HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

BERGERON & ULANOV called up

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
LOL. But maybe a better name for Oates is "Lazarus"?

lol. I was going to go with Methusolah but I don't know how to spell it and I'm too lazy to look it up. :p

Old
01-04-2004, 07:15 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
lol. I was going to go with Methusolah but I don't know how to spell it and I'm too lazy to look it up. :p
Also good.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell

Is it funny or sad that Ferguson would be ahead of Ulanov in the roster order?
Both.

Old
01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
OYLer

Home sick with the flu, I watched the entire game where Big Valley stoled a game for the RoadRunners against the Bulldogs. IMO the player who was hamstringed because he was playing with poorly committed players like Rita was Ulanov. I never noticed him being beaten to the puck or that his foot speed was slow at all. He made many excellent passes to players who slowed themselves down by triple checking to see if Igor would actually pass them the puck and as a result it look like Igor made a bad pass. Players turned the wrong way trying to be too fancy on breakouts. Ulanov just was forced to dink the puck out of his own end and did so without icing the puck.

Although Bergie was sent down it wasn't because he was the best choice to leave the roster. He was just the most financially suitable choice. Maybe I'm wrong here but he still has a 2 way contract which was the biggest factor for him going down to make room for other 2 way contracts. MarcA played poorly in the game I watched with Ulanov, Woywitka, Dan Smith, all looking better. Ulanov has played 10 games to condition in the AHL and is already a +5. He does all the little things well and when he makes the jump to the live ice he will get the job done. Fergie maybe saw the writing on the wall and came up tough and had a very solid outing tonight.

The Oilers' have to stop pinching pennies and stick players on the IR so (Jason Smith) they can completely heal and use some of our organizational depth. No one player on any team is that valueable to the team's success. Give a team a reason to win and they will excell. Look at the Oilers without Gretzky and Atlanta without Heatley. Hemsky needs a reason to listen and a stint in the minors might just do the trick. He either simplifies his game and gets his nose dirty proactively, shoots when he has the shot or down he goes for a refresher in what it takes to play in the NHL on a regular basis. The way Salmelainen was flying and back-checking he would be better to have in the line-up than Ales. Oh yeah! that pesty Contract thinggy again that the Detroits, Avs, Rags, Blues, Stars, etc. don't have to worry about.

Wirtz in Chicago has already prepared for the ole' no season next year by getting rid of all of those bloated contracts. Why do you think Philly only signed Mikey to a one year. By the time Clarke is through with Winters in the New Reality after six or so teams fold or move. With the glut of cheap young talent just waiting their chance in the AHL, Mikey will be signing for peanuts compared to the 11.2 million U$ he scalped Lowe for during his 28 month stay with the Oilers. According to Cal Nichols it cost the Oilers another million U$ just to insure that blunder of horrific magnitude against a Comrie injury. Man if I'd have been the GM, Comrie would have sat him on the IR and not allowed him to earn those Obscene Bonuses. Lowe's whole strategy of you sign Charcter 1st sure backfired big time. You can all say hindsight but Lowe was slow on the uptake, given the Carter trade flack.

I'm thinking of writing a straight forward piece on all of the move Lowe has made since he took over as GM. If the Oilers don't turn their current situation around, I'll write it and post it on every board I can find. But since being badly burned many times early on in his tenure, Kevin seems to have learned from those hard lessons. I don't want to Dopita it to death hear. So to fan such negativity would be counter productive at this point. IF our E-Towners don't make the Playoffs the gloves will be off. Nice to see how well Charron is doing in Montreal, Josh Green in Calgary, Alex Henry in Minny, if you all know what I mean.

To finishes on a positive side note, I thought Adam Oates looked like he was skating a lot better tonight. He chased Brad Stuart stride for stride from in front of the Hawks goal where Adam turned over the puck and helped break up a 3 on 2 almost at the Oilers net. Three or so games ago he would have been picking up the late trailer. He is close to getting there and hopefully his timing won't be too late.

Edit: The better half read this and accused me of being Obtuse again. Charron was I believe groomed by the Habs for years to become head coach when Claude Julien was inquired about and found to be available, Charron was immediately back-seated to assistant. Being Oilers' Property we got a 9th round draft pick, Gee I guess he was a viable option and I'm sure a much less costly one too boot!

Last edited by OYLer: 01-04-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Rooks Oilers

I'm a little shocked here! Why the call-ups? Is there a link to this?

Thanks

Rooks Oilers

Old
01-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

This call up conspiracy isnt as interesting as The Tupac Shakur conspiracy, but it does spark some intrigue. I guess we'll figure out in the next little while exactly what the deal is.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Seachd

I don't know what to think about this. If I had to guess, I would say it's not anything big, maybe just an injury or two. Because every time we think a trade is going to happen because the roster looks a little strange, it never ends up happening.

But I really have to wonder here. With all the d-men that have played for the Oilers so far this year, plus guys like Allen and Woywitka on the farm, why would they sign Ulanov (a spare part for the farm), and bring him up? Why add another contract when it doesn't look to be necessary?

It seems like a pretty strange situation. It could be a trade, or more likely, as some have mentioned, injuries, or just management trying to get a look at as many d-men as possible - but that still doesn't adequately explain Ulanov.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:42 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Another very interesting spot is center.

York
Moses (Oates)
Horcoff
Stoll

Reasoner coming back.

My belief in Horcoff's game borders on the ridiculous, but I don't think sending Stoll down helps in any way.

Would the best solution be to put Reasoner on the 2line and send Oates to the pressbox until he's in game shape?

Or do they deal Horcoff, a dman and the Flyers first rounder for someone who can help put the puck in the net?

Hmmm.
I think Horcoff will be moved to the wing.

Old
01-05-2004, 01:25 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
So far it looks like it's just a swapping of Lynch back down for Bergy back up. No mention yet about Ulanov on the Oiler's site. At 4 AM... Monday morning.

Old
01-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
So far it looks like it's just a swapping of Lynch back down for Bergy back up. No mention yet about Ulanov on the Oiler's site. At 4 AM... Monday morning.
This I don't get. I mean, why send MAB down in the first place. I saw a few RR games and I haven't seen anything that would suggest that he's made huge improvements. This is not to slam him because I didn't really believe to begin with he should have been sent down. To me, it just looks like mngt screweing with their minds. Call Lynch up, send him down after 2 games to bring up a player that was initially demoted? Makes no sense.

Old
01-05-2004, 02:52 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
This I don't get. I mean, why send MAB down in the first place. I saw a few RR games and I haven't seen anything that would suggest that he's made huge improvements. This is not to slam him because I didn't really believe to begin with he should have been sent down. To me, it just looks like mngt screweing with their minds. Call Lynch up, send him down after 2 games to bring up a player that was initially demoted? Makes no sense.
I think they just wanted to get a good look at all our defenders to see how deep we are should we choose to deal a defender a.k.a. asset analysis. I don't think Bergie being sent down had anything to do with his play just his contract the only two defense man we had that could be sent down before Lynch and Luomo call-ups was Bergie and Semenov, but Semenov was playing far to good to send him down simple as that. Now are we doing asset analysis because there is a trade coming is the question.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:18 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
the only plausible account that could reason Lynch's two game stint is that he the Oilers were probably just assesing him, but for what the only thing i cud think of is a trade package, perhaps they felt that Woywitka was ready and wanted to assess Lynch? Maybe they wish to move Smith, Staios, Ferguson and Cross then replace them with Lynch, Woywitka, Bergeron and Ulanov ?

I don't know everything is pure speculation so far.

As for the who plays centre question what another great debate that could be, Horcoff's play has picked up you can't send Stoll down he's here to stay Oates and York don't move. I'd guess that they send Hemsky to the PB throw Horc to the wing and let Reasoner play until Hemsky is ready to draw back in a little time out did wonders for Brewer

Old
01-05-2004, 05:21 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Lynch has been awesome for the Runners this year, so maybe the Oilers were just giving him a little reward for his work.

I'm sure Kevin talks with Scott and Geoff constantly, and maybe they were giving Lynch glowing reviews and passed a suggestion along that maybe he deserves a quick little call up, just to let him know that the Oilers know what he is doing.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:22 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
yeah that sounds more realistic dawgbone.

here's the notes from the edmontonoilers.com pre-game day notes

Quote:
CURRENT INJURIES Jason Smith is out of the lineup for a week to 10 days with a sprained left ankle suffered vs Minnesota (Dec. 30). He has missed 2 games (Jan. 2-4). Cory Cross is day-to-day with back spasms and a hip pointer and has missed 4 games (Dec. 28-Jan. 4). Marty Reasoner is out indefinitely with a hairline fracture of his left ankle, suffered on Nov. 8, and has missed 26 games (Nov. 10-Jan. 4).

NHL INJURED RESERVE LIST Marty Reasoner (C) was placed on the NHL IR on Nov. 12, retroactive to Nov. 8, after suffering a hairline fracture of his left ankle on Nov. 8.

ROSTER MOVES The Oilers currently have 22 players (2 goaltenders, 6 defencemen, 14 forwards) with one player (Marty Reasoner) on the NHL Injured Reserve List. Following are the Oilers latest player movements. Recalled Marc-Andre Bergeron (D) from Toronto (AHL) on Jan. 5. Assigned Doug Lynch (D) to Toronto (AHL) on Jan. 5. Recalled Doug Lynch (D) from Toronto (AHL) on Jan. 1. Recalled Mikko Luoma (D) from Toronto (AHL) on Dec. 29. Assigned Marc-Andre Bergeron (D) to Toronto (AHL) on Dec. 29. Traded the rights to Mike Comrie (C) to Philadelphia in exchange for Jeff Woywitka (D) and the Flyers 1st round choice in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and the Flyers 3rd round choice in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft on Dec. 16. Assigned Jeff Woywitka (D) to Toronto (AHL) on Dec. 16. Assigned Bobby Allen (D) to Toronto (AHL) on Dec. 16.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:32 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
you guys are going to be suprised what Ulanov is going to do for you. He won't score any goals but he won't screw up a play. He played well for the Panthers Last season but the problem was his big contract. he's a good 5-6 defenseman

Old
01-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaf
you guys are going to be suprised what Ulanov is going to do for you. He won't score any goals but he won't screw up a play. He played well for the Panthers Last season but the problem was his big contract. he's a good 5-6 defenseman
Agreed he was good for the Oilers in the season he played with us too. He was like a warrior out there.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
the only plausible account that could reason Lynch's two game stint is that he the Oilers were probably just assesing him, but for what the only thing i cud think of is a trade package, perhaps they felt that Woywitka was ready and wanted to assess Lynch? Maybe they wish to move Smith, Staios, Ferguson and Cross then replace them with Lynch, Woywitka, Bergeron and Ulanov ?
I don't see that happening in the near future. Our defence would take a definate downgrade with both Smith and Staios gone. If they were to leave the Oilers would be needing defence back, as we already have quite a few forwards.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Allan

Just to throw some gas on the fire, the Roadrunners have called Brent Henley up from Columbus. If they had just called Bergeron up, and sent Lynch down, there wouldn't be a need to call Henley. It'll be interesting to see Ulanov again, if he plays.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Mr Sakich

everyone is entitled to my opinion, and here it is:

bringing up MAB is no surprise as he has the skills to play in this league and we had not been scoring a lot lately. Ulanov is a completely different story. If he plays decent, he will not clear waivers when smith returns and he is sent down. To me, it seems like the oil are getting ready to part with a defender. Staios is signed long term as is Cross. Brewer and Semenov are the current best dmen. Who is left that could be traded?

1 MAB - maybe him and Laraque to Mon for Komaresik? Heck, I would throw in rita as well.

2 Ferguson - please, please please let it be him. OK, he isn't going anywhere.

3 Smith - with his contract status (ufa at the end of next year regardles of whether a season occurs or not), he seems to be the obvious choice. If there is no season next year, Lowe can't trade him so a trade this year seems likely. The org is still getting crapped on over not getting anything in return for Marchant, Joseph, or Buekeboom. I used to think that players on the IR couldn't be traded but that isn't the case. His injury is pretty minor so the trade partner is not assuming a lot of risk.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:29 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Just to throw some gas on the fire, the Roadrunners have called Brent Henley up from Columbus. If they had just called Bergeron up, and sent Lynch down, there wouldn't be a need to call Henley. It'll be interesting to see Ulanov again, if he plays.
Henley wasn't bad last night.

He was paired with Bergeron for the most part (even strength), and didn't look out of place. He is a big boy too.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
OIlers have called up Bergeron and Ulanov.
As much as I would love to see Igor called up, I can't find any official info that he has been.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:00 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
3 Smith - with his contract status (ufa at the end of next year regardles of whether a season occurs or not), he seems to be the obvious choice.
But would/could anyone trade for him when he's injured?

What if they just found out Smith or Cross won't be back for a month or more? Might as well call up Ulanov before the playoffs become even mre remote.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:16 AM
barto

RR Press release 1/5/2004

Smith is definitely the guy most tradeable right now due to his contract situation and fairly high trading value at the moment.

I think the MAB send-down/call-up was just a warm-up or prelude to something bigger to shake up the team. Get the players' attention with a minor and easily-made move.

And Lynch getting a reward sounds about right. I still can't find anything official on Ulanov either, just this recent Roadrunners press release:

Bergeron Recalled By Oilers, Lynch Reassigned to Toronto

Jan., 5, 2004

The Edmonton Oilers announced today that they have recalled defenceman Marc Andre Bergeron from the Toronto Roadrunners and reassigned defenceman Doug Lynch to Toronto.

Bergeron, 23, appeared in four games for the Roadrunners, going scoreless while recording two penalty minutes. In 27 games for the Oilers this season, Bergeron has recorded 4g-7a-11pts and 16 penalty minutes.

Lynch, a 20-year-old rookie who was recalled on January 1, played two games for the Oilers, going scoreless. In 32 games with the Roadrunners this season, Lynch has recorded 5g-12a-17pts and 35 penalty minutes.

The Toronto Roadrunners next game takes place Friday, January 9th, when they travel to St. JohnÕs to take on the Maple Leafs.

Old
01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Mr Sakich

some more fuel for the fire:

www.foxsports.com/content...Id=2007280

Panthers looking to deal for defense

Panthers netminder Roberto Luongo recently complained to team management over the number of shots he's faced the season (the Panthers lead the league in shots against), and GM Rick Dudley apparently assured Luongo help was on the way.

Old
01-05-2004, 12:57 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Well its official....up comes Ulanov...

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/pressb...e=20040105_692

Closed Thread