HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Generals Training Camp Notes

Old
08-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

vCash: 500
Generals Training Camp Notes

Hey guys I'll keep you updated on the notes of the Gens Camp the roster can be found here: http://www.oshawagenerals.com/fanzone/rogsblog.php

Interesting Note is that Generals first rounder Justin Shugg is not in camp because of an ongoing debate about his "education package"; rumour has it he (his agent) wants more money...

First day scrimmage results goals: Kewin (2), DeLory, MacLean (3), Musselman (3), Nagy, Howard, Mitchell & Free.

Anthony Peters has looked shaky, and I thought that Kody Musselman looked real good out there...The younger brother of Brett MacLean is also in camp

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
leafmon

Thanks SJS. Nice to see Mussleman triple last years goal output in one game. OK OK I'll leave him be .
Read in the paper that Dean Howard put on twenty pounds. How did he look?

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
barfy2000

Now...if only Kory Nagy can score during the real season...Poor guy.

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Day Two Notes

Day two was a bit more interesting some notes:

Gens 3rd round pick Calvin De Haan has looked out of place, he is not strong enough yet to be a OHL player, he was run over a few times.

Anthony Peters is still struggling, the backup spot was his to lose this year, and at this rate I could see Packwood backing him up and I have been pretty impressed with him.

Our recent pickup of Hayes has looked great, scored some goals, he's always moving and has some chemistry with Mitchell and Parnham.

I wouldnt be surprised if Corey Cowick is moved, he's done nothing in camp..

Tyler Taylor has put on some weight (thank god), and has had some really good hits. Kory Nagy is also a bit larger than last season. Dean Howard came to camp 21 pounds heavier than he was last year, hopefully that translates into some success this season for him.

Dmitri Levin has been good in camp as well, I thought we could only have two import players in camp but he's a guy who played a few games last year with the Gens, from what I've seen he should make this team.

Ziga Pance hasn't shown me anything as in I havent seen anything at all from him, I can't notice him on the ice..ever

Not impressed with the way Seegmiller is playing, but have been impressed with DeLory. Eric Regan has also looked solid so far.

Two fights so far have been Musselman vs Hay (free agent from BC) and Levin vs Clutterbuck.

I don't see either Corrente or De Haan making this team at this point, they have not impressed me. One kid who has is Andreoff who should in fact get a lot of opportunities in pre-season to make the team.

12th round pick Shawn Sirman has left camp to pursue a NCAA scholarship.

Kewin has looked like he's been working hard in the offseason.

Despite his points in the scrimmages, I don't see Musselman making this team.

Franchini is on the bubble I think, he was great in tier 2 last year, now ii don't see him really making this team as of right now..

Old
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Kinger27

Why isnt Jarram in camp?

Kinger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

He's at the Red Wings rookie camp I believe

Old
08-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Boomhower

It doesn't start for another 8 days, no way Jarram has already left.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Jarram is away at some sort of Red Wings rookie camp, I know that for a fact, no reason to get worried.....Same with Ryan McGinnis he's not in camp because he's with the Edmonton Oilers....

Old
08-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Kinger27

How come Clutterbuck is in camp with the gens when he's on the minnesota rookie camp team playing in the same tourny against Jarram and the Wings

Old
08-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

i think im not 100% but Jarram and McGinnis are at rookie camps not rookie tournaments, there with the Red Wings and Oilers respectively in some shape or form......Barring either of them getting a pro contract they will be in Oshawa this season.....As for Clutterbuck I don't think he will be back he's just in camp for now...But never say never (Tsmikalis last year)

Old
08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Training Camp Cutdowns..

Here are the players left in camp for the Gens as of Friday...

TEAM RED

30 Kovar

33 Perkins

3 de Haan

4 Del Zotto

18 Levin

24 Corrente

25 DeLory

28 Parker

11 Taylor

12 Franchini

15 Leeming

16 Howard

17 Nagy

B. MacLean

23 Musselman

27 Kewin

TEAM WHITE

1 Peters

31 Packwood

4 Hay

6 Seegmiller

8 Pelland

22 Regan

26 Brown

7 Mitchell

11 Esposto

14 Free

15 Clutterbuck

16 Andreoff

20 Cowick

21 Hayes

28 Parnham

29 Pance

Old
09-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Kinger27

Generals have there 1st round pick Shugg signed and in camp now and will be getting Jarram and McGinnis into the mix along with Taveras in the next couple weeks so things are looking up.

Old
09-02-2007, 12:46 AM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

The Oshawa Generals welcomed their number one draft pick to training camp on Friday.

Justin Shugg, the 10th overall selection in the Ontario Hockey League’s Priority selection in May, made his debut with the Generals and took part in his first on-ice workouts at the General Motors Centre.

Shugg is a 5-foot-9, 175-pound right winger from Niagara Falls who is considered a highly skilled offensive player and fast skater. He scored 65 goals and 113 points in 70 games with Niagara Falls last season.

Meanwhile the club has announced their will be no inter-squad games for the weekend and will conduct only off-ice sessions on Saturday. On Sunday both the Red and White teams in camp will hold practices starting at 1 p.m. at the GMC.

With Shugg now in camp, there were 33 players taking part in the inter-squad game on Friday, with John Tavares at the Canada/Russia Super Series and Ryan McGinnis (Edmonton) and David Jarram (Detroit) fulfilling NHL commitments at the moment.

General Manager/Coach Brad Selwood continues to be pleased with what he’s seen from his players so far.

“The conditioning overall has been very good and the vast majority of the guys are prepared to battle hard for a place on this team,” Selwood says. “We’re going to have a very interesting week and we’ll be in a much better position to ***** our club overall after we play some exhibition games, but I’m quite pleased with what they have shown so far.”

The Generals open their pre-season schedule on Monday at the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex in Newmarket against the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors. Game time is 2:30 p.m.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
How has Kovar looked?

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

He's looked real good, he's definitely the guy in camp as of now....theres 4 goalies left in camp and right now Kovar is the #1 guy with Packwood a distant second

Old
09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Kinger27

http://www.oshawagenerals.com/pressb...ent.php?ID=308 .. Generals roster heading into the season

Old
09-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Alright guys I haven't updated this in forever....but heres my observations of the guys who were on the bubble and my roster assesment:

Kory Nagy: Guy is by far the best defensive forward the Gens have. I think he's got a spot on this team, he had a fight in the Petes game and held his own.

Ziga Pance: The work ethic is second to none, if his hands ever catch up to his skating he'll put up some points..To me he's earned a spot on this team if he is traded I could see him putting up points on a rebuilding team.

David Corrente: If a hat-trick isn't enough to make this team I dont know what is.. He's not afraid of physical play but he doesn't engage it...yet he's still growing. He should be the #8 guy, which may mean Junior A if the gens only carry 7 dman.

Murray Free: He had a good game tonight, but I don't see him bringing anything to the team that it doesn't already have, he'll be traded or sent to tier 2 most likely.

Greg Brown: He's an odd man out...Don't think he has what it takes to succeed in the OHL. He lacks puck skills.

Nick Esposto: If he was a year older, I see him on this team..A year of tier two will do him good and I'd expect him to play 9 games as a roster call up at some point; Excellent draft pickup.

Marc Franchini: If Selwood doesn't hold on to this guy I hope he succeeds elsewhere...He maybe small but this guy oozes offensive potential. I think this kid needs a shot early in the season with some guys who know what to do offensively and let him see what he can do...Him and Parnham looked good out there together. But he lacks the size that other players on the bubble have.

Jeff Hayes: He's small but man he's got heart and some hands. Selwood didn't trade for him to see him on the pine..He's a 3rd liner on this team and a great PK guy.

Packwood and Peters: If you ask me; you keep Peters...Packwood has played really well in the preseason, I would definitely think a team would be interested in his services.....But Selwood has hinted that he wants to run with an older and a younger tender. If its me I take Peters; he's got the no nonsense attitude and is cocky; everything I like in a goalie.

Kody Musselman: He'll no doubt be suspended for jumping the bench against Peterborough but he's had a great camp and I don't think Selwood will let him go........Yet

Corey Cowick: He's had a decent camp; he rag-dolled a guy on the Petes, I could see him being moved, but if he's on the team I would like to see him improve on his offence.

Tyler Taylor: He has no offence, not a great fighter and undisciplined, I think he gets moved.

My team (If I'm GM)

Forwards:
Brett MacLean
Justin Shugg
Ziga Pance
John Tavares
Brett Parnham
Shea Kewin
Kory Nagy
Dale Mitchell
Dean Howard
Jeff Hayes
Marc Franchini
Kody Musselman
Corey Cowick
David Jarram

Defense:
Michael Del Zotto
Eric Regan
Ryan McGinnis
Eric Regan
James DeLory
Dimitri Levin
John Quarrie or Matt Seegmiller

Corrente: plays in junior A, he's just a victim of the numbers game this season...And I think Seegmiller could be moved just because Quarrie was signed and I doubt Selwood is that dumb to move a guy he just signed..

Goalies:
Jakub Kovar
Anthony Peters

Old
09-17-2007, 07:43 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka View Post
Alright guys I haven't updated this in forever....but heres my observations of the guys who were on the bubble and my roster assesment:

Kory Nagy: Guy is by far the best defensive forward the Gens have. I think he's got a spot on this team, he had a fight in the Petes game and held his own.

Ziga Pance: The work ethic is second to none, if his hands ever catch up to his skating he'll put up some points..To me he's earned a spot on this team if he is traded I could see him putting up points on a rebuilding team.

David Corrente: If a hat-trick isn't enough to make this team I dont know what is.. He's not afraid of physical play but he doesn't engage it...yet he's still growing. He should be the #8 guy, which may mean Junior A if the gens only carry 7 dman.

Murray Free: He had a good game tonight, but I don't see him bringing anything to the team that it doesn't already have, he'll be traded or sent to tier 2 most likely.

Greg Brown: He's an odd man out...Don't think he has what it takes to succeed in the OHL. He lacks puck skills.

Nick Esposto: If he was a year older, I see him on this team..A year of tier two will do him good and I'd expect him to play 9 games as a roster call up at some point; Excellent draft pickup.

Marc Franchini: If Selwood doesn't hold on to this guy I hope he succeeds elsewhere...He maybe small but this guy oozes offensive potential. I think this kid needs a shot early in the season with some guys who know what to do offensively and let him see what he can do...Him and Parnham looked good out there together. But he lacks the size that other players on the bubble have.

Jeff Hayes: He's small but man he's got heart and some hands. Selwood didn't trade for him to see him on the pine..He's a 3rd liner on this team and a great PK guy.

Packwood and Peters: If you ask me; you keep Peters...Packwood has played really well in the preseason, I would definitely think a team would be interested in his services.....But Selwood has hinted that he wants to run with an older and a younger tender. If its me I take Peters; he's got the no nonsense attitude and is cocky; everything I like in a goalie.

Kody Musselman: He'll no doubt be suspended for jumping the bench against Peterborough but he's had a great camp and I don't think Selwood will let him go........Yet

Corey Cowick: He's had a decent camp; he rag-dolled a guy on the Petes, I could see him being moved, but if he's on the team I would like to see him improve on his offence.

Tyler Taylor: He has no offence, not a great fighter and undisciplined, I think he gets moved.

My team (If I'm GM)

Forwards:
Brett MacLean
Justin Shugg
Ziga Pance
John Tavares
Brett Parnham
Shea Kewin
Kory Nagy
Dale Mitchell
Dean Howard
Jeff Hayes
Marc Franchini
Kody Musselman
Corey Cowick
David Jarram

Defense:
Michael Del Zotto
Eric Regan
Ryan McGinnis
Eric Regan
James DeLory
Dimitri Levin
John Quarrie or Matt Seegmiller

Corrente: plays in junior A, he's just a victim of the numbers game this season...And I think Seegmiller could be moved just because Quarrie was signed and I doubt Selwood is that dumb to move a guy he just signed..

Goalies:
Jakub Kovar
Anthony Peters
On D I pretty much agree except for :
Corrente stays....this kid is a real nice skater and puck handler for a 91....nice point shot too

I'd dump Levin in a heartbeat....he is a 88 that is a little slow ...not real physical and makes brutal decision after brutal decision with the puck and gets caught out of position on a regular basis.........looks real bad as a 88 in training camp with a lot of good guys missing

Is it me or does Del Zotto look like he has picked up another gear with his wheels ?

Old
09-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Del Zotto looks like he's faster and is more willing to throw a hit down as well.....I'd have to agree but who would you rather have riding the pine a rookie who could be logging minutes elsewhere(Levin vs Corrente)..Corrente if he makes this team should see spot duty 5 on 5 but I think he'd be a nice addition to the power play..

Old
09-18-2007, 03:41 PM
leafmon

I think they will bring Corrente along slowly .

Nice job on the forwards by the way,
The top two lines will have Tavares and McLean and Parnham and Mitchell but it will be interesting to see how they fill out. We may have to wait some time though keeping in mind McLean is going to miss the first five games.

Old
09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
nobodyzgirl98

McLean has already served 2 of the 6 games during the Play-offs, so he'll only miss 4 regular season games.

nobodyzgirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

I think we'll see another similar situation as last year: Once the Gens add two better OA's I think Jarram is out the door similar to Belan, if Jarram even reports he hasn't yet..

Old
09-19-2007, 07:15 AM
leafmon

It seems like good OA's are much harder to find these days then in the past. The Gens IMO are in trouble in this dept because they are still paying the price for really poor drafting during the Burnett years.

Old
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Kinger27

Jarram will be here the whole year as there is no other good OA's out there..the OA's will be McGinnis and Jarram and hopefully they add one more OA that can score some goals somehow someway. Hopefully Clutterbuck will come back but that is highly unlikely

Old
09-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Kinger27

McGinnis is officially on the team now as per Roger Lajoie blog on the generals website.. and the team has traded M.Franchini to Owen Sound for some draft picks