HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines

Old
09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
It's actually sad the lack of respect Betts gets on these boards...

Occasional goals will come from Callahan and Prucha if Betts is the 3rd line center..They are two good to not score with the FOUR other guys they are on the ice with...

Betts isn't a complete waste of space in the offensive zone and games aren't just played in the defensive zone with Betts, Prucha, and Callahan on the ice...I mean the forecheck Callahan creates...Pruchas hands...two point men....It's not like the Rangers would be playing shorthanded with Betts on the 3rd line...

I'm not for Dubinsky playing with Hollweg and Orr...Let Dubinsky be the 3rd line center and grow at the NHL level but it's foolish to think he is going to only play with offensive teammates....It's foolish to think HE CAN ONLY play with offensive teammates...

Like I said in another thread...Right NOW in a close game when the Rangers are up by a goal Betts is your 3rd line center...I think that is the way it should shake out and i think it puts less pressure on Dubinsky to start the season...Have Dubinsky start games with Callahan and Prucha on the 3rd line but when leading put Betts with those guys...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Fletch

I like Betts, SoS...

and he's not lacking respect. But I think he is what he is. On a team that's going to roll four lines, you won't find a better fourth line centerman (just lke in the day, with Pandolfo at wing, it was hard to find a better fourth line winger). Betts will score more goals than other fourth liners, by a good amount. What's missing is a bit of creativity. Betts does not make good use of his wingers. He's not a big cycler either - very quick to just take the shot and skate back. Prucha, unfortunately, does not create a lot by himself - he needs to have the puck sent to him somehow. Lots of goal scorers are like that. Callahan, I believe, would actually work well with Betts. If the line were, say, Avery (or Straka)-Betts-Callahan, then I'm not terrribly upset, to be honest, as a third line. Heck, Betts/Hossa didn't really produce much either and was scored on more than it scored. In the end, it's really Prucha. You're not going to get the best out of him playing with Betts - plain and simple. Maybe Prucha shouldn't be in the plans since this isn't all about him, but we've seen it before and it hasn't been a good match. Mix and match as you like - but I don't think a good match is Prucha with Betts.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
TIt shouldn't happen, but, I fear it will.
You are right, and that is why when the poll of "Do you trust Renney with this team" came out, I said no. It is because Renney does not put his team or his players into a position that best dictates success. And Betts as the third line center is just one such example.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Lack of respect or calling a spade a spade?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=424244

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Fletch

Good find, jas...

I'll say it over and over again - I like Betts. Excellent on the faceoffs. Decent defensively (I don't say great because he doesn't go against top lines on a consistent basis so it's tough to judge - but he's quite good against the third and fourth liners) and he provides additional offense from a fourth line. He can fill in competently on the third line too in case of injury. That's an NHLer with a decent career outlook - that's not a lack of respect.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'll say it over and over again - I like Betts. Excellent on the faceoffs. Decent defensively (I don't say great because he doesn't go against top lines on a consistent basis so it's tough to judge - but he's quite good against the third and fourth liners) and he provides additional offense from a fourth line. He can fill in competently on the third line too in case of injury. That's an NHLer with a decent career outlook - that's not a lack of respect.
Fletch, I've been as staunch a supporter of Betts as anyone. I've long recognized what he brings to the Rangers. But, it was apparent last year that he is best suited for 4th line duty. And, frankly, when Renney tries to use him above his role, he really does this team a disservice.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Betts is great! When you look at your lines, Ideally your "first line" players are scoring 40 goals each, 2nd 30 goals each, 3rd 20 goals each, and 4th 10 goals each. By that ideal and possibly arbitrary benchmark, Betts is providing exactly what I want from a 4th liner. He's great defensively, wins lots of faceoffs, is good for 10 goals. If only he had some Ryan Hollweg checking ability and energy.

In what little we saw, I really liked what I saw of Drury and Jagr. It also seems like the best default choice given how well Gomez and Shanahan play together. This was my feeling since we signed them. Jagr is the playmaker on his line. Gomez should be the playmaker on his line.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Betts is great! When you look at your lines, Ideally your "first line" players are scoring 40 goals each, 2nd 30 goals each, 3rd 20 goals each, and 4th 10 goals each. By that ideal and possibly arbitrary benchmark, Betts is providing exactly what I want from a 4th liner. He's great defensively, wins lots of faceoffs, is good for 10 goals. If only he had some Ryan Hollweg checking ability and energy.

In what little we saw, I really liked what I saw of Drury and Jagr. It also seems like the best default choice given how well Gomez and Shanahan play together. This was my feeling since we signed them. Jagr is the playmaker on his line. Gomez should be the playmaker on his line.
Totally agree. I even started a thread to that extent .

I don't know why we're still debating Betts' worth. He's the ideal fourth line center.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote