HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Interested in offers for Joe Thornton

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 01:28 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42

I liked the Boynton and Thornton for Morrisson and Ohlund proposal, and the Arnott Matvichuk one was intruiging as well...
this has become maddening...all of you are insane

Old
01-04-2004, 01:29 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
yep. im with you on this 1.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
What is so maddening about it? Are we not allowed to discuss hypothetical trades? Isn't this what this board is for?

Old
01-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
someone stop this guy before he goes too far!!!!!!!!!

just so everyone knows, wicked is the resident thornton hater of the bruins board. he's not available - don't waste your time.
Yes, I am the resident Joe hater. Many B's posters are finally coming around to my way of thinking. I think Joe would be a great #2 and possibly #1 on any team in the league. I don't think he's a good fit for the lame Bruins team MOC has assembled.

Sorry, we currently have a few B's threads calling-out Joe on the B's board, so I thought it would be CONSTRUCTIVE to ask your opinions on the trade value.

So far, I haven't seen a proposal that's worth it. I think Joe's value is very very high.

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 01-04-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
So far, I haven't seen a proposal that's worth it. I think Joe's value is very very high.
You're prbably hoping for too much then as I doubt anyteam will seriously overpay for him. What type of offer would you be looking for anyway? Deal centered around a top d-man, center, or goalie, or all three?

Old
01-04-2004, 01:42 PM
caber24

antropov, kaberle, 1st round pick for thornton.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber24
antropov, kaberle, 1st round pick for thornton.
I was just going to post that exact offer!

I think it's fair valuewise, but would Boston do it? They would probably either want a better d-man or better centerman if they traded Thornton...

Old
01-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
You're prbably hoping for too much then as I doubt anyteam will seriously overpay for him. What type of offer would you be looking for anyway? Deal centered around a top d-man, center, or goalie, or all three?
Joe should only be moved for a top ten center who isn't old and a #1 defenceman. There isn't a center out there who is young, as talented, and has as much potential as Joe (maybe Heatley?) so a #1 d has to be in the mix...and he would have to be relatively young also. That's the problem...I don't think there are good trade partners out there.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:50 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Joe should only be moved for a top ten center who isn't old and a #1 defenceman. There isn't a center out there who is young, as talented, and has as much potential as Joe (maybe Heatley?) so a #1 d has to be in the mix...and he would have to be relatively young also. That's the problem...I don't think there are good trade partners out there.
Are we talking about the same Joe Thornton? One of the most dominant physical presences in the league?

I would trade both my nuts for him, and I'm sure the ducks would trade much more...

I'd offer Giguere plus a prospect, or if they want a young goalie.. Byzgalov, Chistov, and another in their lineup (like MacDonald)...

Thornton has to be one of the most desirable players in the league... hands down...

Old
01-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Yes, I am the resident Joe hater. Many B's posters are finally coming around to my way of thinking. I think Joe would be a great #2 and possibly #1 on any team in the league. I don't think he's a good fit for the lame Bruins team MOC has assembled.

Sorry, we currently have a few B's threads calling-out Joe on the B's board, so I thought it would be CONSTRUCTIVE to ask your opinions on the trade value.

oh ..there you are...

don't you just hate it when one of the lunatic fringe escapes ?

c'mon now wbf..time for your meds and cup of cocoa..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
01-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
he's not available - don't waste your time.
Jacob's comments suggest that may not be true for long.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Mizral

All due respect, I don't think the Canucks could or would trade for Joe Thornton, even for some of the deals said here. Joe is an RFA after this season, and almost certainly will be asking for big, big bucks next year ($8 million or so). The Canucks simply could not afford to add on that kind of salary after just signing Bertuzzi to his $6.9 million dollar extension.

Also, I question if we'd even need him. The Canucks are pretty solid at forward. Making trades for the sake of making trades I don't think improves anything. If we're going to make a trade, I'd rather see us pick up a guy like Mike Ricci, who could probobly be had for a draft pick at the deadline or so, and would add a ton to the team in the playoffs.

Old
01-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

I would think long and hard about Thornton for Kovalchuk. I still think Thornton is more valuable because he is a center. But Kovalchuk has shown big-time leadership qualities. Joe for all his abilities is kind of lacking in the maturity department. Then we'd trade a winger (Samsonov?) for a center (Peca), pick up another center (Larionov) for a draft pick -- and be all set.

Old
01-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
All due respect, I don't think the Canucks could or would trade for Joe Thornton, even for some of the deals said here. Joe is an RFA after this season, and almost certainly will be asking for big, big bucks next year ($8 million or so). The Canucks simply could not afford to add on that kind of salary after just signing Bertuzzi to his $6.9 million dollar extension.
True, but if the Canucks could get a guy like Thornton, I'm sure McCaw would losen the pursestrings. It's not every day that you would have the opportunity to get a guy like Joe. With Naslund talking about retirement in the not so distant future, there are not too many better players to replace Nazzy with then Thornton...

Quote:
Also, I question if we'd even need him. The Canucks are pretty solid at forward. Making trades for the sake of making trades I don't think improves anything. If we're going to make a trade, I'd rather see us pick up a guy like Mike Ricci, who could probobly be had for a draft pick at the deadline or so, and would add a ton to the team in the playoffs.
Well I did say that any move of that calibre would only happen in the off-season, if the Canucks bomb in the playoffs and Burke needs to tinker with the core. Otherwise a deal of that nature wouldn't happen.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 01-04-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
You are hoping for too much then. No team in their right mind will trade a top center who is still young and a young #1 d-man for Thornton. Thornton's value is high, but not that high.

Old
01-04-2004, 02:23 PM
willie

to Los Angelas Thornton, Gill

to Boston Frolov, Grebeshkov, Cammalleri, Modry

Old
01-04-2004, 02:48 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
What is so maddening about it? Are we not allowed to discuss hypothetical trades? Isn't this what this board is for?
what's maddening are the offers- thornton is worth much more than the nonsense being spewed here

Old
01-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
what's maddening are the offers- thornton is worth much more than the nonsense being spewed here
So a #1 d-man and a #1 center, both under 28 years old is "nonsense"? Boston may not be looking to move Thornton, but some of the offers in this thread are more than fair valuewise.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

Old
01-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Peter Griffin

A picture of neelynugs comparing the various offers in this thread...

Old
01-04-2004, 03:27 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
So a #1 d-man and a #1 center, both under 28 years old is "nonsense"? Boston may not be looking to move Thornton, but some of the offers in this thread are more than fair valuewise.
well, i don't consider morrison a #1 center. i consider him a very good #2 center that plays on a #1 line. so who's the HOMER now?

Old
01-04-2004, 03:29 PM
neelynugs

Quote:

A picture of neelynugs comparing the various offers in this thread...

firstly, i don't really care for you referring to me as a buffoon. finally, ask 1,000 people and you'll get 90% agreement that your proposal is weak.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:31 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
here's a couple from an avs perspective(however, there is no way in hell joe "the plow" thornton gets dealt)

to col: thornton & gill

to bos: hedjuk, skoula & 1st

to col: thornton, gill, boyton

to bos: morris, skoula & tanguay

to col: thornton

to bos:hedjuk, boychuk, svatos & 1st

to col: thornton, murray(have great chemistry that would interest other teams) & gill

to bos: hedjuk & tanguay

the best power forward line in the history of hockey: forsberg-thornton-murray

but like i said this is all fantasy!?

Old
01-04-2004, 03:37 PM
btmarshall

vCash:
Well, if the Caps found some way to trade Jagr to the Rangers this year, which is a big IF right now, they'd bite. One thing that Washington has is a lot of good young talent.

Maybe Gonchar, Zubrus, and the Caps' 1st round pick this year (likely a top three overall) for Thornton. Not sure of what the Bruins would most want, veterans with salary, or bluechip prospects (i.e. whether they would want Eminger instead).

Anyway, there's a #1 defenseman and a cheap but improving scoring center in Zubrus. Plus a great draft pick (maybe goalie Marek Schwartz or defenseman Cam Barker). Salary is an important issue with the Bruins, as always.

Either way, Thornton is not available, but that's pretty good value there.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:41 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Taylor Pyatt,Thomas Vanek,Jay McKee and Miroslav Satan for Thornton and a pick

Closed Thread