HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray Article

Old
08-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
He had plenty of good words and i think he will always be a favourite in MTL. But to say "It's business" and then come up with quotes like this is confusing..

Quote:
"If the (Canadiens' July 2) offer had come in mid-June, absolutely, I would have seriously considered it," he said. "But once they started scratching off their checklist and I was sitting at No. 7 or No. 8 on their list, after the time and energy I'd put into the team, I wondered how I could go back with an easy feeling and know that I was 'their guy.'
"To put seven years into the organization and leave everything I had on the ice, and then say, 'Wow, I guess this is how highly you've thought of me all along?'

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He had plenty of good words and i think he will always be a favourite in MTL. But to say "It's business" and then come up with quotes like this is confusing..
Your post reminds me why we're nothing more than a border line playoff team...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:39 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Guys, what is with all this Souray bashing? He served your team well for like 7 years and gave it his all every night. I really think that Canadien's fans are just bitter to have lost Souray for whatever reason. To me, Souray had always been my fav Montreal Canadien, and I was happy to see him sign with my fav team, the Oilers. To the poster who mentioned Ryder not being worth $30 million for scoring his 30 goal, you forget about all of the intangibles that he brings. Souray is huge, tough, and a great leader in addition to being one of the leagues premiere offensive defensemen.

Our coaching staff will bring out Sourays defensive abilities, trust me. The Oilers from 1992 until the lockout leave a lot to be desired, but I feel that we have some of the best defensive coaches (MacT and Huddy) around.

Look at Hamrlik, Jason Smith, and Steve Staios' plus/minus before coming the Oilers. They were all resoundingly minus before coming through our system. Souray was a shutdown D-man in NJ, what makes you think Huddy can't work his magic with him and give him defensive abilities to balance out his offensive skillset?

Hamrlik
http://forecaster.cbc.ca/cbc/hockey/player.cgi?1175

Smith
http://forecaster.cbc.ca/cbc/hockey/player.cgi?254

Staios
http://forecaster.cbc.ca/cbc/hockey/player.cgi?683

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Nobak

I'm just a bit shocked at how much of a contrast this is to his previous "I owe this organization so much" speech.

However, quite honestly, I'd probably have reacted similarly given how it all happened so I can't blame him without being a hypocrite about it.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
F Souray.
He only led the team on the blueline for a few years, set a couple records.. saved our captain's as whenever it was needed.. and he wanted to be compensated.

So what does Gainey do? Overpays Hamrlik, and says "See ya Sheldon, thanks for nothing!". I'd be pissed if I was Souray as well. When he says "Its Business" , it was directed at the Canadiens, not his feelings on his decision to sign with Edmonton.

While I don't think Bob should have broke the bank to re-sign Sheldon, it still makes me sick to think how much he gave Hamrlik. Reward the players who have stuck it out in Montreal, gave it their all.

"But," he admitted, "I didn't think it was going to play out like it did. It was disappointing how things finally went down.".

Gainey lovers just can't accept the fact the man has let all the character walk away, or sent them packing, while over-spending on players that won't make an ounce of difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'd take Souray's poor defensive play, and incredible character, over anything Hamrlik brings to this club.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Habbadasher

[QUOTE=saskyoil;10220645] Souray was a shutdown D-man in NJ,
QUOTE]

Souray was never a shutdown D for NJ, in fact, Lamo said "Souray just stopped develloping" after trading him.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 02:58 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wow....are you guys even reading the article?

The only thing I'm getting from this article is that he would have liked to stay. If the habs had come with the same offer earlier in the process he would have stayed.

I dont understand the 12 year old reactions I'm reading. "Souray is bitter"....Take a look in the mirror.

I agree. As much as it irritates me to lose our all-star defensemen, and as much as I would like to hold it against him, it seems that he is a reasonable dude, with a great big heart. If anything Souray has too much heart and that was the problem with his signing in Montreal. He felt slighted by having Montreal come to him last, maybe even heart broken. And then he got an offer to play at home, be closer to his family and daughters and make good cash. Hating on him for making that decision is stupid and juvinille.

That being said, I still am relatively happy Souray is gone, his defensive gaffs (which are not likley to decrease as he ages past 31), are not worth his cannon shot on the ice, or his impressive stature. I think he's a solid guy, but I'm glad montreal choose to get a cleaner, tighter D, by not offering Souray a big hearted offer.

Haters stop *****in! He's gone let him be.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Wow....are you guys even reading the article?

The only thing I'm getting from this article is that he would have liked to stay. If the habs had come with the same offer earlier in the process he would have stayed.

I dont understand the 12 year old reactions I'm reading. "Souray is bitter"....Take a look in the mirror.
That's the feeling I got while reading this article. I think the first habs offer really pissed him off. Upon recieving that first offer, the issue went beyond dollars and cents. (At my attempt of reading between the lines), it seems like souray took the first offer quite personally.

I'm sad to see him go but also ready to move on.

Last edited by Hackett: 08-20-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 04:02 AM
Vodka_Tonic

souray is not a premier offensive defenseman in the nhl, he might have been a premier goal scoring d-man last year...

the hamrlik contract was offered to souray, and only after he turned it down, BG made the same offer to hamrlik.

and honestly, the very first offer from the habs management was probably just a realistic contract for a guy like him, it might not have been market value, but it was a realistic assesment of what souray is worth to the habs. you can't blame BG for that...
and you can't blame BG for trying to sign a center who brings more to the table at 6.5 than souray at 5.5... it didn't work out, but i can fully understand how gainey thought about this.

Vodka_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 06:46 AM
David_99

Ok, wait a sec. Gainey has a well known "no negociate during the season" policy.
Season ends in April.
Gainey takes a month to look at his options.
Gainey offers Souray a contract in May for less then he wanted.
Gainey offers him a damn good contract on July 2nd.
July 2nd was "too late". A whole 24 excruciating hours after UFA kicked in.
No one touches Souray until Edmonton become desperate enough to sign damn near anyone, almost 2 weeks into FA.
It's now a dream come true to play for Edmonton.

If he wanted to stay that much, having to wait until all of July 2nd, shouldn't have mattered. Was it a blow to his confidence? Waiting a whole day into FA?

I have a feeling his agent tried to play hardball and Gainey didn't like it. Just like with Ryder's agent. He pulled the ol "This is what we can afford. You don't like our offer? OK, well you can wait until everyone else is signed and we'll get back to you." Why would Bob just "ignore" Souray otherwise, only to offer him an inflated contract just after free agency?

It's business and a bit of ego.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:08 AM
AlexMeth

He would of stayed in MTL if the other captain would of left.

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Your post reminds me why we're nothing more than a border line playoff team...
You might have to finish that sentence because I'm not sure I follow. Souray's mixed message and hurt feelings to me don't seem to have a lot to do with Gainey or the club. The article seems to reveal more about Souray's his high school attitude than anything else.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:19 AM
mabus

Sigh, typical montreal drooling response.

We have an article where Sourray expresses bitter disappointment about leaving, where he says openly that he never thought he'd end up having to leave, where he says he wanted to stay.

What's the fans reaction?

****** Sourray, we hate him, he was no good etc ....

And people wonder why no free agents want to sign here ???

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:20 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMeth View Post
He would of stayed in MTL if the other captain would of left.
I'm sure that's why Briere didn't sign here. Who wants to play on a team with a guy who beats cancer and eye surgery? Pfffft, Souray is the true hero. Cut and run when your ego is hurt. That's how you win championships

(sarcasm icon should not be necessary.)

Old
08-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Ok, wait a sec. Gainey has a well known "no negociate during the season" policy.
Season ends in April.
Gainey takes a month to look at his options.
Gainey offers Souray a contract in May for less then he wanted.
Gainey offers him a damn good contract on July 2nd.
July 2nd was "too late". A whole 24 excruciating hours after UFA kicked in.
No one touches Souray until Edmonton become desperate enough to sign damn near anyone, almost 2 weeks into FA.
It's now a dream come true to play for Edmonton.

If he wanted to stay that much, having to wait until all of July 2nd, shouldn't have mattered. Was it a blow to his confidence? Waiting a whole day into FA?

I have a feeling his agent tried to play hardball and Gainey didn't like it. Just like with Ryder's agent. He pulled the ol "This is what we can afford. You don't like our offer? OK, well you can wait until everyone else is signed and we'll get back to you." Why would Bob just "ignore" Souray otherwise, only to offer him an inflated contract just after free agency?

It's business and a bit of ego.

Whether Souray says "no" to Gainey in February or May, does it really make a difference? There seems to be this misconception that these negotiations fall apart because there is some elapsing of a time period, and had the talks "only started earlier" they would have had a different outcome.

hooey.

Souray was hell bent on getting his money, and if he didn't get exactly what he wanted he was going to see an open market. Seems he did that, the offers got closer to what he wanted, and after 27 days of it not being about the money, he signed for the money.

Old
08-20-2007, 07:31 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_the_habs_fan View Post
Whether Souray says "no" to Gainey in February or May, does it really make a difference? There seems to be this misconception that these negotiations fall apart because there is some elapsing of a time period, and had the talks "only started earlier" they would have had a different outcome.

hooey.

Souray was hell bent on getting his money, and if he didn't get exactly what he wanted he was going to see an open market. Seems he did that, the offers got closer to what he wanted, and after 27 days of it not being about the money, he signed for the money.
Exactly. I'm sure if it were Pheonix that offered the same amount, we'd be reading how it's "a dream come true to play under Gretzky". Or in Columbus; "It's such a dream to play in such a franchise that.... I've always wanted to play with.... It's always been my dream to get this team into the playoffs."

Old
08-20-2007, 07:44 AM
mabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_the_habs_fan View Post
Well perhaps you're a psychic, because Sourray is saying the exact opposite. And if this is true, why did he actually sign for LESS than other teams were offering?

I think it has to do with respect. He was being treated rather shoddily, as an afterthought by Gainey, so he got fed up and decided to go to a team that expressed a great deal of interest in having him.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 07:52 AM
habtastic

Reading the article i was shocked at his attitude. From my perspective, we did everything to woo him, to no avail. He was the one who kept holding out for a better offer. And what is with his insecurity complex? He felt bad that he was only considered as a 2k cadillac when he saw himself as a 10. While he says its a business, he also implies that it was because he felt slighted that the Habs didnt have a wet dream over his talent. I think he was given more than his share of attention, it seems like he was looking for an excuse to leave.

I also didn't know what to make of the whole "me, saks and rivs used to wonder whether it would be better to win the cup elsewhere". Does he mean that in a redundant sense, like there is nowhere else to win it so we'd rather be here or that they are highly doubtful and ponder abotu leaving. That bothers me cuz I couldnt bear to have Saku leave, espescially because he doesnt have the passion of the CH anymore. Given his recent overtly expressed doubts abotu the organization's future, I worry that Saku is not gonna care anymore. No matter what anyone says about him, the team without him is far far far worse and feels foreign.

Anyway, much as is the case with the others who have dissed us or undermined our efforts in keeping them(Ribs!!!), i now have a reason to see him fail in Edmonton.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Well perhaps you're a psychic, because Sourray is saying the exact opposite. And if this is true, why did he actually sign for LESS than other teams were offering?

I think it has to do with respect. He was being treated rather shoddily, as an afterthought by Gainey, so he got fed up and decided to go to a team that expressed a great deal of interest in having him.
That's rubbish. Gainey expressed interest in Sheldon long before the Oilers. Souray's comments make no sense. Ok, so Souray was not #1 on Gainey's list... he was FAR from #1 on the Oilers' list either.

It is a matter of pride and ego. Sheldon thought he would be our top priority after Markov but before looking outside the organization. Instead, Gainey tried to upgrade the team by bringing in fresh blood. When that didn't work, he went back to Souray with a bigger offer than he had initially made him. If Sheldon couldn't handle the fact that there were players on the market we wanted to see about before getting to him, so be it. From all comments, that's clearly what it was about, and so he waited for his next $5M+ offer and took it. Perhaps you have to when you become a UFA, but Souray was certainly putting himself, his pride, his stardome, and whatever else ahead of any team.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I also didn't know what to make of the whole "me, saks and rivs used to wonder whether it would be better to win the cup elsewhere". Does he mean that in a redundant sense, like there is nowhere else to win it so we'd rather be here or that they are highly doubtful and ponder abotu leaving. That bothers me cuz I couldnt bear to have Saku leave, espescially because he doesnt have the passion of the CH anymore. Given his recent overtly expressed doubts abotu the organization's future, I worry that Saku is not gonna care anymore. No matter what anyone says about him, the team without him is far far far worse and feels foreign.
You're misinterpreting that. He's saying that he, Saku, and Rivet would agree that there would be no better place to win a Cup than Montreal.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
GoHabs20

sometimes I am ashamed being a Habs fan.

SOURAY rocked!! Our PP will miss him. I wish him the best, he was always a class act. Other players can learn a lot from him.

**** the fans ...not Souray!

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:32 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Guys, what is with all this Souray bashing? He served your team well for like 7 years and gave it his all every night. I really think that Canadien's fans are just bitter to have lost Souray for whatever reason. To me, Souray had always been my fav Montreal Canadien, and I was happy to see him sign with my fav team, the Oilers. To the poster who mentioned Ryder not being worth $30 million for scoring his 30 goal, you forget about all of the intangibles that he brings. Souray is huge, tough, and a great leader in addition to being one of the leagues premiere offensive defensemen.
That's all we need, fans of a loser organization telling us why some of us feel the way we do about Souray. You dont know the story so shove it.

Souray is a jerk for the way he acted. He wanted to play the market in order to end up in NY or Cali. Those teams didnt bite. The Habs moved on to Hamrlik. He was left holding the bag and is now lashing out at the Habs when he really should be lashing out at his agent.

F Souray.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:38 AM
habtastic

It's not that we are jumping on his case cuz he said no to us. Im not overly critical but from the article and from everything WE know has happened, at least officially, he is trying to misdirect people into thinking he was mistreated when that is NOT the case. People are going to say, "oh but how do you actually know what was going on in those meetings", but quite honestly we were made quite aware of what Gainey was doing to sign him and if anything he spat in our faces everytime. And fine, thats ok if he didnt want to sign here, but he is being deceitful and blameful in saying we didnt try REALLY hard to sign him, cuz that's ********, we did and he just didnt wanna stay.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post

Souray is doing the free agent exit routine, professing his love for the people who supported him, and leaving a vapour trail of feel good dust for all to breathe in. His actions don't support his words.

Let's apply some smell tests. Souray carefully weighed offers for 27 days, yet the Habs offer on day 2 of free agency is "way too late". Hmmmm.

Souray doesn't like his initial Montreal offer (on a still unconfirmed $ amount) and has minimal contact with Montreal April through June, looking at his options seems to be his preferred course of action.

Gainey takes a run at other options like Briere and Ryan, and when that doesn't work out, returns to Souray with another bid on July 2.

Souray's view of that sequence of events - Gainey's assessment of his options and subsequent re-entry into negotiations with Souray is somehow hurtful and "way too late" , but Souray's rejection of the Habs offer, assessment of his own options, shunning of a legitimate offer by the Habs, and signing for the best money is "just business".

Sounds like an ego at work.

Old
08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Indeed. Acting like a bunc of spoiled brats used to getting all they want. The whole article is Souray saying great things about his time in Montreal and agreeing with everything that was done except for the timing of the final offer. Then you get all those bitter posts throwing insults Souray's way. You'd expect a certain level of maturity. The only people looking bitter here are those posters.
Geez....since when can't we criticize a little bit Mr. Souray? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not bitter one bit as far as a player choosing to go somewhere else. I mean, that's how it is. But I would've prefer hearing Souray saying how he preferred being close to family or even how he wasn't a fan of the direction the team is going....but talking about the timing of the final offer? And almost saying that we didn't treat him the way he should've been. If that's not spoiled, I don't know what is.

But again I'm just criticizing that portion of the interview. And never will I diss him as what he gave to us and everything he did for us. I even was one of the few that think that we're overrating his problems defensively. That you can't judge his overall play on his pylon moments that became highlights reels throughout the year. Paired adequately, he's not the best but I've seen worst.

But as much as I'm one of the first to blame Gainey for some stuff, and again, he's not totally free of criticizm himself, those Souray's quotes are not his best to say the least.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote