HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phillies 2007 Part Deux

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Phillies 2007 Part Deux

Continue the discussion here.

Old
08-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
and there's the jinx.

Old
08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
BringBackStevens

just wanted to give a brief LOL at jester's large stop running on francour post, after he chucked the ball into the stands

Old
08-13-2007, 12:02 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
You just guaranteed that there will be no pennant race as far as the Phillies are concerned.

Old
08-13-2007, 12:06 AM
uvegotafrendinpa

i think this thread just solidified a couple more additions to our dl

Old
08-13-2007, 12:25 AM
KevinLin

Ouch...whens Bourn and Vic due back.

Old
08-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Amateur Hour

Please, gjk, please, I implore you to change the name of this thread. It can only lead to (more) bad things.

I wish Jamie Moyer could teach Adam Eaton how to pitch. Which reminds me... as soon as Moyer hangs 'em up, I hope the Phillies hire him as the team's pitching coach.

Old
08-13-2007, 08:40 AM
KevinLin

I agree, Jamie is a great local guy to have around. And Dubee is just meh.

Also lets give burrell a break about being thrown out, it would have been hard for victorino to have scored on that play cause the ball was hit really hard to francouer.

Old
08-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
I agree, Jamie is a great local guy to have around. And Dubee is just meh.

Also lets give burrell a break about being thrown out, it would have been hard for victorino to have scored on that play cause the ball was hit really hard to francouer.
when a guy gets thrown out by that much it's entirely on the third base coach.

Old
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
KevinLin

Now the werth one I would have like werth to show some balls because McCann had trouble with that catch a lil bit.

Old
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
when a guy gets thrown out by that much it's entirely on the third base coach.
Absolutely Smith's fault. This guy has no business coaching third base and has cost the Phils at least a game or 2 this season. Fortunately Ryan Howard assured that it wouldn't cost the Phils this game.

The next 6 games against weaker opponents on the road is key. Another 4 out of 6 would be good with the Mets continuing to slump.

Old
08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
McNasty

Werthless made a pretty little move to not get tagged out, had he kept his balance he would have scored, not that it matters. They do need a third base coach, but in all fairness how many times have we seen victorino do exactly what Franceour did? The werth blunder is a little different because you have the pitcher coming up anyway, so may as well go for it because more often then not he won't get a chance to come home anyway.

Old
08-13-2007, 09:41 AM
IrishSniper87

The biggest thing would to NOT get swept when we actually face the Mets. Splitting against them or taking the series when we face them does a world of difference compared to actually winning against everyone else and then lossing to them.

Old
08-13-2007, 09:44 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Please, gjk, please, I implore you to change the name of this thread. It can only lead to (more) bad things.

I wish Jamie Moyer could teach Adam Eaton how to pitch. Which reminds me... as soon as Moyer hangs 'em up, I hope the Phillies hire him as the team's pitching coach.
Smartest thing I have ever read concerning the Phillies on a message board. Moyer as pitching coach sounds great. Do you see the way Moyer always talks to the pitchers when he isn't pitching? Him and Cole get along great and he is a fountain of knowledge. Try going to the official board on the Phil's site and all you get is Mets and Braves fans trolling and crazy homers trying to propose Burrell, Carrasco, 2 prospects and cash for Johan Santana.

Old
08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
phlocky

LOL, I thought this was a new thread at first. It's nice to see GKJ did change the name to remove the "Jinx" any of you may have felt this would bring on. I for one don't believe in any big cosmic negative energy that will play in the downfall of the Phillies if you post something positive. They will do a good enough job on their own with the owners, GM and godd ole Charlie. Just imagine if we hadn't run off Scotty R at third. Man would this team be stoked.

Old
08-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
LOL, I thought this was a new thread at first. It's nice to see GKJ did change the name to remove the "Jinx" any of you may have felt this would bring on. I for one don't believe in any big cosmic negative energy that will play in the downfall of the Phillies if you post something positive. They will do a good enough job on their own with the owners, GM and godd ole Charlie. Just imagine if we hadn't run off Scotty R at third. Man would this team be stoked.
[William Penn is heard laughing in the background]

Scott Rolen ran himself out of town... the management isn't great, obviously, but Rolen wanted out and got himself out. His life isn't without controversy in St. Louis either, so it can't be said to be entirely the Phils fault.

Old
08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
[William Penn is heard laughing in the background]

Scott Rolen ran himself out of town... the management isn't great, obviously, but Rolen wanted out and got himself out. His life isn't without controversy in St. Louis either, so it can't be said to be entirely the Phils fault.
And considering their production and injuries in the past year or two, I'd much rather still have Polanco at third than Rolen.

Old
08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
And considering their production and injuries in the past year or two, I'd much rather still have Polanco at third than Rolen.
i remain very bitter about the Polanco deal. benching Bell and putting Polanco at 3rd was such an obvious move.

Old
08-13-2007, 10:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
It's a shame Scott Rolen won a World Series. He clearly didn't deserve it. They say quitters never win...well he quit and he won.

Old
08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Flyers Fan Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's a shame Scott Rolen won a World Series. He clearly didn't deserve it. They say quitters never win...well he quit and he won.
What about people who quit smoking?

Eh, I kind of wish we had Rolen now. We need help at third base. The Phillies should never have traded Polanco, though. I would have just made him play at third.

Old
08-13-2007, 11:51 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
i remain very bitter about the Polanco deal. benching Bell and putting Polanco at 3rd was such an obvious move.
Why? He told us he didn't want to play 3rd everyday. He wanted to play second. It was Polanco or Utley. We took Utley. My gleam of hope is that Iguchi said he would try third when Utley gets back. Thats exciting! If he is any good, I say re-sign him!!

Old
08-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
Why? He told us he didn't want to play 3rd everyday. He wanted to play second. It was Polanco or Utley. We took Utley. My gleam of hope is that Iguchi said he would try third when Utley gets back. Thats exciting! If he is any good, I say re-sign him!!
it's a tough transition from 2nd to 3rd... speed the ball is on you, the different angles involved. i'll be curious to see how well that happens if he's never been on the left side of the infield.

Old
08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
rayearth

Quote:
it's a tough transition from 2nd to 3rd... speed the ball is on you, the different angles involved. i'll be curious to see how well that happens if he's never been on the left side of the infield.
The throw to 1st is probably around twice as far depending on where the ball is fielded.

Old
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
The throw to 1st is probably around twice as far depending on where the ball is fielded.
i was a third basemen in HS/Legion... and was forced to play an inning at 2nd one time due to a slew of moves... traumatic experience and, of course, had a ground ball hit to me. i just think that's one of those easier said than done type of deals... SS to 3rd isn't so bad, but 2nd to 3rd is going to be a big one to attempt to do well in season... if he had spring training to get some games and all that in, would be less of an issue.

i like him as a player and if he can pull it off i'd be a supporter of considering him there for next year if he's interested. assuming A-Rod doesn't want to come

if A-Rod is thinking about his transcript, signing to play in CBP is the best thing he could ever do.

Last edited by Jester: 08-13-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old
08-13-2007, 12:20 PM
phlocky

Quote:
If you've ever played the infield beyond little league you'd know that 3rd base is the most intimidating position on the infield. Generally you play closer to the batter than any of the other positions (except pitcher) and when a guy turns on a ball and smokes it down the line at you it's on you in a hurry. You have to be just a tad bit on the crazy side to WANT to play 3rd. You don't need very good range but you do need to have a gun for an arm and you need to havevery quick reactions. It's all about quickness and power, not speed and agility. (there are exceptions but this is pretty much the standard).

Closed Thread