HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Power forwards not meeting expectations this year

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Spaceace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
people around here seem to think any forward with size classifies them as a powerforward.
Yeah,I know.But what is YOUR definition of a power forward??

Old
01-07-2004, 11:52 AM
LaVal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
Yeah,I know.But what is YOUR definition of a power forward??
well, i've posted my powerforward requirments many times... i'll see if i can remember them off hand

- use his physical size to do the prototypical powerforward things (e.g. throw huge checks, crash the net, use their size to protect the puck, etc)
- must produce at an elite level. sorry but the bangers and crashers don't count. the term powerforward goes so much beyond what the term litterally means.
- must have a big intimidation factor. a powerforward must intimidate the opposition, there is no questioning this. has to have a meanstreak, play with an edge, and simply can't do things like diving.
- must drop the gloves when needed. a powerforward can't be intimidating if he never drops them. i know all the people that have the "there's more to hockey than fighting" attitude would argue this one to the death, but a player doesn't intimidate on a meanstreak alone. he has to be able to handle himself when the time calls for it.
- must be established. you don't just get the powerforward lable by 1 season of the above, you have to earn it. you can't just enter the league as a powerforward, it has to be developed

these are all the powerforwards i can think of off hand (no particular order)

Joe Thornton
Jarome Iginla
Todd Bertuzzi
Bill Guerin
Jason Allison
Shane Doan
Keith Tkachuk

Lindros, Shanahan, etc aren't powerforwards anymore. players like Nash aren't there yet, but could quite possibly get there in the future. players like Roenick and Roberts are debatable. players like Isbister don't produce enough. players like Lecavalier don't play with enough of an edge. players like Sundin and Forsberg don't fight and dive.

Closed Thread