Notices

kpd/hoh pp comment/suggestion

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
b-orr-k

vCash: 500
kpd/hoh pp comment/suggestion

HOH, The pp statistic (the Bruins were 1 for 5 tonite...) is probably the most misleading statistic (yet I believe an important one). Right now, if team A goes on the pp at 11:40, but then is whistled for a penalty at 11:50-they are then officially "0 for 1" on the pp. Similarly team B will get a 10 second pp that starts at 13:40 and will then be "0 for 1" if they don't score on their 10 second pp. In addition, if a team scores 3 goals on a 5-minute advantage they could be labelled as going "3 for1".

A means of equalizing the pp efficiencies of all teams is very simple. The statistic would represent how many goals per game a team would score if they had a perpetual powerplay. For instance, if a team had two shortened power plays that lasted 35 seconds each, two full 2-minute pps that they didn't score on, and then scored 50 seconds into a fifth power play they would have scored one goal in a total of 4 minutes (240 seconds). The pp rating would then be 1 x (3600/240) = 15 (i.e. if the team had a perpetual pp they would score 15 goals per game because there are 3600 seconds in a game).

All one needs is the number of seconds that a team was on the powerplay and the number of goals that were scored. This would create a rating that would be much more representative of a team's tendencies and capabilities, and doesn't account for the shortened pps. There could even be a rating for a 2-man advantage. I think this would be most interesting if the league enacted it, and could serve as a measure of top-end talent evaluation.

The current system is analogous to having a batter face one pitch and then have the at-bat called off yet they are considered to have gone 0 for 1.

Comments/?
Thanks

Old
01-06-2004, 05:08 PM
BruinsCupNow

If I'm not mistaken, the NHL actually tried that one year...or at least something similar. They calculated the goals scored per minutes of power play time.

It was about as popular as the new scoring methods for figure skating.

Hmmm...now that I mention that...I wonder if Tonya Harding might fit in on the Bruin's defence corps.

--BCN

Old
01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-orr-k
HOH, The pp statistic (the Bruins were 1 for 5 tonite...) is probably the most misleading statistic (yet I believe an important one). Right now, if team A goes on the pp at 11:40, but then is whistled for a penalty at 11:50-they are then officially "0 for 1" on the pp. Similarly team B will get a 10 second pp that starts at 13:40 and will then be "0 for 1" if they don't score on their 10 second pp. In addition, if a team scores 3 goals on a 5-minute advantage they could be labelled as going "3 for1".

A means of equalizing the pp efficiencies of all teams is very simple. The statistic would represent how many goals per game a team would score if they had a perpetual powerplay. For instance, if a team had two shortened power plays that lasted 35 seconds each, two full 2-minute pps that they didn't score on, and then scored 50 seconds into a fifth power play they would have scored one goal in a total of 4 minutes (240 seconds). The pp rating would then be 1 x (3600/240) = 15 (i.e. if the team had a perpetual pp they would score 15 goals per game because there are 3600 seconds in a game).

All one needs is the number of seconds that a team was on the powerplay and the number of goals that were scored. This would create a rating that would be much more representative of a team's tendencies and capabilities, and doesn't account for the shortened pps. There could even be a rating for a 2-man advantage. I think this would be most interesting if the league enacted it, and could serve as a measure of top-end talent evaluation.

The current system is analogous to having a batter face one pitch and then have the at-bat called off yet they are considered to have gone 0 for 1.

Comments/?
Thanks

I think that if you take a penalty while on the PP, you deserve to go 0-1... You blew the powerplay..
The other team on the other hand...
I'm not too sure this is that big of a deal, however... This doesn't happen often enough to really affect overall stats...
And besides... Theoritically, every team would have that happen to them about the same amount of times during the season, therefore PP rankings would not change.

Old
01-07-2004, 03:42 AM
whatsbruin

Something else I have wondered about is why an
empty net goal counts as a goal against the goalie.

And overtime goals count against the goals against
stat. Because the B's are in so many ties, and overtime
games these O.T. goals count against the B's goalies.

Not sure how much these inflate the stats, but something
to consider.

Closed Thread