HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

nigel dawes

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 08:14 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
I wanted Parise all along because from all accounts he sounds like a more talented Mike York in that he never stops his feet from moving and has grit for a guy that size, not run them over type grit but a York type of grit that overcomes the lack of size and he seems to have a better offensive game then does Mike and that seems like a great combo to me.

I felt and still feel he will be a impact NHLer and that he is one of the more sure-fire guys coming out of last years draft.I was so glad the Isles also passed but was pissed when Lou traded up 5 spots to get the kid.When Lou does that you know the kid will be a player IMO.

I love what Jessiman MAY become and we certainly could use a power winger that is huge with great hands so hopefully he works out and I'm certainly not down on the kid.

And as for the 2nd round I really was hoping they'd grab Patrick O'Sullivan.The kid has top-notch talent but was affected greatly by family issues where his father was an absolute nut case who was trying to live through his kid and at one point dragged him off his junior teams bus and gave him a beating after a poor performance prompting the kid and his mother to finally take out an order of protection after enduring yrs of abuse.They had a very interesting article on it at ESPN around draft time and the kid clearly was 1st rd talent but this family stuff caused him to slip.

With our 2nd rounder I felt the kid was w/o a doubt worth a shot as he was making strides to move away from the destructive situation with his father.I wish the kid the best in Minny but I wish our scouts had taken a crack at him when he was available when we selected in the 2nd.

It's all a crap shoot and both guys we got both have good to very good upside so hopefully Hugh and Barinka (sp?) live up to their potential.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:21 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Clarke and company have done a great job in the draft, especially with first round picks, in the last 8 years or so.

The players that Richards gets compared to most of all seem to be Ricci and Brind'amour.

The players I've heard Carter compared to most are Modano & Sundin. I'm not saying he's going to be that good, but I think he'll play a style more similar to them. Carter is 6'3 200 lbs and can really fly. He appears to be more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, although that may be because of his linemates.

Richards is much more of a playmaker.
Richards gets compared to Recchi and Brind'amour???You couldn't get more different type of players.

As for Carter, all these Modano/Sundin stuff is crazy.These are 2 of the best players in the game.I know you're not saying it John and it's fun to compare guys to current NHLer's but the truth of the matter is each player is unique and I think people start buying into all the hype of these type of comparisons as some are doing here touting everybody else's future superstars when the fact of the matter is none of these guys have proven anything at the NHL level.

Remember all the Lundmark is the next JR/Sakic type player?Again 2 very different players but that was what got floated when Jamie got selected and the truth of it is he won't have 1/2 the careers either has had and doesn't play a style similar to either in the NHL.Maybe he did in Juniors but this is quite a different level of play and guys' style aften change along with the jump to the bigs.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:12 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Richards gets compared to Recchi and Brind'amour???You couldn't get more different type of players.

As for Carter, all these Modano/Sundin stuff is crazy.These are 2 of the best players in the game.I know you're not saying it John and it's fun to compare guys to current NHLer's but the truth of the matter is each player is unique and I think people start buying into all the hype of these type of comparisons as some are doing here touting everybody else's future superstars when the fact of the matter is none of these guys have proven anything at the NHL level.

Remember all the Lundmark is the next JR/Sakic type player?Again 2 very different players but that was what got floated when Jamie got selected and the truth of it is he won't have 1/2 the careers either has had and doesn't play a style similar to either in the NHL.Maybe he did in Juniors but this is quite a different level of play and guys' style aften change along with the jump to the bigs.
He meant Mike Ricci.... Hey JR if you want to hear hype then check out what their saying about Sidney Crosby over on the prospects boards if you havn't done so already. The problem is that these guys being drafted are only 17 - 19 years old; it's tough to judge how good they will be - as is shown perfectly with the draft pics the Rangers have chosen recently.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:25 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I watched the game and Dawes impressed me tremodously, he's listed as your 20th best prospect, that's gotta change this kid is gonna be a good one.
20th best on the Rags Tjutin is probably your only intouchable for prospects along with Jessiman.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9

As for Carter, all these Modano/Sundin stuff is crazy.

Mike Ricci, not Mark Recchi.

They always compaer players to someone in the NHL, and generally the comparisons are a "best case scenario".

I don't get the Sundin comparison at all, but I can certainly see why people compare him to Modano.

Almost identical size, he wears #9, and he can really skate. If he doesn't have Modano speed, he has to be real close. Also i think he's more goal scorer than playmaker, which is how Modano was when he first entered the league.

On draft day I was hoping that Phaneuf would slide, and if not I wanted Dustin Brown & Anthony Stewart with our two #1 picks.

Now after seeing our guys play and Brown & Stewart play, I certainly perfer to keep the players we have.

Only time will tell what eventually will happen .....

Old
01-06-2004, 03:53 PM
JCProdigy

Getting back to Dawes for a second....

I watched a few of the games over TSN on Direct TV and he was indeed impressive at the Tourney. His shot was very accurate and he used his speed a couple of times to burst in passed defensmen in order to get said shot off. He has alot of hustle and for being a small player he wins alot of battles along the boards that he has no business winning against bigger players. What I also like was the way he drew two penalties in the Czech (semi-final) game. He did so by going to the net and kept his feet going while he was pulled down both times.

Also would like to mention that all Ranger fans should breath a sigh of relief that Corey Potter wasn't seriously hurt. Did anybody else see the viscious hit he took when falling down while reaching for a puck in the Finland game? The Finnish player's knee went into his head and I thought for sure the guy had a concussion.

Quote:
20th best on the Rags Tjutin is probably your only intouchable for prospects along with Jessiman.
Prospect listings were updated after the draft and haven't been touched since so his recent WHL and WJC success's haven't played into his ranking which will surely go up next update.

Quote:
And as for the 2nd round I really was hoping they'd grab Patrick O'Sullivan.
Talk about risk/reward. You're not the only one I've heard say this JR but unfortunatelly his situation with his father has left him with a questionable attitude towards authority figures (ie coaches). Even if he was to over come this as he goes foward with his life, I think that a Kid with questionable character/history is the last thing the Rangers need right now. The one thing the Rangers have done over the last couple of drafts is pick guys that supposedly are really good character guys including the likes of Jessiman, Dawes, Baranka, Taylor, Guenin, etc.

The guy they did pick up in the 2nd round is Baranka. Barinka is another d-man that went around the same time in the draft. Me thinks the two will be confused alot over the next couple of years.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:37 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
That may be Hockey's Future ranking of prospects for the rangers but I guarantee you that the rangers organization ranking of their prospects are much different.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:26 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
That may be Hockey's Future ranking of prospects for the rangers but I guarantee you that the rangers organization ranking of their prospects are much different.
5 months ago Dawes deserved no better then being ranked 20 considering he was an undersized player that was just drafted in the fifth round.

HF rankings are no better or worse then anywhere else seeing as most prospects will go through huge rises and drops over a years length in time.

Closed Thread