[Eklund] Dallas Shopping Jussi Jokinen

Old
08-11-2007, 11:18 AM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
[Eklund] Dallas Shopping Jussi Jokinen

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8914
Jussi Jokinen > FLA (e2), TOR (e1), NYI (e1)

Wasn't he going to arbitration....what's happened with that.

Players I'd be interested in:

FLA:
Olli Jokinen - getting a little older, but still good
Nathan Horton - not gonna happen
Rostislav Olesz
Michael Frolik

TOR:
Alexander Steen
Nikolai Kulemin
Jiri Tlusty

NYI:
Kyle Okposo
Jeff Tambellini

A first round pick in 08' or '09 from FLA or the Isles would be of interest as well.

Where is October when you need it?

Last edited by OttMorrow: 08-11-2007 at 11:23 AM.
OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Army is looking for player who can help right now, so of that list only Jokinen/Horton would really help, but i don't see the Panthers trading one of them

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Chad_

By all news accounts, Toronto is trying to shed salary, not take any on. Florida won't trade Horton or Jokinen, so cross them off the list too, and most of their remaining roster is in the same boat as Jussi (young and not entirely proven). Now you're stuck with the Islanders, and as Walzy already wrote, that makes little sense given the list you put up. Without that list, it still doesn't make sense considering NY doesn't exactly have many guys who would fit a need for the Stars.

Score another winning farce for Eklund.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Svensken

I would be interesting in:

Florida
Horton lol

Toronto
Steen

Islanders
Bergeron
Comrie
Hunter

Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
Islanders
Bergeron
Comrie
Hunter
Bergeron ? Why would you trade Jokinen for a dman who maybe wouldn't even in the top6 in Dallas ?
Comrie might be an upgrade over Ribeiro but i think this minor upgrade is not really needed.
But i agree with Hunter...

Old
08-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Alistar

I think MAB could play in Dallas, albeit in a limited even strength role on the 3rd pairing. He would put up ~30 points though even with his limited ice time just from his PP contributions.... If he got some serious time here I wouldnt be surprised to see 3 of our top 5 scorers as defensmen lol. I think MAB will get 50+pts this year on the Islanders with some games to spare... Edmonton is definetly wishing they never traded him away =p

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Dr GLU

Jokinen never filed for arbitration.

The lack of a contract and his similarity to Ribeiro is probably fueling the speculation.

He's got value, and if he could bring a scorer of roughly similar age, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him, but it doesn't make sense to get rid of him with the lack of skill the Stars have on their roster otherwise.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 04:20 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
From Mike Heika's blog for Dallas Morning News:

Quote:
Jokinen's agents _ Mark Gandler and Todd Diamond _ are the same agents that Alexei Yashin has, and they're pretty tough. They can always use the threat of a contract in Europe to put pressure on the negotiations. If they do, then the question would be: How much do the Stars need Jokinen?

On the surface, it would seem important to get the fourth leading scorer on the team under contract, especially when you consider Jokinen had a down year and still had 48 points (14 goals, 34 assists). He is also an important part of the shootout.

However, the Stars, I believe, feel they have several players who can do what Jokinen does. Loui Eriksson is a natural left wing and could easily slide onto a line with Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen. Joel Lundqvist can play left wing and looks like he has the potential to be a top-six forward. You could even try Lundqvist as a No. 2 center and play Modano as a wing on a line with Mike Ribiero. The bottom line is the Stars have choices. They also appear to be looking at spending money to get a top six goal-scoring winger who would fit in the spot that Jokinen typically occupies. Mix that with the fact the fourth line (where Jokinen played with Niklas Hagman and Antti Miettinen at times) is probably going to consist of bangers, and it appears Jokinen is a replaceable part.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Kevin Wey

Mike Heika's blog hit the nail on the head. Jokinen is certainly useful, but Loui Eriksson can slot up to that second line position (which is probably where Eriksson will top out). If the Stars do trade Jokinen, it would be good if they could get a second line right wing in return. That's pretty much a straight-up second line trade, just one team having an extra right winger and one (Dallas) having the left winger. Allow Eriksson to skate with Ribeiro and a solid second line right wing, and he'll put up respectable second line numbers. Eriksson needs to be with a winger who can set him up and whom he can also set up.

As for trading Jokinen for a right winger, I haven't looked through everyone's roster to see what team that might be.

Dallas certainly does not need any defensemen, unless it's packaging a couple veteran defensemen for a star defenseman. (And that won't be Robidas and Baumgartner, either; in fact, the defensemen for star defenseman scenario is very remote.) A more likely scenario might be packaging Robidas with Jokinen for a real solid second line right winger. Obviously, the salary cap will limit who can play ball with that.

As for Lundqvist, I wonder if he actually has top six talent. I'd be more inclined to say top nine talent and able to fill in from time to time on the second line when injuries necessitate. But, as I project him, I personally don't see him as a full-time second-line center. I also don't think Ribeiro is a true number one center in the NHL, at least on a top team. He's certainly a second line talent, but... I mean on a truly competitive NHL team, I'm not talking about what the Phoenix Coyotes might be fielding on their roster. This is why when I say top nine for Lundqvist, I mean on a strong, Stanley-Cup contending team. Obviously, Modano's game seems to be fading some, so maybe Dallas does need a new number one center, but I think it needs to be a higher caliber than Ribeiro. You might say, "But Kevin, Anaheim uses Andy McDonald and Los Angeles uses Mike Cammalleri and Phoenix has nobody close to a first line center." Which is true, and Ribeiro can be compared to McDonald and Cammalleri, but San Jose has Joe Thornton as their first line center and Patrick Marleau as their second line center. Anaheim follows up McDonald with Getzlaf. If Ribeiro becomes the first line center, they're going to need to follow that up with a center almost exactly as good on the second line, and that's probably not Lundqvist.

Last edited by Kevin Wey: 08-11-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 10:11 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
If Jokinen is indeed gone, I have a feeling that it won't be to another team, it will be back to Europe. That being said I think that Jokinen will be dressed for the Stars this season, although with everyday that passes a little less of me thinks that.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Svensken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
Bergeron ? Why would you trade Jokinen for a dman who maybe wouldn't even in the top6 in Dallas ?
Comrie might be an upgrade over Ribeiro but i think this minor upgrade is not really needed.
But i agree with Hunter...
Did I say anything about trade? I wrote what the teams have that was interesting to me... damn man...

Old
08-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Walzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
Did I say anything about trade? I wrote what the teams have that was interesting to me... damn man...
the last time i checked this thread is about the Stars might shop Jokinen...
so where's the sense of writing a list of guys who could interested if it has nothing to do with dumping Jokinen on the other side ?

Old
08-12-2007, 09:25 AM
sloanfan16

there is no one on the teams that eklund named that met the 3 criteria that this trade would be based.

1. worth jokinen
2. other team willing to trade
3. fills a need on the stars

jokinen FLA would be great but why would florida trade him or horton

toronto has no one that could contribute in the top 6 now except steen and tucker neither they want to move

and neither does NYI except for hunter but jokinen has a much higher upside

satan would be nice but considering he is a free agent after this year is it worth jussi

sloanfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Svensken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
the last time i checked this thread is about the Stars might shop Jokinen...
so where's the sense of writing a list of guys who could interested if it has nothing to do with dumping Jokinen on the other side ?
Well excuuuuse me then princess.

Old
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Fattal

Jussi Jokinen for Ryder?

Fattal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Kevin Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattal View Post
Jussi Jokinen for Ryder?
I certainly don't speak for the Dallas front office, but I personally would take that deal. Ryder does fit the bill of Top 6 forward who also is a right winger. Eriksson-Ribeiro-Ryder would work for the second line with Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen as the first line.

Then probably a line of Hagman-Lundqvist-Miettinen and a line of Fedoruk/Winchester-Halpern-Barnes, with the Fedoruk/Winchester (whoever's not in) and Ott as the depth forwards.

Honestly, I would expect Montreal to want more than just Jokinen for Ryder, but the Stars could include a guy like Ott to make up the difference. I haven't looked at the cap space, but Ryder would fit the bill for what Dallas needs (in my opinion, obviously).

Old
08-13-2007, 10:04 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
I too would do Ryder for Jokinen. That 2nd line of Eriksson-Ribeiro-Ryder could be pretty dynamic. Ryder is one of the few guys talked about on this board that I have had an interest in. He is a goal scorer first and foremost, he's under 30, and I don't believe his contract is ridiculous. Also, may be able to find some chemistry with his old teammate in Ribeiro.

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Alistar

Im pretty sure we had a Ryder thread a while back and the general consensus among Montreal fans in there was that Jokinen wasnt going to cut it by himself...

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey View Post
I certainly don't speak for the Dallas front office, but I personally would take that deal. Ryder does fit the bill of Top 6 forward who also is a right winger. Eriksson-Ribeiro-Ryder would work for the second line with Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen as the first line.

Then probably a line of Hagman-Lundqvist-Miettinen and a line of Fedoruk/Winchester-Halpern-Barnes, with the Fedoruk/Winchester (whoever's not in) and Ott as the depth forwards.

Honestly, I would expect Montreal to want more than just Jokinen for Ryder, but the Stars could include a guy like Ott to make up the difference. I haven't looked at the cap space, but Ryder would fit the bill for what Dallas needs (in my opinion, obviously).
I would do the deal, I would even throw in Miettienen and Ott. About your lines, Modano and Morrow do not have good chemistry. I doubt that we would see them together.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2007, 11:36 PM
The Polak*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I think MAB could play in Dallas, albeit in a limited even strength role on the 3rd pairing. He would put up ~30 points though even with his limited ice time just from his PP contributions.... If he got some serious time here I wouldnt be surprised to see 3 of our top 5 scorers as defensmen lol. I think MAB will get 50+pts this year on the Islanders with some games to spare... Edmonton is definetly wishing they never traded him away =p
Don't think you'll find many (if any) oiler fans that agree with that.

Maybe in fantasy hockey where OMG POINTS ROXXOR.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Chief Jokinen

Are people here seriously thinking that Olli Jokinen could be somehow acquired to Dallas? No way in hell.

Chief Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
thebatlab

1 e2 and 2 e1s. Even by Eklunds "standards", those have about a 1% combined probability of ever happening.

Essentially it means someone (an agent, a player, a GM, a fan, a psych inmate) said "Hey, the Stars have Jussi Jokinen. Maybe they'll trade him?"

thebatlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Jokinen View Post
Are people here seriously thinking that Olli Jokinen could be somehow acquired to Dallas? No way in hell.
Nah, they're just picking players that would be useful to the Stars off of Florida's roster. One of those "if Dallas is going to trade with Florida, useful players in return would be XXX," type of deals.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Kevin Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
I would do the deal, I would even throw in Miettienen and Ott. About your lines, Modano and Morrow do not have good chemistry. I doubt that we would see them together.
Which is a bummer, because Morrow adds needed physicality to that line.

I guess the question would really be, for Montreal fans, what do they need? I can look at their depth chart and prospect depth chart and get a really good idea of what they'd need on paper, but for bulletin board purposes, the ideas of knowledgeable fans of what Montreal really needs would be helpful. Don't ask for a goalie, though. Trading other third and fourth line players, or even a defenseman, would be possible. If the Stars were to trade Miettinen, people could shift up. If two forwards had to be included, then a guy like Pushkarev could be recalled and play in Dallas. (He's a good player who I'm sure could fit in in a third or fourth line role, he's a fairly well-rounded player.)

Old
08-15-2007, 12:37 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
About your lines, Modano and Morrow do not have good chemistry. I doubt that we would see them together.
I disagree they had fine chemistry, but Morrow has better chemistry with Ribiero.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote