HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why the playoffs are still in reach

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
For an opposing fan to say that the goalie is struggling is an observation, to say that we haven't got a goalie is inflammatory. Kapiche?
Especially when Vancouver is a goalie's graveyard.

01-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Mizral

Quote:
For an opposing fan to say that the goalie is struggling is an observation, to say that we haven't got a goalie is inflammatory. Kapiche?
'Opposing fan'.. where's my rolls eyes thingy?

If you feel any better with this:

In the 2nd round of last year's post-season, the Canucks didn't have a goalie either.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Reasons the Oilers can make the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Of course the Oilers have a shot at the playoffs. These are the three problems I see:

#1 - The Kings, Stars, and Ducks are better teams than they've been showing. It's possible that all three have strong second halves, but I would be for sure two of those teams do.

#2 - Phoenix is starting to catch fire and Nashville has been hot and cold since last year around this time. Both teams are now getting amazing goaltending compared to October. They could easily break into the post season race and leave the Oilers behind.

#3 - The Oilers still don't have a goaltender.

Until Lowe gets a goaltender, making the playoffs is akin to drafting Ovechkin. It could happen, but it probobly won't.
1. The Oilers are also not as bad as they have been and I don't believe all three of those teams are going to be hot. The Oilers have as much chance as any of the teams you mention to get hot.

2. One of the teams the Oilers are chasing will struggle not all of them are going to be hot. These are .500 teams the chances of them all getting hot are slim to none. One of them will struggle maybe more than one.

3. The Oilers goaltending has nowhere to go but up. I don't believe Salo will be as bad as he was or will have the injury problems and Conklin has already shown that he is more than a capable backup.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
'Opposing fan'.. where's my rolls eyes thingy?

If you feel any better with this:

In the 2nd round of last year's post-season, the Canucks didn't have a goalie either.
That's very magnanimous of you to admit that your goalie played poorly over a 7 game period. It's almost the exact same thing as saying that our goalie is worthless.

Here you go

Old
01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
If it was 10 to 12 points I would tend to agree but 4?

It doesn't take much to make up 4 points with 43 games left.

Okay, let's do this (hope I've got it right).

5. Colorado 38gp, (48)
6. Calgary 38gp, (46)
7. Nashville 39gp, (42)
8. Los Angeles 39gp, (42)

9. Dallas 41gp, (41)
10.Phoenix 39gp, (41)
11.Minnesota 40gp, (38)--involved in a 1-1 tie as I write this.
12.Edmonton 40gp, (38)
13.Anaheim 39gp, (35)

Okay, I think that's right, sorry if I got something wrong. The Oilers are only 4 points behind LA, with the Kings having a game in hand. Right?

The Oilers have 42 games left (they still play 82, right?). Let's assume Anaheim doesn't make a deal, and falls off the pace.

Edmonton has to get hotter than Minnesota, Phoenix, Dallas AND Los Angeles (or a team above them). It's a very difficult position to be in, not just because of the points they're behind, but because of the number of teams that are above them.

If Edmonton was far and away the best team in this group, that might give some hope. But they're not. I'd say Nashville, LA, Dallas, Minnesota and Anaheim are better, with Phoenix in the same general area. Even then they're getting better goaltending.

If 8th place this season is awarded to a team with 85 points, the Oilers would need 47 points in the last 42 games.

Not impossible, right? Problem is, there are 6 teams fighting for one spot.

And any advantage, especially's LA's 4 points (and a game in hand) is pretty large imo.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:47 PM
icarus

Ah, this kind of talk brings back memories of the Flames boards around this time of year for the last several years...

Old
01-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

5. Colorado 38gp, (48)
6. Calgary 38gp, (46)
7. Nashville 39gp, (42)

9. Dallas 41gp, (41)
10.Phoenix 39gp, (41)
12.Edmonton 40gp, (38)
13.Anaheim 39gp, (35)

Okay, I think that's right, sorry if I got something wrong. The Oilers are only 4 points behind LA, with the Kings having a game in hand. Right?

The Oilers have 42 games left (they still play 82, right?). Let's assume Anaheim doesn't make a deal, and falls off the pace.

Edmonton has to get hotter than Minnesota, Phoenix, Dallas AND Los Angeles (or a team above them). It's a very difficult position to be in, not just because of the points they're behind, but because of the number of teams that are above them.

If Edmonton was far and away the best team in this group, that might give some hope. But they're not. I'd say Nashville, LA, Dallas, Minnesota and Anaheim are better, with Phoenix in the same general area. Even then they're getting better goaltending.

If 8th place this season is awarded to a team with 85 points, the Oilers would need 47 points in the last 42 games.

And any advantage, especially's LA's 4 points (and a game in hand) is pretty large imo.
The Oil had to beat 8 teams to make the playoffs from game 1 on, and like I said b4, that would still be the case if the Oil had the 8th spot right now.

It would be nice if the Oil had a 4 point cushion on L.A. but a 4 point deficit at this point doesn't seem any worse to me. The sooner we get behind the more time we have to catch up.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

5. Colorado 38gp, (48)
6. Calgary 38gp, (46)
7. Nashville 39gp, (42)

9. Dallas 41gp, (41)
10.Phoenix 39gp, (41)
12.Edmonton 40gp, (38)
13.Anaheim 39gp, (35)

There are 84 possible points to be had and a lot of hockey left and also factoring is how many head to head games the teams have ahead of them have. We have a game in hand on Minnesota, so what?

Just way too many possibilities and there is no way I am going to talk about slim hopes when there are 42 games left. Sorry that is ridiculous.

I have seen teams make up a four point stretch in a week, never mind 42 games. One hot streak is all it would take.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
There are 84 possible points to be had and a lot of hockey left and also factoring is how many head to head games the teams have ahead of them have. We have a game in hand on Minnesota, so what?

Just way too many possibilities and there is no way I am going to talk about slim hopes when there are 42 games left. Sorry that is ridiculous.

I have seen teams make up a four point stretch in a week, never mind 42 games. One hot streak is all it would take.
High five

*smack!!*

Old
01-05-2004, 06:13 PM
momentai

Quote:
Problem there is that we have to hope that any of those teams DON'T match that streak at all... Something that we have no control over.

Or that the Oilers themselves don't have any kind of mini-slump... or at least hope every single team ahead of us does as well.

The room for error is extremely small here. Like I mentioned... the magic barrier is always close to the 88-90 pt barrier. That's 51 pts in 43 games. We are going to have to match Vancouver of two years ago to come close.

EDIT: hey! Post 3000! Man, I've been here a long time. Speeds is next I think. He's only got 40 more to go I believe.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:13 PM
The Rage

Quote:
It's not like Mizral wrote a post that just said "Oilers don't have a goalie. They won't make the playoffs." Mizral gave a logical, thoughtful post that was his honest opinion. You can debate points you disagree with, but just calling him insipid is ludicrous. I barely agree with anything Mizral says, and when I disagree I put out my side of the argument. What I don't do is label him and brush aside his beliefs.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:17 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Problem there is that we have to hope that any of those teams DON'T match that streak at all... Something that we have no control over.

Or that the Oilers themselves don't have any kind of mini-slump... or at least hope every single team ahead of us does as well.

The room for error is extremely small here. Like I mentioned... the magic barrier is always close to the 88-90 pt barrier. That's 51 pts in 43 games. We are going to have to match Vancouver of two years ago to come close.
Mr. Sakich reported how, after tonight, we have had the toughest sched so far: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nhl0304.htm
I think it's safe to say our sched in the next have will be consequently fairly easier. That makes 51 pts in 43 games possible.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
It's not like Mizral wrote a post that just said "Oilers don't have a goalie. They won't make the playoffs." Mizral gave a logical, thoughtful post that was his honest opinion. You can debate points you disagree with, but just calling him insipid is ludicrous. I barely agree with anything Mizral says, and when I disagree I put out my side of the argument. What I don't do is label him and brush aside his beliefs.
I appreciate it, Rage, but save your breathe. I am the great Satan of the Oilers board, remember - I'd hate to live down to expectations.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

EDIT: hey! Post 3000! Man, I've been here a long time. Speeds is next I think. He's only got 40 more to go I believe.
How many points back were we at the Christmas break? I believe it was 8 or 9.

So basically we have already made up 4 points in an 9 day period and that is with a modest streak of one regulation loss in 6 games.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Mizral gave a logical, thoughtful post that was his honest opinion.
Your post can go into the dictionary to help define the word drivel.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:50 PM
zamboni

As of right now it's unfair to say the Oilers don't have a goalie. Sure, Salo has not proven he is 100% back to where he was a couple years ago, but with the way he's playing you have to give him some credit. He's good enough to get the team into the playoffs, it's after that I'm mostly concerned with (but let's just worry about getting in, first).

Old
01-05-2004, 06:51 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Your post can go into the dictionary to help define the word drivel.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I know you are but what am I.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
momentai

Quote:
So basically we have already made up 4 points in an 9 day period and that is with a modest streak of one regulation loss in 6 games.
This is definitely one of our hotstreaks that we have every season. But let's be honest here. We beat Minnesota and Chicago, tied Minnesota, lost in OT to New Jersey and beat a tired Vancouver team playing on the tail end of a difficult game against a tough Calgary squad. Not exactly dominating. But sure, this is one of the Oilers' hot streaks. What happens if it ends?

What happens if we lose against the Iles and Flyers? We could easily end up 8 pts back as well. As I said, there is no room for error here.

What happens if Nashville/Anaheim/L.A/ Dallas go on a modest hot steak like ours? Where do we stand?

There's a lot of teams to hope do poorly and the odds are not great every one of them fails.

Last edited by momentai: 01-05-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old
01-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I know you are but what am I.
No, listen dude, the whole point is that when I said he was being inflammatory I hit the nail right on the head. Saying "your team doesn't have a goalie" is not a logical, thoughtful opinion as you sooo eloquently stated. If you can honestly look at all of the comments going back and forth and still think you're right then I'm just giving up on you.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
This is definitely one of our hotstreaks that we have every season. But let's be honest here. We beat Minnesota and Chicago, tied Minnesota, lost in OT to New Jersey and beat a tired Vancouver team playing on the tail end of a difficult game against a tough Calgary squad. Not exactly dominating. But sure, this is one of the Oilers' hot streaks. What happens if it ends?

What happens if we lose against the Iles and Flyers? We could easily end up 8 pts back as well. As I said, there is no room for error here.

What happens if Nashville/Anaheim/L.A/ Dallas go on a modest hot steak like ours? Where do we stand?

There's a lot of teams to hope do poorly and the odds are not great every one of them fails.
What if... the Oilers gain 5 points on those teams over the course of the remaining 44 games? Is that so hard to imagine? If the Oilers play well they don't have to look at the out of town scoreboards.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:12 PM
The Rage

Quote:
No, listen dude, the whole point is that when I said he was being inflammatory I hit the nail right on the head. Saying "your team doesn't have a goalie" is not a logical, thoughtful opinion as you sooo eloquently stated. If you can honestly look at all of the comments going back and forth and still think you're right then I'm just giving up on you.
I mean the post AS A WHOLE was logical and thoughtful, because it made sense and he obviously put some thought into it. You took one thing he said, didn't give a counter argument, but called it insipid. I apologize for prefering rational discussion to name calling. I'm sorry dude.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
momentai

Quote:
What if... the Oilers gain 5 points on those teams over the course of the remaining 44 games? Is that so hard to imagine? If the Oilers play well they don't have to look at the out of town scoreboards.
By the Oilers gaining 5 points, that has to mean the other teams are not gaining any. I didn't say it wasn't possible. It certainly is.

But think of the odds. The Oilers have to leapfrog 4 teams to make the 8th spot. That means if the Oilers gain 4 points on L.A. That means they have to hope the other teams don't gain those 4 pts as well because it just makes their destination that much farther away.

The Oilers could win 42 games straight and possibly still not make the playoffs if one of those teams wins 41. It's a hard, long uphill battle that's going to have a lot of things go right. Not impossible.... but unlikely IMO.

I'm not bailing on the Oilers or anything. It's just that I see the possibility as remote. It doesn't mean that I don't want it to happen... but it's going to be so very very tough. This is the last I'll say on it. Call me skeptical if you will or a pessimist... but that's just the way I see it.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
I mean the post AS A WHOLE was logical and thoughtful, because it made sense and he obviously put some thought into it.
OK I guess that for you what Miz said seems like intelligent, rational, undisputable logic and you're welcome to it.

I for one have read far too many of Miz's posts and am sick of the usual "Oiler a is really playing well well, kind of like a poor man's Canuck b..." bung-iola.

A few backhanded compliments and some praise for the almighty Canucks might seem like the wisdom of the ancients to you, but I'd have put him on my ignore list ages ago if it was possible. However, he's a mod and I can't.

It's bad enough that he's always putting in his two bits, but when Mr Sakich made the initial comments about Cloutier it was just provoking a nice hearty dose of ummmm... logic.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:53 PM
The Rage

Quote:
OK I guess that for you what Miz said seems like intelligent, rational, undisputable logic and you're welcome to it.

I for one have read far too many of Miz's posts and am sick of the usual "Oiler a is really playing well well, kind of like a poor man's Canuck b..." bung-iola.

A few backhanded compliments and some praise for the almighty Canucks might seem like the wisdom of the ancients to you, but I'd have put him on my ignore list ages ago if it was possible. However, he's a mod and I can't.

It's bad enough that he's always putting in his two bits, but when Mr Sakich made the initial comments about Cloutier it was just provoking a nice hearty dose of ummmm... logic.
Did I ever say what he said was intelligent? Did I ever say he was even right? I said that he made a fair, if not correct, point, and instead of debating it, you attacked him. That's the bottom line.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:58 PM
speeds

Quote:
Mr. Sakich reported how, after tonight, we have had the toughest sched so far:
I think it's safe to say our sched in the next have will be consequently fairly easier. That makes 51 pts in 43 games possible.
the schedule will likely be easier from here on in than it has been so far, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be easier than any of the other teams EDM is competing with down the stretch, because the skeds are unbalanced.

Closed Thread