HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

My Hart Trophy winner so far...

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 03:16 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
My Hart Trophy winner so far...

When I think about the MVP, I think about the one person that has done the most for there team, to try and take them where they need to go. IMO, there has been no bigger contributor to there team than Roberto Luongo.

Luongo has played 36 of the 41 games this season, has a .933 save % and a 2.20 gaa, while facing a league high 1200 shots. He has kept the Panthers in games they shouldnt have been in, and has made it a routine to have a highlight save every night. The Panthers are catching steam and are only five points out of the eight spot. If they make the playoffs, which I think they will, Luongo should get serious consideration for the Hart trophy.

Old
01-05-2004, 04:27 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

This is a very unusual pick, but if the Oilers had a better record I would go with Mike York. Talk about the heart and soul of that team!

Old
01-05-2004, 04:37 AM
blah

Without Luongo FLA would probably be in the Ovechekin sweepstakes. It'll still go to a player on a better team though.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
I can see him having a campaign similar to that of Theodore in 2001-02. If he keeps this up and the Cats squeak into the playoffs, he could get an extended look....while his stats will likely remain strong, I don't see Florida making the playoffs (not to knock on the team or anything, I just don't think it will happen)...I honestly don't think he will win the Hart...

I honestly don'y have a fav for the Hart at this time....though some names that come to mind are Broduer, Sundin, Palffy and Kovalchuk....

Old
01-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
sundin will win it.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
This is a very unusual pick, but if the Oilers had a better record I would go with Mike York. Talk about the heart and soul of that team!
Very unusual, indeed...

Old
01-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Face Wash

Without Palffy the Kings, who will break the franchise man-games lost to injury record they set last year, would be in the gutter right now.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:07 PM
btmarshall

vCash:
If I had a vote, I'd probably lobby for Pronger or Sakic through the first half. Both responded in a big way when their respective teams suffered some long-term injuries to key players early on.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
If Atlanta go in the playoff
my pick is Kovalchuk !
if not .. i'll go with brodeur ..

Old
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Mack

funny how noone is picking Sundin.
he is the MVP out of the East for sure.

brodeur? please...
Kovalchuk is a good choice but hasnt been as important to his team as Sundin has. the guy is automatic in the 3rd.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:31 PM
PigPen

My criteria for a Hart candidate is somebody that a team possibly cannot do without.

My top 3 candidates are, in no particular order...

Vokoun (always thought he was much better than Dunham whenever I saw him)
Kovalchuck
Sundin

None of their respective teams would be doing so well without them. Both Vokoun and Kovalchuck's teams would be lost without what they give night in night out.
The Maple leafs would still be called the "maple laughs" by some posters on this board if it weren't for Sundin taking that team on his back and singlehandedly turning a .500 franchise in the first 15 games of the season into one of the top 3.

Other noteables are...
Pronger
Palffy
Sakic
Datsyuk (homerish? a little...8 points in his first 14 games. Tore the league up since.)
All of these players have seen their respective team's rosters ripped apart by injuries. Each one of them has elevated their play to meet the challenges that awaited them during those times.

New Jersey would still be a very good team if Brodeur played 20 games or 70 games.
Florida would still be a below average team with or without luongo.
The capitals with or without Lang's scoring a point per game would still be one of the worst teams in the league.
The wings defense would still be solid if Lidstrom were gone from the lineup for a while. (Though I'd never want to see it happen!)

Old
01-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
Without Palffy the Kings, who will break the franchise man-games lost to injury record they set last year, would be in the gutter right now.

agreed.. I saw this thread and thought Palffy.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:06 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
New Jersey would still be a very good team if Brodeur played 20 games or 70 games.
You consider a team that is 17th in the league in goal scoring a "very good team". Because you know, when you don't have a goaltender that's better then anyone at keeping the puck out of the net, all the goals your team doesn't score comes back to haunt you.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:11 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
brodeur? please...

Kovalchuk is a good choice but hasnt been as important to his team as Sundin has. the guy is automatic in the 3rd.
Please. The Maple Leafs have a ton of guys that have played well for them this year. Ilya Kovalchuk IS the team down in Atlanta. He is far more intrical to the thrashers success then Sundin is to the Leafs.

Also, care to explain why Brodeur is such a bad pick for MVP considering that he has played better this year then last year, when he was a finalist for the Hart?

Old
01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
Not likely.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Not likely.
Yeah, sometimes I wish Brodeur had have gone Bobby Holik and left NJD just to show how valuable he really is, but its best that he stayed

Old
01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Please. The Maple Leafs have a ton of guys that have played well for them this year. Ilya Kovalchuk IS the team down in Atlanta. He is far more intrical to the thrashers success then Sundin is to the Leafs.

Also, care to explain why Brodeur is such a bad pick for MVP considering that he has played better this year then last year, when he was a finalist for the Hart?

I havent seen much of Kovalchuk this year. just his celebrating after his goals and when i look at the newspaper i see he's up there in points.

Sundin imo has been the leafs this year. I dont really like giving credit to the leafs but Sundin has been the MVP of that team and of the league so far imo. 6 game winners the guy is auto matic in overtime. 21 points in that 16 game team point streak. the captin of his team.

I dont think bordeur is the MVP of the devils the MVP of the devils is their team work and disaplin , they play probibly the most boring and stingiest style of play out there. they are a defensive team and (im NOT putting down brodeur he is a good goalie) the style of play mkes stats look great. but whatever im just a guy on a computer.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Fighter
Fighting my way

To candidates for hart Trophy so far IMO are:

Kovalchuk (but Atlanta MUST be in the playoff race)
and
Datsyuk (continue to impress anyone)

Old
01-05-2004, 10:32 PM
meehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I havent seen much of Kovalchuk this year. just his celebrating after his goals and when i look at the newspaper i see he's up there in points.

Sundin imo has been the leafs this year. I dont really like giving credit to the leafs but Sundin has been the MVP of that team and of the league so far imo. 6 game winners the guy is auto matic in overtime. 21 points in that 16 game team point streak. the captin of his team.

I dont think bordeur is the MVP of the devils the MVP of the devils is their team work and disaplin , they play probibly the most boring and stingiest style of play out there. they are a defensive team and (im NOT putting down brodeur he is a good goalie) the style of play mkes stats look great. but whatever im just a guy on a computer.

Obviously, you are the MVP of spelling and grammer.

OK, I will try and make a constructive post. When it comes to MVP "stats" aren't what should be used to judge how valuable a player is to his team. The player that is most responsible for making his team win should be the league MVP. In my opinion, the two players out there that are most responsible for making their teams win are Kovalchuk and Brodeur. Without Kovalchuk the thrashers would be at the bottom of their division, not the top of it. Without Brodeur, the Devils would be just another mediocre team that plays a "boring" system, like say the Minnesota Wild.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Go Habs Go

Andreas Dackell for sure!

Old
01-06-2004, 06:00 AM
arsobro

Brodeur has a tremendous years. My vote go for him.

Others notable: Ilya Kovalchuk
Ziggy Palffy

Old
01-06-2004, 06:09 AM
The Flying Pigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Obviously, you are the MVP of spelling and grammer.
I don't agree with Mack, but that's kind of an ironic statement seeing as how grammar is spelled without an "e".

My choices in no particular order are ones already mentioned: Ziggy, Brodeur, Dunham and Sundin. I'd probably give it to Sundin right now.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:13 AM
leafaholix*

Mike Dunham?

What?

Old
01-06-2004, 07:04 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
im with you there! his been collosal.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:08 AM
PEli*

Luongo, Palffy or Datsyuk.

I'd give it to Luongo if he can keep up what's been doing. Without him, the Panthers are near dead last in the EC.

Closed Thread