HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec your expectations?

Old
08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I hope he will be around the 65 points

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
Pleky was best czech player in both matches (jagrTEAM vs demitraTEAM) - he had 2g in first match and 2g + 1a in second match. he was also best czech player on world championship in May in Moscow 4g + 4a in 7 matches

it looks like he'll have very good year - I believe 70pts +

I like how gradually he became a very solid center ... my favourite player
he can score, he can defend he is very consistent, no doubt future czech captain (good leadership)

he was drafted in 3rd round as 71st player - nice scouting

I would say that if he has a good start to the season, if he is playing top line minutes and putting up top line points, we'll be trading Koivu to a cup contending team and Pleks will be our #1 center!!!
Plekanec is the future #1 center of the Habs, now its just a matter of time before its becomes official!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 12:23 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think Plekanec is going to really emerge this season as more than just a complimentary player. It looks like he's taking the next step in his development. I've always thought highly of Plekanec, he's got a statistical history of providing offense at every level after a period of adaptation, and I think that's exactly what's happening right now.

Experts and fan aren't giving the Habs much chance this year, but I think people put too much stock into free agent signings and not enough in team chemistry and player progression. The best way to build a winner is through good drafting/development, smart trades and supplementing your roster with free agent signings. You can't buy a championship in the NHL.

Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Komisarek and Lapierre should all be better players this year and that shoud lead to more victories.

I'm looking forward to seeing Plekanec this year, I think he's really gonna surprise some people
I believe this is how the majority feel about Plekanec so an outstanding season where he really grabs the league's attention won't necessarily come as a surprise...but as a relief.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
GNick42

Pleks could be our #1 center by year's end. A lot can change in a year...hockey is a funny game that way. Pleks could develop more, Grabs could have a good season and be our #2 center, Koivu could be traded for a young defenseman, Huet could be traded for a first round pick. Giving us caproom to sign a Marleau or Heatley next off season. You never know...

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 02:00 PM
5 man unit

Pleks will really be a key to the success of the team this year. If he has a breakout year (65-80 points) It will probably mean that 2 lines are scoring, and the Habs have a chance to be a solid top 6 team in the east.
If he stays at around 45 points, the Habs likely will miss the playoffs.
This team needs the Pleks, Higgins, and to a lesser degree A Kost, to become consistent offensive threats if they hope to contend, or even make the playoffs.
I'm confident they can pull it off!

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Tyson

Tomas Plekanec is a star in the making. I still believe his upside is higher than that of Saku Koivu.
I predicted last year that he would hit 70 points (last season). I am a year off of my prediction.
If he stays healthy, he leads the team in scoring. He is probably the best all around player on the team.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:28 PM
flappuck

23g
39a

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
JeR_HaB's

First thread...
Pleks, Higgins and Kost will have 150 points and more all together if Carbo put them together all season long. Watch out for the CAT line!
I hope to see something like Pleks 50-55 pts Higgins 55-60 pts and Kost 40-45 pts
For sure, if everybody's healthy all season long.

JeR_HaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:49 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
atleast 20 some goals, 50 to 60 points for sure, specially if carbo keeps the CAT line together for most of the year (higgins-pleks-kost)

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I would say that if he has a good start to the season, if he is playing top line minutes and putting up top line points, we'll be trading Koivu to a cup contending team and Pleks will be our #1 center!!!
Plekanec is the future #1 center of the Habs, now its just a matter of time before its becomes official!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Pleks could be our #1 center by year's end. A lot can change in a year...hockey is a funny game that way. Pleks could develop more, Grabs could have a good season and be our #2 center, Koivu could be traded for a young defenseman, Huet could be traded for a first round pick. Giving us caproom to sign a Marleau or Heatley next off season. You never know...
I can feel this thread ballooning out of control by the second....

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
evilstanley

geddy up

plex is a terrific hockey player. what to expect you ask???

hell become even better. he plays an almost perfect two-way game already, he can more and more be depended on in many situations, and his offensive numbers are consistently beginning to grow. hes all that and not even 25.

if the team goes well this year, plex will SURELY have contributed in a sizable way.
i even expect him to play well on a mediocre team.

good season for habs: plex = 20-25g, 65-75pts.
bad season for habs: plex = 20g, 55-60pts.

i hope he continues to progress even if the habs struggle, and i hope he gets the right linemates, kots being one of them.

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think he might outscore Koivu.
I'm not too concerned about koivu's durability anymore... since returning from cancer, he's averaged something like 77 games per season.... so I expect him to score another 70-75 points. If plekanec can exceed that amount, this team is definitly playoff bound IMO.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Going425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
Pleky was best czech player in both matches (jagrTEAM vs demitraTEAM) - he had 2g in first match and 2g + 1a in second match. he was also best czech player on world championship in May in Moscow 4g + 4a in 7 matches

it looks like he'll have very good year - I believe 70pts +

I like how gradually he became a very solid center ... my favourite player
he can score, he can defend he is very consistent, no doubt future czech captain (good leadership)

he was drafted in 3rd round as 71st player - nice scouting
If Plex can manage to stay healthy along with Higgy and Kosti, I see him having a 50-60 point season. If that line stays together, and those players all keep improving (which they will) I can see in a season or two, that being our number one line with each player scoring 70+ points a season.

Going425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabs View Post

I see a digresion as he is no longer a suprise to the rest of the NHL and he performed poorly in the last 5 games of the regular season and was especially brutal against the Leafs when the season was on the line.
His durability is a big question mark as he tends to be overpowered physically .
I could be wrong ,but I rarly am.
welcome to the Habs board , Shabs ...

Hope you are wrong this time .

If the Habs want to do the playoffs , that will take a better performance than 45-55 points from Plekanec ;He 's playing with better players than Ryder and Dagenais , so i expect him to reach at least 65 points . We know how much he brings more than Ribeiro was , in his overall game , but he still need to produce as much as Ribeiro to make the Habs better .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
dre2112

55-60points

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 10:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

Funny how things change quickly.. One year ago Plekanec was nothing, people wanted to package him in a trade or get rid of him cause the second line center spot was Ribs' one.. Now he has suddenly star potential and the guy deserve to be our #1 center..

Just calm down, relax , Plekanec can be a pretty good second line center in this league, he is a signifiant upgrade over a guy like Ribeiro, but as much as I like him, his overall skills are limited.. He is a very hard worker and has a great hockey sense but he doesnt have the natural skills to be an offensive force.. A bit like Koivu, he has to work extremely hard to create scoring chances, a bit like Koivu he is that kind of smart and responsible center playing this game with intensity in every areas of the game, what make him so valuable for a team... Plekanec is an above average skater, an above average stickhandler and a pretty good playmaker but his overall skills arent elite level, skilled enough to center an offensive line but not enough to be a leader offensively... On another side, he is already one of the smartest centers in this league, always takes the good decisions, does all the little things perfectly, thats why you can use him against anyone in this league... I would say 60-65 pts is a fair expectation, the most important thing isnt the pts cause several factors may affect your offensive production, the most important thing is to play him with linemates he will have good chimestry with, to give us a solid line that will outplay the opposition everytime they touch the ice 5 on 5..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 11:11 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabs View Post

I see a digresion -Digressionas he is no longer a suprise to the rest of the NHL and he performed poorly in the last 5 games of the regular season and was especially brutal against the Leafs when the season was on the line.-Syntax errors
His durability is a big question mark as he tends to be overpowered physically .-Spacing
I could be wrong ,but I rarly -More spelling am.
Just a word of advise, your opinion is valued here as much as the next gent, but don't make silly statements that you are some omnipotent know it all. It will not add any weight to your argument.

And now in regards to your statement, I highly doubt teams will be paying extra attention to Pleks. There are more players as skilled as him on this team thus he does not merit any shadowing, etc.
As well, he wasn't playing that poorly in the home stretch. Everyone reeked in the Leafs game so its a moot point.

Apr 7, 2007 vs. TOR 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 2 0.0 28 16:53 45.4
Apr 5, 2007 vs. NYR 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0.0 22 16:36 46.7
Apr 3, 2007 vs. BOS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0.0 22 17:51 66.7
Mar 31, 2007 vs. BUF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0.0 19 15:58 37.5
Mar 30, 2007 vs. OTT 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0.0 21 17:17 40.0
Mar 27, 2007 vs. NYR 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 3 33.3 25 14:23 33.3

He may not have lighten up the score board but he was at least creating some offense.

I personally predict a 50 point season. Seems like a fair assessment considering he's been stellar on the international stage during the off season.

Oh and...

GTFO N00B

Old
08-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Tomas Plekanec is a star in the making. I still believe his upside is higher than that of Saku Koivu.
I predicted last year that he would hit 70 points (last season). I am a year off of my prediction.
If he stays healthy, he leads the team in scoring. He is probably the best all around player on the team.
what idiot moron would of predicted a 70 point season LAST year?! The guy hadn't done that much yet and i think that even if it is possible, 70 points is alot, i'd be happy with a 30-30 seaason as i expect Kosti to be raking up assists next year on the CAT line

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
lol @ up

I think Plekanec success is directly linked with Higgins sucess. If they both avoid injuries I predict Plekanec will get about 60 pts (20g,40a).

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 02:11 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
welcome to the Habs board , Shabs ...

Hope you are wrong this time .

If the Habs want to do the playoffs , that will take a better performance than 45-55 points from Plekanec ;He 's playing with better players than Ryder and Dagenais , so i expect him to reach at least 65 points . We know how much he brings more than Ribeiro was , in his overall game , but he still need to produce as much as Ribeiro to make the Habs better .

You know only 56 forwards had 65 pts or more last year right ? and that includes 1st liners...

if he does reach the 65 pts mark, he'll be one of the two or three best 2nd line C in the league, or close to it...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 08:02 AM
znk

Considering he got in 35 points in the last 43 games I would say 60~65 is attainable. Also playing with someone like a Kostitsyn instead of Samsonov should help.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 08:34 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
You know only 56 forwards had 65 pts or more last year right ? and that includes 1st liners...

if he does reach the 65 pts mark, he'll be one of the two or three best 2nd line C in the league, or close to it...
Exact ,but just look back to the teams that were good last season , and you will see that they were having a strong combo of first centers .

Also , don't forget that the Habs traded Ribeiro , who average 58 points for his last 3 seasons , because they thought that Plekanec was good enough to take his spot .

We all know that Plekanec is more complete and better defensively , but if he doesn't match the offensive numbers of Ribeiro , we are not better at the end . Plekanec is having also better liners than Ribeiro had when he made 65 points ( Higgins-Kosty is better than Ryder - Dagenais )

Ribeiro average 58 points for his last 3 seasons , and he was not enough good for most of the fans . Plekanec needs to be better defensively , and needs to reach the same numbers offensively if you want the Habs to be better .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Mirinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Exact ,but just look back to the teams that were good last season , and you will see that they were having a strong combo of first centers .

Also , don't forget that the Habs traded Ribeiro , who average 58 points for his last 3 seasons , because they thought that Plekanec was good enough to take his spot .

We all know that Plekanec is more complete and better defensively , but if he doesn't match the offensive numbers of Ribeiro , we are not better at the end . Plekanec is having also better liners than Ribeiro had when he made 65 points ( Higgins-Kosty is better than Ryder - Dagenais )

Ribeiro average 58 points for his last 3 seasons , and he was not enough good for most of the fans . Plekanec needs to be better defensively , and needs to reach the same numbers offensively if you want the Habs to be better .
Ribeiro is 2 years older than Pleky

Ribeiro's 3rd season in NHL:
43gp 8g 10a 18pts -11

Plekanec's 3rd season in NHL:
81gp 20g 27a 47pts +10 (Plekanec is better in all aspects)

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
guest1467

Well, we all know one thing for sure. Whenever he is on the ice he will be giving his best effort on both sides of the ice.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 02:30 PM
CrewkHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
lol @ up

I think Plekanec success is directly linked with Higgins sucess. If they both avoid injuries I predict Plekanec will get about 60 pts (20g,40a).
I'm with you on that and I would had the fact that if the line is the same we saw at the end of last year (Higgins-Pleck-Kost) I really think he can reach the 25 goals step because of the great playmaking and creativity of A.Kost. So, in my mind, a good season would be anything between 55 and 65 pts if he plays the 82 games and anything over would be really great.

CrewkHead is offline   Reply With Quote