HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Congrats to Team USA!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Dekhockey55

vCash: 500
Congrats to Team USA!!

I just wanted to put this on the board because they deserve it. This is a great day in U.S. hockey and congratulations. Hopefully, this will kickstart hockey in the U.S. even more. I really would of liked to watch this game at least and hopefully next year espn or espn 2 will broadcast the tournament...especially now that the U.S. will be defending their gold medal in North Dakota...

Old
01-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekhockey55
I just wanted to put this on the board because they deserve it. This is a great day in U.S. hockey and congratulations. Hopefully, this will kickstart hockey in the U.S. even more. I really would of liked to watch this game at least and hopefully next year espn or espn 2 will broadcast the tournament...especially now that the U.S. will be defending their gold medal in North Dakota...
Props to the U.S. team for overcoming a 3-1 deficit. As a Canadian it is disappointing that Team Canada lost, but as a Michigan grad, it was good to see Al Montoya do well, especially after giving up the third goal. Hopefully he will play this well once he rejoins the Wolverines later on this week!!

Old
01-06-2004, 05:28 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
yes! congrats to team USA!

Old
01-06-2004, 05:59 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Team USA earned the victory and deserve the gold medal. Congratulations to the team and their fans!

Old
01-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Team USA earned the victory and deserve the gold medal. Congratulations to the team and their fans!
It's disturbing to me that a country that cares more about tractor pulls than hockey can win a tournament like that... Did the States even send over one reporter to Helsinki to cover the tourney?
Here's an idea, we'll send you back the World Series' from '92 and '93 and you give us the hockey tournaments from now on... Nobody north of the border cares about baseball and nobody south of the border cares about hockey... it's a win-win...
Not to mention that there are two Canadian traitors playing on Team USA, in the old days, that would be punishable by death...
MoFo Fleury looks like he's progressing well through the Penguins school of "Finding ways to lose"... He especially impressed Mario with his mid-term project of "Banking a clearing attempt off your own defenseman and into your own net" Good job ya tool!
Yes it's frustrating and yes I'm bitter... sue me.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Teezax

Oh no, does this mean that ESPN will cancel the next spelling bee competition and actually show a hockey game?? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

ESPN

Old
01-06-2004, 09:40 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Not to mention that there are two Canadian traitors playing on Team USA, in the old days, that would be punishable by death...
I can understand the anger towards Brady Murray to an extent but who is the other player you're refering to?

Old
01-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Oh no, does this mean that ESPN will cancel the next spelling bee competition and actually show a hockey game?? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

ESPN
I posted this under the prospects board where someone else was asking if ESPN even showed the highlights of the game.

Ironically, there was an article writtten in "The Hockey News" about 10 years ago on this very subject. I don't remember the author, but the point was that one year the U.S. could win this tournament, and no one in the U.S. would know about it as there is no U.S. coverage of the WJHC. I have heard that there were NO U.S. media credentials issued/requested by any U.S. news outlet for this year's tournament.

What little highlights ESPN showed were from TSN (basically, ESPN's Canadian affiliate).

The U.S.'s biggest hockey victory since the "Miracle on Ice", and it barely registers a blip in the U.S. media.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
It's disturbing to me that a country that cares more about tractor pulls than hockey can win a tournament like that... Did the States even send over one reporter to Helsinki to cover the tourney?
Here's an idea, we'll send you back the World Series' from '92 and '93 and you give us the hockey tournaments from now on... Nobody north of the border cares about baseball and nobody south of the border cares about hockey... it's a win-win...
MoFo Fleury looks like he's progressing well through the Penguins school of "Finding ways to lose"... He especially impressed Mario with his mid-term project of "Banking a clearing attempt off your own defenseman and into your own net" Good job ya tool!
Yes it's frustrating and yes I'm bitter... sue me.

As a fellow Canadian...congrats USA. No offense intended but Fleury is not the reason we lost. That clearing attempt was freakish, that's it. Nobody wanted to win this tournament more than the players...and they are kids. Congrats to Canada also...made me proud anyways. Maybe this will create more interest next year...especially if there is a lock-out.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Blindside9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney
I can understand the anger towards Brady Murray to an extent but who is the other player you're refering to?
Well, at first, I thought Parise was Canadian since his dad represented us vs the Soviets in '72... I remember seeing a report on tv one time that said there were two Canadians on the roster, but Murray is the only name I can remember. Murray was still a prominent player for team USA though... ie played on the top two lines.
And even though USA got gold here, it still doesn't make a difference... ESPN would still rather show spelling bees, ballroom dancing, figure skating, anything but hockey. If Canada won, you know you could hear the party from Mars... in the States it doesn't even crack page 10 of the newspaper. Hell, even our LOSS was page 1 on the Toronto Star... The only consolation we Canadians have is that 3/4 of team USA won't be back next year, whereas Sidney Crosby is still eligible for like 3 more WJC's... I hope to God that we can humiliate you on home soil in '05.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Blindside9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
No offense intended but Fleury is not the reason we lost. That clearing attempt was freakish, that's it.
None taken, and I know he isn't the ONLY reason we lost... He's just the MAIN reason. He let in one bona fide scoring chance. The rest should have been non-factors. He should know better to try and dump that puck back up the middle of the ice. Good God, they have boards for a reason!
Yes, he's young and he will learn, but making mistakes on Canada's time isn't the way to make friends in the Canadian hockey community.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Larry44

Quote:
None taken, and I know he isn't the ONLY reason we lost... He's just the MAIN reason. He let in one bona fide scoring chance. The rest should have been non-factors. He should know better to try and dump that puck back up the middle of the ice. Good God, they have boards for a reason!
Yes, he's young and he will learn, but making mistakes on Canada's time isn't the way to make friends in the Canadian hockey community.
You're giving Fleury too much blame.

He was responsible for the first goal, the wraparound, and that's it. Seabrook gets some blame for that goal, too, since he was not at his post.

O'Sullivan's goal was a world class sniper shot to the very top corner. Not his fault.

Kesler's goal was a fluke. He made the save and it fluttered up over him and in on a one-in-a-million play.

On the winning goal, he saw Coburn trying to cut wide out of his way, so he went up the middle. He just got really unlucky. Again, Seabrook was out of position when O'Sullivan burned him for a partial breakaway.

I'm not that bothered by the loss. We took a young team and they didn't manage to win. With 13 potential returnees next year, we should be much better.

I watched the game a second time on tape and the US was really all over us in the first period and the third. Their D were really good and they finished a couple nice plays. And their goalie, who let in a weak goal to Stewart too.

Closed Thread