Notices

Sergei Samsonov

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 07:11 AM
The-Godfather

vCash: 500
Sergei Samsonov

I have heard a little bit of chatter lately over how we should trade Sergei Samsonov, and I have to confess I just don't understand why any one would consider trading him. Sergei is one of those rare spark plugs we have on our team, he forces others to skate and he has an awesome work ethic, I know he is not playing his best hockey right now but he's just coming back from an injury. I believe Sergei could be one of the best players in the league and I would not want to see him traded, I know we have some weakness in defence and the need for a second or first line center (depending on what role Jumbo Joe would take on) but why mortage the future for a quick fix for the present. We can try and find these answers through different means. Sergei at 80% is still playing better than many of our players who are at 100%. We have other options for trade bait, maybe not as viable as someone of Sammy's caliber, but there are still other options out there via draft picks or even some of our future UFA's. I just don't want to see Sammy go and get some aging veteran in here for a couple years and then loose him to. Let's also not forget that Sammy is still young and has an awesome upside. Lets stick with Sammy who will give us (knock on wood) many years of inspired play. Maybe someone can give me a good argument why I might be wrong. I look forward to your replies.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Bruwinz37

Frankly I love Samsonov (in a purely hetero way) and would hate to deal him but you have to start boiling things down to the facts. Samsonov has not produced yet at an elite level. Will he? He very well could....but he could just maintain that 25 goal 60 point player we have seen.

With this being said he remains a very, very attractive trade commodity. Young, very talented, very marketable, and not *that* expensive.

I truly thought this would be a break out year for him. His injury slowed him down a little bit and that is understandable but even before he was not producing. It all boils down to production. If we can add a top end young blueliner like Eric Brewer you might have to take that chance.

I truly hope he bounces back and has a monster second half....I am just not sure he is capable of raising his game much further than we have already seen.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Samsonov is one of the most talented players around and he's a great kid. I really like him.

But, you have to take this into account:

2002/2003 season: 5 goals
2003/2004 season: 7 goals so far, on pace for 40 points

You have to take his production into account. And you have to ask whether his style of play matches the Bruins. If paired with Thornton and Bergeron, he might come to life and pot some goals. If stuck with grinders, he will spin his wheels.

I'm not excited about letting him go, but I think you have to be open minded about it. It would have to be a very significant deal for it to make sense to me, but maybe something will come along. Chances are better that he stays put.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:27 AM
The-Godfather

I hear your point, but do you really think it all comes down to production? I am not saying it's not important, but do you think that Brewer could make the other players around him skate as Sammy does and free up other players like Sammy. I just think that Sammy especially if he would shoot more would be more important to the team not just by his output but by what he brings out in other players. Sammy forces everyone to skate.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:35 AM
misterjaggers

Win or lose, Samsonov sells tickets.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Magnus Fulgur

by the start of the next hockey season (whenever that is) and hopefully before then, we are in desperate need of a second line center and a really strong puck moving young defenseman. Sergei is an important part of this team today and its future...but those other commodities are even more important than what Sammy has to offer, even if he meets his potential.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
>> but do you really think it all comes down to production?

With Samsonov, yes. He is counted on to be a key contributor to the offense. Whether it is goals or assists, those are strong indicators of how much he is contributing. I think we could all agree that we would like to see more from him the past 18 months. Whether the next step is to trade him for something they need or to get a linemate that helps unlock his potential, one of those two things should really happen. I'll be interested to see if the Samsonov-Thornton-Bergeron combo stays together. I think that line has real possibilities and it is not out of the realm of possibility that both Joe and Sammy might get untracked as a result. Stay tuned.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:41 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Must keep Sammy on B's and keep him playing with Joe and not Travis Green to see the best of what Sergei has to offer. Of those 5 goals last year I think 3 were game winners. I really think Sergei is ready to soar he just needs to be utilized correctly or more frankly: played with Thornton. If they build the forwards around Joe and Sammy keeping no key player more than a year or two older than them then everything will be fine.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:45 AM
BruinsGirl

Ok...lets see.

Samsonov is not producing....

Thornton is not producing like he can, Murray is not producing like they can. All our forwards are underachieving this year. Does this mean we should trade everyone?

Old
01-06-2004, 07:47 AM
The-Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
>> but do you really think it all comes down to production?

With Samsonov, yes. He is counted on to be a key contributor to the offense. Whether it is goals or assists, those are strong indicators of how much he is contributing. I think we could all agree that we would like to see more from him the past 18 months. Whether the next step is to trade him for something they need or to get a linemate that helps unlock his potential, one of those two things should really happen. I'll be interested to see if the Samsonov-Thornton-Bergeron combo stays together. I think that line has real possibilities and it is not out of the realm of possibility that both Joe and Sammy might get untracked as a result. Stay tuned.
Okay you answered the first part of the question but what about the part: do you think many other players can force a team to skate like Sammy does?

Old
01-06-2004, 07:48 AM
neelynugs

yes, and put lapointe on that line too. bergeron should play with knubes and muzz, and green w/axe & rollie. they had the lines like this in washington, they scored goals, and then sammy got injured on that bogus non-icing call. things were looking good- why not go back to that????

Old
01-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Ok...lets see.

Samsonov is not producing....

Thornton is not producing like he can, Murray is not producing like they can. All our forwards are underachieving this year. Does this mean we should trade everyone?
I am not sure you understand the point of trading him or you are not looking at the big picture.

First, see my above post on why Samsonov is our most valuable trade chip. Second, trading Joe Thornton would be a massive endeavor and a huge risk. He *has* shown that he can be an elite player in this league....whether or not he is struggling now has no bearing on that.

Murray is an impending FA. Yes he should be traded, but he wont fetch nearly return.

Samsonov is our one player that can really fill a void for us. Either another forward with perhaps more grit and scoring (Morrow) or that young, talented defenseman that will solidify us and make us a better team (Brewer).

The point is not trade Samsonov because he is struggling, the point is trading him to make the Bruins a better team for now AND in the future.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish Godfather
Okay you answered the first part of the question but what about the part: do you think many other players can force a team to skate like Sammy does?
Not to be rude, but what in the world do you mean by "force a team to skate"? Are you talking about our team, the other team? I have never heard this term before.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:56 AM
BruinsGirl

Rick Middleton said that if he was in B's management he would be looking to add another scoring wing and not D and not because we don't need #1 D but... It's much easier to find scoring than #1 D.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:01 AM
orrthegreatest

The reason Brewer has been rumor to be traded is because he has been playing poorly so far this season from what I understand...I personally would rather keep Samsonov...

Old
01-06-2004, 08:01 AM
The-Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Not to be rude, but what in the world do you mean by "force a team to skate"? Are you talking about our team, the other team? I have never heard this term before.
Sammy by his constant motion forces his linemates to skate. (be more mobile) so that they are open for a pass or a rebound. If you watch the Bruins they will sometimes just pass back and forth with no movement when sammy has the puck they are forced to move which opens up passing and scoring lanes. P.S. you are not rude

Old
01-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Sammy by his constant motion forces his linemates to skate. (be more mobile) so that they are open for a pass or a rebound. If you watch the Bruins they will sometimes just pass back and forth with no movement when sammy has the puck they are forced to move which opens up passing and scoring lanes. P.S. you are not rude
Thats what I thought you meant, but to be honest I am not sure how much influence he has over his mates in that department. Thornton floated all night against the Isles while Bergeron and Samsonov played their games. I think Samsonov has the ability to draw defenders with some of his elusive moves which opens up more room for his linemates, but as far as them skating harder......well I honestly dont see it.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:14 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

I would absolutely love Brendan Morrow on the B's but I don't believe that he will ever out score Sergei Samsonov (points wise). Samsonov certainly would fetch something great in a trade but that's because IMO he is great. If you got a bona fide playmaking center near Sammy's age or a Derek Morris or a similar defenseman near Sammy's age MAYBE trading him could work. But I really wouldn't want to risk it, especially if Bergeron is ready to center his own line next year. I'd rather trade a ton of other people together (I know, not really possible) than trade Samsonov.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20

Samsonov is our one player that can really fill a void for us. Either another forward with perhaps more grit and scoring (Morrow) or that young, talented defenseman that will solidify us and make us a better team (Brewer).

The point is not trade Samsonov because he is struggling, the point is trading him to make the Bruins a better team for now AND in the future.

I agree with this completely..
I always have regardless of the player involved..
If the team is improved for now and later...it's just good business.

nothing personal..just business..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
01-06-2004, 08:24 AM
The-Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I agree with this completely..
I always have regardless of the player involved..
If the team is improved for now and later...it's just good business.

nothing personal..just business..
Do you think that Brewer makes us a better team then if we stuck with Samsonov?

Old
01-06-2004, 08:25 AM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Win or lose, Samsonov sells tickets.
With our beloved Bruins, this may be the only relevant point. I have a hard time believing they would move him unless the return was in the "no-brainer" catagory.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Do you think that Brewer makes us a better team then if we stuck with Samsonov?
no...he's struggling..I'd want more of a sure thing..or as close to a sure thing as possible.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:30 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Samsonov and Jillson for Ryan Smyth and Eric Brewer....

Old
01-06-2004, 08:31 AM
The-Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Samsonov and Jillson for Ryan Smyth and Eric Brewer....
I'd pass thanks.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:46 AM
TheBigBadB

NO way do I trade Sammy..even if it was for Brewer...We have some really good defenseman in the system....Kutlak, Stuart, Morrisson, Jurcina, Jonnson, EVEN Alberts, (who I believe will make the team out of training camp..you cant teach nastiness and size and he has both!), heck even girard might come back...We just need to be patient with the defense because they are young in a state of transition..out soon will be OD Gill, Moran..I acutally believe they should do it now...but soon we will have a decent crop of defenseman on the back end and it will be good...I can almost garuntee it!

what I am more worried about is the lack of forward talent in the system...other than Huml, Hilbert and Sammuelsson..there is no one...Zino will not be back...i am almost positive of that...there is no one else...its time to start thinking of adding more forwards with high potiental in the system (some power forwards would be nice)...That means trading away players like Murray, Rolston, Knuble (who is starting to look more like a third liner every day) for young players and draft picks...this team if allowed to grow without trading a young guy like Sammy then it will be only a matter of time before this team is cup worthy..Look we have two goalies in our system that could take up the next ten years as the number one goalie...we have a bunch of first round pick defenseman draft choices that are a year or two way from the lineup...Now if they add a couple of Forwards with potiental..this team could be really good soon...

its patients we need...Yup it sure sucks that they are horrible now, and cant buy a win...but the future looks good...Now the only problem I see...is will they give the kids a chance, or continue with medicore veterans in the lineup?

Closed Thread