HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

some "hockey fans" can be pretty dumb

Old
08-30-2007, 04:14 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
I ahte it when i ask some if they like the NHL and they say sort of, and i dont know. how can you not know? OMG! theres this girl in my grade who likes the sabres and i told her how much i hate them, and then my other friend is like "yah, she really hates them" In science class we would be sitting there and she would write i love buffalo, then i would scribble it out in a rage of furry.
sounds rough. my advice... tell her only fat people like buffalo. i'm just kidding... but really i mean it.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
they are the worst fans in sports. everytime i meet one my first question is are you a real devil fan or a devil playoff fan. then, i avoid them for the rest of my life. i cant explain how much i hate these fake devils fans. every now and then when i meet a real devil fan we always have a great talk about hockey, i wish there were more of them out there. it really doesn't suprise me though, springsteen sells out that place more than the devils.
Yeah dude, some asshat I used to hang out with was only a Devil's fan during the playoffs. During the regular season, he watches like, two games. He gets really cocky during the post season, too.

I don't talk to him anymore, he's a ****.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
With respect to MSG is the place to be, he did put "hockey fans" in quotes.

But I agree with everyone here, anyone who decides to talk hockey in public better know what they are talking about if they are talking to real fan, especially those who spend a ton of time discussing it at length on forums like this one.

Unlike most major sports fans who are desensitized to the casual fan and their stupid remarks, it stings a little more for hockey fans because its a sport that garners little respect to begin with. Then you get someone in your face spewing the most absurd crap while you have no choice but to sit there and just shake your head wishing one of us were there to see how stupid the guy sounds. Theres no use of even proving him wrong at that point because its over-ignorance.

I feel your pain MSG.
Scene: Me, few other people, and a lady wearing an islanders jacket (with glasses so huge her cheeks could probably see) in an elevator circa late march 2007

Me: Ooooh so you guys lost Dipietro now huh, so much for getting those needed points, eh?? eh??

Lady: *Frightened Blank stare* "Uhhh, yeah."

[Lady exits elevator]

I'm assuming this broad was probably just wearing her husbands jacket....?

Or my other favorite work scenario:

Girl: "Did you watch the game last night ash? My bf watched it, he kept screaming at the tv"
Me: "Oh I didn't know your bf was a rangers/hockey fan..."
Girl: "Yeah thats what I said to him, He said he was a fan when they made it to the playoffs."

I didn't even have a comment after that was said....

People usually get freaked out if I try to talk hockey with them and look at me like I have a third arm growing out of my forehead.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Scene: Me, few other people, and a lady wearing an islanders jacket (with glasses so huge her cheeks could probably see) in an elevator circa late march 2007

Me: Ooooh so you guys lost Dipietro now huh, so much for getting those needed points, eh?? eh??

Lady: *Frightened Blank stare* "Uhhh, yeah."

[Lady exits elevator]

I'm assuming this broad was probably just wearing her husbands jacket....?

Or my other favorite work scenario:

Girl: "Did you watch the game last night ash? My bf watched it, he kept screaming at the tv"
Me: "Oh I didn't know your bf was a rangers/hockey fan..."
Girl: "Yeah thats what I said to him, He said he was a fan when they made it to the playoffs."

I didn't even have a comment after that was said....

People usually get freaked out if I try to talk hockey with them and look at me like I have a third arm growing out of my forehead.
i was loading groceries into my car wearing my gretzky rangers jersey and a rangers hat about a month ago, and a guy suddenly shouts LETS GO RANGERS, and i turn around and am like, yeah baby! weve got a helluva team this year dontcha think?! he was like, i dont know, i just thought your jersey was cool

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
The kid grew up in Atlanta and he's talking about hockey. Enough said.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 07:59 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
I ahte it when i ask some if they like the NHL and they say sort of, and i dont know. how can you not know? OMG! theres this girl in my grade who likes the sabres and i told her how much i hate them, and then my other friend is like "yah, she really hates them" In science class we would be sitting there and she would write i love buffalo, then i would scribble it out in a rage of furry.
same thing happens to me ill be walking in the hallway with a ranger t-shirt or jersey and some random kid will just say rangers suck. I turn around already knowing that they are a fishsticks fan because 70% of the kids like them in my school. And i'll say "take a look standings" or "Who won last night?". And they will just keep walking or stop and something stupid like "The islanders are in first place" Which makes no sense because they never were for the last two years.

Then theirs kid on my bus last year who everyday what just say something stupid like "Blake is better then Jagr" or "The Rangers are never going to win the Cup again". Of course i will reply back and ask "Is Blake 600 Goal scorer?" and the kid will say ummmmmm, yah. even tho i know they no clue what their talkin about it still makes me very angry

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 10:59 PM
savemypoorbrain

Send a message via AIM to savemypoorbrain
Quote:
Yeah dude, some asshat I used to hang out with was only a Devil's fan during the playoffs. During the regular season, he watches like, two games. He gets really cocky during the post season, too.

Hey now, at least having bandwagoners sells seats!

savemypoorbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post

thats because we always make the playoffs

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 12:46 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
im sitting here at the university of maryland watching the red sox yankees game...all of a sudden a friend of mine was like i wish we could watch rangers games this year (i told him about sopcast but thats besides the point). Then this kid i just met tonight from Atlanta says "Do you guys think Jagr will make the top 2 lines". PLEASE believe me when I tell you that the kid was dead serious. I started listing the reasons why I had just heard the stupidest statement of all time but it wasnt enough to change the kids' mind.

OT: Do the Rangers get a lot of games on sopcast? I'd watch them if they do. How do you know whether it'll be on there?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 01:50 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
a few years ago I took an english buddy of mine to an oiler/flames game

after about 10minutes he leaned over and asked me "Are there any rules to this game?"

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 02:43 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycrazycanuck View Post

after about 10minutes he leaned over and asked me "Are there any rules to this game?"
ROFL.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Not only that, I heard Christian Dube is challenging Gomez for the top center spot.
Why do you have to take a shot at Dube????!!! In all seriousness, in the new NHL Dube might have had a chance. Poor Mans Marc Savard. He scored 50 goals/150 points in Juniors and scored 51 points in 57 games his last yr with the Pack. He's still a PPG guy in the swiss leagues.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 05:54 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycrazycanuck View Post

lol, wow just wow

Old
08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i live in atlanta. some of the thrasher fans i talk to on the nasty nest board are really smart hockey people.
thanks, inferno

hey, come to the opening night tailgate

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 10:36 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
The kid grew up in Atlanta and he's talking about hockey. Enough said.
Sort of akin to a Canadian saying the same of a New Yorker. What would be your reaction to something like that?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 03:57 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Prucha View Post
same thing happens to me ill be walking in the hallway with a ranger t-shirt or jersey and some random kid will just say rangers suck. I turn around already knowing that they are a fishsticks fan because 70% of the kids like them in my school. And i'll say "take a look standings" or "Who won last night?". And they will just keep walking or stop and something stupid like "The islanders are in first place" Which makes no sense because they never were for the last two years.

Then theirs kid on my bus last year who everyday what just say something stupid like "Blake is better then Jagr" or "The Rangers are never going to win the Cup again". Of course i will reply back and ask "Is Blake 600 Goal scorer?" and the kid will say ummmmmm, yah. even tho i know they no clue what their talkin about it still makes me very angry
Yah, last year i was wearing this rangers shirt and i was going to my locker and this kid was walking by and they said "Rangers stink, buffalo is better" and i wanted to turn around and chase that kid down the hall and punch his face in. no one says bad things about the rangers, no body There are like no ranger fans in my school, i swear. The only other person i've ever seen wear any other rangers stuff is this kid like in 11th grade. Oh yah, and 2-3 years ago in 7th grade i put this lets go rangers thing on my locker with a picture of mess, lumpy, gretzkey, and jags and someone drew a mustach on mess apparently they have no respect for any other team

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yah, last year i was wearing this rangers shirt and i was going to my locker and this kid was walking by and they said "Rangers stink, buffalo is better" and i wanted to turn around and chase that kid down the hall and punch his face in. no one says bad things about the rangers, no body There are like no ranger fans in my school, i swear. The only other person i've ever seen wear any other rangers stuff is this kid like in 11th grade. Oh yah, and 2-3 years ago in 7th grade i put this lets go rangers thing on my locker with a picture of mess, lumpy, gretzkey, and jags and someone drew a mustach on mess apparently they have no respect for any other team
kids that age can be mean, vindictive, and downright malicious. its why i have such deep resentment for the devils and their fanbase. i grew up during the height of their success, and ive never been ashamed to support the rangers publically by wearing a hat, or a jersey or a sweatshirt or whatever that has their logo. the devils fans i grew up with were terrible winners, and bandwagoners to the nth degree. it was tough to stomach some of the stuff i heard, especially living in new jersey.

Old
09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
kids that age can be mean, vindictive, and downright malicious. its why i have such deep resentment for the devils and their fanbase. i grew up during the height of their success, and ive never been ashamed to support the rangers publically by wearing a hat, or a jersey or a sweatshirt or whatever that has their logo. the devils fans i grew up with were terrible winners, and bandwagoners to the nth degree. it was tough to stomach some of the stuff i heard, especially living in new jersey.
I like people to know i'm a ranger fan, and i dont care what they say. say what they will it wont stop the rangers from winning

Old
09-02-2007, 04:45 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I heard someone say the Coyotes are one of the best teams in the NHL and that they could probably bring home 2 to 3 of the next decade worth of cups. This was about 3 weeks ago. I gave him the thumbs up, and walked away.

He's just right on the ball with that one

Old
09-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i run into these fake fans all the time and most of them are devil fans. they somehow hear that i am a huge rangers fan and they make some smart ass remark about how the devils are a better team, yet none of them can even tell me whose on the devils 1st line or the last team the devils played. a lot of these fake fans i call playoff fans. they don't bother with the team during the season but when april and may come around they are die hard. simply put i hate devils fans. worst fans in sports.
Same can be said about Rangers fans!!

Every god damn team in any sports has those kind of fans,

When I was young, I knew some friends who were Rangers fans, and they kept bragging about "Devils are a swamp" " At least the Rangers fills up their arena" " Ohhh Boring Devils, your going to celebrate your Stanley cup in a parking lot? " ect...It was deppressive at a point that I just wanted to give up..

Last edited by Alcoolique*: 09-02-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
I heard someone say the Coyotes are one of the best teams in the NHL and that they could probably bring home 2 to 3 of the next decade worth of cups. This was about 3 weeks ago. I gave him the thumbs up, and walked away.

He's just right on the ball with that one
is he serious? has he ever watched a coyotes game or is he just saying that because the great one is the coach?

Old
09-02-2007, 05:21 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
I am of the belief that fans are fans. Yeah, some people (old AND young) can be stupid and malicious, but for the most part, they're all just rooting for their team.

as far as people saying dumb things about hockey (especially in non-traditional hockey markets like where I live), as long as they're trying to learn the sport, or at least showing some interest, I don't have a problem with that. it's the "experts" that are annoying. (i started playing hockey just a few months ago and am amazed at how much i didn't know!! whole different game when you step on the ice yourself...)

does it seem like there are more elitist fans of hockey than other sports? or is it just because this is really the only sport i spend alot of time watching, discussing, etc so i'm exposed to more of it? it just seems like with hockey, people get all bent out of shape if you don't know offside is singular, not plural, for example. (i was chastised for saying "offsides" on another board)

i like anyone who is passioinate about their team, be it the rangers devils, thrashers, giants, braves, nicks, whoEVER...it's an understanding of what it is to be a true fan, and people who aren't into sports just don't get it...

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 05:27 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
is he serious? has he ever watched a coyotes game or is he just saying that because the great one is the coach?
I guess he estimates that Gretzky will go onto the ice and put up 200 points in 82 games.

Old
09-02-2007, 10:24 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
yea when i was in 7th grade i was at my locker and i bent down to but a book in my locker and some kid in a islander shirt ripped it down and i saw him throw it on the floor. So when i turned around and said "What's Your problem" he turned around a screamed "Rangers Suck". Then the bell rang so the kid ran to his class

Last edited by The Perfect Paradox: 09-03-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old
09-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
I am of the belief that fans are fans. Yeah, some people (old AND young) can be stupid and malicious, but for the most part, they're all just rooting for their team.

as far as people saying dumb things about hockey (especially in non-traditional hockey markets like where I live), as long as they're trying to learn the sport, or at least showing some interest, I don't have a problem with that. it's the "experts" that are annoying. (i started playing hockey just a few months ago and am amazed at how much i didn't know!! whole different game when you step on the ice yourself...)

does it seem like there are more elitist fans of hockey than other sports? or is it just because this is really the only sport i spend alot of time watching, discussing, etc so i'm exposed to more of it? it just seems like with hockey, people get all bent out of shape if you don't know offside is singular, not plural, for example. (i was chastised for saying "offsides" on another board)

i like anyone who is passioinate about their team, be it the rangers devils, thrashers, giants, braves, nicks, whoEVER...it's an understanding of what it is to be a true fan, and people who aren't into sports just don't get it...
hehe, i always call it offsides