HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

nigel dawes

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
nigel dawes

hey guys just woundering what you would want from him off the Panther I'm actually trying to get the Cats to trade for the WJC line of Dawes-Richards and we already have Stewart.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaf
hey guys just woundering what you would want from him off the Panther I'm actually trying to get the Cats to trade for the WJC line of Dawes-Richards and we already have Stewart.

Got any grossly overpaid, but highly underacheiving disgruntled veterans you're looking to dump?

If you wait a little bit, that usually seems to be the return the Rangers expect for talented prospects..

Old
01-05-2004, 07:06 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Got any grossly overpaid, but highly underacheiving disgruntled veterans you're looking to dump?

If you wait a little bit, that usually seems to be the return the Rangers expect for talented prospects..
lol would you guys be interested in Lilija or Trnka?

Old
01-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Davisian

Quote:
lol would you guys be interested in Lilija or Trnka?
I don't know much about them, but in all seriousness, I would prefer the Rangers finally hang on to a group of prospects and let them grow up together..

Not calling him untouchable after only one very good wjc, but I'd prefer they let Dawes stick around for a while..

Old
01-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
He already has one goal against the US today on a perfect shot. He is a keeper if you ask me.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:34 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

We'll give you Dawes for the twice waived Valeri Bure.

Sounds exactly like what Sather would be willing to do.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:41 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
He already has one goal against the US today on a perfect shot. He is a keeper if you ask me.
Nothing like small, quick skaters, eh Pavs? :p

Old
01-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
We'll give you Dawes for the twice waived Valeri Bure.

Sounds exactly like what Sather would be willing to do.
Dawes for Bure? yeah I would and let me just add something Bure has been playing very very well since he has been 100%

Old
01-05-2004, 07:56 AM
Mark Pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Nothing like small, quick skaters, eh Pavs? :p

Got that right

FYI Make that two goals today

Old
01-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
Got that right

FYI Make that two goals today
lol I know I'm watching the game lol

Old
01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I watched the game and Dawes impressed me tremodously, he's listed as your 20th best prospect, that's gotta change this kid is gonna be a good one.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:44 AM
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I watched the game and Dawes impressed me tremodously, he's listed as your 20th best prospect, that's gotta change this kid is gonna be a good one.
that line really work hard. for a small guy he cycled well.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Jeff Shafer

really well, he needs bigger guys on his line if he's going to play well in the NHL like Stewart and Richards

Old
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Mark Pavelich

I just saw a Post Game interview with Dawes and he was fighting back tears. Sather better trade him now because a guy that actually cares will never fit in on this team.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:43 PM
NYR469

Quote:
bouwmeester

(and yes that is a joke)

Old
01-06-2004, 05:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
really well, he needs bigger guys on his line if he's going to play well in the NHL like Stewart and Richards

Richards is only 5'11, not exactly a giant out there.

The Dawes-Richards-Stewart line was the best line in the tournament in the games that I saw.

IMO it was the little guys (Richards & Dawes) that made the line go.

Dawes can certainly be an NHL player IMO, along the lines of a Brian Gionta.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Richards is only 5'11, not exactly a giant out there.

The Dawes-Richards-Stewart line was the best line in the tournament in the games that I saw.

IMO it was the little guys (Richards & Dawes) that made the line go.

Dawes can certainly be an NHL player IMO, along the lines of a Brian Gionta.
Hey John, speaking of talented prospects, I like what Clarke did at last years draft, unfortunately :p

Before last June I had Carter & Richards as being way underrated. I see Carter as being a Joe Nieuwendyk, but what about Richards? Who's a comparable player in today's NHL?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:01 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Hey John, speaking of talented prospects, I like what Clarke did at last years draft, unfortunately :p

Before last June I had Carter & Richards as being way underrated. I see Carter as being a Joe Nieuwendyk, but what about Richards? Who's a comparable player in today's NHL?
Clarke and company have done a great job in the draft, especially with first round picks, in the last 8 years or so.

The players that Richards gets compared to most of all seem to be Ricci and Brind'amour.

The players I've heard Carter compared to most are Modano & Sundin. I'm not saying he's going to be that good, but I think he'll play a style more similar to them. Carter is 6'3 200 lbs and can really fly. He appears to be more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, although that may be because of his linemates.

Richards is much more of a playmaker.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:23 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Clarke and company have done a great job in the draft, especially with first round picks, in the last 8 years or so.

The players that Richards gets compared to most of all seem to be Ricci and Brind'amour.

The players I've heard Carter compared to most are Modano & Sundin. I'm not saying he's going to be that good, but I think he'll play a style more similar to them. Carter is 6'3 200 lbs and can really fly. He appears to be more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, although that may be because of his linemates.

Richards is much more of a playmaker.
Wow, Carter & Richards in Philly, Parise in NJ, Ovechkin(probably) & Fleury in Pittsburgh - where the heck are our future stars???

John, one more question - do you like the look of Philly's defense? Do you think Clarke will trade for more muscle on the backline?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:31 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Wow, Carter & Richards in Philly, Parise in NJ, Ovechkin(probably) & Fleury in Pittsburgh - where the heck are our future stars???

John, one more question - do you like the look of Philly's defense? Do you think Clarke will trade for more muscle on the backline?

Hugh Jessiman Althought he was known to be a project going into the draft, the Rangers have to be questioning themselves some on that one.

The Flyers could use a defenseman with more muscle, but only if he can really play, and those guys (Foote Nordstrom etc) aren't available.

I'm not interested in a Marchment, Boughner type of player.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Hugh Jessiman Althought he was known to be a project going into the draft, the Rangers have to be questioning themselves some on that one.
I don't know why they would be at this point..

I wouldn't be anymore down on Jessiman than being too high on Dawes, or any other youngster who had a good WJC..

They're all still projects at this point, and you well know the WJC has been littered with players who had a great tourney's that went nowhere in the show..

And as far as defensemen for the Flyers.. Malakhov.. You know you want him.. He can play... some of the time..

Actually I was kidding, but the more I think about it, the more he might be a good fit for a stretch run for Philly.. He'd be in a much better situation and not have to do much. As he showed with the Devils, when the pressure is off him, he can contribute to a Stanley Cup winner..
He'd be a rental, he'd come cheap..

Malakhov and a 7th for Therien?

Old
01-06-2004, 07:16 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I don't know why they would be at this point..

I wouldn't be anymore down on Jessiman than being too high on Dawes, or any other youngster who had a good WJC..

They're all still projects at this point, and you well know the WJC has been littered with players who had a great tourney's that went nowhere in the show..
It's not that Jessiman played in the WJC and had a bad tournament, but that apparently he was never even considered for the US team.

From the sounds of it he is going to be a real boom/bust player. A team loaded with youth like the Senators an afford to draft players like that, but a team that lacks much young depth might be wiser to make the safer pick (Parise, Brown, Stuart, Stewart etc.)

Quote:
And as far as defensemen for the Flyers.. Malakhov.. You know you want him.. He can play... some of the time..

Actually I was kidding, but the more I think about it, the more he might be a good fit for a stretch run for Philly.. He'd be in a much better situation and not have to do much. As he showed with the Devils, when the pressure is off him, he can contribute to a Stanley Cup winner..
He'd be a rental, he'd come cheap..

Malakhov and a 7th for Therien?
If the Flyers are going to move for a defenseman it will be for one of two things IMO.

Either a big physical defenseman, which Malakhov is not.

or

A package to land a real premier defenseman (Gonchar).

Malakhov could be a decent rental to the right team, but I don't think it would be the Flyers.

FYI - Therien is also a UFA at seasons end.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:30 AM
Davisian

Quote:
It's not that Jessiman played in the WJC and had a bad tournament, but that apparently he was never even considered for the US team.

From the sounds of it he is going to be a real boom/bust player. A team loaded with youth like the Senators an afford to draft players like that, but a team that lacks much young depth might be wiser to make the safer pick (Parise, Brown, Stuart, Stewart etc.)
Going by the Rangers track record, I'd say he'll be a bust, but I really don't think "safer pick" really applies..
Dawes, Parise, Brown, Stuart, Stewart etc. are all on the same plain as Hugh as far as I'm concerned, and inclusion in wjc or not doesn't really change their status as projects..

My bottom line was that the Rangers needed to get a talented player in the first round.. I think they got it.. And if they picked any of the above, I would have thought they got it as well..

Quote:
FYI - Therien is also a UFA at seasons end.
Did not know that.. Meh, just trying to get rid of Vlad one way or another..

Old
01-06-2004, 07:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm not interested in a Marchment, Boughner type of player.
I do. Either of them would be an improvement over half the defensemen we currently field. At least these guys know enough to knock down opponents when they screen their goalie.

"I wouldn't be anymore down on Jessiman than being too high on Dawes, or any other youngster who had a good WJC.."

Exactly D. I cannot be down anymore on the Specimen for not making it as I can for Dawes for not only making it, but being one of the most valuable players there. Becuase if you are judging by the tournament, then Dawes is every bit the player that Parise is.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

From the sounds of it he is going to be a real boom/bust player. A team loaded with youth like the Senators an afford to draft players like that, but a team that lacks much young depth might be wiser to make the safer pick (Parise, Brown, Stuart, Stewart etc.).
Thats my thinking as well. Yeah, it's a crapshoot, like Davisian says, but at least Parise, Stewart, etc. had all been known to put up points, were on winning teams in their previous leagues. Hugh was just discovered last year, and because of his size he became a valuable prospect. He really has had no track record.

I still believe Jessiman will be an NHL'er based on size & skating, hopefully his head will not hold back his talent(Tom Poti :p ).

Closed Thread