HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burkes true worth

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Dancing Chicken

vCash: 500
Burkes true worth

A little tidbit from AZcentral

"Burke (10-11-5) has the best save percentage (.919) in the NHL over the past five seasons, and the Coyotes are 99-59-30-12 when he is in the starting lineup. "

Ya hes only worth a third round pick Not..

Old
01-06-2004, 05:42 AM
degroat*

#1: There's little or no market for a goaltender right now.

#2: He's old.

#3: He has had very little success in the playoffs.

#4: He's a UFA at the season's end.

The Coyotes should have traded him when they had the chance last year because they won't get hardly anything for him this year.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:48 AM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat

The Coyotes should have traded him when they had the chance last year because they won't get hardly anything for him this year.
When you put it like that, it doesn't even sound worth a 3rd rounder to me.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:56 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
id offer a 2nd up for him. UFA at seasons end an all. help us get into the playoff race, then we trade biron for some upfront help.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:08 AM
MileHigh

Burke seems to me the back-up the Avs go after to have a solid verteran for Aebi in the playoffs.

I know he hasn't done much damage in the playoffs but I think the Avs will go after him because he is a UFA after the season and they can get him for cheap at the deadline. Then let him go after the year.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Belgian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
id offer a 2nd up for him. UFA at seasons end an all. help us get into the playoff race, then we trade biron for some upfront help.
There won't be much market for Biron either. I don't see many teams being desperate gettin their hands on a goalie with a $2M+ salary who hasn't exactly been stellar for the last two seasons.

Most teams will see him as a backup, and not many teams want to pay their backup that kind of money I would guess.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:40 AM
SabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
There won't be much market for Biron either. I don't see many teams being desperate gettin their hands on a goalie with a $2M+ salary who hasn't exactly been stellar for the last two seasons.

Most teams will see him as a backup, and not many teams want to pay their backup that kind of money I would guess.
tho streaks like his now might help his cause, especially teams like Anahiem where the starter isnt even backup quality, or playing like it, maybe even STL for insurance, just in case.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:46 AM
degroat*

Like I said earlier, the market for a goaltender is very thin right now. That said, if Biron were available, I think (and HOPE) the Blues would be all over him.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:49 AM
SabresRule

Quote:
Like I said earlier, the market for a goaltender is very thin right now. That said, if Biron were available, I think (and HOPE) the Blues would be all over him.
i agree with you there. even in hope.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:50 AM
degroat*

Unfortunately, I don't know what help up front the Blues could offer. Their depth at forward is hurting this year. What would you want in return?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:52 AM
SabresRule

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know what help up front the Blues could offer. Their depth at forward is hurting this year. What would you want in return?
if we had burke, then either defense or offense, probably in line with about a 3rd/4th defender or a gritty forward.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:55 AM
neelynugs

phoenix got greedy, and now they get burned. i said in the offseason that they should've taken the 2nd round pick from boston for him, but their greed caught up with them. can't say i feel bad for them in the least.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
phoenix got greedy, and now they get burned. i said in the offseason that they should've taken the 2nd round pick from boston for him, but their greed caught up with them. can't say i feel bad for them in the least.
Call me crazy, but why would PHO move Burke for a 2nd or 3rd round pick? PHO is one point out of a play-off spot right now, and playing great hockey. I know that Boucher has a 3+ game shut-out streak going, but until that little streak, the Yotes have been as successful as Burke over the last 3-4 years.

Unless you get something substantial for Burke, why move him? The Yotes are still in contention, and if they keep playing like they are currently, will be in the hunt at the trade deadline. I just don't see the benefit to the Yotes of moving Burke for a 3rd rounder. They have a decent chance of getting a 3rd/4th rounder if he's signed away as a UFA in the off-season (not very likely, but you never know). What are the chances a 3rd rounder makes the NHL - 10 to 20%? Just not worth it IMO.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:15 AM

I would say I agree with parts of the last two posts. The Coyotes were not greedy to turn down a 2nd rounder over the summer for Burke, because they didn't have to answer for that price. Contrary to popular believe outside of Phoenix over the summer, the team was not trying to dump Burke. However, the Coyotes will likely deal Burke by the deadline this season and could receive as little as a 2nd or 3rd rounder in value. Burke is coming off the last season on his current contract, but has an option year on it. Burke is 37 years old, and lets face it, he may not be injury prone but older players are more injury prone as a whole.

The Coyotes did not get burned at all over the summer, getting burned would have been trading Burke for less value than he brought to the team (2nd rounder). Of course at the deadline, Burke will have little value to the team after that point so he would be little more than trade bait.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:24 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I would say I agree with parts of the last two posts. The Coyotes were not greedy to turn down a 2nd rounder over the summer for Burke, because they didn't have to answer for that price. Contrary to popular believe outside of Phoenix over the summer, the team was not trying to dump Burke. However, the Coyotes will likely deal Burke by the deadline this season and could receive as little as a 2nd or 3rd rounder in value. Burke is coming off the last season on his current contract, but has an option year on it. Burke is 37 years old, and lets face it, he may not be injury prone but older players are more injury prone as a whole.

The Coyotes did not get burned at all over the summer, getting burned would have been trading Burke for less value than he brought to the team (2nd rounder). Of course at the deadline, Burke will have little value to the team after that point so he would be little more than trade bait.
If Burke can get the team into the playoffs, he is worth at least the revenue from 2 playoff games. If they actually won a couple games in the playoffs add another gate.

Perhaps closer to the deadline they move him for a 2nd., if some team needs the insurance he'd provide. Let's face it, he's better than a lot of keepers out there on teams who'll be in the playoffs. So keep him and solidify your playoff position, and move him at the deadline if it is a good offer and you're in, or move him for anything if you're out.

He could even pull a Wesley and re-sign with the 'Yotes after the playoffs whether traded or not.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
01-06-2004, 11:05 AM
SabresRule

i think he could get us into the playoffs, but it would be a long shot.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

The market for a goalie will heat up as the playoffs approach, especially as injuries start to occur. Also, Cujo seems to be off the market, at least temporarily, which raises Burke's value.

The fact that he is a UFA actually makes him more attractive, because if there is a lockout, the team can just let him walk with no future obligation.

His age and past playoff performances are hard to read. He hasn't played for a very good playoff team in his career, but he has shown himself to be a leader that inspires confidence, at least over the past few years in Phoenix.

He's not hyper-valuable, but he could fetch a decent return from a playoff team that finds itself in bad circumstances, perhaps a lesser version of the infamous Oates deal of a few seasons ago -- decent draft pick and prospect. Admittedly, for this to happen, a catastrophic string of injuries to one particular team, Barnett might have to hire Tonya Harding and her crowbar.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Everyone mentions the option, but they fail to mention whether it is a Team option (which I believe it is) or a player option. So which is it? This is very significant.

Also, Burke has had some bad stretches this year. I originally said that he would go for a 2nd (at most) at the trade deadline. This is still my analysis, although I have no idea what team will make a move for him.....Don't count out some of the smaller teams. For instance, Nashville has started Vokoun all but 2 games this year...a reliable backup could be exactly what the doctor ordered......Still, I wouldn't bet anything that the preds pickup an expensive goalie like Burke. This was just an example of teams that could want him. Maybe Atlanta....They could seriously take a shot at him if Dafoe or Hurme is traded. Who knows

Old
01-07-2004, 03:26 AM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Everyone mentions the option, but they fail to mention whether it is a Team option (which I believe it is) or a player option. So which is it? This is very significant.

Also, Burke has had some bad stretches this year. I originally said that he would go for a 2nd (at most) at the trade deadline. This is still my analysis, although I have no idea what team will make a move for him.....Don't count out some of the smaller teams. For instance, Nashville has started Vokoun all but 2 games this year...a reliable backup could be exactly what the doctor ordered......Still, I wouldn't bet anything that the preds pickup an expensive goalie like Burke. This was just an example of teams that could want him. Maybe Atlanta....They could seriously take a shot at him if Dafoe or Hurme is traded. Who knows

it's a team option.

Burke has also publically stated that regardless of a lockout he would like to keep playing for 2 to 3 more seasons.

Closed Thread