HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3rd Line Center: Who will it be? (merged)

View Poll Results: Who will be the Rangers' 3rd line center out of training camp?
Brandon Dubinsky 81 55.48%
Artem Anisimov 27 18.49%
Other (please specify) 38 26.03%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Bretzky*

vCash: 500
3rd Line Center: Who will it be? (merged)

Dubinsky and Anisimov are the two most likely candidates.

If other, please specify (ie: if you think Avery will play 3rd line C, which other youngster will make the forward lineup out of training camp?)

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:18 AM
TrueBlueSwede

Avery

TrueBlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:36 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Avery

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Avery

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:08 AM
The_Captain

Avery

The_Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:29 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Avery's not a center, it would be counter-productive to put him in that spot. It forces one to think to much and it's gonna take away from his instincts as a winger.

keep him along the boards and you will have a very effective Avery, force him to be something he is not and he will dissappoint.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
TUQ

Betts

Lines:

Straka Gomez Jagr
Avery Drury Shannahan
Hossa Betts Callahan
Prucha Holweg Dawes/Orr

Last edited by TUQ: 08-22-2007 at 05:48 AM. Reason: lines
TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:51 AM
incident

Dubinsky seems the most likely. Wouldn't be suprised if both him and Anisimov are given a shot during the season.

Can't see Avery getting the job, after the Buffalo series Renney hinted that not having a proper center had hurt his line.

incident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
This'll work fine.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Prucha-Gomez-Shanahan
Hossa-Avery-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Bourret

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Straka?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 06:50 AM
BringBackNeilSmith

Straka.

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Straka-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

BringBackNeilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 07:14 AM
livewell68

I think you guys might be surprised to see that come season time, you might find Straka playing center on the first line and centering Hossa and Jagr. This will make it that we have two guys capable of playing center on the second line. By putting Gomez, Drury and Shanahan together on the second line, it will force opposing teams to respect the second line and thus freeing up Jagr on the first line.

Even though Straka is not a good faceoff man, he is quite good in his own end defensively and whatever Jagr lacks in defense, will be covered by Hossa and Straka who are both very good two-way players.
Straka is very capable of playing center and even though he's a better left winger, he's had some great success playing center on Jagr's line, and we are given a great example of that in the 1998-99 season when Straka scored a career high 35 goals and had 83 points playing center with Jagr, while Jagr had 44 goals and 83 assists for 127 points en route to the Hart and Art Ross trophies. Hossa on the other hand can benefit very much from playing with Jagr and Straka and can very well have a breakout year and maybe become the player that everyone thought he'd be. Let's not forget that some actually thought in the beginning that Marcel Hossa is the better of the two Hossa brothers.
So the chemistry is there between Straka and Jagr, and I truly believe that the best way to maximize Straka's talent and utility is by pairing him up with Jagr. Those two together are capable of having better chemistry than Nylander and Jagr did. Keep that line together constantly and you have the makes of one of the best first lines in hockey, and this will also keep Jagr happy, Hossa and Straka will give Jagr the puck and let him play his game.

As for the third line, we'd have Callahan, Prucha and Avery playing there. This would make for a very good and capable third line. Great speed, tenacity and hustle would be the characteristics of this line. Prucha and Callahan are still developing as players and both bring an up-side on offensive and defense. We all know what Avery brings to the table as well. Prucha could play center for this line, and since he is listed as a center, and is very capable of taking faceoffs, he would be a good fit on the third line.

This would leave Orr, Betts, Hollweg and the youngsters to battle it out for the 4th line spots.

We would have three very good lines, and two potentially explosive offensive lines in Hossa-Straka-Jagr and Shanahan-Drury-Gomez.

This is how the lines would be: If you're gonna play Straka at center, might as well do it with Jagr, where he will be used to his maximum

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Shanahan-Drury-Gomez
Callahan-Prucha-Avery
Dubinsky-Betts-Hollweg

Last edited by livewell68: 08-22-2007 at 07:23 AM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 07:17 AM
nyr339

I can't vote in this, but I think that Dubinsky should get the first shot, but we have so many in house possibilities that nobody knows, also that was why I was against signing peca in the first place.

nyr339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 07:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Dubinsky -

But who knows if hes even ready, which is why Peca wouldve worked. (but im not going to re-hash on that) Camp will tell. I like Dubinsky and his game but like the Rangers have said - i'd like to see him dominate at the AHL level before bringing him up permanently.

Bringing him up in stints isn't bad but directly out of camp might not be the best for him, especially when he won't be getting enough ice time to start the season.

I really don't like the idea of Straka or Avery centering the third line. They are much better suited on the wing, where their true positions are. Don't even mention Betts because if this turns into a Betts for third line center thread its going to turn into more of a mess than that Peca thread was.

Straka had a 40.4 faceoff percentage last year
Avery's i can't find and thats a direct result of him being a WINGER and not a center.

Faceoffs arent everything but they are a big part of a centers game IMO. IF i had to choose between those two guys it would be Straka but i really think he'd be a much more valuable asset on the top line with Jagr and Gomez (or Drury) - why would you put a 70 point guy on the third line AND out of his original position? Doesnt make sense to me.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Straka had a 40.4 faceoff percentage last year
Avery's i can't find and thats a direct result of him being a WINGER and not a center.
Or you couldn't find it because you have no idea what you're doing perhaps? Its not a very difficult thing to find on most major sports pages. NHL.com has it even: 49.3% (54.4% in the playoffs). THe three years before that: 44.2%, 54.8%, 56%

Avery's played center quite a bit before; there'd be no problem in having him do it for the 3rd line:

Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Shanny-Drury-Prucha
Callahan-Avery-Dawes/Hossa??
Orr-Betts-Hollweg

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I think you guys might be surprised to see that come season time, you might find Straka playing center on the first line and centering Hossa and Jagr. This will make it that we have two guys capable of playing center on the second line. By putting Gomez, Drury and Shanahan together on the second line, it will force opposing teams to respect the second line and thus freeing up Jagr on the first line.

Even though Straka is not a good faceoff man, he is quite good in his own end defensively and whatever Jagr lacks in defense, will be covered by Hossa and Straka who are both very good two-way players.
Straka is very capable of playing center and even though he's a better left winger, he's had some great success playing center on Jagr's line, and we are given a great example of that in the 1998-99 season when Straka scored a career high 35 goals and had 83 points playing center with Jagr, while Jagr had 44 goals and 83 assists for 127 points en route to the Hart and Art Ross trophies. Hossa on the other hand can benefit very much from playing with Jagr and Straka and can very well have a breakout year and maybe become the player that everyone thought he'd be. Let's not forget that some actually thought in the beginning that Marcel Hossa is the better of the two Hossa brothers.
So the chemistry is there between Straka and Jagr, and I truly believe that the best way to maximize Straka's talent and utility is by pairing him up with Jagr. Those two together are capable of having better chemistry than Nylander and Jagr did. Keep that line together constantly and you have the makes of one of the best first lines in hockey, and this will also keep Jagr happy, Hossa and Straka will give Jagr the puck and let him play his game.

As for the third line, we'd have Callahan, Prucha and Avery playing there. This would make for a very good and capable third line. Great speed, tenacity and hustle would be the characteristics of this line. Prucha and Callahan are still developing as players and both bring an up-side on offensive and defense. We all know what Avery brings to the table as well. Prucha could play center for this line, and since he is listed as a center, and is very capable of taking faceoffs, he would be a good fit on the third line.

This would leave Orr, Betts, Hollweg and the youngsters to battle it out for the 4th line spots.

We would have three very good lines, and two potentially explosive offensive lines in Hossa-Straka-Jagr and Shanahan-Drury-Gomez.

This is how the lines would be: If you're gonna play Straka at center, might as well do it with Jagr, where he will be used to his maximum

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Shanahan-Drury-Gomez
Callahan-Prucha-Avery
Dubinsky-Betts-Hollweg
That lineup has zero chance of happening...

Gomez on RW?

We just signed 86 million $$$ worth of centers...trust me, they will be the 1st and 2nd line centers.

the 3rd line slot will be either Dubinsky-Avery or Straka

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Hard to even guess. So much could happen in camp and knowing Renney, he'll try every candidate he has in that spot into the early part of the season.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:11 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Or you couldn't find it because you have no idea what you're doing perhaps? Its not a very difficult thing to find on most major sports pages. NHL.com has it even: 49.3% (54.4% in the playoffs). THe three years before that: 44.2%, 54.8%, 56%

Avery's played center quite a bit before; there'd be no problem in having him do it for the 3rd line:

Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Shanny-Drury-Prucha
Callahan-Avery-Dawes/Hossa??
Orr-Betts-Hollweg
Well excuuuuuse me Mr. Stat-O-Matic!

???

Thanks but no thanks.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I think Straka might make some sense. A lot of smart European players shift to a more defensive role toward the end of their careers. Straka is 34 and with his injuries, his offensive output will likely begin to suffer. After Renneys blunder in game 5, face-offs are on our minds so I understand the concern. Late in games when we are up, even Renney should understand that Drury is your guy and Straka can sit next to Jagr hopefully nowhere near the ice. 2 1/2 periods Straka would be a great 3rd line center/ 2nd line PP. I don't think the face-off stats are that big of a deal if he's used in the right way.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:20 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Play the kids for now if they can cut it.

There are options if need be but they are temporary in my eyes

Avery
Straka
Prucha

can all play some center

Come the deadline if the Rangers are poised to make a real run they can always trade for a guy like Peca and not take the cap hit, or better yet if they really are looking like they have a shot and he's ready to come back and they feel the need......

Peter Forsberg

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:22 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let's Go Dubi!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Prucha
Not in north america..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Betts

Lines:

Straka Gomez Jagr
Avery Drury Shannahan
Hossa Betts Callahan
Prucha Holweg Dawes/Orr
Betts as 3rd line center = no playoffs

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Choice

Avery

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
bathgate

Dubinsky seems the logical choice but my dark horse candidate is Pyatt. He has all the makings of a great third line center. He may be able to make the leap

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote