HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3rd Line Center: Who will it be? (merged)

View Poll Results: Who will be the Rangers' 3rd line center out of training camp?
Brandon Dubinsky 81 55.48%
Artem Anisimov 27 18.49%
Other (please specify) 38 26.03%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Betts as 3rd line center = no playoffs
Betts is simply not even an option on the 3rd line.

11 career assists, he'll kill any offense that line may provide if he was lined up there.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think Avery starts out as third line center with Prucha and Callahan. Dubinsky moves into that spot at some poiny this season.

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Straka-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Avery-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
WheresBarnaby

Give Dubinsky a shot.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think Avery starts out as third line center with Prucha and Callahan. Dubinsky moves into that spot at some poiny this season.

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Straka-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Avery-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr
It's weird how you could make an argument for Hossa to start the season either on the first line or as a 4th liner/spare forward and not really anywhere in between.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Fletch

jags...

one thing's for sure, Drury and Gomez will center the top two lines and will recieve more ice time of other Rangers centermen. I think that's a given.

Second, I'm leaning towards Avery centering a third line. His wingers are trickier, though. Also, let me say I believe Avery because he did play their extensivel last season and he would add grit to the third line, something that was missing on last season's third line. I do believe he and Callahan would work well together. My question is the wing: I can many scenarios for the wing position. I can see Renney using Hossa there, because it is believed that Hossa is good in corners, and as such would be good grinding it out on a third line with Avery. I can see Straka there, who would add a speed element, and with Cally on the other side, you can see some decent offense while not losing anything on defense. I can also see Straka with Jagr, and trying to get to 30 goals again. I can see Hossa with Jagr, again. I can see Straka with Shanny, who again would add speed and create a dangerous second line. I can see Prucha with Shanny. Prucha with Jagr. Not so much Prucha with Avery and Cally though. I can see Hossa with Shanny, again, a second line who is good along the boards and can score.

What I did leave out are any rookies. I think it will be tough for them to make the team out of the gate. I can see call-ups for struggling players in November, but I'm not sure I'm seeing rookies out of the gate.

My current guess for lines (although I'm still debating Hossa/Straka):

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Prucha-Drury-Shanny
Straka-Avery-Cally
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
This'll work fine.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Prucha-Gomez-Shanahan
dawes -Avery-Callahan
Hossa-Betts-hollywood/orr

fixed for you

bourett should not be on the 4th line.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Larry Melnyk

Not the kids...They aren't ready yet..but they will be later in the year...But I have been wrong before!

I've been saying for months that it would be one of Avery or Straka, I still feel that way..I know neither is the perfect choice, but Avery with the right linemates will do it for me...

I also think there's still a possibility that a vet C can be brought in via trade or FA..

All that being said, I love Dubinsky, and would definitely enjoy watching him (or a guy like Dupont, Pyatt, AA, whoever) play. Just don't think he (they) is ready to be consistent at the NHL level..If we go with him and he struggles, then we fall back on the old Betts as 3rd line C and Hollweg as 4th line C scenario)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think going into camp the best three possibilties are..

1. Straka plays center with Jagr with Gomez and Drury following...

2. Avery is the 3rd line center with either Dawes or Korpedo playing the wing

3. Dubinsky wins the 3rd line center job.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
Betts is simply not even an option on the 3rd line.

11 career assists, he'll kill any offense that line may provide if he was lined up there.
The question wasn't "What is the best lineup for NYR", the question is "Who will be our 3rd line center at the beginning of October against Florida Panthers", and based on previous Renney decisions (aka Blair Betts centering Shannahan for a short period of time last season) I think 3rd line center is the position Betts will start the season under Renneys leadership.

Do not misunderstand me, this is not what I want, this is what I think will happen.

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
fixed for you

bourett should not be on the 4th line.
Then maybe this.

Prucha-Drury-Jagr
Shanahan-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Straka-Bourret
Hossa-Betts-H/O

After the start to last season I don't see Dawes making the lineup out of camp... definitely if there's injuries but I think the most ready prospect will be Bourret.. and yes he can be affective on the 4th line.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Then maybe this.

Prucha-Drury-Jagr
Shanahan-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Straka-Bourret
Hossa-Betts-H/O

After the start to last season I don't see Dawes making the lineup out of camp... definitely if there's injuries but I think the most ready prospect will be Bourret.. and yes he can be affective on the 4th line.
the thing is straka sucks at center, so he should play wing before avery...and really last season and this season are different for dawes..and lets not forget he did get a vote of confidence with playing in the playoffs last year.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think going into camp the best three possibilties are..

1. Straka plays center with Jagr with Gomez and Drury following...

2. Avery is the 3rd line center with either Dawes or Korpedo playing the wing

3. Dubinsky wins the 3rd line center job.

The only part of those three possibilities that I think might happen is Avery at 3rd C....However, Not sure Dawes will beat out any of Callahn, Prucha or Hossa, and will end up on the 4th line....As for Korpikoski.., this guy first has to play good in the AHL before he is even a consideration for the NHL...

But I do agree that Dubinsky would have the best chance of all the kids to earn the 3rd C spot..

Old
08-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
The only part of those three possibilities that I think might happen is Avery at 3rd C....However, Not sure Dawes will beat out any of Callahn, Prucha or Hossa, and will end up on the 4th line....As for Korpikoski.., this guy first has to play good in the AHL before he is even a consideration for the NHL...

But I do agree that Dubinsky would have the best chance of all the kids to earn the 3rd C spot..
I'm not sure how much better Korpikosiki has to play in the AHL..He is a perfect example of stats not telling the whole story..

I have a sneaky feeling that Dawes ends up on the 2nd line and avery is the 3rd line center..I hate guessing lines because the "this guy makes to much money to play on the 3rd line" police come on in droves...

there are literally a 1000 ways the Rangers can go this season...

Old
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
philbo

I vote for Straka.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I'm not sure how much better Korpikosiki has to play in the AHL..He is a perfect example of stats not telling the whole story..

I have a sneaky feeling that Dawes ends up on the 2nd line and avery is the 3rd line center..I hate guessing lines because the "this guy makes to much money to play on the 3rd line" police come on in droves...

there are literally a 1000 ways the Rangers can go this season...
You know, I gotta agree with that last statement...There will be so many players, options and possibilities....Way to early to really tell and everything now is justfor giggles and grins...But, the one thing that is certain, is that we finally have a deep enough NHL team and organization where everybody's possibilites are realiastic

I don't think you are alone in thinking Dawes might sneak onto the 2nd line, I just can't see it happening with what we have right now..and knowing how well Renney likes a guy like Hossa (sometimes deserved)...

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Korpikoski...I watched about 7 Wolfpack games last year and on only one night was I impressed with him..The other nights he seemed lost and a total non-entity...But that one night shows that he probably has NHL talent/skill but really needs to work on his consistency and finding his niche as a player...

Old
08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
You know, I gotta agree with that last statement...There will be so many players, options and possibilities....Way to early to really tell and everything now is justfor giggles and grins...But, the one thing that is certain, is that we finally have a deep enough NHL team and organization where everybody's possibilites are realiastic

I don't think you are alone in thinking Dawes might sneak onto the 2nd line, I just can't see it happening with what we have right now..and knowing how well Renney likes a guy like Hossa (sometimes deserved)...

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Korpikoski...I watched about 7 Wolfpack games last year and on only one night was I impressed with him..The other nights he seemed lost and a total non-entity...But that one night shows that he probably has NHL talent/skill but really needs to work on his consistency and finding his niche as a player...
having some many options might not be a good thing if the team gets off to a slow start..what i mean is it might take renney 3 or 4 tries to get the lineup and chemistry right..with the way renney keeps guys together that could mean another first half struggle for the rangers...it's a reason i wanted an open compeition in camp because i think any sense of urgency on the roster to start the season can only be a good thing...

I think if we look at game 6 against buffalo dawes played with avery and shanny and hossa got dropped to the 4th line...i think hossa needs to have a good camp to play in the top 9 simply because renney already knows he can be an effective bottom line player..

i think korpikowski is a legit dark horse to make the team out of camp....i saw a lot of good things with him last season and i think in a year or two everyone of us is going to be saying how important the kid is...is it too soon for him? probably but he has it in him to make the team and his defensive game is already at an nhl level...

Old
08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Fletch

Why don't stats tell Korps' story?

The guy has trouble generating offense, and has struggled offensively for years, be it becasue of his role or age, but that's a fact. He's 'projected' to be a third/second line NHLer. To be that he will need to put up some points. Right now, in Hartford, that's something he needs to start doing. His skating is on par with the NHL. He has NHL size, and he can play on the fourth line in the NHL - but how does he develop the offensive side? It'll be just like the two years prior to the AHL - he'll not develop offensively on a fourth line. No need to rush him, especially considering he can 'play' in the NHL - he needs work.

Also, SoS - I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where Gomez and Drury play second and third line center, unless you plan on not playing the fourth line at all. Second, Straka is not a good centerman. He has not played well every chance he gets. Third, he's horrible on faceoffs. I'd rather have a guy who can win faceoffs play with Jagr to keep the puck in the zone on those offensive zone faceoff situations.

Old
08-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Its either going to be an all Czech line, which I seriously doubt (Prucha, Straka, Jagr)
as our no 1 line, or then it will be Hossa, Drury, Jagr. and Straka will play with Prucha, Avery as center on 3rd.

We need Prucha to thrive (20-30 goals). He will not on the 3 rd line being centered by
Betts, Avery or Dubinsky or any other rookie. A down on himself - offensively fragile Prucha is no good to the team nor good as trade bait.

Straka will easily hold a 3rd line center position.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The possibilities are endless!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I think if we look at game 6 against buffalo dawes played with avery and shanny and hossa got dropped to the 4th line...i think hossa needs to have a good camp to play in the top 9 simply because renney already knows he can be an effective bottom line player..

i think korpikowski is a legit dark horse to make the team out of camp....i saw a lot of good things with him last season and i think in a year or two everyone of us is going to be saying how important the kid is...is it too soon for him? probably but he has it in him to make the team and his defensive game is already at an nhl level...
Hossa was also not in top form coming back from an injury..The ones that need to have a good camp to make the team are the likes of Dawes and Cally...Renney knows Hossa can play well with Jagr already..

I think KORPIKOSKI is at least two years away..There are so many players ahead of him and he has so much work to do before he can make the NHL, if he ever does..

Old
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Straka-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Avery-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr
Agreed SBOB. That sounds like a reasonable scenario.

I also agree with whoever said the dark horse Pyatt. I could see him having an excellent AHL debut a la Callahan and earning a look during the season.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Fletch

SBoB...

if Dubi moves to center, who do you envision being the odd winger out? I've been wondering that myself, and think it may come down to an injury before we see Dubi.

Still, I'm not convinced Prucha would play with Avery and Cally well and think there are better options. I keep confusing what I want to see with what may be reality. Cally and Prucha were wingers on a third line last season, and it makes sense they may start the season there this season because even despite playoff futility, Renney chose not to break them up, although breaking up may've been necessary. Avery's no better playmaker than Cullen, but he can grind it out better and that would go well with Cally. Think there are better options for the left side.

Old
08-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
The guy has trouble generating offense, and has struggled offensively for years, be it becasue of his role or age, but that's a fact. He's 'projected' to be a third/second line NHLer. To be that he will need to put up some points. Right now, in Hartford, that's something he needs to start doing. His skating is on par with the NHL. He has NHL size, and he can play on the fourth line in the NHL - but how does he develop the offensive side? It'll be just like the two years prior to the AHL - he'll not develop offensively on a fourth line. No need to rush him, especially considering he can 'play' in the NHL - he needs work.

Also, SoS - I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where Gomez and Drury play second and third line center, unless you plan on not playing the fourth line at all. Second, Straka is not a good centerman. He has not played well every chance he gets. Third, he's horrible on faceoffs. I'd rather have a guy who can win faceoffs play with Jagr to keep the puck in the zone on those offensive zone faceoff situations.
Fletch, I think korpedos lack of offense is a non-factor..what the guy provides on the defensive side of the game is something every team can use...he reminds me of jan erixon..

also i think if the rangers 4th line consists of hollweg and orr its not going to be used often...jagr played with nylander the past two yeas not exactly a faceoff wizard yet they both put up points...

Old
08-22-2007, 11:24 AM
TheHotRock

Immo needs to be at cmap, this is the perfect chance for him. he's a lot mroe ready than dubinsky and he's a better choice at the pivot than avery

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:29 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

There is zero chance that Straka plays 1st line center with Gomez on the 2nd and Drury on the 3rd, simply not going to happen nor should it.

Straka sucked at center last year, had a 40% faceoff % and that was before the bicep injury he'll be battling all yr this season, and Renney himself has commented on how forcing Straka to the middle even brought down the play of his linemates, not to mention the fact that we didn't bring in Gomez-Drury to get 3rd line minutes.

As for Korpikoski, he is no where near ready for NHL duty and again it has nothing to do with lack of stats, he simply hasn't rounded out his game enough nor found the consistency to warrant such a promotion and he as well the team will be better served with him getting further experience at the AHL level.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote