HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

vCash: 500
The price you listed on lower level seats are about as cheap as you're gonna get down there probably. I'd stick with those if you can get them.

As for the merch, yeah there's the team store at the WFC, but there's also the Flyers Skate Zones, but they could be out of your way, depending on where you're staying.

Other spots are Modell's (enter zip of 19101 for best results) which can be hit or miss for hockey stuff, Mitchell & Ness on 12th and Chestnut which has good stuff from time to time, but can be a bit pricey.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Beastieboy

Thanks for the tips on stores. I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn (thank you Hotwire!). I have some M&N stuff and it is sweet. Bought it all on eBay though, never been to the store.

I did buy some lower bowl seats in section 114 row 11 but now trying to sell them as my buddy has managed to get us into a suite for the game... accepting offers!

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
li7039

Ranger fan here thinking about coming down for the game next month. I was at the winter classic and had no problems other then some yelling on the subway which is fine. Any suggestion on where to sit at the wells fargo center? I figured I would have less issues sitting in the lower bowl.

li7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Beastieboy

Thanks everyone who gave tips for trips to Philly. Had a great time even though they lost in a shoot-out in game 1. As a bonus on the day we went to the M&N store it was 50% sale! Wish I knew before as we went on day 2 and lots was already gone. Also, after Flyers practice met Coburn and Read as they stopped to sign for fans. Here are some pics from my 3 day trip:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=397722f3a6

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Made in Motown

Does anybody know what bars in Philly have NHL center ice? The only ones I can think of are: the Bards, Cavanaugh's Rittenhouse and Fox & Hound (one of the worst sports bars, and a Steelers bar). If anybody can add to that I would appreciate it.

Made in Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I wanna visit Philly just because on parking wars, i want to park legally, and then rant about how ppl cant even do that.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
dempster333

I am going to be flying into Philly on the 26th for business in Wilmington, DE and decided to plan my flight around the game with Tampa that night. Is there any place around or at the arena I would be able to store my luggage as I would be coming right from the airport and then heading to DE after?

Any help is appreciated....

dempster333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

there is a holiday inn right at the stadium area.

You could ask the front desk, to put your luggage in the closet they have there. And say you will be back after the game to reclaim it.

If he asks if your staying at the hotel, say you are but your waiting for your other friend to come in, because its under his name and he's paying.

then after the game go back to the hotel, get your stuff and head to DE.

or what you could do is fedex your stuff to DE in advance if possible.

Also what time is the plane landing?

How are you getting to Wilmington ? limo, car rental, someone picking you up or you taking Septa there is a line that goes to wilmington from 30th st

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
DJ Spinoza

Hey guys, I'm going to be moving to Philly this summer and am looking for recommendations as to where to live in the city (or, hate to say this, recommendations of parts of the city to avoid). I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm going to be a grad student at Villanova, but based on previous visits, I think I'd like to live somewhere in the city and commute by train and/or bike to school. I'd like to live in a neighborhood that is quiet and safe, hopefully with a good mix of different types of food and good coffee. From what I understand so far, a lot of grad students live in West Philly, but that seems like a broad description, so I thought I'd ask here for some specific recommendations.

Also, it would be exceptionally awesome if any of you were familiar with Pittsburgh so that we could compare neighborhoods.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to be moving to Philly this summer and am looking for recommendations as to where to live in the city (or, hate to say this, recommendations of parts of the city to avoid). I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm going to be a grad student at Villanova, but based on previous visits, I think I'd like to live somewhere in the city and commute by train and/or bike to school. I'd like to live in a neighborhood that is quiet and safe, hopefully with a good mix of different types of food and good coffee. From what I understand so far, a lot of grad students live in West Philly, but that seems like a broad description, so I thought I'd ask here for some specific recommendations.

Also, it would be exceptionally awesome if any of you were familiar with Pittsburgh so that we could compare neighborhoods.
You aren't going to be biking from Philly to Nova, that's for sure. It seems like your more interested in the city life, but if not, the Villanova area is definitely quiet and safe.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Didn't know where to ask this but do the Flyers sell individual game programs or is Flyers Magazine like a season long program?

I meant to buy a program at the November 3rd game against the Devils and would pay big bucks if someone has one.. I asked the team for one from last Tuesday and they sent me Flyers Magazine

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post

Villanova is safe, all the stuff you indicated is all there plus the school it self. It also is along the R5 SEPTA REGIONAL RAIL LINE.

that train will take you into center city and there is a subway which you can connect that takes you to the stadium area.

also make sure you sign up for comcast or verizon fios. Directv and Dish are blacked out of CSN.

should you have any further question PM me directly.

I know the whole philly area very well. the area your school is at is mostly known as the MAIN LINE.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Didn't know where to ask this but do the Flyers sell individual game programs or is Flyers Magazine like a season long program?

I meant to buy a program at the November 3rd game against the Devils and would pay big bucks if someone has one.. I asked the team for one from last Tuesday and they sent me Flyers Magazine
I know if you buy the 'program' at the WFC there is a game-day insert that shows the scratches, roster, stats, overview, etc. for the game that day/night.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:36 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
I haven't really been buying them this season since the switch to the smaller format this season but the program changes a few times a year, unlike the Devils program that does print the specific game on the front. As the last poster said, the game notes insert and lineup card are game specific.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerCub View Post
I haven't really been buying them this season since the switch to the smaller format this season but the program changes a few times a year, unlike the Devils program that does print the specific game on the front. As the last poster said, the game notes insert and lineup card are game specific.
Thanks! Yeah I see that the printed lineup in the magazine has Kubina so it must have been recently printed

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:39 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
easiest/ cheapest way to get to and from nyc by bus and or njtransit train? we were thinking of taking greyhound or bolt bus down and then taking light rail to trenton to the nj transit back to ny penn

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
easiest/ cheapest way to get to and from nyc by bus and or njtransit train? we were thinking of taking greyhound or bolt bus down and then taking light rail to trenton to the nj transit back to ny penn
Bolt bus is the one that is really cheap right? That's a pretty good option.. That's how i travel up to NYC a lot

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

bolt bus, mega bus, are cheap or you can take septa r7 to trenton and then get the NJ transit up to NYP.

i seen mega bus as cheap as 3.00

sometimes when i go to see flyers on day games @ Devils or @ Rangers ill go by train i usually pay 15 for a rd trip ticket on NJ transit and get a day pass form septa.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
awesome, thanks for the advice guys

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:24 AM
DJ Spinoza

Thanks to the posters who responded to my post--sorry it's taken me a while to say thanks, I've been traveling and I forgot that I made this post! The DirectTV comment is especially helpful, because I am in the middle of a subscription to them and I was thinking I'd just cancel it anyways to save the hassle, although they screw you over when you cancel early, even though you never sign a "contract."

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

I'll be attending Villanova next year. I'm curious how I would get from there to central jersey. Would I take the train to philly to ny penn or does philly connect to places in central jersey? Is it safe? And do they offer discounts to students/frequent riders?

Thanks!

Goodluck beating the devils

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Sept joueurs

Hey guys, I am in Philly for a couple of days and was wondering where a good sports bar would be to catch the Caps - Rangers game and any other out of town games the next couple of days. Thank you.

Sept joueurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Xoggz22

Coming in from Columbus, OH for game 5. Got my ticket in section 120 row 15 and will be wearing my CBJ O'Voracek (St. Patrick's Day) Jersey. Anyone tell me where to go prior to the game to hang out with the cool fans?

Suggestions welcome. As you all know, this is the only way for a CBJ fan to get to a playoff game right now.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Coming in from Columbus, OH for game 5. Got my ticket in section 120 row 15 and will be wearing my CBJ O'Voracek (St. Patrick's Day) Jersey. Anyone tell me where to go prior to the game to hang out with the cool fans?

Suggestions welcome. As you all know, this is the only way for a CBJ fan to get to a playoff game right now.
Others will offer suggestions but this is recently opened -- http://xfinitylive.com/

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Others will offer suggestions but this is recently opened -- http://xfinitylive.com/
Awesome. Thank you.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote