http://www.eagletribune.com/news/sto...104/SP_006.htm

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
01-05-2004, 06:46 AM
HockeyGoddess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I think it would be a HUGE disservice to the Bruins if they traded away Rolston and Axelsson for O'Neill and Svoboda. Can you say the Bruins would get raked over the coals on that one?

Rolston for O'Neill... yeah, maybe, but Axelsson for Svoboda??? No thank you. I watched Svoboda quite often when he played in Lowell, and continued watching him since he's stuck in Carolina. That just would *not* do.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
01-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Bruwinz37

I guess it would depend on how long O'Neil is signed for. If he is signed for two more years beyond this year than it might be worth it. He is 28 years old (in Feb), has a good track record and is a real competitor.

I dont know a lot about Svoboda, but he is 23, has put up some decent points in limited time....but for a defenseman that doesnt tell you what you want to know.

I have no issue giving up Rolston, but replacing PJ on the PK and third line is no easy task.

I would probably do this trade...but reluctantly.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:10 AM
HockeyGoddess

Jaroslav Svoboda is a winger, not a defenseman, and has 0 points in 15 games played for Carolina this season (he had 14 points (3 goals) in 48 games last season).

Old
01-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Jaroslav Svoboda is a winger, not a defenseman.
Oops....was I thinking of Petr?

I guess his numbers arent all that great then after all!!! LOL

Old
01-05-2004, 07:18 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I'd do Rolston-Axelsson for O'Neill and Brind'Amour.....No way on Svoboda...They'd have to up the ante....

Old
01-05-2004, 07:31 AM
JimmyV

Send a message via AIM to JimmyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
I'd do Rolston-Axelsson for O'Neill and Brind'Amour.....No way on Svoboda...They'd have to up the ante....
Rolston, Axellson for O'Neil and Vasicek

Old
01-05-2004, 07:57 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV
i'd do this deal in a second, but carolina won't
big joe is one of their building blocks

Old
01-05-2004, 02:13 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Sadly, Rolston probably should be traded, because as a UFA this July the Bruins brass will somehow not see his overall value and he'll head elsewhere anyway. I'd like to see the B's hang on to Axy because there's no one in the league quite like him. He is the ultimate 3rd line player.
Although Jeff O'Neill wearing a spoked B on a line with Thornton is very enticing, I personally would like to see them make trades for some already seasoned players in the age 24-26 range so that whomever they acquire will not become a UFA/burnt out on Boston...before the core group of Joe, Sammy, Jillson, Raycroft and Boynton do. I think the players that could legitmately bring a cup to Boston in the next 4 years are, for the most part, somewhere in the organization right now (Stuart, Bergeron, Jurcina, Toivonen, Morissonn) . It's going to take a couple of smart moves now and the willingness to keep the entire group together to accomplish it though. I think right now the Bruins can rebuild without really rebuilding from the ground up like they had to in 1997. There would be a lot less need for patchwork projects like Grosek and Green and the team would remain quite competitive this year if they played hard....that's the hardest part though I guess. I think it's just time to finally put a plan in place for the abundance of promising players we currently have between the ages of 20-25. If the B's do that we could get lucky before they get rich.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:12 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV
funny when HG was talking deal I was thinking of Vasicek instead of Svoboda. I'm a huge Ax fan and really like O'Neill. This deal I'd do- the other no way.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Mizral

What reason would the Canes have to trade O'Neil for Rolston? Rolston is a UFA to be next season. I know O'Neil is struggling, but that's terrible bang for their buck.

Brind'amour could most certainly be traded though. I could see him gone for a guy like Axelsson even. Brindy just makes way too much money right now.

Old
01-07-2004, 03:07 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Rumour - Rolston/Ax - O'Neill/Svoboda

HURRICANES-BRUINS PLANNING A DEAL?

EAGLE-TRIBUNE ONLINE: Russ Conway reported on Sunday the Carolina Hurricanes are trying to obtain forwards Brian Rolston and PJ Axelsson from the Boston Bruins. Conway claims forwards "Jeff O'Neill and Jarislav Svoboda are trade bait".

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Francois". It was believed the recent coaching change in Carolina would bolster O'Neill's offence, but he remains mired in his season-long slump. Rolston is slated to become a UFA next summer and we know the Bruins track record when it comes to retaining UFAs. Still, this deal wouldn't address the Bruins most pressing need: obtaining a good two-way blueliner to anchor their powerplay.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

Old
01-07-2004, 03:35 AM
BronxBruin

While I would love to see Jeff O'Neill on the Bruins, I don't see why Carolina would do this deal. Carolina is a rebuilding team and I can't see them trading a 27 year old O'Neill and 23 year old Svoboda for a 30 year old Rolston and 28 year old Axelsson. Factor into the equation that 1) O'Neill is their leading scorer and best offensive player and 2) Rolston is a UFA at the end of the year and it just doesn't seem likely. Boston would likely have to add something significant to the deal in order for it to work.

Old
01-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin
While I would love to see Jeff O'Neill on the Bruins, I don't see why Carolina would do this deal. Carolina is a rebuilding team and I can't see them trading a 27 year old O'Neill and 23 year old Svoboda for a 30 year old Rolston and 28 year old Axelsson. Factor into the equation that 1) O'Neill is their leading scorer and best offensive player and 2) Rolston is a UFA at the end of the year and it just doesn't seem likely. Boston would likely have to add something significant to the deal in order for it to work.
that's a big yes for me!

Old
01-07-2004, 04:39 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
I think it would be an interesting trade.

That would give you top 3 lines something like this:

Samsonov-Thornton-Bergeron
Knuble-O'Neil-Murray
Svboda-?-Lapointe

Not sure how that 3rd line works out. Although O'Neil has struggled in recent times, he is probably the best player in this trade. We get younger and O'Neil is more dynamic than Rolston. Not sure about losing Axelsson, though I think he has plateaud.

I guess I'd do it, but I'm not sure about Svboda. Would prefer someone else.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Gator Mike

Man, I'd HATE losing PJ, but I think I'd have to do this trade.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:46 AM
misterjaggers
Puma

Axelsson has to be one of the most underrated players in the NHL. His stats don't tell the story. Axelsson provides so many intangibles. This team tanked when he was injured.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:46 AM
bb_fan

With how how bad our pk has been i'd hate to lose PJ and Roslton at the same time........I'd rather keep PJ and try to pawn something else off.

Plus PJ is one of those guys that seems to wqork hard and play hard every night, ya know, that thing that Sullivan and MOC has been talking about and looking looking to reward players for.

Nice reward, get traded.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:53 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Most Canes fans would disagree of this deal, but I'd like a good prospect or draft picks to complete such a trade. Of course that goes by the "everyone else over-rates O'Neill (and Svoboda) but me" philosophy. I'd take it straight up with no crying.

Rolston is a good player that would seem to fit in perfectly, and I've always loved how P.J. plays hard. I'd do it, just to get rid of O'Neill. Even though Rolston is an impending UFA, I think he would like it here and would be re-signed by Rutherford for whatever it takes.

Carolina is not a rebuilding team. Not yet. Btw, I started another thread in the Hurricanes forum:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=41669

Btw, what the heck happened to the original heading of this thread?

Last edited by HughJass*: 01-07-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old
01-07-2004, 05:25 AM
HockeyGoddess

The two threads were merged because they both discuss the Axelsson-Rolston/O'Neill/Svoboda trade, referencing Russ Conway's article from Sunday.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:26 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Thanks for the clarification, HG

Old
01-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Wgrandall

I might be in the minority, but I don't think I'd do this trade. Not because the value isn't there, but because it's not a move that helps us. We lose our two best defensive forwards in the process, and also we lose yet another center in Rolston.

I would do Rolston for O'Neil (with picks and/or prospects filling it out obviously), but only then because Rolston is going to be a UFA. Mainly I don't want to give up Axelsson WITH Rolston. And Svoboda just doesn't jump out at me right now. It's a step back, not forward, in my eyes.

Rolston vs O'neil- offensively O'neil is better, but Rolston still has put up in the last 3 years: 31, 27, and this year will probably be in the 25-27 goal range. And he's good for 60 pts a year since coming here. O'neil is good for 30 goals (he had 1, 41 goal season though), but he is struggling in the goal department more that Joe is at this point with only 4 in 40 games. And he's good for around 65 pts a year. Jeff is younger and likes to hit, while Rolston is older and a soon to be UFA, but also better defensively. O'neil has the best value over all for sure, but is it the better value for THIS team as it stands? I'm not sure I can say yes.

Axelsson and Svoboda- we know what Axe brings...10-15 goals and a very steady defense. He is out #1 PKer with out doubt, and almost without question our #1 defensive forward. Svoboda- He's 23, an 8th round pick, who has not done much to this point. He's good defensively, but the jury is out on his offense. He just doesn't jump out as someone I would want at this point. I'd rather take a chance with some of our kids first.

Plus, as the article states, we don't add the one thing we really need- a top flight d-man, and for that matter, a second line center (and instead actually lose a center!).

Plus, as someone stated, why would Carolina do this?

I think the only part of this trade which makes sense for us is getting rid of a UFA, but do we become a better team? I don't see it.

I would have no problem at all trading Rolston (Or Axelsson, or anyone, for that matter), but I'd want it to be for something which we need: A good puck moving D-man or a second line center.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
I think it would be an interesting trade.

That would give you top 3 lines something like this:

Samsonov-Thornton-Bergeron
Knuble-O'Neil-Murray
Svboda-?-Lapointe

Not sure how that 3rd line works out. Although O'Neil has struggled in recent times, he is probably the best player in this trade. We get younger and O'Neil is more dynamic than Rolston. Not sure about losing Axelsson, though I think he has plateaud.

I guess I'd do it, but I'm not sure about Svboda. Would prefer someone else.
I would put O'Neil with Thornton and Knuble and then put Samsonov with Bergeron and Murray. Two very nice lines. I would use Green as a third line center. The guy takes a lot of heat, but he has won some key faceoffs all year for us. Green, Lapointe, Svoboda might not be too bad of a line. Grosek, McCarthy and Donato.

I would do this trade.....but I would love this trade if we threw in a third rd pick and they gave us Bob Bougnher.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Broonzfanz

B's - Canes Rumor

Russ Conway repoted on the weekend that Carolina is trying to get Rolston and Axellson from us and shopping O' Neill and Svoboda. We should try and convince the canes to send us O' Neill and Markov or Hedican, even if we have to throw in a prospect. Then we could try and get someone like Isbister or Geoff Sanderson to take Axellsons spot.

Knuble - Thornton - Murray
Samsonov - Bergeron - O'Neill
Isbister/Sanderson - Green - Lapointe
Mccarthy - Donato - Grosek/Huml

Markov/Hedican - Boynton
Jillson - McGillis
Odonnell - Gill
Morrisonn

Any Thoughts

Old
01-07-2004, 06:37 AM
misterjaggers