HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter?

Old
08-23-2007, 08:12 AM
NYVanfan

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter?

What do you guys expect of him this year?
He'll play #2 center, behind Briere, right?
I have him on my fantasy team, and he was a big disappointment last year -- wonder if he's poised to breakout?

I have a trade offer of him + my first round pick for Bertuzzi and his 7th...obviously I'd try and get those picks closer, but what do you think of that offer? Both players are a gamble, IMO ...if Bert canstay healthy he could have a monster year in Penner's old spot...just not sure what to expect from Carter

thanks for any advice, and apologies is this post is out of place

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
rayearth

2nd line center playing with Upshall/Hartnell/Lupul. Most seem to think he'll rebound and have a nice season this year. 20-30 goals. 25-35 assists.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 08:59 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
2nd line center playing with Upshall/Hartnell/Lupul. Most seem to think he'll rebound and have a nice season this year. 20-30 goals. 25-35 assists.
thanks -- that's what I think too, and I was psyched to have him last year and shocked when he struggled so much. He's a bigtime talent.... not sure I'd trade him for Bert straight up, come to think of it

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
rayearth

Extrapolating his numbers from last year to a full season he still would have ended up with 18 and 30. If he gets his shooting percentage up he'll be killer. It's was only 6.5% last year.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
thanks -- that's what I think too, and I was psyched to have him last year and shocked when he struggled so much. He's a bigtime talent.... not sure I'd trade him for Bert straight up, come to think of it
He struggled as part of team in total disarray early, then broke a bone in his leg blocking a shot and missed 20 games. By the time he came back and got in shape, Forsberg was either in and out or gone to Nashville - so he got thrown into the number one spot.

I figured it out before and he did improve his PPG by 8% or something, so he didn't have as bad a year as is often assumed - just didn't get the big breakthrough I think we'll see this year or next.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 11:49 AM
philla*

I'm gonna predict 30g,30a, for Jeff

philla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I wouldn't make that trade in your league. He's ready to break out.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 01:00 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
bertuzzi is likely finished, unless he pulls off a hell of a comeback. he hardly impressed last year and carter is still poised to explode to his potential for years to come. i think 50 pts is a realistic expectation for carter with an upside of 60-65.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 08:57 PM
TheKingPin

yea carter is ready to breakout this year like everyone said if he hit the net more he would have anither 15 goals so that is an easy enough adjustment. plus he has quality people to play with that he has chemistry with so i would def keep him

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 09:01 PM
veronesepk

There's no way I'd make that trade. Carter's gonna be a stud.

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Extrapolating his numbers from last year to a full season he still would have ended up with 18 and 30. If he gets his shooting percentage up he'll be killer. It's was only 6.5% last year.
He needs to start heading to the net more like he did in his rookie year, instead of settling for an outside wrister.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
He needs to start heading to the net more like he did in his rookie year, instead of settling for an outside wrister.
he also needs to start just putting his shot on net and stop worrying about picking corners so much... his largest problem is shots that go wide... he particularly likes to shoot for high right... and miss high and right.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 08:59 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
guy needs a shooter tutor.

i think he hears often that he has a sweet shot and keeps trying to apply it. the other team hardly gave im the opportunity to let off a shot unimpeded. he should do much better now that he has decent linemates to clear the way for him.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
BringBackStevens

I think Scott Hartnell is an excelent fit on Carter's wing. Hopefully Lupul finds his way off that line (moving up) as i see Upshall is the better fit there. Either way, Carter should quite easily break 50 points this season.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Nacho
Special

I honestly don't know where all the Carter hype started, as he hasn't done much in the NHL...?

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
I honestly don't know where all the Carter hype started, as he hasn't done much in the NHL...?
where does hype for young players usually start? Juniors... WJC... etc. Carter tore them up.

he also has one of the most impressive wrist shots i've ever seen... he starts putting that thing on net more, he's going to score goals. he's a big, fast, rangy center with a ton of upside... that's where the hype has come. in a mono-reduced rookie season he got himself 20 goals... that's not too shabby.

Old
08-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
As Jester said, he was a star twice at the WJC. He came up in the AHL playoffs and played well, then the next year he came up to the Phantoms after the OHL playoffs and led them in scoring on the way to the championship.

Then scored 23 in his rookie year.

Great play and clutch performances in AHL playoffs and the WJC tend to start the hype rolling - and very deservedly so.

Even last year, despite missing 20 games with a broken bone in his leg, he increased his PPG production.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=59691

I'm not worried about his shooting percentage. Like many players when he's pressing he tries to pick corners instead of concentrating on quick release.

All he has ever needed is a bit of time to fill out - very similar to Lecavalier and Thornton and other big guys who come up early as skinny kids.

Look at Vinnie: He started younger, but he never hit 30 goals until his 5th year - lucky he wasn't Flyer or the morons would have run him out of town after that disappointing 20 goal fourth season.....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=26809

Once Carter grows into his frame, he'll be bigger, faster and stronger, so he'll be taking his shots from better locations too. It looks like he's doing everything right. Without the 'is Foppa playing tonight' question hanging over the team, I expect Carter to continue his development this year - 28-32 goals and the same in assists.

He should hit 60 points if he gets any PP time - which he will.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
MojoJojo

Not quite career year, but he puts it together and shows significant improvement. Ice time and quality linemates are almost certain for him, and his conditioning is reportedly superb. 60 - 65 points, 30 goals. Call me an optimist, but it is a contract year after all.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
DMBgags

Send a message via AIM to DMBgags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I wouldn't make that trade in your league. He's ready to break out.
Your avatar... is that Hayden P!? Oh my god, I want her even more now! She just turned 18 on tuesday too!

DMBgags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBgags View Post
Your avatar... is that Hayden P!? Oh my god, I want her even more now! She just turned 18 on tuesday too!
Ewwww, no....I think it's Lindsay Lohan. Storm?

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBgags View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Ewwww, no....I think it's Lindsay Lohan. Storm?
Definitely Hayden. She's legal, and she's hot.

Sorry FF97, but no self-respecting man should want anything to do with Freckletits.

Old
08-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Definitely Hayden. She's legal, and she's hot.

Sorry FF97, but no self-respecting man should want anything to do with Freckletits.
and i don't care that lindsay is bat**** crazy... she remains hot to me. that being said, you'd prolly not want to deal with her... but she's hot.

i love that name for her, too.

Hayden has a propensity to lick things... it's kinda odd.

Old
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
and i don't care that lindsay is bat**** crazy... she remains hot to me. that being said, you'd prolly not want to deal with her... but she's hot.

i love that name for her, too.

Hayden has a propensity to lick things... it's kinda odd.
Oh come on, there's nothing wrong with that at all!

Lindsay is hot when she's airbrushed, I just don't dig the freckles up close. She also has the raspy voice I love.

Old
08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Jester

Quote:

Lindsay is hot when she's airbrushed, I just don't dig the freckles up close. She also has the raspy voice I love.
Note: i'm not saying there's anything wrong with it... it's just bizarre that there are all these pics floating around the internet of her with her tongue hanging out. it's like her natural pose...

Hating on the freckles... i'm a damn half-breed redhead... i got tons of 'em. I'm hurt. very hurt. I'm a fan of "not about to die of starvation" Lindsay... once we get her away from coked up crazed driver Lindsay, she's back in play.

Alba is single now, btw.

Old
08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

Love or loathe? Personally, I can't stand the raspy voice.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote