HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Shame on USA networks...

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Baron Von Shark

vCash: 500
Shame on USA networks...

Shame on USA networks for not airing this championship game. I don't know how TV scheduling works, but couldn't they have alotted a time slot so that should they US team make it to the finals, at least air one friggin game? Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs. (Like I said, I'm not even saying they should have aired multiple games, but they should've planned for an 'if USA makes it to the finals' scenario.)

Old
01-04-2004, 09:15 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Shark
Shame on USA networks for not airing this championship game. I don't know how TV scheduling works, but couldn't they have alotted a time slot so that should they US team make it to the finals, at least air one friggin game? Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs. (Like I said, I'm not even saying they should have aired multiple games, but they should've planned for an 'if USA makes it to the finals' scenario.)
Maybe the WJCs aren't "realityTV" enough for american audiences?
They should ask Olesz about that.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Oy, that sucks for the US if they're not airing the games. Football on the other hand?

~Canucklehead~

01-04-2004, 10:16 PM
The Rage

Quote:
I can understand airing more popular sports over hockey, but when they have billiard championships, spelling bee's and so on on these networks, I'm surprised they can't make room for this.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Jerome Bechard

Quote:
Anyone with a Direct TV dish, the gold medal game is on the nhl channel(747 for me)

Old
01-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Bechard
Anyone with a Direct TV dish, the gold medal game is on the nhl channel(747 for me)
me too, guys do yourself a favor and get Directv it's worth it

Old
01-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Oy, that sucks for the US if they're not airing the games. Football on the other hand?

~Canucklehead~
They should be able to catch a couple of High school playoffs game's

Old
01-05-2004, 04:15 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I can understand airing more popular sports over hockey, but when they have billiard championships, spelling bee's and so on on these networks, I'm surprised they can't make room for this.
I'd love to see ESPN show at least the final. But the sad thing is billiards and spelling bee would probably get a higher rating than any hockey game in the U.S., let alone a junior hockey game. They might mention the game on sportcenter, but most people wouldnt even know there was a junior tournament going on, let alone take time out of a back-to-work Monday to sit down and watch the game.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:16 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17

~Canucklehead~
Football, the most popular sport in the country?

I'd say 99.9% of the American population don't know the WJCs exist.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Football, the most popular sport in the country?

I'd say 99.9% of the American population don't know the WJCs exist.

What always kills me about threads like this is they tend to be started by Canadians, NOT Americans. We get it guys, you feel bad for us..... Any self respecting hockey fan in this country should have satellite, if you do all of this moot. If you don't, well..........

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 01-05-2004 at 05:57 AM.
Old
01-05-2004, 04:48 AM
kov

I imagine there are people out there living in apartment buildings that won't allow you to install a dish. Still other people live in urban areas where they don't have the right exposure to receive signals. Just because someone doesn't have a dish doesn't mean they haven't tried.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that if they were a real hockey fan they'd move?

Old
01-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

The real question is, will they show the World Championships this summer?

And Rabid Ranger is right, if you are a hockey fan in the US a satellite dish is imperitive

Old
01-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
The real question is, will they show the World Championships this summer?

And Rabid Ranger is right, if you are a hockey fan in the US a satellite dish is imperitive

ESPN and ESPN 2 are airing the World Cup of Hockey.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:01 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov
I imagine there are people out there living in apartment buildings that won't allow you to install a dish. Still other people live in urban areas where they don't have the right exposure to receive signals. Just because someone doesn't have a dish doesn't mean they haven't tried.

Can't they get digital cable? I don't know much about these types of things (I stick to my regular cable) but wouldn't that work?

Old
01-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov

Yes I suggest that! I mean come on guys if you can't get the game try and go to a bar that has the Center Ice Package.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:20 AM
rwinger

Can anyone give me the channel number on which this game will be shown on Dish Network w/Center Ice? My program guide does not list this game at all.

Thanks

Old
01-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Can't they get digital cable? I don't know much about these types of things (I stick to my regular cable) but wouldn't that work?
It would work if they bought the NHL Center package that the digital cable provides. I'm pretty sure it's the same price to buy it off digital cable as it is to get it off directv. Cause when I was living in an apartment when my house was getting built I couldn't have a dish so I had to get digital cable and I got the package and saw the games just fine.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinger
Can anyone give me the channel number on which this game will be shown on Dish Network w/Center Ice? My program guide does not list this game at all.

Thanks
DirecTV channel 747

Old
01-05-2004, 06:26 AM
rwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshaf
DirecTV channel 747
Thanks but I wanted for the Dish Network not Directv.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:27 AM
ceber

I'm not so surprised it's not televised nationally on ESPN2 or an alternate.. they just don't care much. What chaps me is that there aren't any regional networks covering it. FSN North, for example. I mean, I can see some network meathead thinking cheerleading or something might get more viewers nationally speaking, but I bet a lot of people in MN/ND/WI/MI (and the Northeast, too) would tune in if they could.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I'm not so surprised it's not televised nationally on ESPN2 or an alternate.. they just don't care much. What chaps me is that there aren't any regional networks covering it. FSN North, for example. I mean, I can see some network meathead thinking cheerleading or something might get more viewers nationally speaking, but I bet a lot of people in MN/ND/WI/MI (and the Northeast, too) would tune in if they could.
agreed

Old
01-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
sorry man the best thing I can tell you too is to keep it on the channels that hockey is usually on and you might find it....

Old
01-05-2004, 06:33 AM
ceber

Quote:
I'd heard that it wasn't on one of the regular center ice channels on Dish, but on one of the ppv sports ones. Just something I'd heard, could be wrong.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Dr Love

Shame on USA Networks? How about a little reality? It wouldn't pull a 1.0 rating in the US. The WJC is a total niche market in the US. The NHL itself doesn't draw, kids that the public has never heard of would draw even less.

EDIT: one other thing. Most of us are at work right now, so we couldn't watch it if we wanted to.

Last edited by Dr Love: 01-05-2004 at 07:25 AM.
Old
01-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Mr_Hockeytown19

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Hockeytown19
the best solution is to create an online petition

Quote:
and get a ******** of names on it to show espn the wjc is of interest to usa fans.every game SHOULD be aired,if lebron gets a high school game on tv,the wjc are more worthy.anyone agreeing with me lets set it up.

Closed Thread