Finland's 2010-2011 crop... Pulkkinen and Granlund

Old
02-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
That's true and it'll be interesting to see how they'll do in ASM next season compared to Rajala, Haula and Karjalainen.
For Pulkkinen's sake, I hope he won't coached by Timo Blomqvist. Althgouh even he wasn't able to copmpelety "destroy" Jori Lehterä.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
For Pulkkinen's sake, I hope he won't coached by Timo Blomqvist. Althgouh even he wasn't able to copmpelety "destroy" Jori Lehterä.
Blomqvist seems to have a rather furious personality and he probably ain't the best possible guy to coach youngsters, but he has some good qualities as a coach as well. He's passionate about the game and some of the players seem to connect with him in a good way, so it's unfair to blame Blomqvist for the whole problem.

Jokerit as a organization is IMO the biggest factor in this case as they are always looking for success and there seems to be no strategy in bringing up own talent to the first team. Virmanen is lacking as a leader in this area, not sure if it's due to the fact that he's too occupied with other tasks or is he just incompetent to perceive the big picture?

Overall it might be a better option for Pulkkinen to move for example to Blues, as they seem to be doing well in developing their talent and bringing youngsters to the first team.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Blomqvist seems to have a rather furious personality and he probably ain't the best possible guy to coach youngsters, but he has some good qualities as a coach as well. He's passionate about the game and some of the players seem to connect with him in a good way, so it's unfair to blame Blomqvist for the whole problem..
If coach is yelling to stands(like Blomqvist is doing) for crowd I think he isn't really handling his job too well. It isn't good sign for any of the players either.

And about Virmanen. It's quite obvious Jokerit would need some kind of boss who would handle their hockey, while Virmanen could consentrate on money etc. I think finnish businessman Vesa Keskinen has said it well "I'm smart enough to gather smarter ppl around me". Man shouldn't try to do things which he obviously can't. In this case Jokerit is major business, biggest sport business in Finland I think, but still one incompete guy is trying to run show alone.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
If coach is yelling to stands(like Blomqvist is doing) for crowd I think he isn't really handling his job too well. It isn't good sign for any of the players either.
Yep, as I said Blomqvist has a bad temper, but I was trying to point out that it's a bit of an overstatement to say that he's solely responsible of nearly destroying a players career as the organization plays a big part in these affairs as well. Plus IMO Lehterä developed a lot as a player under Blomqvist's command, so he ain't that hopeless in coaching as many people for example in Jatkoaika.com seem to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
And about Virmanen. It's quite obvious Jokerit would need some kind of boss who would handle their hockey, while Virmanen could consentrate on money etc. I think finnish businessman Vesa Keskinen has said it well "I'm smart enough to gather smarter ppl around me". Man shouldn't try to do things which he obviously can't. In this case Jokerit is major business, biggest sport business in Finland I think, but still one incompete guy is trying to run show alone.
It's true that there are many thinks in Jokerit organization that could be done more efficiently, but as long as they are underachieving other SM-liiga teams have a lot better change to succeed. If Jokerit would do a good job in every aspect of the business they would be a superior force in Finnish hockey(that wouldn't be fun for majority of us).

Old
02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
(A-juniors, mostly 89-90-borns)

(B-juniors, 91-borns mostly)
A little correction. A-juniors are 88-89 born, B:s are 90-91 born and C:s mostly 92. There is an exception that maximum 5 1987 born "overagers" are accepted on junior A.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Yep, as I said Blomqvist has a bad temper, but I was trying to point out that it's a bit of an overstatement to say that he's solely responsible of nearly destroying a players career as the organization plays a big part in these affairs as well. Plus IMO Lehterä developed a lot as a player under Blomqvist's command, so he ain't that hopeless in coaching as many people for example in Jatkoaika.com seem to think.
Many people at Jatkoaika.com are of the opinion that it's just not Blomqvist's temper but his skills of developing players. Lehterä was probably so good that he couldn't be ruined by "Jönni". Kim Strömberg hasn't developed much this year has he? There's rumours that the parents of several Jokerit b-juniors want to take their kids to a better coaching environment.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
A little correction. A-juniors are 88-89 born, B:s are 90-91 born and C:s mostly 92. There is an exception that maximum 5 1987 born "overagers" are accepted on junior A.
Yeah, it's easy to see 88's are dominating role in A-juniors, since most of top points are from players who are 88's or 87's. There is just couple of 90's(Sointu) and 91's(Rajala) in A-juniors of course with nice points etc.

Old
02-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Kim Strömberg hasn't developed much this year has he?
I believe that Shedden and Jokerit as a organization are to blame for this as Strömberg has mostly been training with the first team. Plus the player must do the actual work himself, so he has a crucial role in this as well. Perhaps Mestis would have been the best choice for Strömberg this season.

Quote:
There's rumours that the parents of several Jokerit b-juniors want to take their kids to a better coaching environment.
People are allways looking for better options and as I said Blues is IMO the best option in capitol region at the moment. Better coaching and a better organization -> better results.

Old
03-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Tormentor

Final regular season stats for top 92born players in BSM:

NameTeamPos.GPGAP
PULKKINEN Teemu Jokerit F 23 23 17 40
GRANLUND Mikael Kärpät F 22 18 22 40
DONSKOI Joonas Kärpät F 21 9 14 23
KOSKI Eetu Lukko F 24 9 11 20
HALINEN Petteri Blues F 24 4 14 18
HÄMÄLÄINEN Roope SaiPa F 16 3 7 10
VÄKIPARTA Riku Lukko D 19 2 5 7

NameTeamPos.GPSOGAAS%
HÄRMÄ Riku Kärpät G 14 1 2.41 92.93

Old
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Final regular season stats for top 92born players in BSM:

NameTeamPos.GPGAP
PULKKINEN Teemu Jokerit F 23 23 17 40
GRANLUND Mikael Kärpät F 22 18 22 40
DONSKOI Joonas Kärpät F 21 9 14 23
KOSKI Eetu Lukko F 24 9 11 20
HALINEN Petteri Blues F 24 4 14 18
HÄMÄLÄINEN Roope SaiPa F 16 3 7 10
VÄKIPARTA Riku Lukko D 19 2 5 7

NameTeamPos.GPSOGAAS%
HÄRMÄ Riku Kärpät G 14 1 2.41 92.93
Wow Pulkkinen put it on to get to 40. I'm really really impressed with these players. Harma will be a beast.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
FINNtastic

Well I saw Pulkkinen play against JYP B last Saturday for the first time ever. Expectations were high but he managed to convince me with his talent. Not surprisingly he was a good skater with brilliant offensive instincts. A couple of times he showed his stickhandling skills which were impressive. He went by defensemen purely using his stickhandling. I like to add that there were also moments when he just skated past the defensemen. It was just like he wanted to show off his diversity.

In the first period he often tried to hit the opponent through the wall but he fortunately cooled off as the game went on. I think his brother's eagerness to play the body affected Teemu's style of play in the early moments of the game. Surprise surprise Teemu has good chemistry with his brother Tony. They played the whole game in the same line as wingers for center Tomi-Pekka Tuomisto.

It was clear that Teemu wasn't the most reliable defensive forward on the ice. When his team lost the puck in the offensive end there was a certain point to which Teemu was backchecking and after that he was already gearing up for the next attack. His willingness to attack shows in his offensive production. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that he's not very eager to defend but there will be a time and/or a coach that will make him more responsible in his team's own zone. And how many good 2-way forwards we Finns actually have already

In conclusion I was very impressed of what I saw. I saw a player who was both fast and skilled.

Two players really stood out in the game Teemu Pulkkinen and JYP defenseman Sami Vatanen (Honorable mentions to Lari Arima and Tony Pulkkinen). Vatanen is one of the best defensemen that I have seen in a while. During the game I kept saying to myself "Oh why can't he be just a bit bigger". At 5'8'' 141 lbs he was one the smallest players on the ice but his skating and puck handling could only be matched by Teemu Pulkkinen. At times it looked like Vatanen is able to do whatever he likes to do on the ice. A perfect example was his SH-goal in which he skated past everyone starting nearly from his own zone and dummied the keeper with a nice move. An excellent offensive defenseman with solid skills in the defensive zone. He made great plays in his own zone as well. He positioned himself well. He didn't let his small stature affect his play at all. Only a couple of times his lack of strength showed (mainly in the corners)

Here are his stats this season:

Sami Vatanen JYP B (draft eligible 2009)
26 games 7 + 25 = 32 (7th in scoring, 1st among d-men)

Finland U17
11 games 2 + 7 = 9

Remember the name.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
It was clear that Teemu wasn't the most reliable defensive forward on the ice. When his team lost the puck in the offensive end there was a certain point to which Teemu was backchecking and after that he was already gearing up for the next attack. His willingness to attack shows in his offensive production. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that he's not very eager to defend but there will be a time and/or a coach that will make him more responsible in his team's own zone. And how many good 2-way forwards we Finns actually have already
That reminds me of young Juhamatti Aaltonen, as he used to play lazy defense as well and float around in the neutral zone even in ASM. I was worried that it would prevent Aaltonen from succeeding in SM-liiga, but he learned to play defense pretty quickly once he moved to seniors. Plus it might be that Pulkkinen's coach wants him to play the way he's playing as it helps the team more in doing so.
Quote:
Vatanen is one of the best defensemen that I have seen in a while. During the game I kept saying to myself "Oh why can't he be just a bit bigger". At 5'8'' 141 lbs he was one the smallest players on the ice but his skating and puck handling could only be matched by Teemu Pulkkinen. At times it looked like Vatanen is able to do whatever he likes to do on the ice. A perfect example was his SH-goal in which he skated past everyone starting nearly from his own zone and dummied the keeper with a nice move. An excellent offensive defenseman with solid skills in the defensive zone. He made great plays in his own zone as well. He positioned himself well. He didn't let his small stature affect his play at all. Only a couple of times his lack of strength showed (mainly in the corners)
I was very impressed with Vatanen as well when JYP played here in Oulu awhile back. He's really fast and carries the puck exceptionally well, plus he makes good openings. Overall it felt almost like young Petteri Nummelin was playing in that game. Another player that really stood out from JYP was Nättinen as he moves well for a guy of his size and has fairly soft hands(prototype of a third line NHL player).

Old
03-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Tormentor

BSM play-offs

Blues - KalPa 2 - 1 OT
HPK - Tappara 5 - 6 OT

Kärpät - JYP 6 - 1
- Granlund with three assists. First one from the face-off, second one came from Granlund's own shot that was deflected from Donskoi and the third one was a beautiful cross-the-ice pass in the offensive zone. Granlund had a breakaway while Kärpät was playing short-handed in the second period, but was unable to score as he was fouled by a JYP defender.
- Donskoi has had some problems with his game lately, but he really stepped up his game in the third period and was one of the best players on the ice. He has grown quite a lot since the start of the season and he seems to have some problems with his coordination from time to time.
- Härmä played a solid game with 31 saves and only allowing one goal.
- Vatanen had a breakaway in the first period but was unable to score as he hit the post. Kärpät played rough against him and he was injured after an open ice collision in the second period. Probably nothing serious but he didn't play after the incident and didn't show up for the third period.
- Nättinen had a poor game and was apparently benched in the second period as I didn't notice him in the third period.
- Overall the game was much tighter than the scoreboard shows and JYP had their moments especially in the second period, but were unable to score more than one goal.

Jokerit - HIFK 9 - 5
Pulkkinen with 4 goals and one assist. One of the goals came from PS.

Old
03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Tormentor

ASM play-offs:
Toni Rajala has played on the second line for Ilves and Erik Haula on the fourth line for Ässät. Tommi Kivistö and Nico Manelius are out of the playoffs as Jokerit lost for the third time to JYP today.
RAJALA Toni Ilves 4gp 0g+3a=3p
HAULA Erik Ässät 3gp 0g+0a=0p
KIVISTÖ Tommi Jokerit 4gp 0g+3a=3p
MANELIUS Nico Jokerit 4gp 0g+0a=0p

BSM play-offs:
JYP - Kärpät 3 - 4
Granlund 2+0, Donskoi 0+2

HIFK - Jokerit 4 - 6
Pulkkinen 3+1

Pulkkinen has been on fire in his first two play-off games and Granlund and Donskoi have produced pretty well as well.
PULKKINEN Teemu Jokerit 2gp 7g+2a=9p
GRANLUND Mikael Kärpät 2gp 2g+3a=5p
DONSKOI Joonas Kärpät 2gp 1g+3a=4p

Old
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Tormentor

BSM play-offs

Pulkkinen and Granlund will play against each other in the semi-finals:
15.03.2008 12:30 Pirkkola Jokerit - Kärpät
16.03.2008 11:15 Raksila Kärpät - Jokerit

if needed:
(18.03.2008 18:30 Pirkkola Jokerit - Kärpät)

Jokerit will probably get a lot of help from juniorA: Pitkänen, Kivistö, Eronen, Helenius and Manelius. Kärpät will only get Komulainen and Seppänen from juniorA, so Jokerit is likely to be a clear favorite in this match-up as they also won the regular series.

I'll probably write a short report from the second game. I would love to hear something from the first game as well so if someone is going to that game, write a few words for us.

Last edited by Tormentor: 03-14-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old
03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
FINNtastic

Now I've seen Granlund play as well (against JYP). He was as good I expected, nice speed, good hands etc. Compared to Pulkkinen his all-around game is more polished but I think he's behind Pulkkinen when speaking of pure skill. Granlund seems to be defensively responsible but as a center he should be.

A difference between styles and positions as well is that Granlund often got the puck when he was in his own zone and started to carry it from there. But when Jokerit got the puck in their own zone Pulkkinen was often already waiting for a pass between the red and blue line. I brought this up because I think it puts the total points scored in to a perspective.

Joonas Donskoi surprised me. He was almost as good as Granlund. Those two looked to be equally talented. Same kind of skillset (fast, agile, hands and vision) But that's based on just one game.

From what I've seen, Joonas Nättinen will have to develop (a lot) if he wants to be drafted (2009). He's good but every time I see him play I get a feeling that something is missing. Sure he's big but he's not using his size effectively. He also has soft hands, a decent shot and nice top speed but… it's not quite enough. Maybe, if he someday manages to put it all together, he'll be a fine hockey player.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
A difference between styles and positions as well is that Granlund often got the puck when he was in his own zone and started to carry it from there. But when Jokerit got the puck in their own zone Pulkkinen was often already waiting for a pass between the red and blue line. I brought this up because I think it puts the total points scored in to a perspective.
Here's a another perspective to total points scored:
Power-play points in BSM:
1st GRANLUND Mikael Kärpät 22gp 9g+9a=18p
11th PULKKINEN Teemu Jokerit 23gp 7g+4a=11p

-> Granlund seems to rely more heavily on Power-play than Pulkkinen who is more effective when playing equal-strength.

Quote:
Joonas Donskoi surprised me. He was almost as good as Granlund. Those two looked to be equally talented. Same kind of skillset (fast, agile, hands and vision) But that's based on just one game.
Donskoi is perhaps even more skillful than Granlund and he's a really entertaining player to watch when opposition gives him enough time and space to make his moves, but in a tougher game he's a lot more unnoticeable than Granlund who usually shines no matter what the conditions are. This can of course change in the future as both players are still developing.

Quote:
From what I've seen, Joonas Nättinen will have to develop (a lot) if he wants to be drafted (2009). He's good but every time I see him play I get a feeling that something is missing. Sure he's big but he's not using his size effectively. He also has soft hands, a decent shot and nice top speed but… it's not quite enough. Maybe, if he someday manages to put it all together, he'll be a fine hockey player.
Taller guys need more time to develop their muscles, so I believe that once he reaches a higher strength level he'll be a tough case to the defenders with the skating and hands he has. I think that Nättinen has a lot of unused potential, but it requires a lot of work and good coaches to get it out to the open. The two games that I have seen from him this season were really uneven in terms of performance, so there is probably a lot of room for improvement in his level of consistency as well.

Old
03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Tormentor

BSM play-offs

Jokerit - Kärpät (5 - 1)
00:22 1 - 0 PULKKINEN Teemu (SUORANIEMI Olli)
03:39 2 - 0 PULKKINEN Teemu (VANNESLUOMA Olli, KOIVISTO Henrik)
14:28 3 - 0 SUORANIEMI Olli (MANELIUS Nico, HELENIUS Jani)
29:13 3 - 1 DONSKOI Joonas (GRANLUND Mikael)
30:20 4 - 1 SUORANIEMI Olli (ERONEN Teemu, PITKÄNEN Ilmari)
32:44 5 - 1 PITKÄNEN Ilmari (ERONEN Teemu, KIVISTÖ Tommi)

Old
03-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

WOW I totally forgot about Nico Manelius. How did he do this season?

Old
03-16-2008, 05:03 AM
korxi

I was at jokerit-kärpät game yesterday. Some observations:

Teemu Pulkkinen was most noticable player in the first 30 mins, later when the game was 5-1 he was used sparingly. Usually he was in the 2nd PP unit. Besides goal scoring he set up team mates for a few great chances. Isnt afraid of traffic and usually in the corners he can take some beating and protect the puck a bit with slick moves.

Grandlund was noticable too in a positive way, carried puck fast and had good hustle.

Besides the goal i didint notice Donskoi that much.

Jokerit PP was clearly better than Kärpät PP and especially Kivistö moved the puck calmly. Too bad he injured his ankle and had leave the game. Tony Pulkkinen was also injured, so Jokerit might be without 2 key players in the next matches

Finally I havent watched that many hockey games live, so dont take my opinions too seriously

korxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 05:05 AM
deanosaur

i like finnish names

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
WOW I totally forgot about Nico Manelius. How did he do this season?
Pretty well. Played allmost whole season in A-juniors. 7points in 37games, which isn't bad for -91 D against 2-4y older players and in not so good team.

Old
03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Tormentor

BSM Playoffs

Kärpät - Jokerit (2 - 3) -> Jokerit to the Finals
03:44 0 - 1 KOIVISTO Henrik (PULKKINEN Teemu, TALJA Jori)
19:53 0 - 2 PULKKINEN Teemu (VANNESLUOMA Olli, ERONEN Teemu)
43:55 0 - 3 VEHMASSALO Jiri (TUOMISTO Tomi-Pekka, LAINE Jere)
46:08 1 - 3 NIEMELÄ Mikko (NIVA Janne, JÄRVELÄ Olli-Matti)
58:36 2 - 3 GRANLUND Mikael (DONSKOI Joonas, PARTANEN Eero)

First period:
3:44 Pulkkinen gets the puck behind the net and almost immediately passes the puck without looking with a back-hander to the front of the net and Koivisto scores easily.
6:min Pulkkinen receives a pass that crossed two lines after he floated in the neutral-zone. Pulkkinen brings the puck in to the offensive-zone and shoots from defender's feet.
10:min Pulkkinen skates through the neutral-zone and beautifully dekes two opponents, but falls once crosses the blue-line.
11:min Granlund with a good pass after a face-off win
12:min Pulkkinen exchanges few punches after a "traffic jam" in front of his own net.
19:min Donskoi shoots and Granlund throws a good hit.
19:53 Pulkkinen scores an easy goal from a pass of Vannesluoma, after the goalie loses the possession of the puck behind the net and ain't quite ready to make a save.

Second period:
21:min Granlund passes from the middle and Donskoi shoots from the right-side.
23:min Pulkkinen makes two good passes on the power-play from the right side.
24:min Pulkkinen shouts at the referee that the puck was in play when ref unjustly halts the game.
25:min Pulkkinen shoots wide after a Jokerit face-off win.
26:min Granlund brings the puck well to the offensive-zone and shoots from the middle, goalie barely makes a save and reflects the puck wide.
30:min Donskoi with a good scoring change in front of the net.
38:min Pulkkinen back-checks well and ten seconds later shouts in the neutral-zone for a pass, but never receives one. Would've been a break-away chance.

Third period:
40:min Granlund with a surprisingly powerful hit.
43:min Pulkkinen skates around the offensive-zone and shoots well.
43:55 Jokerit scores after a face-off win. Easy shot from close to the blue-line that goes in from between the goalies legs.
45:min Donskoi controls the puck well for a long time, but is unable to shoot.
46:08 Kärpät scores from the front of the net with a one-timer after a pass from the right side.
47:min Granlund and Donskoi produced good offensive-zone pressure, Granlund with a shot and a bit later Jokerit receives a penalty.
49:min Granlund brings the puck well to the offensive-zone with great speed, stops, waits for a second and makes an incredible pass to a great scoring opportunity while Kärpät were in power-play. Former pro a few seats from me shouts in disbelieve of Granlund's play-making skills.
57:min Granlund shoots after a Kärpät face-off win.
58:36 Granlund scores from a distance with a good slap-shot to the top-shelf. Not sure that was it Donskoi that was the first passer or not.

Some observations from the game:
- Pulkkinen didn't get too much ice-time later in the 2nd and the 3rd period(None in the final minutes). Granlund and Donskoi received a lot of ice-time in the third period.
- Pulkkinen usually floats in the neutral-zone, if there is no maximum pressure in the Defensive-zone.
- In the defensive-zone Pulkkinen often stays close to the blue-line and looks for offensive opportunities.
- Kivistö and Manelius didn't really stand-up from the mass.
- Pulkkinen is quite a lot slower skater than Rajala, but his offensive game is on a lot higher level compared to last season's Rajala.
- Pulkkinen changes direction well on full speed and controls the puck extremely well.
- Overall an average BSM play-off-game compared to some games that I've seen in previous years.
- Pulkkinen is not afraid of going to the front of the net or the corners, but the lack of strength makes its restrictions.
- Overall Jokerit was a bit more talented and better team, and deserved to win.

Last edited by Tormentor: 03-18-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old
03-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Looks like Pulkkinen has a great head on his shoulders, great hockey sence. Very proud of our little Suomis now.

Old
03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
Looks like Pulkkinen has a great head on his shoulders, great hockey sence. Very proud of our little Suomis now.
hahahahah i see where you got the game summart from hey!

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote