HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Non Hockey: Marbury a Knick..

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Davisian

vCash: 500
Non Hockey: Marbury a Knick..

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_knicks_trade

The garden's other residents just scored themselves a star..

Don't know how good the deal is, as I'm not a huge Basketball fan, but seems like the Knicks unloaded some deadweight..

If only the Rangers would follow suit..

Old
01-05-2004, 10:28 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_knicks_trade

The garden's other residents just scored themselves a star..

Don't know how good the deal is, as I'm not a huge Basketball fan, but seems like the Knicks unloaded some deadweight..

If only the Rangers would follow suit..
Not only did they unload weight, they unloaded two 1st round draft picks, a good prospect (Lampe), and added $150 million to an already way-over-the-cap salary. Typical Garden move. Screwing the future just to have a better chance at making the playoffs. Even if they do make it, where the hell are they going?! Nowhere.

In hockey terms...this trade is equivalent to the Rangers trading Lindros, Malakhov, Lundmark, and two first rounders for Jagr. Sure we unload dead weight (Vlad), but we drain our youth and add an immense amount of salary, all the while not getting that muchh better.

Im pissed, and Im not even a Knick fan. I fear for Joe Beningo's life. He's probably slitting his wrists right now. Cant wait to hear him rant tonight!

Old
01-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Fletch

Thought that Vujanic...

was supposed to be the real thing in terms of a point guard in a couple years. And I don't remember about Lampe. As for the two number one picks..sounds pretty steep. All-in-all, it doesn't take a basketball genius to figure out that this helps the Knicks immediately and really seems to be the quick fix of all quick fixes.

Old
01-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Fletch

Interesting Van Horn comment..

"On paper, talentwise, this puts us right up there at the top," Van Horn said. "But that's just paper."

Sound familiar.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Man the Knicks are terrible. I think they are worse than the Rangers. WFAN sure will be good tonight.. just put mike and the dog on, lets see what they say.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Typical Garden move. Screwing the future just to have a better chance at making the playoffs. Even if they do make it, where the hell are they going?! Nowhere.

In hockey terms...this trade is equivalent to the Rangers trading Lindros, Malakhov, Lundmark, and two first rounders for Jagr. Sure we unload dead weight (Vlad), but we drain our youth and add an immense amount of salary, all the while not getting that muchh better.

Maybe, but Basketball seems a very different animal to me.. Teams don't seem to build through the draft, and young talent seems to be constantly switching teams until they finally develop.. Unless it's a top lottery pick..

As I said, I'm not a big basketball fan, but it just seems like the NBA is a "now" league, and getting the best player in a deal is usually the winner..

Then again, could be a "typical garden move."

Old
01-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Kluivert4Ever

This was a GREAT move.

What did we give up?
Ward? We got Norris and Williams
Eisley? Good riddance
Dyess? Like him but will never contribute to us
Lampe? Good project but not a sure thing far from it
Milos? Dont wanna come here anyway.
The picks?
Well this years draft SUCKS after the top 3 so who cares bout that pick.
The next years pick is the only pick that feels bad giving up.

We got a 26(!) year old star player thats not like getting Jagr.
We got a solid player of the bench in Penny.

We set oursleves up to make another deal perhaps Norris/KVH for Rasheed Wallace if we take up some bad contracts.
We might have to give them Williams instad of Norris because they are high on him.

Marbury
Houston
Penny
Rasheed
Mutombo

Bench:
Thomas
Anderson
Norris/Williams
Harrington

How many teams got a starting 5 as competent as that one?Im not just talking about the East.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Vujanic, and the potential high picks if this team doesn't do well, are what makes this trade questionable. Not to mention that this just insured that this team will never be below the cap for the next 10 years, which means what we see on the floor next game is what we will be seeing for a long time, and any big time free agent will never be signed by the Knicks...

Old
01-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
Vujanic, and the potential high picks if this team doesn't do well, are what makes this trade questionable. Not to mention that this just insured that this team will never be below the cap for the next 10 years, which means what we see on the floor next game is what we will be seeing for a long time, and any big time free agent will never be signed by the Knicks...

First of the Knicks will do well trust me I got faith in Isiah.
2nd this deal has NO impact on the cap what so ever.
Until 2007 when Houston´s contract is of the books we wont be under the cap anyway and after 2007 all of Houston´s,Van Horn´s and Marbury´s will be done with so this deal really doesn´t impact the cap at all.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:55 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
2nd this deal has NO impact on the cap what so ever.
How is that possible? They have 3 maxed out contracts...

Old
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I could care less about the Knicks (and the NBA in general) but I sure as heck hope this works out. Maybe then Dolan will realize a regime change is needed in his other toy...er...hobby...franchise.

01-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
How is that possible? They have 3 maxed out contracts...

Yes it has an impact on the cap but no inpact on us getting under it any later then we would have without this deal.
Until Houston´s contract expires in 2007 we will never be under the cap so it doesn´t matter if we are more over the cap now as long as we dont take to many contracts after 2007.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Bure9*

I wonder who's behind this deal? Doesn't it seem strange that whoever is brought in here makes the same freakin moves as his predecessor? Dolan doesn't care about the future, he's the typical American businessman. ***** the long term, I want short-term success.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Fletch

Good point Singin'...

You really have to wonder what Li'l Jimmy's thought process is here. What type of snow job did Sather throw him. Obvioulsy Jimmy thinks he knows a bit about basketball, so it's no surprise he's finally awoken (wish I could've heard what Sprewell had said to him - I think we should all take up a collection for Spre to get him that money back). Downside is it was a trade for a 26 year old superstar.

The trade, in hockey terms, is not like trading for Jagr and it's way too tough to compare hockey to basketball considering in any game 5 player scan play 80% of the entire game and be the difference and in hockey, that's not likely.

The deal, by the way, is likely all Isiah. He was a point guard too, right? Must think that the point guard's the most important position on the team and the Knicks have not had one (and had they had a better one in '94, they would've easily beat the Rockets).

Old
01-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Pipo

Send a message via Yahoo to Pipo
the knicks weren't going to be under the cap anytime soon... and adding stephen and penny's contracts assures that... so in the meantime, while waiting for allan's and co.'s contracts to expire, we might as well field a playoff contender... and they did... this team will atleat be at .500 for the next 4 years...

fyi on penny... he's not the same penny from the lil penny commercials with chris rock... that was several knee injuries ago... should be a nice addition of the bench though...

Old
01-06-2004, 04:23 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
The trade, in hockey terms, is not like trading for Jagr and it's way too tough to compare hockey to basketball considering in any game 5 player scan play 80% of the entire game and be the difference and in hockey, that's not likely.

The deal, by the way, is likely all Isiah. He was a point guard too, right? Must think that the point guard's the most important position on the team and the Knicks have not had one (and had they had a better one in '94, they would've easily beat the Rockets).
You're right Fletch. They are two sports are different animals. A point guard is the General of a basketball army. He controls the flow of the game. The Knicks haven't had a top PG since Walt Frazier. This is all Isiah. He even said he came to the conclusion that the Knicks need a PG from watching Kidd and the Nets come into the Garden and control the Knicks this past week.

Kluivert is right. The trade has no impact on the Cap as the Knicks were not gonna be under it anytime during the length of Marbury's contract anyways. What should be worrisome about the trade is the 1st rounders although the 2005 1st is conditional (I think), and Lampe who if he pans out could be something that the Knicks will be kicking themselves over for years to come. Also Marbury has had attitude problems in the past and has not gotten along well with Van Horn. Hopefully he grows up and becomes a better team player now that he's back in NY where he dreamed of playing while growing up.

Closed Thread