HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Other Staal

Old
08-28-2007, 10:37 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
The Other Staal

Imagine if the Rangers manage to draft Jared Staal. He is a RW and we can use depth at that position. If he is a top 5 draft pick, does Sather trade up to get him??? I know the 08 draft is a while away but imagine having 2 Staals on the same team. I can see Montoya being part of that type of package to try and get Jared Staal.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Way too early to tell what type of player he'll become, but by all reports he's the least talented Staal, and probably isn't worth anything higher than a 3rd round pick. Some team might take him in the first round just because of his name, but hopefully it won't be us.

Also, the Tavares situation will effect whether or not he's drafted in 08 or 09.. since they were born a day apart.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
TheHotRock

i can think of two other staals i'd rather go after

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Imagine if the Rangers manage to draft Jared Staal. He is a RW and we can use depth at that position. If he is a top 5 draft pick, does Sather trade up to get him??? I know the 08 draft is a while away but imagine having 2 Staals on the same team. I can see Montoya being part of that type of package to try and get Jared Staal.
he isn't a top 2 rounds pick at this point.....

and honestly, try to learn about the players before suggesting trading for them. he is just a name and the worse of all the staal brothers. so please, packaging monty for a guy not projected in the first 60 picks, is just crazy....someone please lock and delete this thread....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
As others have mentioned he's not even a top 55 draft pick. And you want to deal Montoya to get him? Ouch. Who else should we send packing along with Montoya, since you obviously feel that he alone is not enough?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:29 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
If He dropped to Round 3 to NYR id snatch him up...

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:30 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

i think the rangers shoudl get all 4 staal's and both hossa's and both lundqvists. That would be really cool

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
i think the rangers shoudl get all 4 staal's and both hossa's and both lundqvists. That would be really cool
Don't forget about the Hanson brothers.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 11:40 AM
newf

Jared's not a top 5 pick. He may not even be an NHL player. A few years ago, a Toronto newspaper did a story on the Staals and noted that the youngest brother was the most talented. However, the writer only thought there were 3 brothers, so he meant Jordan. So for years, Jared has had to deal with not only being the least talented brother, but also dealing with unrealistic expectations.

on the other hand, i bet the four of them would throw a hell of a party when the rangers win the cup.

newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 12:27 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
The other Hossa is a playoff jinx, he can stay where he is.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post
Jared's not a top 5 pick. He may not even be an NHL player. A few years ago, a Toronto newspaper did a story on the Staals and noted that the youngest brother was the most talented. However, the writer only thought there were 3 brothers, so he meant Jordan. So for years, Jared has had to deal with not only being the least talented brother, but also dealing with unrealistic expectations.

on the other hand, i bet the four of them would throw a hell of a party when the rangers win the cup.
I remember to this day the SI article on them...

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
There is so much wrong with this post...

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

I was about to flip out until I noticed who the poster was. As mentioned Jared would have to make a significant upgrade in ability this year to even be considered a late 2nd round pick. I'd take him late in the 3rd round, if at the very least to make Marc happy.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

i must admit, for the longest time, i too thought he was the most talented of the 4 for the same reason.

thats why im not going to jump down rcallahan43's throat, its an honest mistake, one i probably would have made not too long ago as well.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
He wont be a top 5 draft pick... and I dont have any desire to go out and get him.. if he is there in the 2nd/3rd round and we need him, I would take him otherwise I would not go out of my way to get him.... still early but it sounds like he is not as talented as the other three...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
The other Hossa is a playoff jinx, he can stay where he is.
he looks like he made fun of marcel alot when he was littler. He just seems like the evil brother...

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id trade marcel for marian a billion times over and be thrilled like a school girl.

there is nobody on the rangers roster, except for staal, henrik, and jagr that i wouldnt do straight up for hossa.

you guys are kidding yourselves if youre saying you wouldnt want him on this team. id give mine, and sathers left nut to get him here.

Old
08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
id trade marcel for marian a billion times over and be thrilled like a school girl.

there is nobody on the rangers roster, except for staal, henrik, and jagr that i wouldnt do straight up for hossa.

you guys are kidding yourselves if youre saying you wouldnt want him on this team. id give mine, and sathers left nut to get him here.
you wouldn't trade staal or jagr straight up for marian.....

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
you wouldn't trade staal or jagr straight up for marian.....
no. defense wins. staal has the chance to be an elite defensive player.

and trading jagr would be dumb just based on his salary alone. hes a 4 million dollar hit, what is marians hit going to be? 7 mil?

and even still, as good as marian is, jagr is better.

Old
08-28-2007, 08:25 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Really? I ahve to disagree with that.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
wow, seriously bro?

the guy averages 35 goals, and 41 assists in his 9 year career. thats a heckuva performance especially since most of it was in the clutch and grab era.

these last 2 years hes averaged 96 points a year. thats amazing.

Old
08-29-2007, 02:33 AM
in the hall

Quote:
no. defense wins. staal has the chance to be an elite defensive player.

Quote:
and trading jagr would be dumb just based on his salary alone. hes a 4 million dollar hit, what is marians hit going to be? 7 mil?
jagr makes that little for this season.. marian's deal is a bargain now and beyond this season

marian 28
jagr 35

Quote:
and even still, as good as marian is, jagr is better.
certainly wasn't the case last year.. at the very least debatable

Old
08-29-2007, 02:34 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
exactly what about marian makes him so undesirable??

Old
08-29-2007, 03:01 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I saw people saying about Jered Staal going in the 08 Draft, but I thought he wasn't going to be able to enter until 2009? I haven't heard much about him at all, and I'm sure he won't be quite as good as the first 3 Staals, but he'd at least be worth a chance in the 2nd or 3rd round if he drops that far in whichever season he is available.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote