HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Rankings And Reality

Old
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Prospect Rankings And Reality

if we take a look at the top 18 prospects on the Habs site , ignore the "other notables for now" . As much as we praise them, obviously through depth, trades, position need , cap issues, etc.. all will not be future habs.

Realistically who wont make it in the next few years????? My list is this

1) Aubin, Lemieux - may not be good enough to be depth players

2) Danis, Carle , and Grabovski - too many prospects ahead of them .
Price will be our star , Halak may back him up
too many D depth for Carle to compete, not sure the Habs want a smallish center
moving forward , and I am not convinced he has the offensive game to be a top 2 center .

The rest have a realistic shot down the road.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:01 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
if we take a look at the top 18 prospects on the Habs site , ignore the "other notables for now" . As much as we praise them, obviously through depth, trades, position need , cap issues, etc.. all will not be future habs.

moving forward , and I am not convinced he has the offensive game to be a top 2 center .

Locke, Ferland, Milroy, Danis, Aubin, Lemieux

I disagree on Carle-Grabovski, still some room for them, Carle is just beginning in the AHL, lets see how he does, Grabo can play wing just the same.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:

I was wondering who do you think is ahead of Grabovski as a left winger? The only player I could see is S. Kosty.... and that makes only one guy...

KaTaKlIsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:03 AM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTaKlIsM View Post
I was wondering who do you think is ahead of Grabovski as a left winger? The only player I could see is S. Kosty.... and that makes only one guy...
Carle is in the plan, and will play for the habs imo. But if fisher or subban "bump" him, we should trade him because he has value. he's a future top 4 def with a lot of offensive upside.

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogy View Post
Carle is in the plan, and will play for the habs imo. But if fisher or subban "bump" him, we should trade him because he has value. he's a future top 4 def with a lot of offensive upside.
Trade him to the Sharks!

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

I couldn't disagree with you more about Grabovski. Just watch this guy play once. Just once, with the Habs or the Dogs, and you'll see he's more talented than most of our forward prospects.

He even looked great with the Habs last year. I can't imagine how you could possibly surmise Grabovski could be beaten out by another prospect. He faired well in the playoffs and even then he was playing through a few injuries.

I need one of them Spree Endaz anime 'objections'. I vehemently object.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
saskhab

I think Danis might get claimed off waivers by Detroit if they're planning on doing that whole Hasek doesn't even dress when he doesn't start thing again. I still think Danis can make the NHL, just likely not with us. Same with some of the other guys, like Cote. He could get an opportunity like Jancevski has with Tampa this year to stick with a team when he becomes unrestricted if Montreal has no opportunity for him.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more about Grabovski. Just watch this guy play once. Just once, with the Habs or the Dogs, and you'll see he's more talented than most of our forward prospects.

He even looked great with the Habs last year. I can't imagine how you could possibly surmise Grabovski could be beaten out by another prospect. He faired well in the playoffs and even then he was playing through a few injuries.

I need one of them Spree Endaz anime 'objections'. I vehemently object.
no problem with disagreeing , thats what this forum is all about. I just don`t see
the habs keeping Koivu , Pleks, and Grabs all on the smalish side together, plus with Maxwell, Fortin, White, moving up the ranks in a few years , I see him as the odd man out .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:11 AM
SOLR

Quote:
no problem with disagreeing , thats what this forum is all about. I just don`t see
the habs keeping Koivu , Pleks, and Grabs all on the smalish side together, plus with Maxwell, Fortin, White, moving up the ranks in a few years , I see him as the odd man out .
Should I put this in bold.

Grabovski wont be a center for the habs(unless theres an injury). Hes a LW.

Old
08-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
All the prospects you've named are at the very least 2 years away from the Habs while Grabo will be trying to earn a spot at this camp. If someone like Maxwell edges Grabovski out, he will be a roster player by then.

Old
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Should I put this in bold.

Grabovski wont be a center for the habs(unless theres an injury). Hes a LW.
I wouldn't be so certain about that. It's not as if Plekanec has solidified himself as our 2nd line center.

Old
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't be so certain about that. It's not as if Plekanec has solidified himself as our 2nd line center.
Grabovski looks more and more like a Afinogenov than a Datsyuk.I think everybody rather see Grabovski skates at his top on the wing than trying to take off the puck to the opponents behind his net.

1111111111111000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyven View Post
Grabovski looks more and more like a Afinogenov than a Datsyuk.I think everybody rather see Grabovski skates at his top on the wing than trying to take off the puck to the opponents behind his net.
Depends on the winger situation. Personally, I think he'd look great centering Higgins and Kostitsyn.

Old
08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyven View Post
From the limited play I saw with the Bulldogs, I have to admit I was pleasently surprised by Grabovski's play behind the net and in the corners. At first I thought he was tiny (when he had his callup last year) but he just bends over forward a lot... he had no fear to get his hands dirty and go fish for pucks. One thing about Grabovski, he isn't afraid of anything. I hope he has some good pads!!

I agree that depth-wise it's more likely he'll join the big club as a LW but don't give too much weight to his, er, lack of weight. I am a little biased here though, as MG is my pick to really surprise in camp and make the team over Chipchura.

And I would love to see Grabovski + Plekanec + Kostitsyn. Speed to burn!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Depends on the winger situation. Personally, I think he'd look great centering Higgins and Kostitsyn.
Why GOD Why Isn't he Rhanded!!?

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
And I would love to see Grabovski + Plekanec + Kostitsyn. Speed to burn!
Oh man this could do A LOT of sparks jeez.. and it would allow Carbo to keep Higgins-koivu-ryder together great stuff!

To be honest I never really saw anything special coming from higgins when he was on that line (with pleky & Ak46), beside maybe the last 10 games of the season.. I say put him back with Koivu!

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I remember some people saying last year that in his callup to the Habs, Grabs looked decent alongside Kovalev. Was there enough potential there to reunite them at camp and see what happens? Could a Kostitsyn - Grabovski - Kovalev line be successful? If Kovy is healthy next year and willing to take both of them under his wing a little, it could be worth a shot for a little while IMO. When Pez stepped in for Zednik at the start of the 05-06 season, Pez seemed to react well to being around Kovy and Kovy himself was only 1 point off PPG pace until he needed surgery. If it doesn't work, they can be split up (preferably before they are forced to play half a season together) but if it does work out, we could have 3 offensively dangerous players gel together, with the younger guys getting some insight and experience from a vet, who in return gets some guys who might be able to give him some extra jump and draw a little attention away from him on the ice.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see what Grabs can do at camp. Hopefully he hits the ground running and gives Gainey and Carbo another decision to make.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Solidifyed as a minimum 3rd line center tho. It would be stupider then taking streit off of a forward position to make Pleks an LW again.

Not to say Streit is a bad d-man, I just like his offensive game more and he's great two ways. Would be dumb to give up a GREAT defensive forward for a decent defenseman. Would be even dumber to take a dece LW for a great C (Pleks for Pleks)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
buddahsmoka1

All I have to say about Grabs is:
When he played on the habs roster he did not look out of place at all. In fact, he was one of the better forwards that Rangers game...he had a couple good scoring chances that he created with his speed, and I remember him coming back and stopping a 3 on 1. Which says alot.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 02:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
When he played on the habs roster he did not look out of place at all.
Pierre Houde even went "He looks like he's played with Kovalev for years". That alone might give him a leg up, it's a rare skill.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I stopped caring as soon as you thought Grabovski wouldn't amount to anything.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
All I have to say about Grabs is:
When he played on the habs roster he did not look out of place at all. In fact, he was one of the better forwards that Rangers game...he had a couple good scoring chances that he created with his speed, and I remember him coming back and stopping a 3 on 1. Which says alot.
Really? I thought he was abominable on faceoffs and was knocked down too easily. He has to get stronger.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Well he has solidified himself as a 2nd or 3rd line center, with the addition of smolinski, I think its fair to say that Pleckanec cant loose his job as the 2nd center. Unless theres something spectacular happening from Grabo or he(plecks) plays himself out of the position. Both arent likely. What is likely however, is him getting 20 games at center during Koivu's and Pleck's injuries. Doesnt mean he wont be on the LW for all the other games.

Last edited by SOLR: 08-22-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old
08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Well he has solidified himself as a 2nd or 3rd line center, with the addition of smolinski, I think its fair to say that Pleckanec cant loose his job as the 2nd center. Unless theres something spectacular happening from Grabo or he(plecks) plays himself out of the position. Both arent likely. Was is likely however, is him getting 20 games at center during Koivu's and Pleck's injuries. Doesnt mean he wont be on the LW for all the other games.
I'm talking about after this coming season though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I stopped caring as soon as you thought Grabovski wouldn't amount to anything.
Well I hope you're happy, geeman, you've gone and upset WTKs.

Old
08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I remember some people saying last year that in his callup to the Habs, Grabs looked decent alongside Kovalev. Was there enough potential there to reunite them at camp and see what happens? Could a Kostitsyn - Grabovski - Kovalev line be successful?

The two did look like they ought to share a line. My only question mark on Grabovski is whether he can win 50% of his faceoffs. I would think with the coaches we have the F/O stats would be better as a team but it doesn't seem to be the case. Personally I'd rather see MG as a centreman too. The line you mentioned would be dynamite in action if they aren't having to spend half of each shift chasing pucks.

I think MG's defensive awareness has improved (from what I saw in the playoffs) and while a lot of people were high on him last year, man oh man could we be in for some fun times if he breaks in and plays well with Col. Road Rash and AK47.

For all the moaning about Kovalev he was good mentoring Lapierre & Latendresse, I hope he gets a chance to look good playing on a line with the two Belorussians.

But then what do we do with Plekanec?

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
A. Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kovalev
Latendresse-Plekanec-Lapierre
Begin-Smolinski-Kostopoulis

maybe?? If it came to pass and actually won games, this lineup would be very exciting to watch!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote