HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How you became a Flyers fan

Old
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Reath View Post
I grew up in Montreal where Hockey is a religion more important than politics, social issues, the economy and other sports are seen as trivial hobbies compared against a way of life. Nuns can talk to you baout hockey as can the police, the transit employees, your doctor and even the homeless. No one escapes a hockey opinion and most of them are as Hab obsessed as they come.

In my area of town we were sort of divided on the language issue and with it being a slightly more English speaking area some had a bit of a chip on our shoulder about being pressured into all things French, including the hockey team.

It's not like we didn't love the French because we did but we also knew what it was like not to get served in restaurants if they heard us speaking English.

To deepen the identifying traits my friends and I were the sort that got into scuffles and fist fights in and around the schoolyard but were basically good kids.

due to coverage issues we sometimes had to watch games on the French channel and we thought Dick Irvin was biased in favour of the habs until we heard the French guys who just go insane over anything the habs did.

The excessive homer mentality nauseated me.

There was only team that could come into town and put the Habs in their place physically and on the scoreboard as well a good measure of the time.

The French announcers would be outraged and scream into the screen against the Flyers and become so angry that bagn to watch more Flyer games just watch how pissed off the announcers would get.

I reveled in it. THe angrier they got the more I enjoyed the game.
The flyers were all Canadian at that time and most of them spoke English to boot and like us they were always getting in trouble somehow.

We felt like they were adult versions of ourselves.

I personally began to love the Flyers and identified so strongly with them that my adrenaline would flow uncontrollably during games and if they lost they'd always leave a calling card for the other team to rescue any wounded pride.

I loved Bernie's goal tending, in his peak years he made stops that seemed to defy all logic time and again all year long. He could give rebounds all night taunting the hopes of the shooter to put one by him and demoralize them with a 5 or 6 in a row flurry of saves.

I idolized Barber's corner work, grit and finesse. Macleish and Leach
Became icons in my world and I held a special place for Moose Dupont because he too was a Quebecer and always stood up for his mates.

Still, None of this compared to how my impressions of Bobby Clarke and his unstoppable will to win was larger than the game being played. Larger than the giant personalities of the time, larger than my understanding of sport at that age, and ultimately more determined than anything I'd witnessed in entire life.

Bobby Clarke became my personal role model and a Demi-God in my eyes.
My adulation was rewarded quickly the first year I became a die hard flyer fan as a boy, they waltzed home with lord Stanley's goods
And showed it off to the largest parade in U.S. history.

They turned down their Champaign for beer and I couldn't have admired them more for it at the time.

Later the likes of Bridgman, Holmgren and Linseman along with Behn Wilson Reinforced my Flyer pride to an absurd degree.

The refereeing debacle in !980 against the Islanders after Philly had won a game by a score of 8-3 was devastating to me. I ahd so much confidence in the flyers that I just figured they'd come back and take what was theirs the next season.

Still waiting, and still grateful for all the memories these guys have given me ever since.
Was a very good read

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Rob Reath

Thank You!

I'll edit more carefully next time.

Rob Reath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 04:30 AM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Reath View Post
I grew up in Montreal where Hockey is a religion more important than politics, social issues, the economy and other sports are seen as trivial hobbies compared against a way of life. Nuns can talk to you baout hockey as can the police, the transit employees, your doctor and even the homeless. No one escapes a hockey opinion and most of them are as Hab obsessed as they come.

In my area of town we were sort of divided on the language issue and with it being a slightly more English speaking area some had a bit of a chip on our shoulder about being pressured into all things French, including the hockey team.

It's not like we didn't love the French because we did but we also knew what it was like not to get served in restaurants if they heard us speaking English.

To deepen the identifying traits my friends and I were the sort that got into scuffles and fist fights in and around the schoolyard but were basically good kids.

due to coverage issues we sometimes had to watch games on the French channel and we thought Dick Irvin was biased in favour of the habs until we heard the French guys who just go insane over anything the habs did.

The excessive homer mentality nauseated me.

There was only team that could come into town and put the Habs in their place physically and on the scoreboard as well a good measure of the time.

The French announcers would be outraged and scream into the screen against the Flyers and become so angry that bagn to watch more Flyer games just watch how pissed off the announcers would get.

I reveled in it. THe angrier they got the more I enjoyed the game.
The flyers were all Canadian at that time and most of them spoke English to boot and like us they were always getting in trouble somehow.

We felt like they were adult versions of ourselves.

I personally began to love the Flyers and identified so strongly with them that my adrenaline would flow uncontrollably during games and if they lost they'd always leave a calling card for the other team to rescue any wounded pride.

I loved Bernie's goal tending, in his peak years he made stops that seemed to defy all logic time and again all year long. He could give rebounds all night taunting the hopes of the shooter to put one by him and demoralize them with a 5 or 6 in a row flurry of saves.

I idolized Barber's corner work, grit and finesse. Macleish and Leach
Became icons in my world and I held a special place for Moose Dupont because he too was a Quebecer and always stood up for his mates.

Still, None of this compared to how my impressions of Bobby Clarke and his unstoppable will to win was larger than the game being played. Larger than the giant personalities of the time, larger than my understanding of sport at that age, and ultimately more determined than anything I'd witnessed in entire life.

Bobby Clarke became my personal role model and a Demi-God in my eyes.
My adulation was rewarded quickly the first year I became a die hard flyer fan as a boy, they waltzed home with lord Stanley's goods
And showed it off to the largest parade in U.S. history.

They turned down their Champaign for beer and I couldn't have admired them more for it at the time.

Later the likes of Bridgman, Holmgren and Linseman along with Behn Wilson Reinforced my Flyer pride to an absurd degree.

The refereeing debacle in !980 against the Islanders after Philly had won a game by a score of 8-3 was devastating to me. I ahd so much confidence in the flyers that I just figured they'd come back and take what was theirs the next season.

Still waiting, and still grateful for all the memories these guys have given me ever since.
I vote this as best first post ever.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Rob Reath

Well, I am a hockey writer and I used to write for HF briefly.

You can check out my flyers draft review if you like here.

http://www.rotorob.com/category/hockey/page/3/

Rob Reath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 12:07 PM
rastatbone

In 1982, when I was 7, I went to hockey school in my hometown (fredericton New Brunswick) with Chuck who hailed from Cherry Hill NJ. We became friends and when he returned home he sent me the autographs of Bobby Clarke, Dave Poulin, Bill Barber, Rick MacLeish, Dave Shultz, Brad Marsh etc....the rest as they say is history.

rastatbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
hessshaun

I had no choice. It was either adoption or the Flyers and I like my family.

hessshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Cuiff

I started watching the Flyers when they were on Prism. It was a year or two before 88 joined the team. It was towards the end of the season and the Flyers were out of the playoffs but the managed to win the last 7 or 8 games of the season. From that point forward I was a hockey fan and a Flyers fan.

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

It's in my blood.
My Grandfather got season tix in year 1. Been in my family eve since.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
I was a Sinisalo, Propp, Kerr and Tocchet fan in the 80's.....

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
and Eklund too.....lol

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote