HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Brian's Beast

Old
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
Brian's Beast

My quest for goalie equipment continues...I came across an ad for a matching pair of Brians Beast blocker and catch glove...I don't know a whole lot about it except from the pics, everything looks almost brand new (says he used it twice, older guy with health problems trying to get back in the game, couldn't do it) I believe the set is 2 years old...
Anyways, I haven't really been happy with anything new in my (albeit limited) price range, and this seems like a good deal for some quality gear. Besides the obvious rips and tears, anything I should be looking for to make sure I'm not getting a turd? I apologize if this is a stupid question, I have to learn this stuff somewhere...

Thanks.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 08:59 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I recommend checking out goaliestore.com and checking their forums. It's by far the best resource for goalie equipment, you'll easily find your answers and maybe a few deals.

Brian's makes awesome equipment, I own an old brian's air hook catcher and a brian's demon blocker. Emery wears Brian's, so has tim thomas and manny fernandez used to wear a brian's catcher. The best part about Brian's gloves is that they ALL have a pro palm.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
MikeD

Brians is the most stocked goal Gear in the area so I get to check them out frequently.

Brians makes some very nice and top quality items. The beast SR and Sr pro offer large amounts of protection in both gloves. The blocker thumb guard is IMO a bit of over kill. Extending much further than the sticks shaft dia., it makes a paddle down difficult at times. Using the 1.5" shaft knob, recovering a stick was a bit more difficult. Split finger guard and multiple connections give solid puck and other impact protection.

The catch glove has very good protection as well as the more comfortable modern dual strapping system. One at the wrist and the other in line with the thumb. The cuff design will help prevent some of the redirects and near misses that result in goals.

The hybrid pad design (2006+) maintains several of the features of the traditional pad but Incorporated with todays more standard features of the butterfly pad. Angled thigh rise, offset toe lace and the quasi flat face even extended into the knee rolls make it solid for Bfly. The knee rolls being wider and flatter do a very good job of keeping a more flat front face.

Given the small amount of use, you should find not much more than puck marks and an occasional skuff at the "Near ice" ends of the skate gusset binding. Any cuts to any panel would mean a large drop in their resale value. Cut straps or broken speed clips(yes you would prob prefer) are another smaller value drop.

If the pads are 2006 or newer in like new condition you would do well if getting them at about 2/3 original price. Major cuts or ripping would bring the price to around 20% of original. Glove blocker used would be about 1/2 to 2/3 original depending on wear. Look for wear on the gloves lace bindings along glove/pocket edge. the blockers palm is another area to get a look at. Both of these areas and the amount of flattening/wear on the internal hand areas will tell you how much use the gear has seen.

NOT all senior and Pro Model are equal in the case of Catchers amd what an NHL player wears means squat in regards to the gear we are selecting from. Many of these guys wear not much more than the graphic. do not let what an NHLer is wearing influence your selection.

Last edited by MikeD: 08-09-2007 at 06:04 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
XweekendwarriorX

http://www.donsimmons.com/

that is the best goalie store i ever been to. i dont know your price but this is about 20 mins from where i live and is without a doubt the best goalie store i ever been at also the owner is the nicest guy you can meet he just wants to make every customer happy and give them the best equipment out there at your budget.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 07:58 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
payless shoes is also a great store.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote