Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-HDTV thread

Old
08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Slackjaw

vCash: 500
OT-HDTV thread

I am a generally a luddite and have not kept abreast of television technologies since we went from black and white to color. I am now going to purchase one of these newfangled televisions that everybody has been speaking of.

Question is this: I watch almost nothing but hockey. Maybe an occasional re-run of the Jeffersons or something, but otherwise its all hockey. Are there any of these new TVs that are better for hockey, and any that are worse?

Thanks

Slackjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 02:24 PM
ap3lovr

I use an optoma dlp projector and a 10' by 10' fall... Hook the HD up to er and the surround sound and i'm sitting pretty.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 72
My father's isn't a 10' foot DLP, his is more like 60" or so, pretty nice especially with the HD hook up.

I really don't know too much, but if you are going to spend, spend big. Because I have some friends who have spent 600 bucks or so and it broke, so just be careful and make sure you get a warrenty.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Slackjaw

I'm guessing it will cost me a couple grand, and I don't think I am looking for projection tv - just one of those flat screen jobs. I know they come in a few different flavors (e.g., plasma, LCD) but I am not sure if any of these technologies are better than others for watching a black hunk of rubber careen around a slab of white ice.

Old
08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 72
I think it is the LCD (But I am not sure) that the scree burns out.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
Pretty sure LCD's have bulbs which are replaceable, while the Plasma will actually burn out, leaving you a broken Tele in a few years.

Personally, I have a 51" Toshiba HD DLP. Wicked good stuff.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
I picked up a 32" LCD for $400, wasn't a bad deal. Plasmas are the ones that burn out.

You can get something around 32 inches for under $500, 42s for around $800-$900. Make sure you get the HD box from your cable company, too.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw View Post
I'm guessing it will cost me a couple grand, and I don't think I am looking for projection tv - just one of those flat screen jobs. I know they come in a few different flavors (e.g., plasma, LCD) but I am not sure if any of these technologies are better than others for watching a black hunk of rubber careen around a slab of white ice.
I have a Sony 50 inch LCD .

I love it.

But, my recommendation to you is to measure how far you will be from the TV at home. Place yourself that distance from those at the store and select what looks best to your eyes.

bigger isn't always better. And some LCDs look better than some plasmas or DLPs and vice versa. To me it was eye of the beholder type of thing

My Sony bulb lasted 3 years(with 3 kids watcching constantly) it cost ~ $200 to replace.

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
MdL

Send a message via AIM to MdL
Quote:
No thats a plasma, and when thats burned out thats it. LCD has a serviceable back light.

MdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:32 PM
rmack27

all the new plasmas have resolved this issue. it would take a long time for one of the newer plasmas to burn out.

hockey is best on a plasma tv set because they do not have a response time. lcd's blur a little with fast moving action like sports. unless your willing to fork out the cash for an lcd that has a super low response time, then i recommend you buy a plasma.

rmack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Waltah*

I went with DLP technology, perfect for hockey. No digitizing during fast movement of small objects (pucks/sticks/players). I love it.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack27 View Post
all the new plasmas have resolved this issue. it would take a long time for one of the newer plasmas to burn out.

hockey is best on a plasma tv set because they do not have a response time. lcd's blur a little with fast moving action like sports. unless your willing to fork out the cash for an lcd that has a super low response time, then i recommend you buy a plasma.
The response time issue is overstated on LCD's, that too has been resolved with the newer models. Have to be careful with the no-name brands, though.

I'd just take the best deal on the biggest one I could get, regardless of what type it is, as long as it doesn't have any major drawbacks. The biggest screen for the price you want to pay.

Old
08-22-2007, 09:49 PM
rmack27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
The response time issue is overstated on LCD's, that too has been resolved with the newer models. Have to be careful with the no-name brands, though.

I'd just take the best deal on the biggest one I could get, regardless of what type it is, as long as it doesn't have any major drawbacks. The biggest screen for the price you want to pay.
i would much rather have a really good 37-42" tv then a 50+" that has some short comings.

rmack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack27 View Post
i would much rather have a really good 37-42" tv then a 50+" that has some short comings.
Didn't I say "as long as it doesn't have any drawbacks"?

The differences in the technologies are pretty minor now, there are more important factors to consider. Native resolution, response time, contrast ratio...

Try these two sites for deals on TV's:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/categories.php?catid=18
http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdi...hp?sduid=0&f=9

Old
08-23-2007, 03:14 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Boy,there's some bogus information being flung around on this thread. [url]www.highdefforum.com

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Slackjaw

Thanks for all the input.

Old
08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Remember your TV is only going to be as good as the service you get to provide a picture for it. If you not going to get an HD type package from a cable or satellite provider, then any of the suggestions here , probably won't thrill you.

If your going to remain subscribing to SD (Standard Definition), and you purchase one of these sets, you'll be disappointed. SD and your regular CRT TV (Tube TV) were made for each other. In fact when there's a game in SD I often go into my den where I prefer the picture of my good ole Tube TV.

From all the research I did I'd have to rate the TV's for watching NHL games in HD:

Plasma
LCD
DLP Projection
LCD Projection
Standard HD Projection (not really around anymore )

(don't know about overhead projection not something I researched).

I bought a 50" HP Plasma and upgraded my DirectTV receiver and dish. The whole kit and caboodle ran me about $2000.00.

$1600.00 for the TV and $400.00 for the upgrades and various cables and what not. I could not be happier.

While not the best plasma by a long stretch, for my first HD TV I wasn't committed to a technology by virtue of having a $2500.00+ elephant in the room. Since I got it (Christmas '06) 1080p has made a surge, if this TV ends up hanging on the wall of my den I won't be heartbroken.

Last edited by disfigured: 08-23-2007 at 11:45 AM.
disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 07:19 PM
spencer2u

Last NHL season I went out and bought a 55 inch Sony SXRD(LCOS tech, basically a souped up LCD) I am happy with.
Non of the 3 new technolgy are perfect. DLP seems to act the most like the old tube TVs, while Plasma's are better in dim rooms and are the worst without HD hooked up.. As mentioned LCD have a slower response time giving you what is called a "screen door effect" not noticable in hockey but seems to spot up on concerts because of the effects.
A couple of other things to remember, thes new TV are all made for HD and the picture usally is nothing special without HD hooked up(sometimes worst then a tube TV) , 1080P is the future and if in your budget you should get it.
Last thing the size, you don't want it too big but remember a 55" widescreen is only a 42" when not with HD.

spencer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
drgreen24

I just picked up a 37" LG LCD (happy birthday too me), and got the service. I haven't got to watch hockey on it yet but the Super Series should be a good test. I did watch the Pats game the other night and it was sweet. I have played my 360 on it and there was no lag time. Madden runs smooth as ice. With the 5.1 suround sound and Center Ice I hope it's be going to be a great season.

drgreen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 08:36 PM
spencer2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgreen24 View Post
I just picked up a 37" LG LCD (happy birthday too me), and got the service. I haven't got to watch hockey on it yet but the Super Series should be a good test. I did watch the Pats game the other night and it was sweet. I have played my 360 on it and there was no lag time. Madden runs smooth as ice. With the 5.1 suround sound and Center Ice I hope it's be going to be a great season.
Watch a college basketball game on it, it will blow you away.

spencer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Getting my new 40 inch LCD tonight. After some consideration a decided on the following one:
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/television...9285565,00.htm

Should be good for watching both sports and movies, as well as playing some video games.

Dr Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Seldon View Post
Getting my new 40 inch LCD tonight. After some consideration a decided on the following one:

Should be good for watching both sports and movies, as well as playing some video games.
Congrats man, here's to hoping the B's give you something worth watching on the new Tele.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 09:30 AM
SToMper!

42" Panasonic Plasma with the glare protection. Works great. Resolved many issues with plasmas and the motion of baseball and hockey ROCKS! Big enough to enjoy the game, small enough for my wife to love! That doesn't sound right for some reason.....

SToMper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Seldon View Post

Price?

Old
08-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Plasma has Burn In. LCD does not. Plasma is also heavier and uses more electricity.

If you're buying an HDTV you have to have an HD signal too. (HD Cable or HD Satellite)

Oh and whatever you get make sure that it's 1080P

Last edited by Neely2005: 08-24-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Neely2005 is online now   Reply With Quote