HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anti-fog solutions?

Old
08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
TheSandman

vCash: 500
Anti-fog solutions?

So I tried a plastic full sheild for the first time. It was fine on the roller rink, but on the ice rink the fog from my breathing was really bad, even though I was using an anti-fog spray. So what's the solution? Is there a particular spray or fog deterrent that works especially well? In the meantime I'm going to lok into getting a combo sheild, and one of the ones that curves around the nose....but only second hand....my face isn't worth $90.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:26 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

try putting a very lite amount of shampoo on it, rub the shampoo around. than wiping it off with a damp cloth.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
lol

Yes shampoo works very well and just about any liquid soap. But if your wearing an Oakley don't try it as they're soo sensitive and might wind up causing it to crystallize. I just a Itech 920 combo...I like it and would recommend it if you were really gonna get a combo.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
lol

Yes shampoo works very well and just about any liquid soap. But if your wearing an Oakley don't try it as they're soo sensitive and might wind up causing it to crystallize. I just a Itech 920 combo...I like it and would recommend it if you were really gonna get a combo.
I have an Oakley tinted half visor is there anything i could use on there besides there own solution?

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:22 AM
TheSandman

Shampoo?? No way...

I'd like to get the Itech fx-50 because you can change out the visor part. I don't think they all do that.

Old
08-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Shampoo?? No way...

I'd like to get the Itech fx-50 because you can change out the visor part. I don't think they all do that.
Yeah man, they ALL do it.

Shampoo or some liquid soap on the inside will do the trick. Rub it in, wipe off with a nice towel. Something microfiber would buff it out really nice and crystal clear.

The only thing is, you gotta do it before every game. Once in a blue you'll get lucky and it'll be good for a game or 2.

I used to do this in the bathroom with hand soap from a dispenser before every game and never had a problem.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Yeah man, they ALL do it.

Shampoo or some liquid soap on the inside will do the trick. Rub it in, wipe off with a nice towel. Something microfiber would buff it out really nice and crystal clear.

The only thing is, you gotta do it before every game. Once in a blue you'll get lucky and it'll be good for a game or 2.

I used to do this in the bathroom with hand soap from a dispenser before every game and never had a problem.

-B
Really? I went and bought some new skates the other night and the guy at the shop was telling me otherwise. I know on some of the itech ones the wire is actually IN the visor, so I don't know how you'd change em...but I never really checked em out before so I don't know.

Thanks for the advice!

Old
08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
94now

The most effective way is to use battery powered hand held fan. It clears the fog while on the bench and there's no fog if you're out there on the ice moving. You may look stupid, but it is well rpoven method.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
sc37

Quote:
Really? I went and bought some new skates the other night and the guy at the shop was telling me otherwise. I know on some of the itech ones the wire is actually IN the visor, so I don't know how you'd change em...but I never really checked em out before so I don't know.

Thanks for the advice!
I've done it for forever...Itech only though. I'm not sure what you mean wire in the cage, but my 920 combo replaces by unscrewing on the sides that attach the cage to the visor.

And for the other person asking bout Oakleys...idk what other spray besides the AFR to use.

Old
08-02-2007, 10:00 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I bought two masks from an online vendor that claimed they would not fog. They don't! No solutions to apply,no nothing. PM me and when I'm home tomorrow I'll pull one out and see if I can find a name. I bought them 3 years ago and they are still good to go. 3 hours a week in season,1 hour a week in summer.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Tbone54

I tend to just spit on mine.. keeps it fog free.

Just spit rub it around then buffer it up... no more fog!!!

Tbone54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 03:02 AM
KingsFTW

I use an Itech FX-50 and Costco-brand shampoo. No fog ever. Works perfectly.

KingsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneCoyote View Post
I tend to just spit on mine.. keeps it fog free.

Just spit rub it around then buffer it up... no more fog!!!
Thats right. If you're playing and have no anti-fog solution, use your spit. Divers use this all the time.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:01 PM
TheSandman

Well, I hit the rink this morning, and sure enough the foamy handsoap at the rink worked fine.

Thanks guys! Another probem solved on HF......

Now I'm set on getting a combo though, for the sake of better airflow.

Old
08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/

Here it is; The Boulder Hockey Shield Company. I bought two and never apply anything.

Old
08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
nodq

The real solution:

Use a cage.

I tried a shield for a few weeks and it fogged and was hotter than a cage so I switched back.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 10:26 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
The real solution:

Use a cage.

I tried a shield for a few weeks and it fogged and was hotter than a cage so I switched back.
Yea, but the astronaut look is in these days. You gotta keep up with the times!

Old
08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
FLYLine24*

Seriously...get a cage..it takes no time to get used to and you never have to worry about it fogging up.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/

Here it is; The Boulder Hockey Shield Company. I bought two and never apply anything.
Cool, thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Seriously...get a cage..it takes no time to get used to and you never have to worry about it fogging up.
I've always used a cage. I actually don't mind a cage very much, in fact while I'm playing I hardly notice it's there. I've never bothered with plastic shields in the past mainly because I think they're overpriced. Recently an old friend and hockey buddy of mine who doesn't really play anymore gave me his old itech shield and I thought I'd give it a whirl and see how I like it.

What I like most about a cage is that it's fuss free, you can toss it around and not worry about it, etc......but anyway I want to try out the plastic for a few games too, and if I can get a cheap combo off of ebay or craigslist I'll try it as well. More than anything I just want to see how they all feel and perform and make a call as to which one I like best.

Old
08-04-2007, 02:10 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the link!

I've always used a cage. I actually don't mind a cage very much, in fact while I'm playing I hardly notice it's there. I've never bothered with plastic shields in the past mainly because I think they're overpriced. Recently an old friend and hockey buddy of mine who doesn't really play anymore gave me his old itech shield and I thought I'd give it a whirl and see how I like it.

What I like most about a cage is that it's fuss free, you can toss it around and not worry about it, etc......but anyway I want to try out the plastic for a few games too, and if I can get a cheap combo off of ebay or craigslist I'll try it as well. More than anything I just want to see how they all feel and perform and make a call as to which one I like best.
I went through the same thing though I started cutting wire out of the cage until anything could get through. I got this fog free shield after using the one excel shield for years. The difference between this shield and a cage was night and day for me. It's like looking through a window,absolutely no blindspots and no fog. I do baby it in my bag though.

Old
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Get a half visor best invest i ever made. i took only one in the face in 3 years and that was because i was ****ing around. not a stick puck anything has never hit me during a game and i love the air flow.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
sc37

Still, the one you take in 3 years could put you on IR for the rest of your life...not worth the risk if your playing beer league especially. I went with a half shield for one season and didn't think it was worth it...always morons who can't control what they doing. I thought I could get away with taking the ear guards off my helmet since nothing ever came and hit me in my ear and figured I could hear better without them. I just recently took them off and the 2nd game without them I took a shot off a deflection to the ear and split it open. Wasn't a good experience.

Old
08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
Get a half visor best invest i ever made. i took only one in the face in 3 years and that was because i was ****ing around. not a stick puck anything has never hit me during a game and i love the air flow.
Actually I have a visor too (from another old friend). Problem is I play in a leauge that requires the full shield (the pickup I go to doesn't though).

Now, I used to play with nothing at all, if you wanna talk about nice airflow but the conclusion that I came to is that it's not really worth the risk of injury to play in a rec leauge. If I was playing pro or juniors or whatever it's different, but frankly, I can't afford dentistry, or the time I'd need to take off to go to the dentist. That being said, I've been playing on and off for over a decade and can't even recall ever taking anything to the face.

Old
08-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Fantom

Gota to a Scuba shop. buy the Anti fog spray that divers use.
soap works well as well

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:23 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually I have a visor too (from another old friend). Problem is I play in a leauge that requires the full shield (the pickup I go to doesn't though).

Now, I used to play with nothing at all, if you wanna talk about nice airflow but the conclusion that I came to is that it's not really worth the risk of injury to play in a rec leauge. If I was playing pro or juniors or whatever it's different, but frankly, I can't afford dentistry, or the time I'd need to take off to go to the dentist. That being said, I've been playing on and off for over a decade and can't even recall ever taking anything to the face.
In 30 years of playing I only used a shield when required beginning in 1991. During regular pickup hockey I played helmetless until 2 consecutive weeks I took 20 stitches in the mouth. First was a face on face collision with someone wearing a cage and my lip just exploded and he got nothing. The next week with one side of my upper lip stitched I got hit on the other side with an errant stick for 20 more. From that day on I wear a visor/cage if anyone's on the ice with me.