boy can become a #2 defender on any team. He seems to become much better than Mikkelsson who will be a #3 guy at best. Damn I hope we keep the pic from Edmonton to snub Pietrangelo at next years draft. We would have one of the best defensive lines in the future.

Pietrangelo - Mitera
Mikkelsson - Beauchemin
Festerling

This looks really fine for the future IMO.
yea it does
woohoo

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 05:23 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ducks prospects ready for NHL; Not just yet

Yesterday, while trying to nail the latest rumors and news of the day I came across a really good article done by John McGourty of NHL.com. It really opened my eyes to what the Anaheim Ducks were thinking, but it also left me scratching my head as I continue to ask myself if I’m watching the same games in Portland as the rest of the staff in Anaheim.
Read More>>

I've watched these guys (Ducks Prospects) in Portland over 200 games including playoff game in the last two year and I'm just left scratching my head.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Read More>>

I've watched these guys (Ducks Prospects) in Portland over 200 games including playoff game in the last two year and I'm just left scratching my head.
Yeah but the guy wrote his article based off of what Bob Murray said. Are you suggesting Bob Murray doesn't know what he's talking about? I think Miller and Carter will see a lot of time in Anaheim this year. Don't know how much they will produced but they proved to me in the playoffs that they can hack it and be effective.

Old
08-09-2007, 10:17 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Basically I'm saying that I disagree with the intent of the article suggesting that Miller and Carter are ready for the NHL. I watched them last year. I didn't miss one game and based on what I saw they are no where near ready. I don't disagree with the quotes of Murray, he never said that they were locked for Anaheim, he said they will have a chance and they could fill third line roles in Anaheim, but he never said Drew and Ryan will be with us in Anaheim next year.

And as far as seeing Miller and Carter in the playoffs....I hardly think that justifies them getting spot in the Ducks lineup.

Old
08-10-2007, 12:34 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Basically I'm saying that I disagree with the intent of the article suggesting that Miller and Carter are ready for the NHL. I watched them last year. I didn't miss one game and based on what I saw they are no where near ready. I don't disagree with the quotes of Murray, he never said that they were locked for Anaheim, he said they will have a chance and they could fill third line roles in Anaheim, but he never said Drew and Ryan will be with us in Anaheim next year.

And as far as seeing Miller and Carter in the playoffs....I hardly think that justifies them getting spot in the Ducks lineup.
I don't they have spots waiting for them or anything but will definitely see time unless there are no injuries or inconsistencies which is damn near impossible. But I totally get what you're saying.

Old
08-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:

Wildcat... that was a pretty good article. I got lost on what you were trying to say about Bobby Ryan, though. Miller and Carter didn't produce like the few players you mentioned that were traded away(like Zenon). Don't mind seeing them brought up due to injury, but as a full time basis... those two don't rank high in talent a la the Twins. As for the netminding business... yeah, I didn't understand why Hiller would be making a lot more than Bryz. Odd don't ya think? Unless it was already planned that Bryz would be traded near the trading deadline and Hiller would be brought up afterwards. Thus reducing Hiller's chances of reaching certain bonuses. Bleah... I think the team overspent on Big Bert and Schneider.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 07:20 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I don't they have spots waiting for them or anything but will definitely see time unless there are no injuries or inconsistencies which is damn near impossible. But I totally get what you're saying.
I completely understand where you're coming from if an injury was to happen....I would expect them to one of the first recalled to Anaheim without a doubt....My intent wasn't to say they would never be in the NHL. I think they will be very good in the NHL down the road, but to think that they are ready for full time NHL action a little more than one year after beginning their pro career is a stretch, but with that said the Ducks might just go that route.

Old
08-10-2007, 07:34 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Wildcat... that was a pretty good article. I got lost on what you were trying to say about Bobby Ryan, though. Miller and Carter didn't produce like the few players you mentioned that were traded away(like Zenon). Don't mind seeing them brought up due to injury, but as a full time basis... those two don't rank high in talent a la the Twins. As for the netminding business... yeah, I didn't understand why Hiller would be making a lot more than Bryz. Odd don't ya think? Unless it was already planned that Bryz would be traded near the trading deadline and Hiller would be brought up afterwards. Thus reducing Hiller's chances of reaching certain bonuses. Bleah... I think the team overspent on Big Bert and Schneider.
Thanks on Kudos,

I really didn't want to focus too much on Ryan because so many articles have been done about him, but I want to at least put his name in the article and touch a topic or two.

My primary point with Ryan is he's a power forward and like all power forwards they will excel to a certain point and then stop and it would take somebody like Kevin Dineen to help that process along.

A perfect example would be Dustin Penner. He played for Cincinnati in the AHL and did very little. Playing under Brad Shaw, he was relegated to the third line and considered a mucker. However, he's the same Penner who has the soft hands and great power strides. Sure he could produced, but because he hit a point of development with Cincinnati, he fizzled and stopped his development. So much so I think Anaheim thought about letting via a trade that year. When the Ducks moved the affiliation to Portland and Dineen was hired to take over....He was able to get the most out of Penner and really develop and fine tune his game. The player he is today I think is in a large part due to how Dineen worked with him and developed his skills even further.

Old
08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
The article says Miller is a "good bet to nail down the third-line left winger's job." Does that mean Moen's moving up to the Getzlaf line? Or is the Getzlaf line counted as the third line in the coach's mind? Or is that just something added by the article writer and isn't coming from Murray?

I was thinking May would get moved with Getzlaf and Perry, but was wondering if Miller might fit there. May cycles well with the kids but his offense leaves somethign to be desired. Or maybe they feel Moen has more offensive upside, and could work with the kids and Miller can get his feet wet with our checking line?
I will be shocked if Bertuzzi is not with the kids, it makes absolutely no sense to NOT put them together unless Bert can't play the LW.

And Mitera is a beast, I was so impressed with him last year, you could see noticeable improvement from the beginning of the year and the end of it. He definitely has more upside than many give him credit for, mainly because so many people stick to their pre draft rankings of a players ability. If he had more offensive ability he'd get way more hype, I can see him being a future no.2 shutdown type in the Hannan/Regehr mold, he has a very nice shot too but needs to use it more often.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 08:28 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
I will be shocked if Bertuzzi is not with the kids, it makes absolutely no sense to NOT put them together unless Bert can't play the LW.

And Mitera is a beast, I was so impressed with him last year, you could see noticeable improvement from the beginning of the year and the end of it. He definitely has more upside than many give him credit for, mainly because so many people stick to their pre draft rankings of a players ability. If he had more offensive ability he'd get way more hype, I can see him being a future no.2 shutdown type in the Hannan/Regehr mold, he has a very nice shot too but needs to use it more often.
Great!!! So if he plays in Portland, I'll get to listen to 5,000+ people yelling "SHOOT"!!!!!! on the PP.

Old
08-11-2007, 01:24 AM
crazedcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
Hmm.

Hockey's Future blurb:

Bob Murray sez:

Whom to believe?
The second quote likely refers to his defensive play footwork when directing traffic/rushes, turning to the outside, etc.

The first is talking about his rush/breakout/forward skating in general.

crazedcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Great!!! So if he plays in Portland, I'll get to listen to 5,000+ people yelling "SHOOT"!!!!!! on the PP.
I wouldn't worry about that! Though with so many changes to the Michigan blueline Mitera will get a chance this year to pick up some PP time so maybe he can develop his shot some more.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Killerbeez

Quote:
That is funny and so true.....I'm sure that thought never comes into the player's mind when they have the puck (sarcasm). The same fans will b and moan when one of them take shots from the perimeter all night (unless they get on the fight card).

Killerbeez is offline   Reply With Quote