HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Bands that your friends like - that you just don't get

Old
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
It's funny because most of the bands I love are British, but they are definitely one I just never got. The same goes for the Stone Roses. Both were highly regarded over there, but I don't get either of them.
Arctic Monkeys = good, but overhyped band
Stone Roses = one of the greatest British bands of all time

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
IrishSniper87

Dave Matthews Band= OVERRATED

All he does is get high/drunk and ruin his own stuff in concert, and its only ok stuff to begin with. Why do people love this stuff?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
vtec5600*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
Dave Matthews Band= OVERRATED

All he does is get high/drunk and ruin his own stuff in concert, and its only ok stuff to begin with. Why do people love this stuff?

You clearly have no understanding of dmb and or any of his music especially live, so before forming this opinion at least do a little research before making yourself sound for lack of a better word; dumb.

vtec5600* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Add Alice in Chains... do not like. at all.
Agreed Metelica is not getting enough respect...but I can not disagree with you anymore on Alice in Chains. Probably the most versatille band to ever come out of the grunge era. They have so many different styles that the metal head can enjoy but also alot of great mellow tunes.

Staley was one of the most unique singers around.

Also someone said the Arctic Monkeys...I love these guys. Every new band get's a little over-hyped.

All time Fav's - Blcak Sabbath, Alice In Chains & Soundgarden

Current Fav's - The Vines, The Features, The Arctic Monkeys

Band all my friends like but I can not stand - Dave Mathews Band.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black View Post
1. Dave Matthews Band
2. Pearl Jam

And various other over-rated girly bands.
i'm a big DMB fan, but i can at least see that commentary for them... however, where one gets off calling Pearl Jam an "overrated girly band" is beyond me. not to mention they have two of the best albums of the 90s.

they're also a great live act... led by the best rock voice since The Doors went away.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i'm a big DMB fan, but i can at least see that commentary for them... however, where one gets off calling Pearl Jam an "overrated girly band" is beyond me. not to mention they have two of the best albums of the 90s.

they're also a great live act... led by the best rock voice since The Doors went away.
+1.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Orange and Black

Quote:

Dear god.

I don't know how old you are, but read this list. Download their music. Lock yourself in a room and don't come out until you've seen the light.

In no particular order...

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath (Ozzy and Dio Era)
The Rolling Stones ('60s and '70s)
Metallica ('83-'92)
Deep Purple
Pantera
Alice Cooper ('70s)
Van Halen (DLR era)
Yes
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Kiss
The Misfits
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Overkill
Exodus
Testament

Once you're enlightened, I will share more.

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Dear god.

I don't know how old you are, but read this list. Download their music. Lock yourself in a room and don't come out until you've seen the light.

Led Zeppelin
Metallica ('83-'92)
Deep Purple
Pantera
Alice Cooper ('70s)
Van Halen (DLR era)
Yes
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Kiss
The Misfits
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Overkill
Exodus
Testament

Testament <3

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Kenadyan

Next time I'm in Philly, I'll have to roll down the windows and crank-up the Nickelback!!!

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
To be honest, I don't mind earlier Nickelback. They're nice to listen to when I want to deviate from metal.

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Dear god.

Led Zeppelin
Metallica ('83-'92)
Deep Purple
Pantera
Alice Cooper ('70s)
Van Halen (DLR era)
Yes
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Kiss
The Misfits
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Overkill
Exodus
Testament

i'm 26, and have heard everything you've just listed. don't mistake something not being heavy on hard guitar play, black leather, and head banging as being 'girly'.

Stones, Zeppelin, Who, and the Clash are some of my favorite bands... and based on the list, i would argue you need to expand your horizons a bit... not me. Dave Matthews Band are what they are, and I respect that not everyone likes them... but they can also play every single band you just mentioned under the table as far as using their instruments... same goes for someone like Phish, who also have extremely complex instrumentals.

'Course, I would never make a direct comparison of DMB and Pearl Jam, so I question how well you know either band. Different sound, lyrical quality, and vastly different concert experiences.

Old
08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Dear god.

Led Zeppelin
Metallica ('83-'92)
Deep Purple
Pantera
Alice Cooper ('70s)
Van Halen (DLR era)
Yes
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Kiss
The Misfits
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Overkill
Exodus
Testament

What, no love for Judas Priest?!!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 11:46 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
i'm 26, and have heard everything you've just listed. don't mistake something not being heavy on hard guitar play, black leather, and head banging as being 'girly'.

Stones, Zeppelin, Who, and the Clash are some of my favorite bands... and based on the list, i would argue you need to expand your horizons a bit... not me. Dave Matthews Band are what they are, and I respect that not everyone likes them... but they can also play every single band you just mentioned under the table as far as using their instruments... same goes for someone like Phish, who also have extremely complex instrumentals.

'Course, I would never make a direct comparison of DMB and Pearl Jam, so I question how well you know either band. Different sound, lyrical quality, and vastly different concert experiences.

Please tell me you are not comparing Dave Matthew's guitar playing to a couple guys named Page and Van Halen. Regardless of specific musical taste, any person who has been alive for the last four decades would most certainly rank both Page and Eddie in the top 5 greatest guitarists EVER. I can assure you that Dave Matthews is not one of the other three.

EDIT-for the record, I do not dislike Dave Matthews, but to say he can play Page and Van Halen under the table is just plain, well, laughable.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Please tell me you are not comparing Dave Matthew's guitar playing to a couple guys named Page and Van Halen. Regardless of specific musical taste, any person who has been alive for the last four decades would most certainly rank both Page and Eddie in the top 5 greatest guitarists EVER. I can assure you that Dave Matthews is not one of the other three.

EDIT-for the record, I do not dislike Dave Matthews, but to say he can play Page and Van Halen under the table is just plain, well, laughable.
Dave is by far the weak link in the Dave Matthews Band instrumentally... what he plays is by far the most simple music they play, when they bring in Tim Reynolds, who plays relatively frequently with them... they have competitive guitar level with whomever you might want to compare them with.

The instrumental strength of Dave Matthews Band has always been the violin, sax, and bass play. Some of the more technically complex music you'll find out there is produced by the band, and they get respect from conservatory trained musicians for the level they play at.

I said Dave Matthews Band, not Dave Matthews. Before one laughs, they should remember that we're talking about bands... not solo acts. Most, but not all bands have very low levels of training with their tools... especially with modern rock, which is rather pathetic instrumentally. If we want to talk about solo aspects of bands, that's a completely different discussion... and I wouldn't be shocked if some of the best guitarists ever are not people you or I know.

Last edited by Jester: 08-15-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old
08-15-2007, 01:56 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I am always mystified when somebody defends Phish or DMB by saying that they play their instruments really well. I couldn't give a damn because it all sounds so damned awful.

Some of my all time favorite songs are three chord punk anthems that a monkey could learn how to play. How difficult it is to play a song has no standing on how good it is, particularly in rock/pop music.

Now, there is something to be said for musicianship, but if that is all you are basing the quality of the band on, than you are completely overlooking songwriting, which I feel is far more important.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 02:05 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

I respect DMB for what they do, but i'm not sure its fair to claim that they can play virtuosos like those found in Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Metallica "under the table" The music really isn't all that comparable and each are some of the best musicians out there.

Anyway, i still agree with the main point you're making in that DMB are extremely skilled musicians, and just because you don't dig it doesn't take away from how good they are.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
I hate Corporate Rock.
Corporate Rock is the Boy Band of the 21st Century.

Nickelback
Theory Of A Deadman
Saliva
Hinder
3 Doors Down
Stone Sour
Staind
Lifehouse
Creed
Puddle Of Mudd

All of these bands could be tossed into a bottomless pit, for the damage they've done to the modern rock scene.

Countless songs dealing with crying about failed relationships, mean girlfriends, cheating girlfriends, begging for forgiveness, getting dumped, trying to "work it out"...

The worst is Theory Of A Deadman's "Make Up Your Mind". It makes me ill, hearing the mindless droning repetition.

If you honestly like corporate rock, you are either:

a) A female who likes absolute control of her relationships
b) A male who cries a lot about women and one night stands
c) A very dull person who dislikes variety
d) Drunk off your ass 24-7

Someone, please, explain to me how corporate rock holds any value. I'll take ANY type of music (Phish, DMB, Metal, even emo) over this crap.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I am always mystified when somebody defends Phish or DMB by saying that they play their instruments really well. I couldn't give a damn because it all sounds so damned awful.

Some of my all time favorite songs are three chord punk anthems that a monkey could learn how to play. How difficult it is to play a song has no standing on how good it is, particularly in rock/pop music.

Now, there is something to be said for musicianship, but if that is all you are basing the quality of the band on, than you are completely overlooking songwriting, which I feel is far more important.
whether you appreciate their music or not is fair... i also happen to like their lyrics (DMB), Phish's lyrics tend to be mildly ridiculous, so the strength of their music entirely lies in their ability to play their tools.

i would also argue that a pretty big part of songwriting is the ability to play a song. i tend not to appreciate bands that have generic and simple music... fun to listen to? sure. interesting? not really. if all you want are lyrics... poetry does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I respect DMB for what they do, but i'm not sure its fair to claim that they can play virtuosos like those found in Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Metallica "under the table" The music really isn't all that comparable and each are some of the best musicians out there.

Anyway, i still agree with the main point you're making in that DMB are extremely skilled musicians, and just because you don't dig it doesn't take away from how good they are.
music at the end of the day is a purely personal enjoyment issue, of course. just like any other artistic enterprise. the professional quality of the musicians in DMB on violin (not going to find in too many other 'rock' bands), bass, and sax is a step above the level you'll find in most other bands, only point there is to really make. this is a product of the fact that most bands don't tend to have technically well trained musicians. as a jam band (not nearly as much so as someone like Phish), they also have a slightly more interesting live experience than most bands i've seen.

i've always liked Metallica, but can say with certainty the majority of their stuff is relatively easy to play... as when i was learning guitar a while back i was taught more than a few of their songs. the genre, as is the case of most professional bands, doesn't tend to take too much advantage of musicianship outside of potentially in solos.

i remain fascinated that a direct comparison was made between a southeast jam band led by a dude that grew up in South Africa... and a band that grew up in the Seattle Grunge scene.

Old
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
whether you appreciate their music or not is fair... i also happen to like their lyrics (DMB), Phish's lyrics tend to be mildly ridiculous, so the strength of their music entirely lies in their ability to play their tools.

i would also argue that a pretty big part of songwriting is the ability to play a song. i tend not to appreciate bands that have generic and simple music... fun to listen to? sure. interesting? not really. if all you want are lyrics... poetry does exist.

music at the end of the day is a purely personal enjoyment issue, of course. just like any other artistic enterprise. the professional quality of the musicians in DMB on violin (not going to find in too many other 'rock' bands), bass, and sax is a step above the level you'll find in most other bands, only point there is to really make. this is a product of the fact that most bands don't tend to have technically well trained musicians. as a jam band (not nearly as much so as someone like Phish), they also have a slightly more interesting live experience than most bands i've seen.

i've always liked Metallica, but can say with certainty the majority of their stuff is relatively easy to play... as when i was learning guitar a while back i was taught more than a few of their songs. the genre, as is the case of most professional bands, doesn't tend to take too much advantage of musicianship outside of potentially in solos.

i remain fascinated that a direct comparison was made between a southeast jam band led by a dude that grew up in South Africa... and a band that grew up in the Seattle Grunge scene.

To me when you refer to bass, violin and sax, you are referring to a 'rhythm section' of a band. To that, I would point to John Paul Jones and John Bonham as being the best rhythm section EVER.

As to direct comparisons, I would remind you that it was you who originally drew the comparison, not us.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 08:10 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

I'd rather listen to the Ramones play the same basic song hundreds of times over than one Phish song. I get something out of the Ramones song. It is fun. I get nothing out of the Phish song. I find their music excruciatingly boring.

Which isn't to say that I don't like interesting music, either. I don't think you can call a Radiohead song fun, for example. In the end, music, like any art form, has to resonate with you. Which is what this whole thread is about in the end, different things resonating for different people.

Can we all agree at least that Nickleback need to be flogged for their crimes against humanity?

Old
08-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
To me when you refer to bass, violin and sax, you are referring to a 'rhythm section' of a band. To that, I would point to John Paul Jones and John Bonham as being the best rhythm section EVER.

As to direct comparisons, I would remind you that it was you who originally drew the comparison, not us.
DMB plays much more along the lines of a jazz band... there aren't "sections" to the music. They simply have different instruments and play off of one another. unlike almost every band here, the lead instrument is NOT the guitar.

did i?

Quote:
1. Dave Matthews Band
2. Pearl Jam

And various other over-rated girly bands.
no, i didn't. nor was i referring to you comparing them.

Old
08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'd rather listen to the Ramones play the same basic song hundreds of times over than one Phish song. I get something out of the Ramones song. It is fun. I get nothing out of the Phish song. I find their music excruciatingly boring.

Which isn't to say that I don't like interesting music, either. I don't think you can call a Radiohead song fun, for example. In the end, music, like any art form, has to resonate with you. Which is what this whole thread is about in the end, different things resonating for different people.

Can we all agree at least that Nickleback need to be flogged for their crimes against humanity?
The Ramones are pretty awesome for the energy they bring, as is true of a few of the bands coming out around then... The Clash are another band like that. I appreciate all of that stuff... just dislike being told I need to be "educated" and then getting a pretty one-dimensional list thrown in my face.

Old
08-15-2007, 08:23 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
The Ramones are pretty awesome for the energy they bring, as is true of a few of the bands coming out around then... The Clash are another band like that. I appreciate all of that stuff... just dislike being told I need to be "educated" and then getting a pretty one-dimensional list thrown in my face.
I also think others declaring that you should get "educated" while throwing out a list of predictable metal/rock as great music are being silly, at the very least.

That said, Phish still sucks.

Old
08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
That said, Phish still sucks.
I like Phish, but appreciate why others do not... same for DMB. True of any music for that matter... but just noting that the reason people do like those bands is in Phish's case purely because of the musical talent, and in DMB's case the fact that they're a hybrid between mainstream rock and the culture of jam bands.

Old
08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Orange and Black

Quote:

You seem like a nice guy. So, I'll be kind. My first 3 years at Temple U. were spent as a music major (Jazz Performance - Guitar). I've been playing for 20 years (I'm 32 -argh). I know my stuff.

The type of music you enjoy to listen to is subjective. That's individual taste. Technique, musicianship, theory, and composition are objective. Meaning, they can be disected and critiqued.

DMB has an excellent drummer. Dave Matthews is good at what he does, but he's not a great guitar player. I respect him and guys like John Mayer because they introduce non-traditional harmony and song structure into rock music. But, I can't stand to listen to music my mom would buy - and she does.

Pearl Jam, I'm sorry, they are the grunge Hootie and the Blowfish. Just because they are popular doesn't make them relevant. They were no where near the most interesting or best band of their time. I'm not a huge fan of the 90s and what it did to rock music, but I like early Soundgarden (Louder than Love, Badmotorfinger), Alice in Chains, and Rage against the Machine.

Let's start with their albums and how each album since Ten has been progressively worse in they way they have been written, produced, and performed. The guitar players are extremely unoriginal. If I hear one more jacked Hendrix riff, I'm going to yack. There's a difference between borrowing and creating something fresh (a.k.a SRV) and flat out stealing (a.k.a Yellow lead better or whatever that dumb song is called.)

Eddie Vedder is the type of self-righteous rock star I personally can't stand (a watered down Bono ). What is with his bad Neil Young impression anyway?
At least Neil is cool.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion. Looking at him objectively. He is just boring as a front man. I was watching a concert of their's on one of the HD channels and he just stood there. There's nothing dynamic or special about his vocals - unless you consider soft mumble, loud mumble dynamic. Melodically, he does nothing special. Singing around the root of each song is just blah after a while. I'd take the guy from Tool over him anyday, and I don't particularly care for them either. Chris Cornell (in the Soundgarden days) was 1000xs more interesting.

I would never tell anyone what to listen to. If you enjoy it, more power to you. Just don't mention them in the same breath as Zep or Metallica. It makes me shudder.

And, oh yeah, the Doors fall into the same category as PJ. When compared to their contemporaries like the Yardbirds, the Jeff Beck group, or even Cream, they sound like elevator music.

If you don't like heavy or hard rock, that's cool. Check out Yes especially the Close to the Edge album or old Genesis like the Trick of a tale album. Then, you'll know why I don't think DMB is anything special.

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote