HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Outdoor Gear Drying & Storage

Old
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Asharx

vCash: 500
Outdoor Gear Drying & Storage

Hello,

Ok, I have a little dilema. My men's league is starting up in Sept and I have now moved in with my girlfriend and I need to figure out where I can store my hockey gear. Can't store it inside so I am looking at ways to store it outside on our balcony.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...f1763d1c60332b

This is one of the things I am looking at as a possibility. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a tree to hang everything up on, which worked fine when I was on my own. So possibly some sort of covering for this, but it would eat up alot of space.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1187205131003

Asharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 11:08 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
Outdoors isn't a good idea unless you get it sealed. Any moisture on the stuff is gonna cause rust, mildew, etc. I'm really clueless except to air it all out and shove it in the car.

Well actually, I just saw an ad for a bag that has a built in tree. You take out the frame/tree and hang stuff up, once it's dry you shove it all back into the bag. Idk if that might be useful. I need to find that ad again....

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 07:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

with modern technology and inventions, why is drying and de-stinking hockey equipment still such a big problem???

Jeesh....

I have been leaving my stuff outside on the deck... I just went and brought my shinpads and gloves in this morning and when I got downstairs, I noticed a HUGE daddy-long leg spider ... Flipped it off my shinpad and then smashed it with the shinpad....

Freaked me out...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
ShowmeHawks

How do those, I think they're Itech bags, that have a motor to cycle air into them work? Are they effective?

I'm about to run into the same problem as the original poster, unfortunately.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeHawks View Post
How do those, I think they're Itech bags, that have a motor to cycle air into them work? Are they effective?

I'm about to run into the same problem as the original poster, unfortunately.
I've heard they don't work well.

Two of the things that are supposed to kill bacteria which causes the smell are ammonia and heat. I've heard that leaving your stuff out on a really sunny day does wonders for the smell. And a girl I played with left her stuff out in the sun, it rained, actually washed away mold stains.

What worked for my really smelly gloves was spraying some Nature's Miracle ammonia spray on the palms and leaving them out in the sun for a couple hours. The smell is almost gone.

I'd love to find one of those equipment racks and leave my stuff on my deck for a few hours. Can't find any in the US although I have a parts list to build one from PVC pipe. I would imagine that it's a dry, sunny day, it'll work really well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 12:05 PM
ShowmeHawks

I'm bummed to hear that those bags don't work. I live in Chicago and during the winter, my equipment will most likely freeze instead of dry.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Asharx

That is my other problem too, I am in Ottawa, Ontario. So once the winter hits it will be pretty cold.

Asharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
number21

i have heard mixed reviews on the shockdoctor set up too. But it seems like it would be worth a shot instead of letting it fester in a box outdoors in the heat and freeze in the winter. Both will really shorten the life of your equipment!

You could search ebay for a cheaper SD blower and just cut a hole in a big rubbermade tub, instead of buying the SD bag too.

Does your stuff smell that bad? I only play 1-3 times a week, so my stuff doesn't get too bad. I always have it hanging withing a couple hours after playing.

Can you rent a locker to leave your pads at the rink?

I am also moving in with my gf in a month. My roommate and I have never noticed our gear stinking up the place. I'll have to see what she says. I may be looking for a solution for this soon too!

number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would suggest taking your gear to a rink that does ozone cleaning and see how well that goes. It should get rid of most of the smell. After that, hang up your gear right after you get home and spray a little Febreeze antimicrobial on it. That should at least mask the smell while it dries.

That's what I've done and all my stuff is in great shape except for my gloves, which I wrote about earlier. Nothing smells, at least enough to worry about from across the room.

I do have a laundry room in my basement where I can hang the stuff though...I had it in my office before I moved and it wasn't an issue there either.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote