HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pick 2 Cities for Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy Scratch
Seattle and Vegas. Screw Canada.
Winnipeg and Quebec City. It's OUR ******* game.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:32 PM
degroat*

Get over yourself. It's not anyone's game.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:49 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy Scratch
Seattle and Vegas. Screw Canada.

That's not a very nice thing to say.

- Laval (upper Montreal -> the real hockey city)
- Seattle
- Quebec City
- Halifax
- Mexico City? lol
- New Orleans
- Kansas City

Old
01-06-2004, 05:48 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
my picks would be seattle and Indianapolis

Old
01-06-2004, 07:06 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Except for MAYBE in Dallas? That's ridiculous. They have VERY good fans there.

And everyone said Dallas wouldn't work so you're going to have to give me a little more evidence than that to convince me that Houston couldn't support a city.
That might be true degroats and there are some very loyal hockey fans down in Houston BUT I just don't agree on expansion to the South.

Have you ever been in Texas? Have you ever visited Texas? The thing is, yes hockey could be made popular here, but people just don't have a lot of interest in it. I mean here in Austin there is little to no one that really likes the sport. There is a handful since there is a hockey team but they play in a BARN basically.

I could see an argument though to move to the South, especially in Texas to generate interest and maybe get some boys interested in playing and to see if they can produce hockey players too...

BUT Houston would be close to Nashville in your arguments, I'm serious. IF people complain about moving a team into Nashville, people will complain about moving a team into Houston.

It doesn't make any sense.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Winnipeg and Quebec City.
Agreed.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Radulov for Czar*

I'd say Pittsburgh and Seattle

Old
01-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Safir*

Berlin, Germany. They are even building a brand new arena there. So how about the Pinguine Berlin?

Can any Canadian city really support an NHL franchise financially?

Canada:
- 2nd team in the greater Toronto area
- a second team in Quebec (I don't care where)
- a thrid team in Alberta
- a second team in British Columbia

USA:
- somewhere in New England (Hockey region)
- Texas, but only if one of the other sunbelt teams moves.
-

Old
01-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Winnipeg and Quebec City.
What he said.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:59 AM
BigMac1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan39
Hartford and Winnepeg.
I'm with you.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Team Dandenault

Send a message via Yahoo to Team Dandenault
How about two Canadian and two American:
Winnipeg & QC
Hartford & Vegas

I can't help but think of some god awful gambling themed uniforms for the Vegas team since they would obviously be called the Gamblers.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:16 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
That might be true degroats and there are some very loyal hockey fans down in Houston BUT I just don't agree on expansion to the South.

Have you ever been in Texas? Have you ever visited Texas? The thing is, yes hockey could be made popular here, but people just don't have a lot of interest in it. I mean here in Austin there is little to no one that really likes the sport. There is a handful since there is a hockey team but they play in a BARN basically.

I could see an argument though to move to the South, especially in Texas to generate interest and maybe get some boys interested in playing and to see if they can produce hockey players too...

BUT Houston would be close to Nashville in your arguments, I'm serious. IF people complain about moving a team into Nashville, people will complain about moving a team into Houston.

It doesn't make any sense.
Yes, I have been to Texas. I went to a Blues vs. Stars game in Dallas a few years ago. Other than Dallas, I've been to Pittsburgh, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Nashville and Chicago to see games. Dallas BY FAR had the most impressive fans out of those cities. They wasn't an empty seat in the house and this was when they were in a crappy arena.

I don't know if Houston would end up being a good hockey city. But it is simply not right to write it off because it's a southern city.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:18 AM
degroat*

Does anyone know who were the finalist that didn't get a team at the most recent expansion?

Old
01-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Fire Bobby Clarke

Anywhere in Canada or the North East USA...Reading your guys ideas...Houston, NO ect...

One of the reasons for the downfall in Hockey is because teams keep going to dumb ass American markets.

Atlanta...Sports fans thier(not just hockey) suck...probably the worst sports city in NA.

Tampa/Florida...Seriously with all the warmer weather and beached who cares about hockey

Nashville...I just don't understand the process sending a team there.

Carolina...It's NASCAR or nothing.

SJ...never thought it would be a good market but they do get fan support...so I think they are alright.

Anahiem...what a marketing ploy this team has been.

Pheonix...A team leaves Winterpeg and goes to the desert...Just dumbfounded.

Dallas...Shouldn't have never left Minnesota.

Anyways, I say Hamilton (should have had a team here already...damn you greedy ass Maple Leaf ownership), or Winnepeg...with honourable metions to Quebec City, Saskatoon, Halifax, or somwhere in Vermont or Maine.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:32 AM
degroat*

I must say that that was an amusing post.

You accuse the downfall of Hockey on the 'dumb American markets' and then go on to list three cities that greatly support their teams.

How exactly did going into Dallas, Phoenix, or San Jose cause the downfall of hockey?

This attitude is exactly why a poster above said to screw Canada...

Old
01-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Ozy_Flame

Im going to say easily Portland or Seattle for the Western conference, and Quebec City, Hartford, or Milwaukee for the Eastern conference.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:12 AM
PEli*

Winnipeg and Seattle. Is Winnipeg's new arena big enough to support an NHL team? 15,000 isn't bad but I guess a large amount of luxury boxes would help that out.

Seattle doesn't even have an arena though. They've just built Safeco Field and Seahawks Stadium in the last few years as well. There was talk of a multipurpose arena going up to help ease the stress on Key Arena and the Tacomadome but I would say it was 100% hot air.

Portland may be a good choice but the Rose Garden can only seat how many? 15,000? The same questions should be brought up for Portland if people are saying it about Winnipeg, which would go Minnesota style on attendance if given another team.

Winnipeg should still have a team. I don't think anybody questions that. They're still crying about losing the Jets and I don't blame them.

Stop saying Halifax, people. A city of 359,111 cannot support an NHL team. There aren't even 1,000,000 in Nova Scotia. This is a pipe dream until HRM and surrounding area is home to at least 700,000 people.

Halifax is a junior town for now. I think people are happy with that and understand that selling 15-17,000 seats 41 times a year in a city of less than 400,000 is kind of pushing it. Mind you, Dartmouth, Bedford, Eastern Passage, etc. are all feeders into Halifax but even then, there aren't enough people to support an NHL team.

Then there's the arena situation. The Metro Center is a 10,000 seater. Beautiful arena but built for a junior team. The Mooseheads get about 7,000 fans and they're near last place in the Q. Hockey fans are dedicated around here but like I said, there aren't enough for an NHL team.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:35 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Seattle doesn't even have an arena though.
Yes they do. The Supersonics play in Key Arena which is also made for hockey.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Dr Love

Why the hell is Vegas being named? It can't support anything other than minor league teams. The metro area is not abundant in suburbs and it's a very poor city in terms of the average Joe's income. It is not a major league city for any sport.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Why the hell is Vegas being named? It can't support anything other than minor league teams. The metro area is not abundant in suburbs and it's a very poor city in terms of the average Joe's income. It is not a major league city for any sport.
Let's look at this....

St. Louis has 2-2.5M people in their metro area.

Average household income in the metro St. Louis area is $45,676.

The county in which Vegas is in has 1.6M people. I specified county because that wouldn't include surrounding counties which are included in the size of the St. Louis metro area. Also, the population of Vegas is growing at 4% per MONTH.

Average household income in Nevada is $45,542, meaning it would in all likelihood be higher in Vegas.

I don't think there is any question that Vegas has the population and corporate support to support a team. Whether or not the average person in Vegas would put their entertainment dollar towards an NHL team is another question.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:07 AM
BigMac1212

Key Arena is just like America West Arena, although Key has rounded edges. Unless Seattle builds an arena that is suited for hockey, no team is going to call the Emerald City home.

No, Fire Bobby Clarke, Winnipeg moving to Phoenix isn't dumbfounded. The people of Winnipeg was dumbfounded by not allowing the team get a better arena. BTW, you should see Glendale Arena. It's a jem!

Old
01-07-2004, 09:15 AM
degroat*

You know for a fact that in Seattle's arena that some of the seats can't see the ice?

Old
01-07-2004, 10:13 AM
PEli*

Quote:
Yes they do. The Supersonics play in Key Arena which is also made for hockey.
In order to convert Key from basketball to hockey, you would lose a fair number of seats. It seats just over 17k for basketball games (and it feels somwhat cramped then, trust me) and would probably only seat about 15,500 for hockey. Again, this raises some issues much like the Winnipeg situation does.

Key Arena does have a nice amount of suites though.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
degroat*

I was unable to find the number of seats in the Key Arena when setup for hockey, but I'm certain that Savvis Center doesn't lose 2000 seats... it's closer to 1000. But, 16,000 is obviously a concern also.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Let's look at this....

St. Louis has 2-2.5M people in their metro area.

Average household income in the metro St. Louis area is $45,676.

The county in which Vegas is in has 1.6M people. I specified county because that wouldn't include surrounding counties which are included in the size of the St. Louis metro area. Also, the population of Vegas is growing at 4% per MONTH.

Average household income in Nevada is $45,542, meaning it would in all likelihood be higher in Vegas.

I don't think there is any question that Vegas has the population and corporate support to support a team. Whether or not the average person in Vegas would put their entertainment dollar towards an NHL team is another question.
The problem is you used only the city county. The suburbs is where the money is.

Closed Thread