HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
What's the best non touristy colonial site in Philly?
My favorite is Christ Church Cemetery. Ben Franklin is buried there and they give a little tour (it's a small cemetery) which is very, very interesting IMO. IIRC, it's free to enter the cemetery and a couple of dollars for the tour.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:24 AM
nyrmetros

cool. anything else?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:28 AM
hyena

Hi all. I'll be coming up for the game Saturday (yes I'm a glutton for punishment) and have a couple questions.

I read through this entire thread and saw the disussion on the camera/lens policy. It sounds like I should be able to bring in my DSLR with my 55-250mm lens in...is that still the case now?

Also, which side does the visiting team warmup on?

Regarding parking, where is the best place to park? Is there any place really close to the arena for less than $25? Can you recommend certain lots?

This a great thread, thanks!

hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
rayearth

I'm going to say you'll probably be fine with the camera.

Warm ups should be on the 107 side for you.

Here's the parking map. I usually park in lot D but then again I don't know any better. If you leave before the massive rush you can get right out onto Broad St if you park all the way in the back. Parking, I believe, is $14.
http://www.wachoviacenter.com/images...ingoptions.pdf

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
I read through this entire thread and saw the disussion on the camera/lens policy. It sounds like I should be able to bring in my DSLR with my 55-250mm lens in...is that still the case now?
I've gotten in just fin with a similar camera set up. The tunnel for the visiting team is between 102 and 103, for what that's worth.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
I'm going to say you'll probably be fine with the camera.

Warm ups should be on the 107 side for you.

Here's the parking map. I usually park in lot D but then again I don't know any better. If you leave before the massive rush you can get right out onto Broad St if you park all the way in the back. Parking, I believe, is $14.
http://www.wachoviacenter.com/images...ingoptions.pdf
Is parking not $12 anymore? The first few games I went to were, or did they jack up the price?

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:58 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Is parking not $12 anymore? The first few games I went to were, or did they jack up the price?
Yeah, you may be right. I remember, not very long ago even, when it was under $10.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 03:54 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
It went up to $15 once the Phils regular season was over, since that's the end of the parking price "season."

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM
wanger16

Just booked my flights and hotel to Philly and NY(Mar6th-16th).Gonna be catching the Flyers-Leafs,Flyers-Isles and Flyers-Rangers @MSG.Just curious I'm wondering how early do the fans show up for the games in Philly?Is there any tailgating before the games?What would be the best way to purchase tix?Craig'slist,E-bay or scalpers?I would prefer to have them before coming out.I'm guessing the Flyers-Isles tix will be the easiest to get and the ones @MSG the hardest..Any info on what to do around town is appreciated in Philly and or NY.In Philly we are at the Hampton Conv.Center.so right near all the historic venues which will be cool.Any help is appreciated

wanger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:38 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

Hey guys, coming up for the Saturday game.

I have 2 questions.

-Do you need a pass to park, or can you pay upon arrival?
-When do the parking lots open up? Can you tailgate for hockey?

Thanks!

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:49 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
Hey guys, coming up for the Saturday game.

I have 2 questions.

-Do you need a pass to park, or can you pay upon arrival?
-When do the parking lots open up? Can you tailgate for hockey?

Thanks!
You can pay on arrival.

Not sure when they open, but it's well before gametime.

Tailgating: don't know about doing a full set up and spending a while there, but I've always gotten away with having a few beers behind my car before the game.

Old
01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

thanks! Will try to get there an hour or 2 early and sneak a few beers in

Old
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Kambo

Quote:
thanks! Will try to get there an hour or 2 early and sneak a few beers in
Just to be on the very safe side, bring solo cups or something with you. It depends if parking lot security decide to douches that day, but sometimes if they see the cans or bottles, they'll tell you to put it in a cup or throw it out. Like I said, it depends though.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

Is it okay to bring chairs and stuff like that out there? Seems like the hockey tailgating rules might be a lot different than football and baseball tailgating that I have heard about up there.

Thanks for all the information guys

Old
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Is it okay to bring chairs and stuff like that out there? Seems like the hockey tailgating rules might be a lot different than football and baseball tailgating that I have heard about up there.

Thanks for all the information guys
Yeah, chairs and I do believe grills are all good. I've never hard core tailgated for hockey like I have baseball, so that's why I'm not sure on the grills. I can't imagine they wouldn't allow them though.

Old
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Hey guys, I am heading to the Islanders VS Flyers game Saturday with 7 of my other friends who are Flyers fans, looks like I will be the odd man out wearing my NYI jersey haha. Looking forward to a great game hopefully. We're still debating on a good place to eat near the arena. Any suggestions on the best place to get a good steak or some pizza are welcome. We are also hoping to tailgate in the parking lot. None of us have ever tailgated at a hockey game, hopefully they aren't too strict on it in the parking lot?

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 174
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4life39 View Post
Hey guys, I am heading to the Islanders VS Flyers game Saturday with 7 of my other friends who are Flyers fans, looks like I will be the odd man out wearing my NYI jersey haha. Looking forward to a great game hopefully. We're still debating on a good place to eat near the arena. Any suggestions on the best place to get a good steak or some pizza are welcome. We are also hoping to tailgate in the parking lot. None of us have ever tailgated at a hockey game, hopefully they aren't too strict on it in the parking lot?
Chickies and Petes is right up the street from the parking lots. One of my favorite restaurants.

And as for tailgating, you can do whatever you want. I drink many beers before every game.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Chickies and Petes is right up the street from the parking lots. One of my favorite restaurants.

And as for tailgating, you can do whatever you want. I drink many beers before every game.
Okay thanks man, haha sounds good to me!

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4life39 View Post
Yeah I'd go Chickies as well, but if you're reallllly looking for a good cheesesteak, do Tony Lukes. It's within a 5-10 minute tops, drive of the stadium.

Old
01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
UseYourAllusion

Chickie's and Pete's really is the only decent place down near the stadiums (i.e. walking distance), which would be a complaint, if it weren't so ****ing awesome.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post

You can get away with having a few beers but full-fledged tailgating really doesn't happen. And, at a Wachovia Center event, if you take up two parking spaces between your vehicle and a grill... well, you'll probably get shot. Most people show up right before the game and just want to park and get in before the 1st period starts, even for weekend games.

If you want to pregame, park in the lot really damn early and then walk over to Chickie and Pete's. Don't try to park your car in their lot. They will crush your soul.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:46 AM
The Angry Pirate

Hey Pens fan coming in peace. Its not Philly but Im heading up to the Poconos this weekend with my wife and we'll be staying at the Cove Haven. Do any of you guys know of any out of the restaraunts or things to do during the evening (like between snowboarding and the other kind of fun)?

The Angry Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:18 PM
nyrmetros

Not hockey related, but coming to Philly for the USA vs Turkey Soccer game. Need some more not well known American Revolution sites to visit before the game.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:17 AM
303Joe

O/T a little help..

hello I'm heading to the game Sunday night vs the Leafs with 3 friends. Can you guys give me a good restaurant near the Wachovia center. I was going to go to an Italian joint named D'Angelos but they are closed on Sundays. I know there's a Chicky and Petes nearby but was looking for something a little fancier. It can be steaks, italian, seafood. I'll be down in the area by 4 so I'll have plenty of time before the game to sit down somewhere. Thanks for any help.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
hello I'm heading to the game Sunday night vs the Leafs with 3 friends. Can you guys give me a good restaurant near the Wachovia center. I was going to go to an Italian joint named D'Angelos but they are closed on Sundays. I know there's a Chicky and Petes nearby but was looking for something a little fancier. It can be steaks, italian, seafood. I'll be down in the area by 4 so I'll have plenty of time before the game to sit down somewhere. Thanks for any help.
Your best bet is to go somewhere in Center City. I can't think of any restaurants near the stadium to be honest.

You can hop on the subway from Center City and be at the stadiums in 10-15 minutes.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote