HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Brent Johnson have any trade value?

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 06:13 PM
slimer

vCash: 500
Does Brent Johnson have any trade value?

He is currently making 1.1 mill. I was just wondering if anyone thought their favorite team would be interested in trading for Johnson alone, not as a package deal. If so, what would he fetch if the Blues would not pick up any of his salary?

Old
01-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Stephen

I don't think he'd fetch anything. I kind of see him as a pretty similar player to Jamie Storr, and he was let go for nothing over the summer, and was shown very little interest.

There's a league wide glut of goalies in the NHL right now. Most teams are set for a starter (which Johnson really isn't) a backup and a goalie of the future. I just don't see any interest anywhere.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:35 PM
RE-HABS

Geez, I remember back in the 80's when you were lucky if you had a good goalie. Now on most teams your back up could be a number 1 on yours or most teams out there too. There really isn't a market out there for golies anymore, they are just too good...or maybe players just aren't as good as they used to be!

Old
01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
DrHockeyMD

I don't think he would fetch much, but I still believe that he could be a valuable asset for a franchise in the future. While I don't think he'll ever make it to starter status ever again in St. Louis, he could make a starter position within 3 years in places like Long Island, Edmonton, or LA.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD
I don't think he would fetch much, but I still believe that he could be a valuable asset for a franchise in the future. While I don't think he'll ever make it to starter status ever again in St. Louis, he could make a starter position within 3 years in places like Long Island, Edmonton, or LA.

The Isles started in the next 3 years will probably be Dipietro.

That said, Johnson is a cut above guys like Storr. He should have trade value.

01-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
johnson should have some value. A team like carolina could give him a shot, or maybe a team like LA or maybe even calgary if kipper cant get back into it

Old
01-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

Inconsistent goalie who has performed decently as a backup. Still fairly young and has accomplished zilch in the NHL. I don't know how he's better than Storr. He might look a bit better since he isn't a first round disappointment..

Old
01-04-2004, 07:50 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Inconsistent goalie who has performed decently as a backup. Still fairly young and has accomplished zilch in the NHL. I don't know how he's better than Storr. He might look a bit better since he isn't a first round disappointment..

He has a playoff record for consecutive shutout minutes. But i will agree that he is inconsistent. He will be a good starter someday, im just not sure it will be with the blues.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:26 PM
DrHockeyMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

I'm not saying DiPietro is a bust yet, but I have yet to see anything spectacular from him and I've seen his play for awhile now. Even his supposed Brodeur-like stickhandling hasn't panned out as planned. I really don't think he was ever destined to be the goalie that everyone made him out to be.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:11 AM
degroat*

How much trade value Johnson has is almost completely dependant on how much potential other teams see in Johnson.

Last edited by degroat*: 01-05-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old
01-05-2004, 04:47 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Brent would have value to a team that needs their #1 pushed. He wouldn't be a #1 coming in or perhaps even longterm...unless he improves. But, a team like Ottawa, who needs to light a fire under Lalime...Brent Johnson could be someone who pushes him or can take over.

BTW, the DiPietro comments are very very preemature. It takes years for a goalie to develop. Lets keep that in mind. Turco developed at 26 years old.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:58 AM
wasting time

Quote:
I'm not saying DiPietro is a bust yet, but I have yet to see anything spectacular from him and I've seen his play for awhile now. Even his supposed Brodeur-like stickhandling hasn't panned out as planned. I really don't think he was ever destined to be the goalie that everyone made him out to be.

I think he is far from a bust. He is still very young and goalies really don't hit their stride until mid to late twenties usually.

His problem has been ridiculous expectations from being a first over all pick (which was silly in the first place), a situation where he was expected to perform instead of being allowed to settle into the role, he is considered being traded for Luongo which adds more expectations on him, he is American which adds local pressure of being the next Mike Richter, he plays in New York where Richter played for a decade across town, and finally because he was so brash and cocky which kind of makes him a target, I think.

It is a formula to kill a thoroughbred like DiPietro, hopefully it won't.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

If you're interested in taking on some money I'll offer you Martin Biron ($2.2 mil this season).

Old
01-05-2004, 05:23 PM
DrHockeyMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
His problem has been ridiculous expectations from being a first over all pick (which was silly in the first place), a situation where he was expected to perform instead of being allowed to settle into the role...
Are you really saying that that is his problem? His overly-cocky attitude is disgusting. He feeds off of that.. his problem is that his head is too big.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer
He is currently making 1.1 mill. I was just wondering if anyone thought their favorite team would be interested in trading for Johnson alone, not as a package deal. If so, what would he fetch if the Blues would not pick up any of his salary?

With Belfours groin Toronto could be interested.

A couple questions when does his contract run out
How has he looked this year

Old
01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
k

Quote:
Are you really saying that that is his problem? His overly-cocky attitude is disgusting. He feeds off of that.. his problem is that his head is too big.

Agree with the statements about DiPietro. He has a horrible attitude, is big headed, cocky and immature. He is young though so it is expected altough he wants to play now and he really needs to step up and start being a mature team player. One of his problems is he trys to do too much. He needs to take a step back and stay home more often. I have not been impressed at all, but like stated above he should be given more time (2-4 years unless something drastic happens and he becomes THAT BAD) until he is evaluated and becoming the next Fichaud.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
With Belfours groin Toronto could be interested.

A couple questions when does his contract run out
How has he looked this year
I dont know about Johnsons contract but as far as his play goes mediocre would be a flat out lie and calling it bad would be kind. Worse yet is his attitude there was an article in the STL paper that implied that the Blues might want to send him down to Worcester on a conditioning assignment. He would have to agree to this and his quote was.

"I wouldnt be open to that, I dont want to go down there." I have *****ed about the guy enough you can draw your own conclusions from that quote.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:22 PM
DrHockeyMD

Everyone knows he has a bad attitude. He drinks too much, smokes, plays with too many women.. even while he is currently taken.. everyone knows of these things. No matter what people say, he won't stop. Even Tkachuk's punch to his face last season didn't make him rethink anything. I agree that he has a bad attitude, but I don't see how a change of scenery couldn't help him or the Blues, no matter what they get back from another team.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Everyone knows he has a bad attitude. He drinks too much, smokes, plays with too many women.. even while he is currently taken.. everyone knows of these things. No matter what people say, he won't stop. Even Tkachuk's punch to his face last season didn't make him rethink anything. I agree that he has a bad attitude, but I don't see how a change of scenery couldn't help him or the Blues, no matter what they get back from another team.
Just getting that POS off the roster would be an improvement for the Blues. If he is our best option as a backup, we have no options. ask yourself this question, If Ozzy got hurt and you had to go for a long stretch with BJ as the goalie how comfortable would you feel?

As for his Drinking and fornicating I couldnt care less if he got he stuff together and worked harder in practice. He apparently wont even accept a coditioning assignment in Worcester when it would be the best thing for him and the team. He could go down there and play regular and possibly regain his form, and he wont do that. I ask you another question, Who does he think he is? Get rid of that chump plain and simple.

They have to get a backup in here that can give Ozzy some rest, I have no idea who that could be but Larry is going to have to earn his money here.

I bet he plays Tommorow if they have any confidence left in him. Saying that if he plays I think it could get ugly.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:30 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesJack
Agree with the statements about DiPietro. He has a horrible attitude, is big headed, cocky and immature. He is young though so it is expected altough he wants to play now and he really needs to step up and start being a mature team player. One of his problems is he trys to do too much. He needs to take a step back and stay home more often. I have not been impressed at all, but like stated above he should be given more time (2-4 years unless something drastic happens and he becomes THAT BAD) until he is evaluated and becoming the next Fichaud.
The attitude thing does not bother me. All he has to do is stop the puck and if he needs the attitude to make him play better then so be it. But being put into a bad situation could kill his mojo.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
If you're interested in taking on some money I'll offer you Martin Biron ($2.2 mil this season).
Where do the Blues sign?

I've said before that this would be a good thing for both teams, and for both goalies.

--------------------

PrussianBlue

Old
01-06-2004, 03:49 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Just getting that POS off the roster would be an improvement for the Blues. If he is our best option as a backup, we have no options. ask yourself this question, If Ozzy got hurt and you had to go for a long stretch with BJ as the goalie how comfortable would you feel?
About as comfortable as Jersey would feel if Brodeur got hurt and they had to go with Schwab for a long stretch, or as comfortable as Toronto would feel if Belfour got hurt and they had to go with Tellqvist or Kidd for a long stretch, or as comfortable as LA would feel if Cechmanek got hurt and they had to go with Huet for a long stretch...

There's a reason why some guys are starters who play a lot, and some guys are backups who don't. In Johnson's one season as a starter (58 GP in 2001-02), he won 34 games, had five shutouts (three more in the playoffs) and a 2.18 GAA. Why would you, or anyone else, think he couldn't do that again if he was put in the right situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
He apparently wont even accept a coditioning assignment in Worcester when it would be the best thing for him and the team. He could go down there and play regular and possibly regain his form, and he wont do that.
No.

He said he wouldn't be open to that. He doesn't want to go to Worcester. Who the hell does? Who wants to be sent down to the AHL?

Saying that, you really think that if the Blues told him he was going down, he'd walk? I doubt it. He'd probably be PO'd and sulk -- like you would if you were an NHL goaltender who got sent to the minors largely as a response to impatient and uninformed carping from fans and media. But he'd accept the demotion and either work hard to get back, or give up and stay in the AHL.

Johnson needs a change of scenery, plain and simple. The unreasonably high expectations and constant p***ing and moaning by fans and media in St. Louis, have made it next to impossible for the guy to ever be a success there now. Even if he stood on his head and reeled off a 20-game win streak, allowing 40 goals in that span, some ignoramus would still be writing in to every hockey forum about how "soft" the two goals were that he let in, on the average, every night...

--------------------

PrussianBlue

Old
01-06-2004, 09:44 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
About as comfortable as Jersey would feel if Brodeur got hurt and they had to go with Schwab for a long stretch, or as comfortable as Toronto would feel if Belfour got hurt and they had to go with Tellqvist or Kidd for a long stretch, or as comfortable as LA would feel if Cechmanek got hurt and they had to go with Huet for a long stretch...

There's a reason why some guys are starters who play a lot, and some guys are backups who don't. In Johnson's one season as a starter (58 GP in 2001-02), he won 34 games, had five shutouts (three more in the playoffs) and a 2.18 GAA. Why would you, or anyone else, think he couldn't do that again if he was put in the right situation?

No.

He said he wouldn't be open to that. He doesn't want to go to Worcester. Who the hell does? Who wants to be sent down to the AHL?

Saying that, you really think that if the Blues told him he was going down, he'd walk? I doubt it. He'd probably be PO'd and sulk -- like you would if you were an NHL goaltender who got sent to the minors largely as a response to impatient and uninformed carping from fans and media. But he'd accept the demotion and either work hard to get back, or give up and stay in the AHL.

Johnson needs a change of scenery, plain and simple. The unreasonably high expectations and constant p***ing and moaning by fans and media in St. Louis, have made it next to impossible for the guy to ever be a success there now. Even if he stood on his head and reeled off a 20-game win streak, allowing 40 goals in that span, some ignoramus would still be writing in to every hockey forum about how "soft" the two goals were that he let in, on the average, every night...

--------------------

PrussianBlue
I disagree,its his attitude that has csused him the problem, he should have never said that he wouldnt be open to a conditioning stint. The way he is playing he should welcome the chance to play and work out his problems.

Also I think you are giving too much credit to the fans and media who dont like the guy if you think that we make decisions for the coaching staff. If they thought he could do the job he would be playing some no matter what we say their jobs depend on how the team does this year.

Also If you remember the time Roman Turek was here, he took his fair share of flak from the fans and media towards the end, hell he still does and he is gone. But the one thing he never did was display a bad attitude get in scraps with teammates at practice and make stupid comments in the media.

You dont think he didnt know after he didnt play in game 5 vs Colorado that he was a goner. Hell yes he knew but the one thing he didnt do is ***** on the media about not even getting a chance in game 5 and all that BS. You want to make a bet on what your boy Johnnie would have done in the same situation? He would have pissed and moaned so much you would have thought he was trated unfairly. Say what you want about Turek's playing ability, he handled the situation with class. Class is a word that doesnt often collide in the same sentance with Johnnie.

I do agree that he and the Blues need to part ways, the sooner the better.

Last edited by c-carp: 01-06-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Closed Thread