HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Markus Naslund vs. Keith Tkachuk

View Poll Results: Who's the more talented player?
Markus Naslund 90 71.43%
Keith Tkachuk 36 28.57%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Koivu84*

vCash: 500
Naslund

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:35 AM
nashnaidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastman344 View Post
exactly my thoughts...

plus, naslund never failed his teams physical
I think it's fairly clear that the OP has worded this poll to give Naslund a better chance of winning.

Both had some very nice seasons but Tkachuk brings a few tools that are harder to come by than Naslund, plus Tkachuk has averaged 0.5 goals/game over his career. That has to count for something.

Forgot to add in the huge disparity in performance over their respective careers. Similar games played with 150+ more points for Tkachuk.

nashnaidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 03:40 AM
brownman*

The OP has changed the intentions of the poll several times now, he's either retarded or some maniac conducting a twisted sociological experiment.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

the OP asks for most talented... this is naslund easily....

Nazzy relied purely on talent and finesse for his goals.... tkachuk scored goals using his size and strength

You can argue about who the better player is... but talent wise, naslund takes the cake

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Sixxleaf

Naslund

Sixxleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

A lot of you make it seem like Tkachuk scored all of his goals by stuffing in a rebound or letting a slap shot bank off his giant ass while Naslund scored his goals by zig-zagging through all five skaters and the peanut vendor.

Tkachuk has tons and tons of highlight reel goals and there wasn't anybody as good as Keith at deflecting point shots during the late 90's. To be a consistent threat just from deflections takes tremendous hand/eye coordination and "skill". He has a howitzer of a shot and good accuracy to go along with it, is an underrated passer and is in the upper echelon of players who are/were both tough and supremely skilled.

Joel Otto
Keith Primeau
D Hatcher
Mark Janssens (Playoffs)
Warren Rychel 2X
Doug Houda
Dana Murzyn 2x (Nucks fans should remember those from the infamous Selanne/Peca
game. Keith was a madman that night and rocked Murzyn 2x that
night.)
Bryan Marchment
Jason Smith
Ed Jovonaski
Claude Lemieux (96 WC, broke Claude's nose)

That's a sampling of his fight card off the top of my head. Not exactly a bunch of slouches he's fighting while also amassing 50 goal seasons. Led the league in goals while racking up over 220 PIM's, and this was before the 27 minute penalty for defending your teammate and the 10 minute misconduct for squinting at someone with under 10 minutes left.

Huge part of the 96 WC win for the US. Shaky Olympic track record (large ice may be a factor) but has been great in the WC's including the last one where he had a 4-5 goal game.

Some here may be too young to remember, but he was kind of hockey's "It" boy from 95-96 to 97-98. Hockey News covers, offer sheets signed, picked up THN's "Iintimidation Quotient" award for two-three years during that time. I even read a feature on him back then in some magazine that wasn't even about sports.

If the injuries don't start then we're already looking at 500 goals for Keith and probably 1,000 points.

Also, I don't understand this "They played during two different eras" argument in favor of Naslund. It looks to me like Keith is 1 year older and that they played during the same time period. Even if this argument were true, it would still be in Tkachuk's favor as he was able to lead the league in goals back when it was a more "high-scoring" league while sitting out the equivalent of almost 4 whole games in the penalty box.

If anything, I see Naslund starting to put up his best numbers as power plays started to go up and tough, physical hockey started to decline.

The thing that makes me lean to Tkachuk, on top of what I've already said, is that Tkachuk has the skill to play as a perimeter player like Naslund and still put up good numbers. He's no longer the monster he once was but, with his underrated skating and powerful shot, he can play in a perimeter role at this stage in his career and still put up better numbers than Naslund is right now.

Last season:

Naslund: 82 24 36 60 3 54
Tkachuk: 61 20 23 43 3 92
18 7 8 15 8 34

So, Naslund had 2 more points but 3 less goals in 2 more games played while having a lower plus/minus rating and half the PIMs while Tkachuk was playing for the Blues most of the season.

Ask Naslund to play Tkachuk's game from his prime and Naslund would be killed. Ask Tkachuk to play a more perimeter type game due to injuries and such and he's putting up better than numbers than Naslund is right now.

This poll is just more evidence that Tkachuk does not receive the respect he deserves as an elite talent. He stood in front of the net when it took rocks to do so, fought tough guys and still managed to put up very impressive career numbers. Hell, if he came into the league today with the way you can't even touch a forward standing in front of the net, he'd be a perennial Richard Trophy candidate.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

BigKing. Great post! It's easy to make the Tkachunk jokes and rely on lame finesse-Euro stereotypes when characterizing *talent*, but Tkachuk is one of the best power forwards of all-time and IMO should always be considered a superior player to the likes of Naslund.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 01:39 PM
FDBluth

Am I the only one who keeps on getting brownman and toastman confused?

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Most talented is pointless. It doesnt mean results or an effective player. I'd take a non-fat Tkachuk on my team over Naslund easily.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Am I the only one who keeps on getting brownman and toastman confused?
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

at eating Tkachuk.At hockey Naslund

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Habs 4 Life