HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much would it take to land Joe Thorton?

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 500
How much would it take to land Joe Thorton?

Would Jason Smith, Georges Laraque, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, and our 1st this year, plus philly's 1st be enough to pry him out of Boston?

There Dline depth is in about the same shape ours is, so Smith would be welcome, and BG's size i am sure would be loved in the east. Marc-Antoine Pouliot fills center gap created by Thorton's absense(next season). The philly pick will be towards the end of the 1st round, but the oilers pick might be top 8 . I would be willing to part with Brewer or Smyth as well , Only untouchable being Hemsky.

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 01-04-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
Would Jason Smith, Georges Laraque, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, and our 1st this year, plus philly's 1st be enough to pry him out of Boston?

There Dline depth is in about the same shape ours is, so Smith would be welcome, and BG's size i am sure would be loved in the east. Marc-Antoine Pouliot fills center gap created by Thorton's absense(next season). The philly pick will be towards the end of the 1st round, but the oilers pick might be top 8 . I would be willing to part with Brewer or Smyth as well , Only untouchable being Hemsky.
As much as I like Thornton, I don't see the Oilers trading a defenseman. Both Smith and Cross are out and trading Brewer would be a nightmare for this team. The defense is thin right now.

01-04-2004, 09:00 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
As much as I like Thornton, I don't see the Oilers trading a defenseman. Both Smith and Cross are out and trading Brewer would be a nightmare for this team. The defense is thin right now.
no doubt the oilers would move a D for Thornton, current depth problems or not.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:02 PM
speeds

Quote:

personally I think that package is just a bit too much for a rebuilding club like EDM to part with. Then again, adding a franchise player never comes cheap.

I'd have to say I wouldn't do it though.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
We have 10 defensemen on the current roster including Smith and Cross with the callups, something is up.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
We have 10 defensemen on the current roster including Smith and Cross with the callups, something is up.
Could be injuries that we don't know about.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Could be injuries that we don't know about.
Differant angle,
Brewer, Smyth
for
Thornton?

Think thats the kind of package Boston would want IF they did decide to deal Joe(highly doubt that he'd go though)

Old
01-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Differant angle,
Brewer, Smyth
for
Thornton?

Think thats the kind of package Boston would want IF they did decide to deal Joe(highly doubt that he'd go though)
I would do that deal:

York-Thorton-Hemsky
Torres-Oates-Dvorak

Old
01-04-2004, 09:35 PM
The Rage

I hate to be negative, but there is no chance we're getting Thorton unless we tremendously overpay. And why would we do that?

Old
01-04-2004, 09:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I hate to be negative, but there is no chance we're getting Thorton unless we tremendously overpay. And why would we do that?
Because we badly want a player with his own CCM skate ad.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Agreed Rage, I think JoThor is in a similar catergory with the top end talents in the league. (Bertuzzi, Foresburg, etc) I would love to see it though, Imagine this top line. Size does matter.

Smyth-Thornton-Isbister

Mowzie- "Somewhere between below average and above average, is me."

Old
01-04-2004, 09:44 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Because we badly want a player with his own CCM skate ad.
Is that just a joke? Or do you mean we need a marquee player? Stupid question, but I'm bored.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Is that just a joke? Or do you mean we need a marquee player? Stupid question, but I'm bored.
Well, I was kinda goin for the *symbol crash*

But yes, having a marquee player right now would be nice, I think I might choose a guy from a Nike ad or his recovering teammate for that one though.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:58 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

At $5.5 million, can we really afford big Joe?
If we're looking to get him, then we definitely need to unload some high priced players like Jason Smith.

Old
01-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
If we're looking to get him, then we definitely need to unload some high priced players like Jason Smith.
No we can't afford him. "But what if we move Smyth, Brewer... etc. then we free up $$". No it doesn't work that way. If one player is making 1/6 of the company payroll, then you're putting all of your eggs in one basket. One injury. One holdout. And that's one sixth of the Oiler payroll down the tubes. Face facts dudes. Thornton is out of our payscale. Stop dreaming. And there's no way we would trade five players for one (i.e. Smith, MA Pouliot, Philly draft pick etc.) Waaay too much risk by us.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:53 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
No we can't afford him. "But what if we move Smyth, Brewer... etc. then we free up $$". No it doesn't work that way. If one player is making 1/6 of the company payroll, then you're putting all of your eggs in one basket. One injury. One holdout. And that's one sixth of the Oiler payroll down the tubes. Face facts dudes. Thornton is out of our payscale. Stop dreaming. And there's no way we would trade five players for one (i.e. Smith, MA Pouliot, Philly draft pick etc.) Waaay too much risk by us.
Unloading a Jason Smith and a Tommy Salo should free up some cash to sign Thornton, but of course it leaves a huge hole in our defense and you're right, its like putting all our eggs into one basket. Although, Thornton is a huge guy and a tough customer, its still risky.
Thornton, though, is a marquee player that will help us now, and in the future. Keep in mind that he's only 24 and he's already topped the 100 pt mark. I think he's worth the gamble.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:59 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
personally I think that package is just a bit too much for a rebuilding club like EDM to part with. Then again, adding a franchise player never comes cheap.

I'd have to say I wouldn't do it though.
aww COME ON! "We're rebuilding" isn't a reason to not do the proposed deal. "We're rebuilding" is the perfect reason to do this deal. Thornton's 24. Smith's 30; Laraque's 27 and barely useful. Neither guy is irreplaceable. Draft picks are a gamble; and while Pouliot might be good (I wouldn't know) acquiring an *elite* 24 year old at the same position would make him expendible. Thornton's the perfect age to fit in with the core the Oilers are building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
With Salo and Oates off the payroll next season, that frees up $5.5 million right there. Moving Laraque and Smith in this deal frees up the money to pay for our next goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
No we can't afford him. "But what if we move Smyth, Brewer... etc. then we free up $$". No it doesn't work that way. If one player is making 1/6 of the company payroll, then you're putting all of your eggs in one basket. One injury. One holdout. And that's one sixth of the Oiler payroll down the tubes. Face facts dudes. Thornton is out of our payscale. Stop dreaming.
Ok, now this makes more sense. Hey, you, get off of my cloud!!

The real problem with acquiring a Joe Thornton (aside from the fact that, you-know, the Bruins would never consider it...) is that we'd be locked into it. If people were upset with Mike Comrie trying to shake down the team, well, imagine how much leverage Thornton would have when he gets ready to negotiate his new contract this summer. If we'd given up that much to acquire him and he says "you know, I'd kind of like $9 million," what are you going to do?

Old
01-05-2004, 10:42 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
aww COME ON! "We're rebuilding" isn't a reason to not do the proposed deal. "We're rebuilding" is the perfect reason to do this deal. Thornton's 24. Smith's 30; Laraque's 27 and barely useful. Neither guy is irreplaceable. Draft picks are a gamble; and while Pouliot might be good (I wouldn't know) acquiring an *elite* 24 year old at the same position would make him expendible. Thornton's the perfect age to fit in with the core the Oilers are building.

The real problem with acquiring a Joe Thornton (aside from the fact that, you-know, the Bruins would never consider it...) is that we'd be locked into it. If people were upset with Mike Comrie trying to shake down the team, well, imagine how much leverage Thornton would have when he gets ready to negotiate his new contract this summer. If we'd given up that much to acquire him and he says "you know, I'd kind of like $9 million," what are you going to do?
basically your bottom paragraph is the reason I don't think he makes sense for EDM.

Thornton makes 5.5 mil this year, that's a good chunk of change, especially if he actually perfroms and then commands 7-8 mil afterwards. The team won't really be ready to compete for the cup for 2-3-4 years yet. If EDM were a bit closer to contending now I could see how it would make sense.

I would still be tempted though, he's a heck of a player and still quite young. He's too developed though. A guy like Weiss or Staal would be a better bet for the Oilers IMO. Cheaper to acquire in assets and in $$$ contract, but more risk that they won't pan out fully.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:48 AM
speeds

bump

Old
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I would still be tempted though, he's a heck of a player and still quite young. He's too developed though. A guy like Weiss or Staal would be a better bet for the Oilers IMO. Cheaper to acquire in assets and in $$$ contract, but more risk that they won't pan out fully.
During the beginning of the season when Comrie first decided to hold out and a trade was beginning to look inevitable, I was hoping we'd attempt a trade for Weiss. Back then, he was in the minors and was in Dudley's doghouse. Too bad he was called up and played exceptionally, thus reducing the chances of a trade to nil.
Damn he'd look good in an Oilers uniform.

Closed Thread