HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Headaches/Cancers in the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Nobody in Jersey gives the team any headaches anymore. Danton is gone and so is Arnott. Those were the two that did their fair share of public complaining and both got the boot quickly after doing it.
A large reason behind NJD's success, IMO. Team over individual. So old school, it's novel today. And refreshing in the Egocentric "I-Me-Mine" sports era in which athlete somehow = celebrity.

Some guys can't cut it in Lou's system. Just as some can't play for Bill Parcells, or Joe Torre, etc. Funny how those three all have winning in common.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
He locked a player out of camp who was willing to train without a contract...a sign that an agreement was close.

He asked a free agent to pay for his own trade. That is the big killer here.
1. "Lowe said having Comrie playing with his linemates would disrupt the team if he left when the season started."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030912/nhl_edm-cp.html

2. It was a simple request that was blown way out of proportion by the media.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 01-05-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old
01-05-2004, 11:37 PM
phil76

the nhl=gary bettman

what a headache

Old
01-05-2004, 11:45 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76
the nhl=gary bettman

what a headache
Yet another soul who doesn't understand what Gary Bettman's role is.

The man doesn't make hockey decisions. His Board of Governors (ie: owners) make those decisions for him.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 01-07-2004 at 02:18 AM. Reason: personal insult removed
Old
01-06-2004, 01:01 AM
feff

Send a message via Yahoo to feff
Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
1. "Lowe said having Comrie playing with his linemates would disrupt the team if he left when the season started."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030912/nhl_edm-cp.html

2. It was a simple request that was blown way out of proportion by the media.
OK. Keep drinking Lowe's kool-aid. He's put your franchise back on the brink of rebuilding. He knew that Comrie had requested a trade. But instead of quietly dealing with it in the summer (when Comrie's value would have netted the Oil a good roster player), he held on to him for some kind of egomanical revenge, spread rumours about him in the press that he was a choker (further devaluing an asset) and then blackmailed him with a ridiculous out clause.

Lowe's job is asset management, and all that he's got to show for Weight, Niiniima and Comrie are Reasonser (a decent third liner), Isbister (either a fourth line plugger or a decent second banger, recently I think he's more of the former), Torres (looks promising but currently doesn't have the impact of any of the original three). Woywitka may be good, may be not. For a team looking at the playoffs, though, to not even have a stud regular replacement for one of these three is horrible asset management.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:01 AM
zeppelin97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Yet another soul who doesn't understand what Gary Bettman's role is.

The man doesn't make hockey decisions. His Board of Governors (ie: owners) make those decisions for him.
So they're paying Bettman over 6 million per year to do nothing?

Actually, indicating Bettman doesn't make decisions shows how weak he appears to be to many of us. He makes decisions, but they're all pasty band-aids. He lacks a clear vision to truly improve the NHL.

Board of Governors, hardcore fans, longtime NHL enthusiasts all love the game as is, and noone really wants to change and modify the sport. Bettman often appeases the Board because he's WEAK. He's no leader.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 01-07-2004 at 02:20 AM. Reason: quoted, previously edited potshot removed
Old
01-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

This thread reminded me of a quote from Matt Schnieder after he was traded from the Habs to the Isles. When asked if he thought he was percieved as a cancer in the Habs locker room, he answered "No, I'm a Gemini."

Old
01-06-2004, 02:24 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Jason Allison

I can't wait for the guy to leave. Now I know how Philly fans felt with Lindros.

And to think I used to have to argue with fellow Kings fans on who the Franchise player was (Palffy vs. Allison)

Palffy is not only a better hockey player (by far), but he always handles himself in a professional manner, never whines to the media, just goes out and does his job. Allison whines to the media and tried to dictate lines at the start of last season.

I wish we had kept Glen Murray.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:49 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
For us:

Regier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Satan
Boulton (personally)

NHL, cmon, obvioulsy Jagr.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:40 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
I would take a guess that this is more of a Keith Tkajerk problem than a Brent Johnson problem. They still hate him in Winnipeg for his primadonna attitude.
Your guess is wrong.

Tkachuk has been anything but a cancer in St. Louis. You really should get over stuff that he did 5+ years ago.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by feff
OK. Keep drinking Lowe's kool-aid. He's put your franchise back on the brink of rebuilding. He knew that Comrie had requested a trade. But instead of quietly dealing with it in the summer (when Comrie's value would have netted the Oil a good roster player), he held on to him for some kind of egomanical revenge, spread rumours about him in the press that he was a choker (further devaluing an asset) and then blackmailed him with a ridiculous out clause.

Lowe's job is asset management, and all that he's got to show for Weight, Niiniima and Comrie are Reasonser (a decent third liner), Isbister (either a fourth line plugger or a decent second banger, recently I think he's more of the former), Torres (looks promising but currently doesn't have the impact of any of the original three). Woywitka may be good, may be not. For a team looking at the playoffs, though, to not even have a stud regular replacement for one of these three is horrible asset management.
What are you talking about? Lowe held onto Comrie until he found a deal that was best for the Oilers. "Egomanical revenge?" Give me a break.

Lowe spread rumors that he was a choker? I live in the city and not once did I hear that. Kevin repeatedly said MC was a good kid and a good, young hockey player. The $2.535 million request was just that: a request, a simple one in fact. Lowe was pissed off at how the media made it into something it wasn't.

Brink of rebuilding? R i g h t. Lowe is building the Oilers for a post-CBA run.

Isbister is a fourth line plugger or a decent second banger? Funny how he's been on the first line with Smyth and Oates recently and is playing better than ever. Reasoner was one of the reasons the Oilers were able to move Marchant up to the first line last year when Comrie was injured. Marty is far more than the "decent third liner" you label him as. He's a good checking centre (RPM line has done a fine job since it was put together), can play on the powerplay, and is one of the team's best penalty killers.

And you're wrong about the players Lowe got in the Weight and Comrie trades.

Weight = Reasoner, Stoll, Deslauriers, and Horacek
Comrie = Woywitka, Oates (money was available because Comrie wouldn't sign), a 1st-round draft pick this year, and a 3rd-rounder next year

I guess that's not as good of a return as what the former GM in your city got for Savard.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 01-06-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old
01-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
We don't seem to have that problem on the Wings...if any one was even remotely close to being a headache it was probably Fedorov, but even he was just a minor glitch.

Love having a team with no ego problems.
What about Dominik Hasek? Isn't he being *****y towards Cujo?

Old
01-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
And you're wrong about the players Lowe got in the Weight and Comrie trades.

Weight = Reasoner, Stoll, Deslauriers, and Horacek
Comrie = Woywitka, Oates (money was available because Comrie wouldn't sign), a 1st-round draft pick this year, and a 3rd-rounder next year

I guess that's not as good of a return as what the former GM in your city got for Savard.
You don't seriously believe that the return on Weight was actually a great one. Lowe got a group or prospects back, but none of them are bluechip.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:39 AM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBLee82
Dave Taylor, a good player but a crappy GM. He has made horrific choices with the Kings.
A crappy GM??? I strongly disagree. When he became GM he turned the Kings into a respectable organization again. Look at what he's done through drafting... the Kings have one of the best groups of prospects in the league (Brown, Grebeshkov, Gleason through a trade, Aulin, Cammalleri and Frolov though no longer prospects, Kanko, Pushkarov, Boyle, Tambellini... etc) The future looks very bright. What kinds of horrible choices are you talking about?

He is far from being the headache on this team. If you want to choose the biggest head case, you can look no further than Jason Allison. That SOB needs to shut his pie hole. I'm tired of hearing his primadonna bs in the media. He is becoming a distraction and cancer to the team. He's a non-roster player and is no where near the ice nor has he even played a game in almost a year. That should tell you who the headache is for the Kings.

Last edited by LuckyLUC20: 01-06-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old
01-06-2004, 09:06 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Other than that, I wouldn't say that any current Blues player is a cancer. The most recent one to leave the team would be Mike Keane. He was a **** disturber here in St. Louis.
Tkachuk would be more a prob than Keane on any team in any country.
Keane is a natural leader (as he was in Moose Jaw on a team with fleury and odelein and as he is now in Van) whereas Tkachuk is a loud-mouth egoist (as he was in Winnipeg, Phoenix, Nagano).

Old
01-06-2004, 09:08 AM
c-carp

I generally dont like that term, but Brent Johnson fits for the Blues. He is playing absolutely horrible for the Blues and had the unmitigated gaul to turn down a conditioning stint in Worcester, that would have ben the best thing for both he and the team.

Apparently he thinks he would be batter served sitting on the bench picking splinters out of his ass, then he would be going down getting ice time and trying to fix his game.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:11 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Your guess is wrong.

Tkachuk has been anything but a cancer in St. Louis. You really should get over stuff that he did 5+ years ago.
Some people just cant or wont let it go, Chris.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:17 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Keane is a natural leader (as he was in Moose Jaw on a team with fleury and odelein and as he is now in Van) whereas Tkachuk is a loud-mouth egoist (as he was in Winnipeg, Phoenix, Nagano).
I know all of the stories about Keane beaing a great leader, but the fact is that he didnt fit in in STL and was generally disliked by all in the locker room. The fact that Tkachuk has grew up and has been great in STL and never caused a problem in STL seems to be a concept some of you cannot grasp. Sometimes a change of senery really helps a player? Also Whatever happened In Winnipeg Phoenix the guy has changed. Aas for the stuff in Nagano, sure it wasnt right but he wasnt the only guy who got pissed and trashed that room. (If he even was in the group the US team did the right thing and kept it in house and never revealed names.)Whoever was involved that was one incident that some people make a Mountain out of a molehill about.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
He is far from being the headache on this team. If you want to choose the biggest head case, you can look no further than Jason Allison. That SOB needs to shut his pie hole. I'm tired of hearing his primadonna bs in the media. He is becoming a distraction and cancer to the team. He's a non-roster player and is no where near the ice nor has he even played a game in almost a year. That should tell you who the headache is for the Kings.
How is Jason Allison a headcase when he's out with post concussion syndrome?

Old
01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Stephen

Anyway, I think Shayne Corson was a huge cancer to the Leafs. After the Leafs shipped him out and got rid of Green, they seem to be a much tighter and a much happier bunch.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
he has headaches, but the cancer portion is no longer a problem.

I would think that 3 straight years of no problems whatsoever along with the fatc that te parents have not uttered a word should tell you all you need to know about the Lindros and Flyers thing was more to do with the player and GM and no one else.

Headaches? yes.

Cancer? No.
Ah, so it was the GMs fault Lindros boinked Brind'amour's wife? Got it.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:56 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
It was well documented in St. Louis that Keane was a cancer in the locker room. Pleau couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He publicly spoke out negatively about his teammates, including his captain.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:57 AM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
How is Jason Allison a headcase when he's out with post concussion syndrome?
First of all, he's never had PCS. They misdiagnosed it. He did not suffer a concussion. He has Post-migraine disorder.

Secondly, if you were a Kings fan, you'd know what I'm talking about. He is another version of Eric Lindros. He calls the coach out in the press even though he hasn't even stepped foot onto the ice this season, his attitude sucks and is getting on everyone's nerves. To get a feel for why Kings fans are tired of Allison, just read this thread: http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=46298

Old
01-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
You don't seriously believe that the return on Weight was actually a great one. Lowe got a group or prospects back, but none of them are bluechip.
I never said the return was great, nor did I hint towards thinking it was great.

Reasoner - made it easier for Oiler fans to say good-bye to Marchant, is great with Moreau and Pisani as a checking line, can play on the PP, and is an excellent PKer

Deslauriers - Edmonton's top prospect, 'nuff said

Stoll - will be captain of the Oilers one day, has done a nice job filling in for Marty

Horacek - don't know much about him, so I won't comment, lol

Old
01-06-2004, 03:19 PM
HBLee82

Send a message via AIM to HBLee82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Jason Allison

I can't wait for the guy to leave. Now I know how Philly fans felt with Lindros.

And to think I used to have to argue with fellow Kings fans on who the Franchise player was (Palffy vs. Allison)

Palffy is not only a better hockey player (by far), but he always handles himself in a professional manner, never whines to the media, just goes out and does his job. Allison whines to the media and tried to dictate lines at the start of last season.

I wish we had kept Glen Murray.
I totally agree, Jason Allison needs to move on out of LA. I'm sick of hearing him complain. The Kings need to take him off their merchandise. He's not even playing yet he and Deadmarsh are all over Staples Center. And people worship him at Kings games, he's not even that good.

Closed Thread