4. Petr Kalus
5. Colton Gillies
6. Danny Irmen

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 500
Kind of funny that Madsen could end up being the star forward from this group, yet here he is at 7.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Kind of funny that Madsen could end up being the star forward from this group, yet here he is at 7.
Well he COULD be but thats the biggest question, COULD. I've never seen the guy play but i think he should be at #7 or later.

We've got Harding, the upcoming future goalie for the Wild, Sheppard, who does everything right and has everything he needs to play a #1 or #2 line and could even make the team now, Pouliot, the #4 ov pick with TONS of potential, Petr Kalus, has everything, grit, offense, hardwork, Colton Gillies, the future pain in the ass for the opponent, and Danny Irmen, the sure fire grinder.

Madsen, i think, needs to show it in the AHL. If he does, im sure he will shoot up to a top 5 spot.

Old
08-09-2007, 02:13 PM
State of Hockey

It just shows how deep our prospect corps is when Madsen is legitimately #7. I'll take our top-7 head-to-head with all other teams.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Can't justify putting Madsen there in the top 8 simply because he could end up being a Foy. One year wonder in the Q...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
It just shows how deep our prospect corps is when Madsen is legitimately #7. I'll take our top-7 head-to-head with all other teams.
1. Josh Harding-------Tuuka Rask
2. James Sheppard----Phil Kessel
3. Benoit Pouliot------Zach Hammil
4. Petr Kalus---------Matt Lashoff
5. Colton Gillies------Carl Soderberg
6. Danny Irmen------ Mark Stuart
7.___________-------David Krejci

I like Minny's crew... but I would take Boston.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
State of Hockey

Kessel isn't a prospect anymore according to HF . . .

I'll easily take the the Wild group of forwards and goalie.

Old
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Chrisd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
1. Josh Harding-------Tuuka Rask
2. James Sheppard----Phil Kessel
3. Benoit Pouliot------Zach Hammil
4. Petr Kalus---------Matt Lashoff
5. Colton Gillies------Carl Soderberg
6. Danny Irmen------ Mark Stuart
7.___________-------David Krejci

I like Minny's crew... but I would take Boston.
Phil kessel hasn't been a prospect since last year, he was up with boston ALL OF last year, even though he was out with cancer for a bit.

Yes people underrate Madsen, From someone I talked to who was at the prospects camp for 5 days, Madsen might have been the best player in the entire camp from his point of view, and he works for the wild, and writes for their site. Personally I have Madsen behind only Sheppard as far as offensive upside.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 05:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
Phil kessel hasn't been a prospect since last year, he was up with boston ALL OF last year, even though he was out with cancer for a bit.

Yes people underrate Madsen, From someone I talked to who was at the prospects camp for 5 days, Madsen might have been the best player in the entire camp from his point of view, and he works for the wild, and writes for their site. Personally I have Madsen behind only Sheppard as far as offensive upside.
Then again, a guy wrote about Westblom last year as the best goaltender the Wild didn't have named Harding...

Old
08-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Chrisd

chill out dude.

I think madsen is going to be very good, relax. Everyone has their opinions.

I rank him only behind Sheppard and Kalus on offense...and ahead of pouliot and irmen and gillies. I'll stick by that.

Old
08-09-2007, 06:11 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
chill out dude.

I rank him only behind Sheppard and Kalus on offense...and ahead of pouliot and irmen and gillies. I'll stick by that.
And I'll stick by my weariness of being unconvinced until he puts up some solid numbers in the A this year and next year.

And Irmen and Gillies aren't really snipers or offensive players.

Old
08-09-2007, 06:13 PM
State of Hockey

Going by that logic, you're unconvinced with Sheppard, Kalus, Pouliot, Voloshenko and Irmen as well.

Last edited by State of Hockey: 08-09-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Chrisd

yup madsen had just as good of a year in the qmjhl as sheppard, and better on special teams, evidenced by his 10 shorties.

I guess your leery on everyone, if you are about him.

Old
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Surly Furious

Plus, how many other Wild prospects have represented their country at the World Championships and scored - I know it's only Denmark, but still... pretty heady stuff for a kid.

Old
08-10-2007, 12:35 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Going by that logic, you're unconvinced with Sheppard, Kalus, Pouliot, Voloshenko and Irmen as well.
I'm a little more convinced about Sheppard...

And you know how I feel about Pouliot. Voloshenko was sorely disappointing last year and Irmen, I kind of grew to like because I know we can't count on him for more than 30-40 points a season but he's more of a Walz-type and isn't suppose to put up numbers like Gaborik or Demitra or Bouchard.

The reason I'm weary about Madsen is two fold: One he comes from an unknown country. I know he played in the SEL and I know he played in the Q but sometimes there is a reason players like him fall to the fifth and sixth round. Personally I've liked Sprunger and Walker and Switzerland is becoming more and more of a NHL prospect hotbed but man, I'm still weary about if they make it to the AHL, much less the NHL. And they both have good size.

The other thing about Madsen is he was the go-to-guy on his team. His team wasn't that great last year. Sheppard had a solid team last year and they didn't count on him as much as Madsen's team counted on him.

And Bookman: Sprunger played in the WJC for Switzerland and did a damn good job there. We had Kolusz too. And Khudobin (he's from I believe Kazakistan or wherever but plays for Russia) and I think Walker played for some team or another. Brandner is another guy. We have had a lot of players from unknown parts of the world but so far not one has really turned out all that well. Oh yeah Misharin! He's from some part of Russia and played on the WJC.

Oh and I'm convinced by Kalus because he's played in the AHL and the NHL before and has some good merits.

I'm usually leery about a lot of prospects the Wild have coming through. I learned my lesson (Foy for one, Wallin another).

Old
08-10-2007, 01:57 AM
vitogor

Quote:
chill out dude.

I agree on Madsen. I've been voting for him in the last 3 polls, I think he'll surprise a lot of people. Ranking prospects is a crapshoot, they are all at different stages in their development, but I really like his offensive upside. He was our best player in last year's prospect tournament according to Thompson. I really want to see this kid in pre-season this year.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 04:07 AM
Chrisd

yeah madsen was our best player at last years prospect tourney. Did well in junior tourney, did well on national team as well, scoring on Sweden I believe. Had a stellar year in the qmjhl, and obviously showed he has some defense with his 10 shorties.

Plus I have a good buddy who saw a lot of him against our top prospects, and said he stood out, and he knows hockey.

After Sheppard, and Kalus he is it. It's that simple.

Old
08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
And Bookman: Sprunger played in the WJC for Switzerland and did a damn good job there. We had Kolusz too. And Khudobin (he's from I believe Kazakistan or wherever but plays for Russia) and I think Walker played for some team or another. Brandner is another guy. We have had a lot of players from unknown parts of the world but so far not one has really turned out all that well. Oh yeah Misharin! He's from some part of Russia and played on the WJC.
Mad Hatter, I'm not talking WJC, I'm talking the WC, the one that runs concurrently with the NHL playoffs, where good NHLers on non-playoff or firrst round exit teams go, like Nick Schultz and Koivu did this last season.

Old
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Ah well, Sprunger played there too last year. Scored two goals to boot. But was a -5, not really good.

Wasn't Nummie also on the World Championship team?

Old
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
yeah madsen was our best player at last years prospect tourney. .
And Westblom was our best goaltender in the prospect tourney last year not named Harding. Funny how these things turn out, eh?

And as for the ten shorties...How the hell does that count as defensively responsible?

Old
08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Chrisd

dude GET OVER IT, I think madsen is going to be a good player alright, as do many here. Thats OUR opinion.

I don't remember anyone here EVER touting Westblom or thinking he was worth a damn. I surely didn't, and I don't recall anyone here thinking he was another Harding. Wow man Westblom was our best goalie in last years prospect tourney ( which again, I've never seen in print or heard, show me that ) - However best besides Harding??? I say, SO WHAT! Harding was our only legit young goalie coming up last year, and still really is. Wow he was more impressive then Kopriva and whatever trash they trolled out there? Who gives a rats ass... There is Harding, and there is everyone else as far as wild prospect goalies are involved. I'm fine with that cuz Harding is elite, and we already have a stud goalie in Backstrom, we don't need more.

Wild NEVER even bothered signing the kid, like they did with Morten Madsen. It's a horrible comparison you are putting forth. IF he was 1/2 the guy you are making him out to be they would have given him a contract. Westblom never even put up good numbers in juniors, nor played for his country, or did anything of note in the hockey world. He's just a failed 3rd round pick or whatever he is, like 85% of 3rd rounders. No loss at all. Westblom couldn't even carry the load on his WHL team as a older player. He split time with a freaking rookie who had a save % of .896. Like i said you are the only one who has ever insinuated that he might actually be something. Show me quotes from Tommy Thompson or someone in the organization touting him. At best there might of been a fluff piece on him doing well in a prospect camp, and that is it. Where as a player like Madsen has a lot more backing him up then a fluff piece.

Madsen is 10 x the prospect Westblom can ever dream of being. He's 6"2 growing into his body, has great speed, plays both ways, has a wicked wrist shot and is a good playmaker. He's gonna be better then Benoit Pouliot, the bonus baby.

As far as being a good defensive prospect, when a guy gets 10 short handed goals, it means he's playing a TON OF penalty kill minutes, and they feel comfortable using him in that situation. You will never see a Gaborik getting tons of shorties or Bouchard.

This is the last time i'm relplying to you on this....it's like a broken record. All you come back with is " I'm skeptical, or he could be another foy" You add nothing of substance or value other then to bring up other players. Get over it man, his name isn't matt foy, they are two different human beings. Matt Foy put up bigger numbers then 99% of all Junior players it's really a pointless arguement, if that's the one you are going to use.

I'll go with what the front office says about Madsen, what my trusted friend says when he saw him live in 5 practices/scrimmage, and how he's performed on all levels of play over what a guy who's never seen him has to say about him, ....."cuz he might be another foy" Get some new material man, that's all you ever do is give vague reasons on why players may not pan out, when in reality you know nothing about the player.

Last edited by Chrisd: 08-10-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old
08-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Close argument! I'm waiting for at least 40votes at least till i start #8