HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Visor Debate '04

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 05:00 PM
King of Kelvington

vCash: 500
Visor Debate '04

Should visors be mandatory in the new CBA? A grand-father clause for currennt NHL'ers just like helmets.

If helmets were implemented to ensure safety of players, why not visors?

If players wear them thier whole careers up to turning pro, then why take it off?

Old
01-05-2004, 12:52 AM
phil76

i think the visor factor
should be the player who decide to wear it or not

alot of player hate the visor cause the visibility is poor
compare without one

but alot of player are wearing it cause they got use to it and because they want to avoid some facial injury

if a player decide to not wear it. he as to deal with the consequence
of an injury and maybe is hockey career

once again the player should always have the last word on the visor factor

Old
01-05-2004, 01:47 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76
compare without one
This is such a weak excuse. I don't care what the players say...the top notch visors these days have no effect on a player's vision. Trust me...I wear one (Itech HX-50...same thing CHL players wear).

Old
01-05-2004, 03:23 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

If a player decides not to wear a visor, if he should get an eye injury (let's say a career ending one), should he qualify for compensation/insurance?

Old
01-05-2004, 03:26 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
If a player decides not to wear a visor, if he should get an eye injury (let's say a career ending one), should he qualify for compensation/insurance?
As long as there are no rules saying visors are a necessity, then yes he should. It would be the league's responsibility for not making him wear one.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Leaf_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
This is such a weak excuse. I don't care what the players say...the top notch visors these days have no effect on a player's vision. Trust me...I wear one (Itech HX-50...same thing CHL players wear).
I find it affects my visibility.... the line of where the visor cuts off mostly...

Old
01-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

The thing that gets me is that most (all?) North American Junior and Minor Leagues and Colleges require a visor or cage, and have for a couple of years now, so anybody in their early twenties should have been playing with a visor for a long time. I understand the reasoning behind why current players would not want to use a visor if they don't now. I wear a visor and I've gotten used to it over the years because I wore it as I was learning to play, but I wouldn't want to wear a full face cage. If I had been wearing a full face cage while I was learning to play, I'm sure I wouldn't mind it one bit now.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:35 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
I find it affects my visibility.... the line of where the visor cuts off mostly...
The only time I could tell I was wearing it was when I first got it....it was heavy. After I got used to the weight, it was like I was wearing nothing at all.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76
i think the visor factor
should be the player who decide to wear it or not

compare without one

but alot of player are wearing it cause they got use to it and because they want to avoid some facial injury
Everybody grows up with a full face shield on, then a visor. If the visibility is that much of a problem, they should be accustomed to it by the time they hit the NHL. It's not as though they've never had something protecting their eyes anymore.

Also, players may realize it's the smart thing to do, but because of the whole "tough guys don't wear visors" attitude in the NHL, it won't happen naturally.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:33 AM
DarioinDenver

It should be mandatory in the new CBA. Do these visors effect Jagr, Gaborik, Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk's etc.... vision? I don't think so.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:34 AM

No different than the helmet rule. Grandfather it in.

The league should try to limit injuries where possible, and there have been a number of injuries due to a lack of protection. It might cut down on the double minors for bleeding, although I can't say for sure because I never paid that close of attention to players with shields versus not.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Fla.Flyer.Fan

Quote:
No different than the helmet rule. Grandfather it in.
That obviously the way to go. You have to protect the eyes -- or risk ending a players career.
One question. If every player had a visor, including enforcers, what would fights be like? Anyone ever see two guys with visors go at it?

Old
01-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Canadian Chris

ya...the helmets come off...it's pretty easy to knock a helmet off, or pull one off....OR, if you've got 2 tough guys that are on the ice to fight, they'll likely just TAKE the helmet off altogether.

Fights between players with visors on, are no different than fights with players without them. I've been involved with both, and your hand is sore regardless after the fight.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Leaf_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
ya...the helmets come off...it's pretty easy to knock a helmet off, or pull one off....OR, if you've got 2 tough guys that are on the ice to fight, they'll likely just TAKE the helmet off altogether.

Fights between players with visors on, are no different than fights with players without them. I've been involved with both, and your hand is sore regardless after the fight.

Yep, this mostly happens at the junior level.... they are required to where visors, and quite frequently get into fights... Sometimes they take the helmets off, and I have seen kids punching with the visor on (And taging the face sheild numerous times) Ouch..

Old
01-06-2004, 03:15 PM
MentalPowerHouse

Are visors even all that affective? High sticks are usually moving up, and under the visor.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:41 PM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
Are visors even all that affective? High sticks are usually moving up, and under the visor.
This is the feeling I have too and probably why I'll stick with a full cage. But with these guys a half sheild is better than nothing, and besides some of the newer ones on the market are contoured for better coverage and optics and some NHL'ers are starting to wear some humongus sheilds. Shy.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:54 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
Players wear visors farther away from their face because otherwise it fogs up really fast, obscuring vision. This is when a stick can come up underneath the visor really easily. However, guys like Bryan Berard wear a visor quite close to their face(in Berard's case, it's almost a part of his face!) and it can fog up once you get going on the ice.

The argument against visors is that more sticks will go up because players know there is a visor there protecting the face. This is kind of weak in my opinion, but it's probably more of a coverup than anything else.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Players wear visors farther away from their face because otherwise it fogs up really fast, obscuring vision. This is when a stick can come up underneath the visor really easily. However, guys like Bryan Berard wear a visor quite close to their face(in Berard's case, it's almost a part of his face!) and it can fog up once you get going on the ice.

The argument against visors is that more sticks will go up because players know there is a visor there protecting the face. This is kind of weak in my opinion, but it's probably more of a coverup than anything else.
The only time my visor fogs up on me, is when I'm sitting on the bench for an extended period of time. Other than that, if I'm skating, it will NEVER fog up. There is enough airflow coming through, and it just doesn't fog up.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
HockeyMan9

Another problem with a half shield is that with the stick moving up, it is possible for the stick to get caught inside the visor and directed back into the eye.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:59 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMan9
Another problem with a half shield is that with the stick moving up, it is possible for the stick to get caught inside the visor and directed back into the eye.
I think we'll all agree that visors arn't 100%...but is anything?

IMO its stupid not to grandfather it in...players comming in through the junior leagues will be adjusted and it'll be safer than without, no doubt.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:59 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
The only time my visor fogs up on me, is when I'm sitting on the bench for an extended period of time. Other than that, if I'm skating, it will NEVER fog up. There is enough airflow coming through, and it just doesn't fog up.
And not to mention that any NHL quality visor is coated with anti-fog protection.

I can hold my visor in my hands and breath on it all I want and it won't fog up.

And on the fighting issue....Hockey Canada has a rule that gives players a Gross Misconduct for taking their helmets off to fight, which means that in Jr.A and below, players have to fight with their helmets and visors on, or else they will be sitting at least 2-3 supplemental games.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:10 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
And not to mention that any NHL quality visor is coated with anti-fog protection.

I can hold my visor in my hands and breath on it all I want and it won't fog up.

And on the fighting issue....Hockey Canada has a rule that gives players a Gross Misconduct for taking their helmets off to fight, which means that in Jr.A and below, players have to fight with their helmets and visors on, or else they will be sitting at least 2-3 supplemental games.
Anyone heard of any other arguments that haven't been dispelled in this thread? Because as of right now, the only one I know of is player choice, but they grandfathered helmets. Is there a difference?

Old
01-06-2004, 09:14 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
It should be mandatory in the new CBA. Do these visors effect Jagr, Gaborik, Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk's etc.... vision? I don't think so.
Hell, what isn't affecting Gaborik's play these days?

Old
01-06-2004, 10:36 PM
c-carp

I think it should be up to the player. No it shouldnt be grandfathered in like helmets although it probably will because they are mandatory in the ECHL now arent they.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:37 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

What is your feeling on that, I think it is OK if you take them off to fight because those visors will lead to more hand injuries wont they.

Closed Thread