HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Esposito's New Book

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 12:29 AM
The Flash

vCash: 500
Phil Esposito's New Book

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to read Espo's book, titled: Thunder and Lightning.

Not sure if it was posted already but here is a tidbit from the book (paraphrased)

Espo says that when Clarke signed Gratton, he and Clarke had negotiated Brind Amour, Renberg and Dykhuis as compensation.

The next day, he calls Clarke... "So, what do you think about the deal?"

Bob: "Oh, it's already a done deal"
Espo: "What do you mean, already a done deal"
Bob: "Oh, you don't know... Ed (Snyder) talked to Otto (Tampa Team President at the time) last night and they completed the deal.
Espo: "What was the deal?"
Bob: "Gratton for Renberg, Dykhuis and Dan Kordic"
Esp: "WTF, you gotta be kidding me.... that's not the F$$$ing deal we agreed upon!!!"
Bob: "I know... but Snyder said that is the deal, and nothing I can do about it now."

Pretty interesting read, to be honest. Esposito also talks about how he had deals worked out for Gretz and Messier worked out for Rangers and for Cujo while with the Lightning, only to be undermined by management.

The book won't win any Pulitzers, but it's worth picking up if you have a few hours to kill. (trust me... the writing is pretty large. It doesn't take that long to get thru)

Old
01-05-2004, 02:00 PM
54fightin

the book...

should be listed under fiction. He mentions a trade with Carolina for Brindamour that is out of context time wise. I apologize but I don't remember the exact details from the book but by the time Brindy was in Carolina, Espo was out as the Tampa Bay GM. Some of his personal comments about his ex-wife and current wife were tacky but then he never did have any class. I read the book in Borders and glad I didn't pay for it. He tried to cover his ass on everything that ever happened, in the book he said he originally had a deal with Clarke of Brindy, Dykhuis and Renberg for Gratton. And then he said the owners got involved and took out Brindy and added Kordic. He then goes on to trash Kordic.

Old
01-05-2004, 02:01 PM
blah

lol you managed to read an entire book inside the store?

Old
01-05-2004, 04:03 PM
54fightin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
lol you managed to read an entire book inside the store?
just the parts about the Flyers and a couple of other sections. It is a quick read and Phil didn't use (know?) any big words.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:21 PM
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
should be listed under fiction. He mentions a trade with Carolina for Brindamour that is out of context time wise. I apologize but I don't remember the exact details from the book but by the time Brindy was in Carolina, Espo was out as the Tampa Bay GM. Some of his personal comments about his ex-wife and current wife were tacky but then he never did have any class. I read the book in Borders and glad I didn't pay for it. He tried to cover his ass on everything that ever happened, in the book he said he originally had a deal with Clarke of Brindy, Dykhuis and Renberg for Gratton. And then he said the owners got involved and took out Brindy and added Kordic. He then goes on to trash Kordic.
I don't remember him mentioning any deal involving Brind Amour while he was in Carolina. I thought Espo just said that Brindy is now in Carolina and Cujo is now a star. He had a pretty fair assessment of Kordic. He said that guy makes $450,000+ and he can't skate. He didnt even want the guy in the deal.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:27 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash
I don't remember him mentioning any deal involving Brind Amour while he was in Carolina. I thought Espo just said that Brindy is now in Carolina and Cujo is now a star. He had a pretty fair assessment of Kordic. He said that guy makes $450,000+ and he can't skate. He didnt even want the guy in the deal.
Now, I may be a tad bias on Kordic, but he was on a line with Dan Lacroix and Scott Daniels in the Stanley Cup finals and they ALL contributed to wins leading up to that. He may not be a great skater, but when you needed someone to beat the crap out of someone, there weren't too many others who could do it like him.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:49 AM
AdamK

vCash:
Espo's book

There's one story Espo left out of the book. When the Devils and Lightning played in the playoffs (can't remember the year), one of the Devils beat writers was a woman named Kisha. She and Espo got into a pretty heated argument, and I think the last think he said to her was something to the extent of, I wouldn't talk to you if you stood on your head. There were other sexist and rude remarks, one of the Florida papers published the incident, and Espo was fined by the league. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

Also, when asked about the Espo book, Clarke denied the most of what Espo wrote. Granted, Clarke isn't the most honest guy in the business, but I tend to believe him over Espo.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK
There's one story Espo left out of the book. When the Devils and Lightning played in the playoffs (can't remember the year), one of the Devils beat writers was a woman named Kisha. She and Espo got into a pretty heated argument, and I think the last think he said to her was something to the extent of, I wouldn't talk to you if you stood on your head. There were other sexist and rude remarks, one of the Florida papers published the incident, and Espo was fined by the league. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

Also, when asked about the Espo book, Clarke denied the most of what Espo wrote. Granted, Clarke isn't the most honest guy in the business, but I tend to believe him over Espo.
Prior to this year, the Lightning made the playoffs once, and played the Flyers. So it wasn't against the Devils, or it wasn't in the playoffs.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
Now, I may be a tad bias on Kordic, but he was on a line with Dan Lacroix and Scott Daniels in the Stanley Cup finals and they ALL contributed to wins leading up to that. He may not be a great skater, but when you needed someone to beat the crap out of someone, there weren't too many others who could do it like him.
I'll try to be gentle here since you're a Dan K fan, but the DAN Line was possibly the worst line in Flyer history, and certainly a major weakness once the Flyers got up against the 4-line Red Wings in the SCF. We only had 3 lines and it hurt us. They didn't really contribute much at all, except to boost up the team's average height and weight, and PIMs.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
I'll try to be gentle here since you're a Dan K fan, but the DAN Line was possibly the worst line in Flyer history, and certainly a major weakness once the Flyers got up against the 4-line Red Wings in the SCF. We only had 3 lines and it hurt us. They didn't really contribute much at all, except to boost up the team's average height and weight, and PIMs.
Had a great name though. I wouldn't say it was the worst in Flyer history. I'd imagine the 4th lines in the 90s playoff drought, with stiffs like Claude Boivin, Vyacheslav Butsayev (oh why did Quebec take Forsberg and not Butsayev! ), etc. could have been worse. My god looking back on those teams, the names on defense are so bad.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
Thanks for being gentle

I think maybe you're being a little harsh on their talent level. I never said they carried a game, they contributed. The problem didn't come down to the other lines being tired, scared yes, but not tired. The rest of the team either didn't come to play or were just outplayed by the Red Wings. It was not because of the Dan line.

Why would you want to rewrite history?

Closed Thread