HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank Our Atlantic Division Rivals

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
I also think Malik takes yet another leap
Did you just confuse Malik & Malkin?

Old
08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Alcoolique*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think the devils lost too much in Rafalski and Gomez to compete for the division..Just way too many question marks and i think they are this years Flyers to be honest...A team that just can't put it together...
Can't put it together?The PZL line will still be there,Same goes for the Checking line(Clarkson will be an upgrade over Brylin)And you have a better 4rth line , with the additions of Asham and Brylin/Clarkson on the 4rth line.Of course, replacing Gomez by Zubrus, won't replace the talent of Gomez, But still, I can see Zubrus putting honest points btw the range of 50-60points(Which was the same amount by a certain Scotty Gomez...), Between Gionta and Elias.Losing Ralfaski is a hit, but still, Lou and the Devils are getting bigger(Vishnevski,Rachunek,Asham,Zubrus)Which is a good way to go, Since the last 2series, we lost by our lack of "physical" .I can see some improvements from Greene,Martin,Oduya..And Matty will play 50-55games this season, Which wasn't the case for last year.Don't forget the major addition of the Devils Off-season..BRENT SUTTER! The guy was the best Coach availabe on the Coachs market.. He played under Al Arbour ,he's a Sutter and won 2Gold medals/Memorial Cup in 2001 with the Red Deer Rebels.He's a non-nonsense Coach, who demands Respect from his players, uses the FORECHECK(Which wasn't the case of ...Julien)More physical play.

And..Your gonna say Adding 2new centers will help the chemistry of the Rangers?And that Locker room?Along with Avery.......

I see this division going this way.

1-Penguins
2-Devils/Rangers
3-Devils/Rangers
4-Flyers
5-Islanders

Putting the Devils 5th is just a joke.

Old
08-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac View Post
Zubrus had 2 career years in a row playing with Ovechkin. Prior to that he was averaging 30pts a season.. maybe he'll work out, but it's a huge step down from Gomez who in your last game was described by Cheeco as "the engine of the devils offense"

Losing Rafalski and replacing him with Rachunek (average dman at best) & Vishnevski (career -15) could be devastating, and Marty is another year older. I wouldn't be so confident if I were a Devils fan. But you're right, 5th is a joke, I put them 3rd -- just barely.

Old
08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Zubrus had 2 career years in a row playing with Ovechkin. Prior to that he was averaging 30pts a season.. maybe he'll work out, but it's a huge step down from Gomez who in your last game was described by Cheeco as "the engine of the devils offense"

Losing Rafalski and replacing him with Rachunek (average dman at best) & Vishnevski (career -15) could be devastating, and Marty is another year older. I wouldn't be so confident if I were a Devils fan. But you're right, 5th is a joke, I put them 3rd -- just barely.
Yeah, like Ovechkin is doing all the hits, all the good working in the corners of Zubrus? And playing with Elias and Gionta will not help him?RIGHHT.While putting 8points with the 3rd line of Buffalo in 15games,..Is bad right?

The engine of the Devils offence?Sorry dude, Gomez played his ass off for having a HUGE CONTRACT during the Playoffs(Which he got overpaid by the Rangers)Wanna talk about Zubrus?Lets talk about Gomez.

70pts,62pts,48pts,55pts,70pts,84pts,60pts.

Isn't that kind of inconsistent?Gomez is talented for sure, but he's also overrated,He's inconsistent, when he doesn't want to show up for a game, HE DOESN'T.Losing Ralfaski?a 34year old guy, Who was good Offensevely and was poor at Defense?And got pushed off by the Opposite top lines vs the Lightning and the Sens?Oh right..Marty another year older?so?Its like saying: " Jagr will be another year older."

Oh and btw, Where did I say Vishnevski and Rachunek will replace Ralfaski?Martin/Greene on the PP?Martin on the TOP Defensive unit?With Greene improving,Parise improving,Zajac improving,Martin improving....

Old
08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think the long and the short of it is this is going to be a ridiculously hard division. i wouldnt be shocked at all if every team made the playoffs. The reason i have the islanders so low is because i dont know where the offense is coming from.

they remind me a lot of the rangers before the lockout. not from a "use free agents and trades for old vets to plug your holes" point of a view, but from a house made of cards point of view.

the biggest problem to me, from those years, was our depth. i need to look it up again, but i seem to remember those teams would always start off hot, or well enough to make the playoffs, but then they would get 1 or 2 injuries, and everything would fall apart. then they would try to make trades to plug their holes using kids, further depleting their depth.

that lineup has 3 goal scorers, and a ton of 3rd liners. if you shut down guerin, comrie, and satan, youll win, hands down (unless dipi stands on his head)

most of the other teams have enough offensive depth to be able to win if their top 3 dont score.

Last edited by Inferno: 08-28-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old
08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Lets us not forget this.........

Mar Penguins Rangers
Wed Mar 19, 2008 Rangers Devils
Fri Mar 21, 2008 Rangers Flyers
Tue Mar 25, 2008 Flyers Rangers
Thu Mar 27, 2008 Devils Rangers
Sun Mar 30, 2008 Rangers Penguins
Mon Mar 31, 2008 Penguins Rangers
Thu Apr 3, 2008 Rangers Islanders
Fri Apr 4, 2008 Islanders Rangers
Sun Apr 6, 2008 Rangers Devils

08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Can't put it together?The PZL line will still be there,Same goes for the Checking line(Clarkson will be an upgrade over Brylin)And you have a better 4rth line , with the additions of Asham and Brylin/Clarkson on the 4rth line.Of course, replacing Gomez by Zubrus, won't replace the talent of Gomez, But still, I can see Zubrus putting honest points btw the range of 50-60points(Which was the same amount by a certain Scotty Gomez...), Between Gionta and Elias.Losing Ralfaski is a hit, but still, Lou and the Devils are getting bigger(Vishnevski,Rachunek,Asham,Zubrus)Which is a good way to go, Since the last 2series, we lost by our lack of "physical" .I can see some improvements from Greene,Martin,Oduya..And Matty will play 50-55games this season, Which wasn't the case for last year.Don't forget the major addition of the Devils Off-season..BRENT SUTTER! The guy was the best Coach availabe on the Coachs market.. He played under Al Arbour ,he's a Sutter and won 2Gold medals/Memorial Cup in 2001 with the Red Deer Rebels.He's a non-nonsense Coach, who demands Respect from his players, uses the FORECHECK(Which wasn't the case of ...Julien)More physical play.

And..Your gonna say Adding 2new centers will help the chemistry of the Rangers?And that Locker room?Along with Avery.......

I see this division going this way.

1-Penguins
2-Devils/Rangers
3-Devils/Rangers
4-Flyers
5-Islanders

It might be a joke to you but it's what i think...

I don't think the Devils improved and I think the loss of Rafalski and Gomez wasn't addressed.....

Old
08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Gomez is talented for sure, but he's also overrated,He's inconsistent, when he doesn't want to show up for a game, HE DOESN'T....
LOL at Devils fans trying sell the Rangers fans on Gomez being over rated. We know ALL about Gomez. Weve had the unfortunate task of watching him play GREAT more times than not for years as an opponent....please enough already.

If he didnt show up psyched for every game it was only because he was tired of playing in the energy void which was the Swamp and it's weak attendence.

LOL LOL LOL

He'll be pumped! MSG and the fans will make sure of it.

Hu Rah

Old
08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
It might be a joke to you but it's what i think...

I don't think the Devils improved and I think the loss of Rafalski and Gomez wasn't addressed.....

btw i have

1.pens
2.devils/rangers
3.devils/rangers
4.flyers
5.islanders

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 08-28-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old
08-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Your gonna say Adding 2 new centers will help the chemistry of the Rangers?And that Locker room?Along with Avery.......
LOL

Shanahan and Jagr, Marty Straka will lead this team well. They are the ones with the most at stake.

You have two of the greatest players to ever play the game together with really one last shot at the pie. They know whats at stake, and they have the teams respect.

Shanahan and Jagr will lead this team , with all its talented, colorful egos and personalities, DEEEEEEEEEEEEP into the playoffs.

Than the hockey Gods must be appeased

Old
08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Any visiting non-Ranger fans:

This is a Ranger board. Pro-Ranger sentiments are to be expected. If you wish to join the conversation, great, if you are going to mock any pro-Ranger bias, don't bother.

This will not become another Ranger-Devil crapfest. Otherwise points will be given. Or more.

08-28-2007, 09:22 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
The Devils are the Devils, and until someone knocks them down I refuse to bet against them. It has only bitten me in the past.
Good call.

The Rangers, Devils and Penguins should be in a tight race this season for first in the division.

Old
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

Mar Penguins Rangers
Correct me if i'm wrong but dont the rangers play the Isles during that time span also. Should be an interesting race towards the end of the season.

Old
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

Mar Penguins Rangers
That's crazy.

Old
08-28-2007, 09:55 PM
chromemaro

good thread...i have to say that as a flyers fan i am somewhat impressed that most of u think of the team in the same way i do. (borderline playoff team)

honestly id have to put it this way

Rangers/Pens
Rangers/Pens
Devils /Flyers
devils/flyers
isles

i do not think the islanders improved and although they were not picked to do great last year, i dont think they will be a playoff contender this year.

as for the rest of the teams:
Rangers: Im not sold on the rangers bottom six/ the lack of a proven back up goalie.
Pens: I still do not trust Fleury nor do i like skyora. But with all the talent this team has its hard to count them out.
Devils: not sure what to say about them..they "changed" but im not sure if its better or worse. added size but lost skill...two best moves IMO would be their coach and weeks

Old
08-28-2007, 10:00 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
two best moves IMO would be their coach and weeks
Maybe their coach..but Weekes? I think he'll do more harm than good.

However, Chrome, It is a good argument to put up stating the Rags backup goalie situation, Lundy can only do so much and we may get semi-burned in that department with Valiquette.. however that might not be the only option, time will tell.

Edit: Rangers top 9 is a good setup, or I should say top 8 considering we really don't know that 9th spot yet. Betts is betts, he's a great player, not point-wise...but we know.

Old
08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
1. Rangers
2. Penguins
3. Flyers
4. Devils
5. Islanders

I think Pittsburgh will take a step back, but I also think the Devils and obviously the Islanders will as well.

Philadelphia has plenty of talent to make a run at the division, but as us Rangers fans know whenever you have a great deal of turnover from one season to the next nothing is guaranteed. I think Philly might start slow in the first half as the team forges an identity, but I'm sure they'll turn it on at some point. Don't ask me why, as it runs counter to my idea that the team will take time to gel, but I have a feeling that Gagne will explode and score over 50 goals.

The Devils will be hurt by losing Rafalski and Gomez. It's just really difficult to lose one of your top forwards and your top defenseman in the same offseason without and drop in play. Brodeur is always good for stealing some wins back there, but you have to wonder how long he'll be able to maintain his incredible play. I'm not saying this is the year where he starts to lose his game, I just wonder if he'll be able to excel for 75+ games again. Zubrus doesn't impress me, I've watched him in Washington for the past few years and never seen anything more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I have no idea where he'll play on the Devils but I can't see him netting more than 50 points, even on the top line. Not much in the swamp that scares me.

If MAF steps up for the Pens then they'll be dangerous as well. I don't think that he really will though, just a hunch. Should Sidney Crosby have to miss any time at all the Penguins are in trouble. I know the same can be said for most teams if their best player were to go down, but I feel like Pittsburgh is more reliant on Crosby than any other team is on their top player (save Washington). I'm a bit skeptical of the defense as well.

The Isles will be the Isles. I'm sure Nolan will have the boys motivated and playing hard, but I just don't see the talent there to make any kind of serious run... Especially with the rest of the talented teams in the division. They were a fringe playoff team last season with IMO a good bit more talent than what they've got now. They'll still play us tough though, that's for sure.

It's just pain.
Old
08-28-2007, 10:10 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
rangers are the best and they will rise above all. its that simple.

^^hopefully

1.Rangers
2.Penguins
3.devils
4.philly
5.fishsticks

Old
08-28-2007, 10:11 PM
PavelBure9

I think the Rangers have probably the best depth with Pittsburgh.

The Rangers scorrers, playmakers: Jagr, Shanahan, Prucha, Straka, Avery,Drury, Gomez,

The Pittsburgh scorers, playmakers: Crosby, Malkin, Malone, Staal, Sykora, Christiansen, Armstrong

The defense i would have to say that Pittsburgh has the offensive edge on defense, but not the defensive edge on defense. Witney, Sydor, and Gonchar i think are very good Offensive defensemen but i would rather take a real defensive group because i think our defensive team is underrated.

Ad tell me ranger fans who would u take MAF or Henrk?

Old
08-28-2007, 10:14 PM
PavelBure9

I see the atlantic as

Rangers 105 points
Pittsburgh 100 points
Flyers 93 points
Devils 83 points (defenseive game is al they play so i think they will miss the cut)
Islanders 74 points (sorry fishies but u just dont impress me lol)

Old
08-28-2007, 10:15 PM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Maybe their coach..but Weekes? I think he'll do more harm than good.

However, Chrome, It is a good argument to put up stating the Rags backup goalie situation, Lundy can only do so much and we may get semi-burned in that department with Valiquette.. however that might not be the only option, time will tell.

Edit: Rangers top 9 is a good setup, or I should say top 8 considering we really don't know that 9th spot yet. Betts is betts, he's a great player, not point-wise...but we know.
i see weeks as a step in the right direction. IMO They realize that their Defense is has been getting "worse" every year for the last couple of years, (sorry devils fans but i am speaking of the many hits u have taken since the cup, ie. losing stevens, niedmeyer, etc) and because of this Brodeur will not be as protected and therefore play less games.

Old
08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
i see weeks as a step in the right direction. IMO They realize that their Defense is has been getting "worse" every year for the last couple of years, (sorry devils fans but i am speaking of the many hits u have taken since the cup, ie. losing stevens, niedmeyer, etc) and because of this Brodeur will not be as protected and therefore play less games.
Weekes had a pretty inconsistent year last season but he's still a good backup goalie. If he was consistently excellent then he'd be a starting goaltender and not a backup, something a lot of people on this board lose sight of. He'll be good for you guys.

Old
08-28-2007, 10:40 PM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Weekes had a pretty inconsistent year last season but he's still a good backup goalie. If he was consistently excellent then he'd be a starting goaltender and not a backup, something a lot of people on this board lose sight of. He'll be good for you guys.

gah im a flyers fan

i was just trying to be neutral

Old
08-28-2007, 10:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
gah im a flyers fan

i was just trying to be neutral
Wow yeah my fault didn't read the whole post. Sorry about that .

Old
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
broadwayblue

I don't agree on Weekes. He's a great teammate, but on the ice he's good for 3 goals allowed every game. Are the Devils going to be able to score 4 or more to win for him?

Closed Thread