HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Atlantic Division soon-to-be UFA's/RFA's

Old
08-14-2007, 03:38 PM
flyguy1234*

vCash: 500
Atlantic Division soon-to-be UFA's/RFA's

I found this webiste www.nhlnumbers.com that shows when everyone becomes RFA's/UFA's, so I decided to take a look at the Atlantic. Since the FLyers have their own future RFA issues this coming off-season, (Carter, Richards, Coburn, Jones, Picard) while Lupul and Upshall are set to be RFA's the season after this.

Other than that, the Flyers just need to think about BIron/Nitty being UFA's in two years along with Jason Smith, Kukkonen and Knuble.

It looks like Lupul and Upshall will be signed easily (there is only 22 million committed the year that they become RFA's). As of now, we would have 10 million to spend on Coburn, Carter, Richards, Umberger and Picard--we might just forget about Jones). That seems OK because none of them will want 2 million a season (unless Richards and Carter make a huge leap this year).

So here's how the other teams in our division break down (only with important players):

PENGUINS:

Next off-season:

Gary ROberts, Mark Recchi, Ryan Malone, Georges Laraque, Mark Eaton and Mike Weaver and Jarkko Ruutu are all UFA's and Oprik is a RFA

Off-season after:

Petr Sykora, Sydor and Scuderi are UFA's while Malkin, Staal, Armstrong, Christensen and Talbot are RFA's.

Bottomline: There are 5 RFA's after 08/09, 3 of which are extremely important. Sykora is also gone at the end of that season. Recchi and Roberts might retire after this year and Laraque can walk. They'll probably set their sights on re-signing Malone at the end of the season. Potentially losing Sydor and Sykora to unresitricted free agency in two years may be an issue, but they can probably work it out.

NEW YORK RANGERS:

Next off-season:

UFA's: Brendan Shanahan, Martin Straka, Sean Avery, Paul Mara, Darius Kasparitis, Marek Malik, Michal Rozsival, Jason Strudwick, Andrew Hutchinson.

RFA's: Marcel Hossa, Henrik Lundqvist

Off-season after next:

UFA's: Jaromir Jagr, Blair Betts, Colton Orr

RFA's: Petr Prucha, Ryan Hollweg, Fedor Tyutin

Bottomline: Essentially their ENTIRE lineup is set to changge iin the next two years. 9 of their current 10 D-men are set to be RFA/UFA's in the next 2 years. 9 of their 13 forwards are set to be RFA/UFA's in the next 2 years.

Shanahan may retire after this year. No idea what will happen with Jagr after next season. Straka and Avery are both UFA's next season so they should try to at least sign ONE. Six of their top 8 defensemen will be UFA's after this season, so they will need dramatic help soon. THat and they'll probably need to pay Lundy more money that same season.....

They're also over the cap limit as it is (by 1.6 million).......I smell trouble (especially if Gomez/Drury don't pan out).....

NEW JERSEY DEVILS:

Next off-season:

UFA's: Jay Pandolfo, Arron Asham, Karel Rachunek, Richard Matvichuk

RFA's: None

Off-season after next:

UFA's: Brian Gionta, John Madden, Sergei Brylin, Michael Rupp, Oduya, Weekes

RFA's Andy Greene, Zajac

Bottomline: Their fine this coming off-season (they can probably resing Pandolfo and Asham), but the season after they stand to lose Brian Gionta, John Madden, Sergie Brylin, and Oduya to unrestricted free agency. THAT may prove to be a huge problem......

NEW YORK ISLANDERS:

Next off-season

UFA's: Miro Satan, Ruslan Fedotenko, Mike Comrie, Trent Hunter, Chris Simon, Richard Park, Freddy Meyer.

RFA's: Sean Bergenheim

Off-season after:

UFA's: Bill Guerin, Mike Sillinger, Shawn Bates, Brendan Witt, MA Bergeron

Season of 20/21:

UFA's: Rick Dipietro (just kidding)

This may not be bad for this team.....if they make the right moves next off-season they can re-organize and re-vitalize the team. Of course if this off-season was any sign of things to come I wouldn't count on it.

So after examining all of these it looks to me like the Rangers will have the biggest difficulty. Their entire team (save 4-5 players) will be FA's either this year or next year. If Gomez doesn't work out this team is up ***** creek......

Devils will need to watch out that Gionta doesn't get away from them. They need to consider a new center somewhere along the line.

Penguins have to becareful about Malkin, Staal and Fleury being RFA's the same year. That could end in disaster. No doubt other teams will sign them to contracts and the Pen's will have to over-spend on at least two of them.

And the Isles will be able to change their roster around at the end of the year if Comrie and Co. don't work out.

Flyers have a lot of young players RFA's next year. If they can free up some cap space they should be able to sign all of them (perhaps one--ahem Jones/Umberger--will not be signed). Jason Smith, Biron, Nitty and Knuble won't want more than what they're getting, so consider them safe.

flyguy1234* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
TheKingPin

wow well done i like the fact that Rags have a big problem commig up.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 03:51 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
wow well done i like the fact that Rags have a big problem commig up.
I don't "like" that the Rags have a huge problem in 2 years, I LOVE IT!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 04:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Kasparitius won't be on the team. He'll be off their books.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy1234
Gary ROberts, Mark Recchi, Ryan Malone, Georges Laraque, Mark Eaton and Mike Weaver and Jarkko Ruutu are all UFA's and Oprik is a RFA
Orpik is actually a UFA.

I can see trouble with the Rangers coming. This next offseason, a Rangers fan told me Tyutin and Lundqvist will get big money from long-term deals, and the Rangers will fill out the D with upcoming guys like Sanguinetti, Girardi, and Staal to stay under the cap. The problem then occurs when these 3 come off rookie contracts with $25 million tied up with Drury, Gomez, Tyutin, and Lundqvist. Can you say offer sheet?

Montoya this offseason is another guy where you can see an offer sheet coming.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I am not too impressed by the Rags defense as it is, I mean it's functional, but not spectacular. I don't know if they'll have much difficulty re-signing them.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I am not too impressed by the Rags defense as it is, I mean it's functional, but not spectacular. I don't know if they'll have much difficulty re-signing them.
one guy, Mara is going to get a lot. he has the potential to be a big producer as one of thier only dmen that can score. he is an UFA next year.

Old
08-14-2007, 05:13 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
Orpik is actually a UFA.

I can see trouble with the Rangers coming. This next offseason, a Rangers fan told me Tyutin and Lundqvist will get big money from long-term deals, and the Rangers will fill out the D with upcoming guys like Sanguinetti, Girardi, and Staal to stay under the cap. The problem then occurs when these 3 come off rookie contracts with $25 million tied up with Drury, Gomez, Tyutin, and Lundqvist. Can you say offer sheet?

Montoya this offseason is another guy where you can see an offer sheet coming.
yea king henrik is going to get paid like one. they need to trade montoya for some young cheap players or you are right he would be perfect for an offer sheet

Old
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
one guy, Mara is going to get a lot. he has the potential to be a big producer as one of thier only dmen that can score. he is an UFA next year.
Mara sucks. Rosival is the one who is going to be sought after

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
yea king henrik is going to get paid like one. they need to trade montoya for some young cheap players or you are right he would be perfect for an offer sheet
If I were the Rangers, I'd look to trade Montoya this season, maybe at the trade deadline for a playoff push or prospects. With Lundqvist, they don't seem to need him.

Old
08-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy1234 View Post
NEW JERSEY DEVILS:

Bottomline: Their fine this coming off-season (they can probably resing Pandolfo and Asham), but the season after they stand to lose Brian Gionta, John Madden, Sergie Brylin, and Oduya to unrestricted free agency. THAT may prove to be a huge problem......
I love Brylin and all, but he's a 3rd liner so he won't be demanding too much money and wouldn't be entirely irreplaceable (off the top of my head, I thought Brylin was UFA after '08). Oduya is a 3rd pair caliber D, so again not a core guy if he were to leave.

Madden will be 36 at the end of the contract. So either he won't be in a position to demand a big deal or might be in the waning years of his effectiveness.

Gionta however should still be in his prime. At this point, 2009 seems like an eternity away.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Fleury is an RFA at season's end. And I pretty sure Orpik is an RFA at the end of this season, not a UFA.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatewaderedden View Post
Fleury is an RFA at season's end. And I pretty sure Orpik is an RFA at the end of this season, not a UFA.
Irish Blues' site has him listed as a UFA, and I trust that 100000000% more than nhlnumbers.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
flyguy1234*

Yea the Rags are gonna have huge problems. This is the order which I would rank the teams in our division (from least trouble to most trouble)

1.) Devils. As mentioned by the NJ fan, they don't stand to lose anything major but Gionta. Assuming they have enough cash, they should be able to sign him easily. They should be untouched for this year and next year.

2.) Flyers. There's not much room to change the lineup in the coming off-seasons, but I doubt they'll need to drastically change it. 10 million + should certainly be enough to sign Carter, Richards, Umberger, Picard and Coburn (none of which should want 2 million and Picard/Coburn will probably demand closer to 1 million). The year after should be easy--Lupul/Upshall won't demand huge contracts either.

3.) Penguins: They'll keep their core RFA young players, but the issue is that it will cost them more than it should due to RFA signings. Add the fact that they will have to practically pour money out for Malkin, Fleury and Staal.

4.) Isles: Basically everyone major will be UFA's at the end of this season (with Guerin the next year--and Dipietro in 2020 which sounds all the more ridiculous when you think about the date his contract expires.....). THat could be good and it could be bad. On one hand it gives them a lot of room to change and on the other they might have difficulty keeping some of the players they want to keep. I wasn't thrilled about the off-season acquisitions and what happened this year (losing Smyth, Blake, etc.) can/will happen at the end of this year (except with not as quality players).

5.) Rags: Obviously they lose their entire defense at the end of the season and THEN have to cope with losing Jagr, Straka, Avery, and essentially all of their forwards (except Gomez and Drury) within the next two years. Pair that with the necessary but expensive re-signing of Lundqvist and Tyutin and this team is in for a wild time. It seems like Sather designed the to team to have a quick fix so to speak....pull them out of the basement for five years only to get tangled in their own salary mess. Only time will tell.

Old
08-14-2007, 09:44 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
2.) Flyers. There's not much room to change the lineup in the coming off-seasons, but I doubt they'll need to drastically change it. 10 million + should certainly be enough to sign Carter, Richards, Umberger, Picard and Coburn (none of which should want 2 million and Picard/Coburn will probably demand closer to 1 million). The year after should be easy--Lupul/Upshall won't demand huge contracts either.
Things are going to have to go fairly ****** for these players next year in order for them not to make at least 2 million each

Old
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Yea the Rags are gonna have huge problems. This is the order which I would rank the teams in our division (from least trouble to most trouble)

1.) Devils. As mentioned by the NJ fan, they don't stand to lose anything major but Gionta. Assuming they have enough cash, they should be able to sign him easily. They should be untouched for this year and next year.

3.) Penguins: They'll keep their core RFA young players, but the issue is that it will cost them more than it should due to RFA signings. Add the fact that they will have to practically pour money out for Malkin, Fleury and Staal.

4.) Isles: Basically everyone major will be UFA's at the end of this season (with Guerin the next year--and Dipietro in 2020 which sounds all the more ridiculous when you think about the date his contract expires.....). THat could be good and it could be bad. On one hand it gives them a lot of room to change and on the other they might have difficulty keeping some of the players they want to keep. I wasn't thrilled about the off-season acquisitions and what happened this year (losing Smyth, Blake, etc.) can/will happen at the end of this year (except with not as quality players).

5.) Rags: Obviously they lose their entire defense at the end of the season and THEN have to cope with losing Jagr, Straka, Avery, and essentially all of their forwards (except Gomez and Drury) within the next two years. Pair that with the necessary but expensive re-signing of Lundqvist and Tyutin and this team is in for a wild time. It seems like Sather designed the to team to have a quick fix so to speak....pull them out of the basement for five years only to get tangled in their own salary mess. Only time will tell.
I like your assessment. I think the Penguins will be an interesting case. I don't think they will have difficulty signing their core players, it will be the players surrounding them who might be difficult. I think at worse, they will end up being another Tampa bay, but you'd think anyone would line up to play with the likes of Crosby, no matter the paycheck. They'll certainly be fun to watch, at least when they are not kicking our butts.

Old
08-14-2007, 10:02 PM
flyguy1234*

Jeff Carter: 2.3 million
Mike Richards: 2.1 million
R.J. Umberger: 1.2 million OR he walks
Braydon Coburn: 1 million
Jones walks and frees up .5 million

That's the maximum they'll want. You think Coburn will want 2 million bucks? Give me a break.

Also to the last poster--I think some will not want to play with Crosby because of his arrogance (or reported arrogance). Even though Jagr's a great player, I'm sure he wouldn't be a reason someone would go to the Rangers.....especially since he's moody. Yeah, I agree that the Pen's won't have issues locking up those core players but they WILL have to spend a lot of money on them (which will cut into the money left to surround them with.....)

Old
08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
flyguy1234*

You know what, I think it's likely that Umberger will walk because, I didn't know this, but he's already making 1.2 million. So, we use that 1.2 million to sign Carter to a contract that's just above 2 million. Then we let Jones walk and use up a lil free space and get Richards for a lil over 2 million too. I also wasn't aware that Coburn was getting .942 this year......I just checked. With that in mind, it might be possible that he will want 1.2 million (not much more). That will be easy to supply if we trade Gauthier or someone like him for a draft pick. If we shed his 2.1 million and just add that on to Carter/Richard's current contract bang, they're signed. Jason Smith and his 2 million cap hit is also off at the end of next season, so if he doesn't work out, that's all the D-men signed. It will be fascinating to watch next season......hopefully we can get Carter, Richards and Coburn.

Right now, I'd say Richards, Picard and Carter will be signed, but at the expense of Coburn/Umberger. Ruzicka will also be open for RFA and he might want maybe 1 million (.5 extra). Without trading Gauthier we will lose some valuable players. If he leaves, it's likely that we'll sign all RFA's (except that useless Jones)......

Old
08-14-2007, 10:28 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Jeff Carter: 2.3 million
Mike Richards: 2.1 million
R.J. Umberger: 1.2 million OR he walks
Braydon Coburn: 1 million
Jones walks and frees up .5 million

That's the maximum they'll want. You think Coburn will want 2 million bucks? Give me a break.

Also to the last poster--I think some will not want to play with Crosby because of his arrogance (or reported arrogance). Even though Jagr's a great player, I'm sure he wouldn't be a reason someone would go to the Rangers.....especially since he's moody. Yeah, I agree that the Pen's won't have issues locking up those core players but they WILL have to spend a lot of money on them (which will cut into the money left to surround them with.....)
Parise just signed a 3.124 contract and he scored 62 points. If Jeff Carter doesn't approach 60 points it will likely be a disappointing season... hell if he was healthy last year he would have had 50. A 10 point improvement and a healthy season, which is a modest and quite attainable improvement puts him in Parise territory.

I wasn't talking about Coburn or Picard, although if either break 30 points, which isn't that far out of question , (one or the other) could make around 2 million. I was more talking about Carter, Richards, and to an extent Umberger. Richards will never make a huge payday, but if he gets around 50 pts. (a healthy season + 5 pt. improvement) like he is capable of, he will quite easily make 2 million dollars.

They won't be impossible to sign, but its going to be tighter than a lot of people around here think, and cap space will definitely need to be cleared if all of these players stick around. It won't be entirely hard to do, but not as simple as your making it sound.

Old
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Right now, I'd say Richards, Picard and Carter will be signed, but at the expense of Coburn/Umberger. Ruzicka will also be open for RFA and he might want maybe 1 million (.5 extra). Without trading Gauthier we will lose some valuable players. If he leaves, it's likely that we'll sign all RFA's (except that useless Jones)......
At the expense of Coburn? You think after digging this gem with all of those moves last season, Holmgren is going to let him walk or trade him? No ****ing way that is happening.

Old
08-14-2007, 10:34 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
True, but they have a great defensive system and a great goaltender.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Norm MacDonald

I don't think the Rangers will be in too much trouble, unfortunately. Losing Malik, Shanahan, and Mara will give them enough cap space to sign Henrik, Jagr, Rosival and Straka with some to spare.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
True, but they have a great defensive system and a great goaltender.
I think that is what makes their defensemen more expendable. Should they not be able to resign some of them, they can replace them not too expensively since they have a good system. They don't need spectacular defensmen to make their team work.

Old
08-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Alcoolique*

Ahh..Feels good to see that our only problem in 2years will be Gionta..Again, we'll have enough Cap space to re-sign him..

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2007, 12:16 AM
flyguy1234*

kz, I didn't say Coburn would be traded, but if there is NO salary space lifted he will walk in order to sign Carter/Richards. Carter, Richards and Coburn are the important figures here. Umberger has unfortunately become trade bait and Picard is good but if push comes to shove, he can walk. Now, Jones is totally useless so add .5 million to the cap for what it's worth. Also the cap should jump maybe by say.....2-3 million next season....? Enough to sign Carter or Richards. I think Carter and Richards will end up being signed, but it won't be easy.......hefty price for both of them particularly, as you said, Carter.....