HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Runners 5 Wolves 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 05:27 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Runners 5 Wolves 4

My first game in a month was an interesting one.

The Wolves had a 2-0 1st period lead, the Runners scored 5 straight goals, and the Wolves made it close with 2 in the last half of the 1st.

Wolves:

Kari Lehtonen started in goal, and made some really big saves, but was victim of a few tip ins and screens. He was pulled after 4 goals in less than 2 periods (the 4th goal his defenceman tried to clear a rebound behind the net and scored).

Brian Swanson had an assist on the opening goal, but I didn't see much more out of him.

Runners:

Salmo - Was the games 1st star with a goal and an assist. He is becoming a fan favorite in T.O. as I saw a few signs dedicated to him. I'm suprised no defenceman has caught on to him yet, as he consistantly blows past defenders on the outside and usually gets a good shot away. He reminds me of Marchant in that he can create so much, but he just has a tough time finishing.

Winchester - He played a lot more physically than I have ever seen him, using his strength to cause problems on the forecheck. I was really suprised by him, as usually he is invisible.

Rita - Very good allround game. Played very well on the PK, got an assist (should have had 2, but wasn't awarded the 2nd one), and nearly broke loose on several plays, but the passes were barely broken up before they got to him. He received a lot of attention in the offensive zone, but still created a lot.

Sarno and Henrich were both scratches. There was talk on here that Sarno was a healthy scratch for the 2 games before this, but I don't understand how... he had 7 points in his 4 games before that.

Ulanov - Sorry guys, not ready yet. He got burned on a couple of pinches. He is getting close. He played very physically (almost started a brawl at the end of the game), but he isn't ready for NHL duty yet.

Wyowitka - WOW. This is the first time I have seen him play live, and damn. I couldn't find anything wrong with his game at all. He played well in his own end, moved and shot the puck well on the power play...

Bergeron - Only one brutal giveaway... he was doing so well up until that point too. Oh well. Got his point shots on net and played in every situation. Looked pretty good out there too.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Tanko

I saw the last two runners games on TV and was impressed with Woywitka also.He looks pretty close to ready.2 games ago I thought Winchester looked ok I posted it I believe than last night he was invisible .Glad to hear he was good tonite.Thanks for the report.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Lowetide

Thanks for this, dawgbone, it's excellent.

With regard to Winchester, do you think it's a matter of him getting used to the speed of the pro game? I saw him early this season, and he looked awful, it was disappointing after reading about him for so long.

The last 2 games though, he seems to have caught up to things and is using his body.

btw, on one of the broadcasts this week that I saw, they did refer to Sarno being a healthy scratch in a game, and the fact that he was pretty upset about it.

Does seem strange if he's getting points, though.

One final question: if they call up a forward, do you think it will be Salmelainen or Rita based on play?

Apparently John Short mentioned the other day that Rita was an imminent callup, but that may have changed since Jason Smith got hurt that very night.

Thanks in advance.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:43 PM
momentai

If Sarno is sitting again... I would imagine Joe Cullen is the center between Wright and Salmalainen again? And Chad Hinz the second line center?

Our center depth down there isn't all that hot at the moment. It'll be better once Mike Bishai and Peter Sarno gets back on track. Not sure why he's sitting though.

Is Jamie Wright starting to turn it around? He's been struggling pretty bad so I hear lately.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
If Sarno is sitting again... I would imagine Joe Cullen is the center between Wright and Salmalainen again? And Chad Hinz the second line center?

Our center depth down there isn't all that hot at the moment. It'll be better once Mike Bishai and Peter Sarno gets back on track. Not sure why he's sitting though.

Is Jamie Wright starting to turn it around? He's been struggling pretty bad so I hear lately.
Yeah, Cullen was between Wright and Salmo, and Rita-Hinz-DiCasmirro (I beleive, I only really noticed him on the PK) was the second line.

Like I said, I have no clue why Sarno was sitting... they never did a pre-game announcement about why so and so was sitting (either injury or healthy scratch). Allen and Rocky Thompson were both out of the lineup as well...

As for Wright, I really don't know, I've watched 1 or 2 runner games on T.V., but I haven't seen a game live since before the Comrie trade. He looked good tonight, if that is any consolation. He played on the PP, PK, and even strength, had 2 assists (I beleive), and was once again very good in his own end.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:57 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Thanks for this, dawgbone, it's excellent.

With regard to Winchester, do you think it's a matter of him getting used to the speed of the pro game? I saw him early this season, and he looked awful, it was disappointing after reading about him for so long.

The last 2 games though, he seems to have caught up to things and is using his body.
I noticed that too. I really tried watching him early on, but it was so darn hard because he never did anything. He is hitting a lot more, and even though he isn't scoring, it certainly looks like he is contributing much more.

Quote:
btw, on one of the broadcasts this week that I saw, they did refer to Sarno being a healthy scratch in a game, and the fact that he was pretty upset about it.

Does seem strange if he's getting points, though.
I have no clue, which is why I am baffled by it, and brought it up.

Quote:
One final question: if they call up a forward, do you think it will be Salmelainen or Rita based on play?
Salmo is awesome, but he just doesn't have the finish at this point in his career. Rita was playing very well before my little hiatus, and played well tonight, so I think he should get it. Plus, alot of what Salmo does is simply blow past guys, and that is harder to do in the NHL than it is in the AHL.

Quote:
Apparently John Short mentioned the other day that Rita was an imminent callup, but that may have changed since Jason Smith got hurt that very night.

Thanks in advance.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Winchester plays great one game and is invisible the next...looks like he's a true Oiler, lol. In all seriousness, I don't think he has the complete game that he'd need to be a top end power forward in this league. Rita and Salmo have looked great from the minimal amounts Ive seen of them. I think that if Rita played for Detroit, he'd have 30 points this year already. Woywitka has looked sharp, He doesnt seem to have any deficiencies in his game, and I think he can turn out to be a top-2 guy if givin the oppertunity.

Ulanov and MAB being called up blows my mind, neither of them have been all that sharp, Ulanov has an excuse, and is playing alright, but IMO, Lynch, Luoma, Allen and Woywitka should get a fair chance first.

I said this a few days ago, but why does T.O play a different style than The Oilers? I dont see too many AHL teams play, but shouldnt their baby clubs play at the very least, similar, to the big club?

Mowzie- "Go ahead, touch it". (Quoted from an old man who noticed his grandson was fascinated by a touch lamp.)

Old
01-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Allen and Rocky Thompson were both out of the lineup as well...

Bobby Allen broke his jaw last week, so he may not play for a while.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:26 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Bobby Allen broke his jaw last week, so he may not play for a while.
Cool thanks.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:15 AM
IceDragoon

Thanx for the Rrs read db.

Closed Thread