HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How you became a Flyers fan

Old
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
How you became a Flyers fan

I took this off of the OHL board. Just wondering how you guys jumped on the bandwagon that is the Philadelphia Flyers.

Ill start by saying I knew nothing about the NHL, just liked the Red Wings. When they beat the Flyers in the 97 SCF, I didnt even know who the Red Wings beat. I knew nothing of the Flyers. I really liked Sergei Federov. Then I came to my senses and learned about the NHL and what the league was about. In third grade my dad surprised me by taking me to a Flyers vs. Dallas Stars game, this must have been in 98-99 season. It ended 3-3 but I loved going to the game. I have been a die-hard Flyers fan ever since, win or lose. T

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

We've done this thread a bunch of times, but not for a while I think, and it's always fun to read other peoples stories.

Mine is pretty simple, Pops grew up in Hershey, my Mother, Wilmington DE, so my entire family is practically from the area. Neither were really into hockey at all, but growing up in Central NJ we always got Philly 57 so there were always Flyers games on. I wasn't really into the Flyers until I really "discovered" hockey around 1991 when I first got a pair of rollerblades and started playing street hockey, then ice hockey, with my brother. He went off to Temple that following fall, and we naturally started following the Flyers religiously.

I watched games before that, including vague recollections of the 87' finals, but it wasn't until I started playing that I started to become obsessed.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:38 PM
EasyMac

I first started following the Flyers after the '87 cup run. It started by my brother cheering for the Oilers (his 2nd favourite team) so having to be a jerk like most little brothers are, I cheered for the Flyers to annoy him and they have been my team ever since.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:49 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i forget what year this was but i started watching the flyers during the regular/post-season run shortly after the dejardins-leclair deal and caught lightning in the bottle. ever since the goal to beat buffalo in the playoffs ive been hooked on ever since. i think it helped that the mighty ducks movies were came out at the same time. i begged my mom to buy me a street hockey stick and countless broken windows later here i am.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Four Words:

Ron Hextall's rookie season.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

How'd I become a fan?

I was born into it. All of my kin are from either Philadelphia or northern Delaware (Claymont/Wilmington). I grew up in Wilmington DE and try as I might, I cannot divorce any of the Philly teams. I might pull against them if I am angry at the management, but I am always a fan.

My first recollection of the Flyers was after they beat Boston in the '74 finals, and we were riding home from my grandparents in the car and everyone was honking horns and waving and junk.

I started following hardcore during Keenan's rookie year coaching in the 84-85 season.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Gert B Frobe

went to a Flyers - Islanders game in '87, the Flyers won the game, scored 11 goals there were tons of fights and about 3 obnoxious Islanders fans who ran their mouths the whole game got the crap beat out of them. Tim Kerr scored 4 goals and I have loved the Flyers ever since.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
The first hockey games I remember were the 92-93 finals and John Leclair was a stud in those matches against the Kings. For awhile I didn't really have a favourite team, I just liked winners being a youngin' with no others to influence my feelings. I then started to really play the EA NHL series a couple of seasons later as well as finally actually watch hockey more intensively and frequently. A Mr. John LeClair happened to catch my eye again this time wearing Orange, Black and White. He solidified his spot as my fav. player and the Flyers as my fav. team.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Lindros. Followed him when I was a young lad and he was in the OHL, then followed him to Philly. It was impossible not to fall in love with this team.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Lindros. Followed him when I was a young lad and he was in the OHL, then followed him to Philly. It was impossible not to fall in love with this team.
Lindros was the final factor for me. My dad got a preview of Prism when they were on and you had to pay to watch Flyers games. He started to love it and I started watching it and fell in love. Random NHL games helped boost it, and eventually I fell in love with the team. Comcast came around and made the games free. My dad slowly lost interest but I still love the team. And like I said, Lindros was like dotting the i's and crossing the t's in my story.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:16 PM
lancer247

i grew up in south philly...watched the flyers win the the first cup at my uncle's house...i don't know if i actually heard gene hart saying "...are you ready to be stanley cup champions..." or if i've just heard it so many times since then...we came home and went to the parade...i remember standing on the corner of broad & shunk...actually sitting on my oldest cousins shoulders...

that was my first championship parade...the way the entire city was there celebrating...i had been to rexy's 100 times but now it sunk in who these guys were...after the second cup i thought it would be like that every year...

growing up in the 70's & early 80's spoiled me as a philly sports fan...i never saw the next 2 decades coming...we didn't win every year but every team was a contender for the most part...climaxing in 1980...

lancer247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Kevin Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Birth

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
Birth
I'm surprised you weren't a fan in the womb!

Edit: The womb only got network television, huh?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Kevin Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
I'm surprised you weren't a fan in the womb!

Edit: The womb only got network television, huh?
No prism

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
decadentia

Little fuzzy, but it was shortly after Lindros came into the scene. My friend and I both were very much into hockey games, he was a huge Detroit fan and I became a huge Philly fan. It became stronger and stronger throughout the years, from the Legion of Doom to Primeau almost getting us to the finals...TBH its somewhat died down, lot of the players I used to identify the Flyers with ( Leclair, Desjardins, Lindros, Primeau, Brindy ) went...having a hard time identifying with the Flyers these days. ( Though Gagne is absolutely great ).

Still think to this day our jerseys are by far the best...I absolutely love them.

Last edited by decadentia: 08-09-2007 at 08:54 PM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

One of my earliest memories is when the Flyers won the Stanley Cup in '74. Was a little too young to fully appreciate what was going on (3 y/o) - in fact, at first I thought everyone was happy about there being an outbreak of chicken pox - but when I grew up, I rediscovered what had been implanted in my brain at such an early age. It's peaks and valleys ever since (this last season being the lowest valley).

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTavares09 View Post
I took this off of the OHL board. Just wondering how you guys jumped on the bandwagon that is the Philadelphia Flyers.

Ill start by saying I knew nothing about the NHL, just liked the Red Wings. When they beat the Flyers in the 97 SCF, I didnt even know who the Red Wings beat. I knew nothing of the Flyers. I really liked Sergei Federov. Then I came to my senses and learned about the NHL and what the league was about. In third grade my dad surprised me by taking me to a Flyers vs. Dallas Stars game, this must have been in 98-99 season. It ended 3-3 but I loved going to the game. I have been a die-hard Flyers fan ever since, win or lose. T
It's official, I have shoes older than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Lindros did it for me too:

I grew up in a house where the orange and black ruled above all else--mind you, it was Orioles orange and black. My dad, a big time football and basketball player (numerous scholarship offers) had sports on 24/7, but hockey didn't even exist in our household. It was MLB, and any basketball or football that was on (for you young'uns, this was long before cable existed).

Flash forward a decade or so when I meet my now husband. He is a die-hard Flyers fan but loves everything hockey, he's been skating since he was three, playing as long as he could remember and absolutely worshiped the ice Bobby Clarke skated on. I vividly remember his numerous arguments with our Ranger fan friends over "the greatness that is Bobby Clarke." It was all Greek to me. He took me to a game, I nearly got nailed in the head with a puck, and all those whistles just drove me bonkers. (Off-sides and two line passes absolutely killed me, I was trying to translate soccer rules to hockey, which, for the record, is not how things work). Boy did my non-hockey knowledge annoy him to no end.

Flash forward another 6 or so years and I hear about this punk kid who "pulled and Elway" and won't play for the team that drafted him. 'Lo and behold, future hubby's team gets the kid in some sort of crazy transaction. I then decided to follow this punk to see what he was all about, to see if he really was as great as he seemed to think he was. I watched Flyers hockey but only paid attention when he was on the ice and just sort of followed him around the ice since I was unable to follow the play...many questions and many hours of watching later....I was positively addicted. Oh, and that "punk kid" became my favorite player.

I laugh when I see some of your wishing your wives or girlfriends followed hockey because my husband hates it. He says I've "ruined the game" for him. Serves him right, I was content to just watch my O's suck it up every year, it's his own bloody fault.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 11:30 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
My dad was born in South Jersey in 1962, before the Flyers were around. He was a Bruins fan until he was about 10, when he started to follow the Flyers. I assume the Cups put it over the edge for him, and he's been diehard ever since.

I have baby pictures in Flyers gear, so there's no doubt my dad raised me right. My first Flyers memory came during the 92/93 season, which was Lindros' first. My dad and I had seats in the third row and Eric got in a fight dead in front of us. I was three. My dad says that was my second or third Flyers game, but that's the first memory I can recall.

I didn't really get deep into hockey until the 1996 season when the Wachovia Center opened. I was just too young to really comprehend what was happening before then. But I remember that first game in 1996 like it was yesterday.. watching it on the couch with my dad. We lost to the Panthers 3-1, lol.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
My dad got me into the team. He started teaching me things about hockey when I was 6. I have been following the team on tv since the 1997 season when I was 8. Ever since I have missed only a handful of games. My dad recorded many old games. So I have fun watching the soviet game as well as some other great moments.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan01301 View Post
My dad got me into the team. He started teaching me things about hockey when I was 6. I have been following the team on tv since the 1997 season when I was 8. Ever since I have missed only a handful of games. My dad recorded many old games. So I have fun watching the soviet game as well as some other great moments.
Get the 10 greatest games DVDs if you don't already have them. Awesome, awesome collection -- from old to new.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Larry44

Clarke was my favourite player on Team Canada in '72. The rest was easy.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:23 AM
mitchell_neif*

I watched the 97 Playoffs with my Dad and older cousin when I was 7. I fell in love with the Flyers, especially Lindros. Hockey and the Flyers have been my thing ever since.

mitchell_neif* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 12:25 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Nhl '98

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

At the risk of being banned off this board....

I started watching hockey in 92, and was a Ranger fan pretty much until 2000 (I'm sorry!). I grew up in North Jersey, and my best friend was a Rangers fan, and that's how it started. I went to college in sourthern NJ, graduating in '97 (and got a Messier jersey for a graduation gift). Shortly after, I met my now husband, who is a die hard Flyer fan. We'd compete at first, but since I couldn't see Ranger games anymore (wasn't paying for Center Ice then), all I would watch would be Flyers games.

I started learning more about the history of the team, and had to admit that I really liked how they played. It was exciting! I probably converted within a couple years, but the 04 playoffs did me in. Game 6 in Toronto officially made me a Flyer's addict, and I haven't looked back since.

Now, I'm a partial season ticket holder, my bar is all Flyers, I've paid crap loads of cash to meet players...and it's all worth it!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2007, 01:55 AM
TheKingPin

my story is a little unorthadox.
no one in my family or any of my friends like hockey. except for my one friend who played ice hockey and decided to teach me and my brother through street hockey, whcih we sucked at. we played games 2 on 2 with the same teams. played till 10 goals and sets of 10 game series. in the beggining we lost evey game 0-10 and every series 0-10. basically got hooked on playing came up plays and understood more of the thinking aspect of things and eventuall had done a complete 180...

after that started wathcing the flyers like crazy with Leclair being my favorite player. id say i was a flyers fan for a while then opend it up to the NHL after that. now everyone in my family follows them and my gf of five years knows exactly what to get me.i will never stop being a die hard fan...its the only thing that id ever get a tatoo of actually.

here s to yet another season that none of us will miss a second of

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote