HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sully May Not Be Ready To Play?

Old
08-17-2007, 11:19 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
Sully May Not Be Ready To Play?

"While Steve Sullivan continues to recover from back surgery, it appears he may not be ready for training camp next month."

TSN Story

anybody else see where this is going? might want to start thinking about a replacement in case Sully starts going the way of Scott Walker.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

vCash: 500
I hope Sullivan recovers from back surgery better than Berard did for us. You'll need him to kick our ***** 8 times next season.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
RE-HABS

I live in Timmins and what I hear from family and friends is that Sully's back is worse than people know, it is potentially career threating...seems to be the same type of back problem that ruined Eric Daze's career.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I live in Timmins and what I hear from family and friends is that Sully's back is worse than people know, it is potentially career threating...seems to be the same type of back problem that ruined Eric Daze's career.
With all due respect, I doubt it's that bad. If it were, the team and their doctors would almost certainly know. In that case, the team would have done something to replace him, or would be doing something to replace him now. All this article is saying is what the Tennessean has been saying...they're playing it safe, he MAY not be ready in time for preseason, but should be better than ever when he does come back...to start the season. This isn't even really "news," as it's nothing we didn't already know.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
With all due respect, I doubt it's that bad. If it were, the team and their doctors would almost certainly know. In that case, the team would have done something to replace him, or would be doing something to replace him now. All this article is saying is what the Tennessean has been saying...they're playing it safe, he MAY not be ready in time for preseason, but should be better than ever when he does come back...to start the season. This isn't even really "news," as it's nothing we didn't already know.
Exactly!

08-20-2007, 02:07 PM
jstreet
Smashville

well I appreciate your optimism, but Im thinking that Poile needs to have a solid plan B in the works. Im sure he does.

Old
08-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Olly2

Depth Up Front an Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Exactly!
About a week ago, I started a thread about the lack of depth up front, and the blue-line becoming crowded.

The Preds, despite all the player departures, are still a solid squad. However, to go into the season only 6 deep in terms of scoring forwards, would be a mistake.

At the very least, the Preds should sign Mike Johnson, and pencil him in on a line with Bonk and Gelinas.

That would at least round out the top three lines, and in the event of an injury, Johnson provides a decent option as a player that can move up to the top 2 lines.

I believe the Preds need to deal one of their prospects on the back line for a scoring prospect who is almost ready.

A player like R.Nilsson, J.Tambellini, or A.Kostsitsyn would be great.

I believe making this type of deal now, would cost the team less. Waiting for an injury would be a mistake. The league would know that the organization is desperate need of a forward and ask for more.

I think that the organization has got to be kidding themselves if they believe that the loss of Kariya, Hartnell, and Upshall will not hurt. Bonk and Gelinas were solid pick ups, but definitely not enough.

Olly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
jstreet
Smashville

I agree on most of what you said.

4 months from now someone will go down and we will be plugging Nichol and Fiddler into the top lines. We will all be whining and crying.

Like I said, surely Poile has all of this in mind.

Old
08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
4 months from now someone will go down and we will be plugging Nichol and Fiddler into the top lines. We will all be whining and crying.
Agreed.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'm just going by what I have heard for his family and they seem to think it isn't as easy to return as the Preds maybe making the fans think. I'm sure he is trying his damnest to get the back in shape, but spasms aren't like healing a broken bone...it's deep in the muscle and it is a problem, back and abdominal injuries are the worse to come back from.

Losing Kariya and more than likely Forsberg as well hurts, but losing Sully as well really hurts too especially with Vokoun, Timonen and Hartnell gone too.

It's good to be optimistic, but I think Pred's management just can't deal another bad news story to the media and fans right now regarding the severity of this back injury.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I'm just going by what I have heard for his family and they seem to think it isn't as easy to return as the Preds maybe making the fans think. I'm sure he is trying his damnest to get the back in shape, but spasms aren't like healing a broken bone...it's deep in the muscle and it is a problem, back and abdominal injuries are the worse to come back from.

Losing Kariya and more than likely Forsberg as well hurts, but losing Sully as well really hurts too especially with Vokoun, Timonen and Hartnell gone too.

It's good to be optimistic, but I think Pred's management just can't deal another bad news story to the media and fans right now regarding the severity of this back injury.
he had surgery. it's not about healing, and i don't think the Preds are holding off on signing someone or making a trade because "the fans can't take anymore bad news."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
handtrick

Quote:

Sully had a discectomy.....from somebody that knows, this IS a surgery that an elite athlete can recover from to near a 100% level if there was no permanent damage to the nerve affected.

Of course his family is going to be worried about it being "career threatening"......you have to prepare yourself for the worst mentally......don't just assume that Poile and Trotz are hiding something.
Rehab may have its ups and downs as is the case with any post surgical recovery course. He may not be ready for training camp, it will all be determined by how quickly he regains his core strength and the strength of the muscles that are innervated by the nerve onto which the disc was impinging.

Last edited by handtrick: 08-20-2007 at 03:35 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Sully had a discectomy.....from somebody that knows, this IS a surgery that an elite athlete can recover from to near a 100% level if there was no permanent damage to the nerve effected.

Of course his family is going to be worried about it being "career threatening"......you have to prepare yourself for the worst mentally......don't just assume that Poile and Trotz are hiding something.
Rehab may have its ups and downs as is the case with any post surgical recovery course. He may not be ready for training camp, it will all be determined by how quickly he regains his core strength and the strength of the muscles that is innervated by the nerve onto which the disc was impinging.

Thanks, Doc!

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly2 View Post
About a week ago, I started a thread about the lack of depth up front, and the blue-line becoming crowded.

The Preds, despite all the player departures, are still a solid squad. However, to go into the season only 6 deep in terms of scoring forwards, would be a mistake.

At the very least, the Preds should sign Mike Johnson, and pencil him in on a line with Bonk and Gelinas.

That would at least round out the top three lines, and in the event of an injury, Johnson provides a decent option as a player that can move up to the top 2 lines.

I believe the Preds need to deal one of their prospects on the back line for a scoring prospect who is almost ready.

A player like R.Nilsson, J.Tambellini, or A.Kostsitsyn would be great.

I believe making this type of deal now, would cost the team less. Waiting for an injury would be a mistake. The league would know that the organization is desperate need of a forward and ask for more.

I think that the organization has got to be kidding themselves if they believe that the loss of Kariya, Hartnell, and Upshall will not hurt. Bonk and Gelinas were solid pick ups, but definitely not enough.
We still have moves to make on this roster. Someone is either going to hit the waiver wire, or we are going to trade one of many defenseman (most bets are on Klein.....although one would expect him to be a terrific player in the current scheme given his speed and all around game).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
lstcyr

any chance the hesitation on a move is due to Sully's situation and the possibility he may be back a little later than the start of the season (say a week or two in). We could save one of the waiver items until we see who else might be available then. (ie who also might be in a waiver situation.) Just a thought.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
any chance the hesitation on a move is due to Sully's situation and the possibility he may be back a little later than the start of the season (say a week or two in). We could save one of the waiver items until we see who else might be available then. (ie who also might be in a waiver situation.) Just a thought.
True. Still, if Sullivan is ready to start the season on time, then we are going to have to pass one of the guys through waivers or trade them....(I know you know this, just pointing it out to others). As it stands, I think he will be ready for the regular season.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Jarnberg

Even if Sullivan plays, he still might not be the same Sullivan. He's aging and who knows how he'll respond to this injury.

Old
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Even if Sullivan plays, he still might not be the same Sullivan. He's aging and who knows how he'll respond to this injury.
Yeah, it will be a little harder to move in that back brace he will be required to wear....

I kid.....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Jarnberg

Looks like RE-HABS was right...